Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Some of them cyclists would be top contenders for a darwin award. Shocking bad and give the rest a bad name.

As I always say, Bad cycle related infrastructure = Bad cyclists as seen in some of the clips... Irish Roads are designed purely for cars/vans etc, not bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Driver does seem to have a heightened awareness of cyclists. Wonder does he cycle himself or just a better driver than many you encounter out there.

Indeed, or just that little bit aware that he's the one videoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    As I always say, Bad cycle related infrastructure = Bad cyclists as seen in some of the clips... Irish Roads are designed purely for cars/vans etc, not bicycles.

I dont think bad infrastructure can be blamed for all of the idiotic actions in the video. Props to the driver.

The clip at 5.20 where the halfwit is cycling against the flow. Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭francois

8.30 this AM Cork street, driver pulls out of side road, had to slam on brakes, went over and now off work with twisted sprained knee, driver didn't stop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

francois wrote: »
    8.30 this AM Cork street, driver pulls out of side road, had to slam on brakes, went over and now off work with twisted sprained knee, driver didn't stop.

Charming, hope you recover OK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I've come to the conclusion that there's the same proportion of idiots on bikes as there are idiots in cars. It's only the method of transportation that changes, not the people.

Edit: Forgot my own near miss!

I had the same taxi driver close pass me twice in a row last week. It was on one of the windiest days I've ever been out cycling, but this guy didn't seem to know the difference between 1.5m and 1.5". Third time he passed me he left more space. That might have been an accident though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Might be worth seeing if there is any CCTV that might have caught the incident, shop opposite the side road?

Hope you recover soon, knees are tricky, I went over (own fault) and hurt my knee, I didn't realise it was as bad as it was and kept on cycling and it aggravated the injury. Ended being off the bike for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

hope you recover quickly and are back on the bike soon.

do you think the driver saw you fall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭francois

hope you recover quickly and are back on the bike soon.

do you think the driver saw you fall?

I'm not sure-2 girls who saw it said she also nearly hit them at some lights further down the road, may go and make a complaint later.

Doctor recommended some physio before getting back on bike, so as not to aggravate the injury too soon, but 3 weeks should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Second the CCTV comments and report it to the guards. One for the accident and one for leaving. Bad driver giving others a bad rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

Had a few close passes in Belmont Ave in Dublin
    Is a narrow road with cars parked on one side.

On the way home today, cycling from Donnybrook Road -> Sandyford Road

Car squeezes passes me and the footpath. Close enough that I was able to almost fold his passenger mirror with my hand.
    He stopped behind the car waiting to turn in the Sandyford Road, 1 second before me.
    Dropped pin
    near Cloyne, Belmont Ave, Dublin 4
    https://goo.gl/maps/PtSzzWZpd7x

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

bikedude wrote: »
    Had a few close passes in Belmont Ave in Dublin
    Is a narrow road with cars parked on one side.

That road is a rat-run with a lot of traffic trying to skip Donnybrook to get over to Milltown at the best of times; always has been as far back as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

Lemming wrote: »
    That road is a rat-run with a lot of traffic trying to skip Donnybrook to get over to Milltown at the best of times; always has been as far back as I can remember.

This is possibly the most accurate description to this road!

I drove up this road one night and pulled in to let an approaching car through (they had right of way). Car behind me decided now was the time to overtake. ended up blocking the road. I despair for humanity sometimes. Same car mounted the pavement turning right at the top and had to reverse as they had missed the signpost on the pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The IBikeDublin folks appear to have identified a serial shbag. Anyone else who's had the pleasure maybe tweet em.

https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/status/955807287838375936

https://twitter.com/zynks/status/956212278180876288

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

hmm; i wonder if they'd be willing to use it without the permission of the cyclist depicted.

They don't need permission from the cyclist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they don't *need* it. but they may not use it without permission. as it's a current affairs show, i suspect they'd be more inclined to use it than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It's quite a compelling piece of footage though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh, agreed. i'd prefer they did use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Anyone who comes in the N11 will be aware of this blue/white double decker bus that seems to run from Sandyford into the city. For months I have put up with the driver's excessive speeds in the bus lane, creating huge drafts and giving me little room, but this morning he passed me at speed with about a foot of room to spare - frightened the life out of me. No footage but off to make a complaint on their website..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Sitting at a red light yesterday evening. Light went green and I cycled through the junction. As soon as I cleared it the car behind me overtook and pulled back in very quickly. I had to pull the brakes to stop the back of his car clipping me as he moved back in. No oncoming traffic that he was hurrying to avoid.

homer911 wrote: »
    Anyone who comes in the N11 will be aware of this blue/white double decker bus that seems to run from Sandyford into the city. For months I have put up with the driver's excessive speeds in the bus lane, creating huge drafts and giving me little room, but this morning he passed me at speed with about a foot of room to spare - frightened the life out of me. No footage but off to make a complaint on their website..

I put a pic up of them here before from a training bus of theirs. The bus driver apologised but his trainer told me I was incorrect and that I was given plenty of space, he knew, he was also a cyclist.

Their bus touched my elbow, after I had moved in to inside the yellow lines when I could feel the bus pulling in.

They have CCTV on all their buses AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

CramCycle wrote: »
    I put a pic up of them here before from a training bus of theirs. The bus driver apologised but his trainer told me I was incorrect and that I was given plenty of space, he knew, he was also a cyclist.

Their bus touched my elbow, after I had moved in to inside the yellow lines when I could feel the bus pulling in.

They have CCTV on all their buses AFAIK

Had the same this morning, I think just past Nutley lane outbound. Not even the first time this week. They do seem to drive much closer to the cyclist than DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

PaulieC wrote: »
    Had the same this morning, I think just past Nutley lane outbound. Not even the first time this week. They do seem to drive much closer to the cyclist than DB.

I find this in general with the private companies, you notice it much more coming down the quays especially, where DB drivers are usually much more patient and aware the private guys couldn't give a fiddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

I personally find BE the worst culprits of busses, probably because I have more interaction with them than private busses though to be fair.

Taxi men the worst of the lot thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I was nearly sideswiped by a motorist yesterday, nothing serious. Traffic was moving very slowly and I was filtering up the left hand side of the vehicles.

I wouldn't have thought much of it only for the motorist was watching a video on her phone which she had sitting behind her steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

amcalester wrote: »
    I was nearly sideswiped by a motorist yesterday, nothing serious. Traffic was moving very slowly and I was filtering up the left hand side of the vehicles.

I wouldn't have thought much of it only for the motorist was watching a video on her phone which she had sitting behind her steering wheel.

I've seen that trick plenty of times. Absolute madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Absolutely.

This was in the city center, how she hasn't run into the back of someone I don't know.

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote:
    This was in the city center, how she hasn't run into the back of someone I don't know.

This. Absolutely does my head in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement