Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

francois wrote: »
    8.30 this AM Cork street, driver pulls out of side road, had to slam on brakes, went over and now off work with twisted sprained knee, driver didn't stop.

My commute covers Cork street, it has to be one of the worst areas for parking in the cycle / bus lane, especially outside the Aldi/Lidl coming from the city centre. Extremely dangerous when dark to navigate out into bus lane or further to pass these cars, traffic is proceeding at quite a speed too.

Hope you're okay, sounds nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

I find this in general with the private companies, you notice it much more coming down the quays especially, where DB drivers are usually much more patient and aware the private guys couldn't give a fiddlers.

Agreed. I think DB drivers are excellent in my experience, very aware of their size and space, respectful of other road users. They are professional drivers, I think other "professional drivers" could learn a lot from. I have asked DB in the past do they run special training for their drivers in relation to cyclists - no reply, maybe they think I'm trying to catch them out!!
    Some of the tourist bus operators don't appear to afford the same respect to cyclists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

duffer247 wrote: »
    Agreed. I think DB drivers are excellent in my experience, very aware of their size and space, respectful of other road users. They are professional drivers, I think other "professional drivers" could learn a lot from. I have asked DB in the past do they run special training for their drivers in relation to cyclists - no reply, maybe they think I'm trying to catch them out!!
    Some of the tourist bus operators don't appear to afford the same respect to cyclists.

Depends on which DB as well. You can almost tell by route number which ones are going to give you space or time. I find the 145 the best for behaviour around other traffic. Whereas the 46A drievrs seem to have given up on life.

BE drivers over from DB also seem to hold onto the respect bit for awhile at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I've seen that trick plenty of times. Absolute madness.

I've seen it a load of times too over the last 6 months. Life time bans should be handed out for that carry on. If only there was some sort of organisation that should be detecting and prosecuting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

JazzyJ wrote:
    I've seen it a load of times too over the last 6 months. Life time bans should be handed out for that carry on. If only there was some sort of organisation that should be detecting and prosecuting this.

How many times have you seen the glow, whether you're cycling, walking, or beside a car in traffic?? Utterly disgraceful. I'd fully support long bans but it'll never happen unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

rushfan wrote:
    How many times have you seen the glow, whether you're cycling, walking, or beside a car in traffic?? Utterly disgraceful. I'd fully support long bans but it'll never happen unfortunately.

Aye. Same when cruising by traffic on the Luas. Every other driver either talking on their phone, or staring down at their lap..

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Going down the Leopardstown Road last night coming up to the N11, I was in the right lane passing stopped traffic going straight, and a car exiting an estate from the right pulls out on top of me - just about avoided it. Pulled up beside the car and was given a what do you want look by the driver. A big bike rack on the back too :confused:.

I was running decent lights on the handlebar and on the lid. I'm seriously considering using the 3000lm trail light when out on the roads from now on. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

CramCycle wrote: »
    Depends on which DB as well. You can almost tell by route number which ones are going to give you space or time. I find the 145 the best for behaviour around other traffic. Whereas the 46A drievrs seem to have given up on life.

BE drivers over from DB also seem to hold onto the respect bit for awhile at least.

Agreed, the Lucan services (25/25a I think) are ABYSMAL. Had a very close pass by a Kearns coach on the way home yesterday evening on the south Quays, forgot to look at the footage after I got home, I'll definitely be sending it into them as it's a regular occurrence...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Can anybody tell me if it is worthwhile logging a complaint to traffic watch if I don't have video footage? This morning I had to share the bus lane with a car user who was on her phone for most of it, then she cut into the cycle lane without indicating or paying attention so that she could undertake a taxi who was making a right hand turn. I took down her registration and make/model of the car. I'm presuming the guards can't do much without evidence as it is my word against hers but even a call from them might make her reconsider the manner in which she drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Depends on the station it gets assigned to but yes, many of us have gotten a result without videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

purcela wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me if it is worthwhile logging a complaint to traffic watch if I don't have video footage? This morning I had to share the bus lane with a car user who was on her phone for most of it, then she cut into the cycle lane without indicating or paying attention so that she could undertake a taxi who was making a right hand turn. I took down her registration and make/model of the car. I'm presuming the guards can't do much without evidence as it is my word against hers but even a call from them might make her reconsider the manner in which she drives.

Something very similar happened to me. No footage but I rang Trafficwatch anyway and the local Garda Station were in touch the next day.

The Guard said that it would be my word against hers and that it would be difficult to take it to a prosecution but she would go out and speak to the driver anyway. I don't know if she ever called out but I like to think she did and it has made the driver think twice since!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you feel it warrants a call to traffic watch do so.

I found if you report to the station nothing is done but if it goes to traffic watch it's nearly always the traffic corps or now roads policing unit.

They will be able to see if she was in the area ask why was she driving like such etc etc.

She will have to give a statement as will you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Closest I’ve come to being milled out of it this morning, ironically near my house. There’s one turn into an estate that’s a magnet for morons. Crazy amount of incidents at it.

Anyway, heading down the distributor road of my estate and I approach this juntion. It’s not that it’s particularly dangerous - it’s just you’ll have impatient motorists pull out in front of you more often than not.

This morning, a car pulls out from my right, looked at me (I’ve got a solid / strobe on the front) but he gunned it so hard, his front wheels skidded all and he went all over the place (it was wet) and he kind of momentarily lost control of the car. He overtook me, then cut in front of me as there was cars coming against him. Had to brake hard to stop him hitting me.

It was easy enough to catch up with him. The school is about a 15 minute walk, but gridlocked for miles around.

Drew up along side. Tapped on his window. What looked like two of his grand kids were in the back seat. He was an elderly man.

“You nearly hit me back there, seriously dangerous move”.

Him “you need to be more careful”

Me “look, not washing with me. You saw me, pulled out and nearly caused a bad accident. take responsibility for your idiotic driving. Especially with young kids in the back”

What really scares me about Irish drivers is that in 9/10 incidents, drivers seem to be oblivious to their irresponsible behaviour. Goes across all walks of life, not just driving. Lack of personal responsibility seems to be a national trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

"Lack of personal responsibility seems to be a national trait." You hit the nail on the head there.. In your case, I'm sure he knew only too well that he pulled a dangerous move but his instant reaction was to be defensive and attempt to deflect his guilt and the blame to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Had a very near miss yesterday evening at the Stephens Green intersection with the luas, pedestrian stepped off the path as traffic was gridlocked. I'd anticipated someone doing that and slowed, but still had the back wheel up in the air slightly from braking so hard. Had let a shout when I saw her start to step, she just looked at me as if I was mad for shouting, don't think she realised she could have been seriously hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Travelling through to College Green yesterday and noticed the Luas coming past the screen cinema. It had just moved off from a stop signal when a cyclist moved onto the tracks in front of it. Oblivious to impeding the moving tram.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

"Lack of personal responsibility seems to be a national trait." You hit the nail on the head there.. In your case, I'm sure he knew only too well that he pulled a dangerous move but his instant reaction was to be defensive and attempt to deflect his guilt and the blame to you

I once told a motorist he had no functioning brake lights. He said it’s okay, it’s a rental. My response was one of disbelief—it was a company van—so he lost the plot and somehow it was all my fault that his lights do t work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

5uspect wrote: »
    I once told a motorist he had no functioning brake lights. He said it’s okay, it’s a rental. My response was one of disbelief—it was a company van—so he lost the plot and somehow it was all my fault that his lights do t work.

I tapped on someone’s window on the south quays in Dublin, October, 7pm, dark.

“Excuse me, you’ve no lights on”, to which she replied “oh yeah just picked up the car and haven’t figured out how to use the lights yet”.

The mind boggles. :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was turning onto Whitworth road towards Drumcondra today. Had the arm out well in advance, was going fairly slow. It was mid turn a school child darted across the road. Some how we avoided a collision, pretty sure I heard a parent call after them.

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »

I have done this before and most of the time it is met with a thank you and apology. One person though lost the plot before I even talked to them, presuming I was going to give out. A few I judge straight away and so I add in, the gardai will fine you for it, rather than the point of, they should want them working anyway. Very judgmental of me but it makes them think I am being very concerned for them rather than concerned for them and everyone else on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I have done this before and most of the time it is met with a thank you and apology. One person though lost the plot before I even talked to them, presuming I was going to give out. A few I judge straight away and so I add in, the gardai will fine you for it, rather than the point of, they should want them working anyway. Very judgmental of me but it makes them think I am being very concerned for them rather than concerned for them and everyone else on the road.

I knocked on a window last week - ballaclava style scarf probably didnt help her initial reaction – told her that the rear lights were out, front ones and brake lights working fine - she replied like she was in some sort of trouble - "Oh I'm so sorry, I only just got them replaced yesterday, I'll go back to the garage straight away"

Yer grand love, I'm not a garda :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If the RSA can give out free lights to cyclists, I think the AA should give out free bulbs to all those cyclop cars!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    If the RSA can give out free lights to cyclists, I think the AA should give out free bulbs to all those cyclop cars!

While I appreciate the point, it has also highlighted a far more important point, that has been brought up before.

The RSA is a government body, with public funding and hopefully no hidden vested interests (hopefully). The AA however, while brought in by councils, radio shows, national broadcasters, other bodies, are in no way an impartial body. They are a business, they have no remit other than to do the best to make money for their shareholders and to a limited extent some stakeholders such as their customers.

They should not be getting a seat at the table in many of the discussions that they do, and they should not be mistaken for some sort of advice or impartial fact producing group, which they do.

They are a business and nothing else. It is nothing short of sinister the amount of airtime they are GIVEN and the amount of credence and stature they receive by people who should know better.

While I appreciate the point, it has also highlighted a far more important point, that has been brought up before.

The RSA is a government body, with public funding and hopefully no hidden vested interests (hopefully). The AA however, while brought in by councils, radio shows, national broadcasters, other bodies, are in no way an impartial body. They are a business, they have no remit other than to do the best to make money for their shareholders and to a limited extent some stakeholders such as their customers.

They should not be getting a seat at the table in many of the discussions that they do, and they should not be mistaken for some sort of advice or impartial fact producing group, which they do.

They are a business and nothing else. It is nothing short of sinister the amount of airtime they are GIVEN and the amount of credence and stature they receive by people who should know better.

Good point! maybe i should have said "the RSA should give lights to cyclists and bulbs to motorists".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Even better solution have the road policing unit give people the options of on spot fine or purchase bulbs off them there and then or even better they must report to a station or NCT to be checked they are sorted.

Even better solution have the road policing unit give people the options of on spot fine or purchase bulbs off them there and then or even better they must report to a station or NCT to be checked they are sorted.

Any cyclist without lights at night should have their bike confiscated. There is really no excuse for it nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Any cyclist without lights at night should have their bike confiscated. There is really no excuse for it nowadays.

and yet I see so much of it, with a lot of them wearing dark clothes also. you expect to see it in October when the evenings start getting shorter and you might get caught out but at this stage they're clearly just committed to not having lights.

I think he is referring to cars, although in this regard, I still do not understand why we are not made carry spare bulbs in our car. Anyway, way OT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Thats fair enough.

But what gets me is the widespread discussion around cyclists with no lights.

I really dont see them. There are very few of them. Funny enough there is the odd head with no lights, but the do have a high viz, which drivers by and large cant see in the dark. So there may be an awareness issue.

However on the whole I do think the 'no lights' is a strawman argument designed to put the blame back on to cyclists.

I would love for example to see one of the cycling groups do a proper survey for example of commuting cyclists, to count what % are cycling with no lights.

The one notable exception to this of course is teenagers; who cycle on the footpath in dark clothes with no lights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement