Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

the fog is clearly to blame.

discussing fog and motorist behaviour always takes me back to this incident

a lady lost her life after crashing into the back of a fire engine, which was on its way to the scene of another crash.

this line really stands out;
    The accident is believed to have triggered a series of minor collisions. Vehicles coming on the scene of the crash had to brake suddenly due to poor visibility.

they didn't have to brake suddenly because they were driving too fast for the conditions! nope, the fog made them brake suddenly.

the superintendent hit the nail on the head;
    Superintendent Ken Brennan, the regional garda traffic commander, said: “Drivers had ample visibility if they would adjust their driving. Most motorists didn’t adjust their driving to match the road and weather conditions and that contributed to the mayhem.”

He also said a large number of drivers had also failed to put on their dipped headlights and fog lamps to alert other motorists.

Many reported seeing other motorists travelling at 120kph in the fog, even though the Road Safety Authority said the appropriate speed was 30kph.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a lady lost her life after crashing into the back of a fire engine, which was on its way to the scene of another crash.
    yeah, i've often cited this myself - IIRC, there were no skid marks at the scene - she was driving so fast she didn't have time to hit the brakes. she was driving so fast she could not see a fire engine with blue flashing lights until it was far too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Weepsie wrote: »
    Are people confusing full beam headlights (entirely unnecessary in urban areas) with fog lights? I ask as I don't recall seeing them being used all that often
    I see front fog lights being used all the time, night and day. It turns cyclopes into three-eyed monsters.

These lights:
    a3-8p-front-fog-lights-supply-fit-[2]-643-p.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I see front fog lights being used all the time, night and day. It turns cyclopes into three-eyed monsters.

I know the ones, just can't say I notice them on all that often. Do get hit with full beams all too often though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

now that i think about it, i reckon i used to see it a lot more several years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

My favourite are the people with one blown front light who decide to compensate by driving around with the other on full beam all the time.

Eh, it doesn't work like that folks. Dipped =/= 50% of full beam.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Got beeped out of it and danger passed by a taxi coming down Cork St. this morning, just before the junction with Ardee St. He pulled in and stopped about 100 metres after passing me, obviously those last 100 metres were essential to his journey.

I think I passed the scene of a bike accident this morning as well. Just opposite St. Patricks cathedral there were two fire engines and a person on a back-board being loaded into an ambulance. I couldn't see a bike on the ground but I didn't want to rubberneck it. Looked bad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I think I passed the scene of a bike accident this morning as well. Just opposite St. Patricks cathedral there were two fire engines and a person on a back-board being loaded into an ambulance. I couldn't see a bike on the ground but I didn't want to rubberneck it. Looked bad though.

Yeah it was a cyclist. Seemed to have just happened when I passed about 7.20. I didnt stop as he had quite a few people around him helping, but it looked serious enough. Another cyclist seemed to be doing a good job of keeping him still and directing others to block traffic, etc. Horrible junction.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Yeah, that junction is a **** show. Drivers often turn left through a filter light at the discount store there without even glancing to their right. And you can get up a good speed coming down New Street.

Hope they're OK. I always hate the sight of a backboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Danbo! wrote: »
    Yeah it was a cyclist. Seemed to have just happened when I passed about 7.20. I didnt stop as he had quite a few people around him helping, but it looked serious enough. Another cyclist seemed to be doing a good job of keeping him still and directing others to block traffic, etc. Horrible junction.
    Its not just avoiding the cars coming out fast that is the problem but there are 2 or 3 service holes in the cycle path that are lethal along that stretch. There is a dip where the service hole cover is, that, if your wheel comes along the edge of it it can cause your wheel to slide in such a way as you lose control of direction. I was once thrown across to the second lane on the stretch because I hit one of the service holes badly but luckily there were no cars coming. The reason I hit them is because a car (think it was a taxi) decided to pull to the side suddenly to pick up or drop off a passenger

You can see them here:
    https://goo.gl/maps/aoHKf7uUQxn
    https://goo.gl/maps/UQPEwCwNHuN2
    https://goo.gl/maps/yRKoCRqVZx52

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 bob b

I had a close pass today on Howth Road. Typical of a distracted driver not looking forward and drifting well over the white line for the cycle lane just behind me. I thought another driver texting, but as the car passed it wasn't a phone on the drivers lap, but a dog. I thought it was a dream but caught up at the next set of lights and it was a big golden retriever sat over the drivers lap, with it's tail over the gearstick.

I'm not sure what the thought process was for that driver this morning but I have never seen that on my commute. I will have to check the camera footage when I get home otherwise nobody will believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bob b wrote: »
    I had a close pass today on Howth Road. Typical of a distracted driver not looking forward and drifting well over the white line for the cycle lane just behind me. I thought another driver texting, but as the car passed it wasn't a phone on the drivers lap, but a dog. I thought it was a dream but caught up at the next set of lights and it was a big golden retriever sat over the drivers lap, with it's tail over the gearstick.

I'm not sure what the thought process was for that driver this morning but I have never seen that on my commute. I will have to check the camera footage when I get home otherwise nobody will believe it.

Please report it to traffic watch with registration and time.

oddly, i passed a motorist with a dog in her lap on the howth road about two months ago. wasn't a labrador though, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bob b

oddly, i passed a motorist with a dog in her lap on the howth road about two months ago. wasn't a labrador though, IIRC.

So I'm not going mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

bob b wrote: »

Aren't they often used as guide dogs? Driver might be blind. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

buffalo wrote: »
    Aren't they often used as guide dogs? Driver might be blind. :D

"Rrr-eft"

"Rrr-ight"

"Rrr-oundabout"

Guide dogs, a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

First near miss last night. cycling along, light on full past a garage, and a van across the road decides to turn into the garage as I was passing the entrance. Had to swerve to avoid. Feckin Idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

[QUOTE=bob b;10603 a big golden retriever sat over the drivers lap, with it's tail over the gearstick.

I'm not sure what the thought process was for that driver this morning but I have never seen that on my commute. I will have to check the camera footage when I get home otherwise nobody will believe it.[/QUOTE]

Let us know if the car was a Rover:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

But definitely a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭f1000

Yesterday morning. Coming into Drumcondra from the Swords road passing Tesco. White Bakery van bulled out on me and couldn't be bothered to look. CIE Tour coach driver beside me nearly shat himself coz he thought he was going to squish me between the van & bus. Van driver didn't give a flying F and carried on.

Further on a cyclist mounted the path before the left turn onto Gardiner St (Auld Triangle Pub) due to a long row of Dublin buses then decided to rejoin traffic from the footpath onto Gardiner without looking & nearly got t-boned by that same fool. Was ready to unleash verbal hell on him which resulted in 'Don't do that!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Heading south through Ballyboughal, about to cross the level bridge at the crossroads. Tractor & trailer turning left from the Oldtown direction took a very wide turn . I had to throw out the anchors. Ok, so it happens. But what bothered me was the halfwit driving the thing, chatting away on his mobile. I advised him, as loud as I could, what he should do with said mobile. Doubt he noticed.

Not a city boy, more rural roads...

Strangely I mostly find that any loopy motorists tend to be in the 40 to 50 age bracket, I always think they should have more sense at that age (i.e. my age).

Mostly its being frightened by a vehicles close passing such as zipping by (at near lightspeed ) me leaving me just a cm or two on an absolutely empty road or nearly clipping me rather than waiting behind until oncoming car has passed......scary stuff really.

Actually now that I think of it I don't know how I haven't been killed yet.... :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Averagevegan

f1000 wrote: »
    Yesterday morning. Coming into Drumcondra from the Swords road passing Tesco. White Bakery van bulled out on me and couldn't be bothered to look. CIE Tour coach driver beside me nearly shat himself coz he thought he was going to squish me between the van & bus. Van driver didn't give a flying F and carried on.

Further on a cyclist mounted the path before the left turn onto Gardiner St (Auld Triangle Pub) due to a long row of Dublin buses then decided to rejoin traffic from the footpath onto Gardiner without looking & nearly got t-boned by that same fool. Was ready to unleash verbal hell on him which resulted in 'Don't do that!'

Try getting hold of the H&S manager in Tesco's, let them know just how dangerous it was. and ask them train their drivers about cyclist. H&S manager love this ****e as it validates their role in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Not a city boy, more rural roads....Mostly its being frightened by a vehicles close passing such as zipping by (at near lightspeed ) me leaving me just a cm or two on an absolutely empty road or nearly clipping me rather than waiting behind until oncoming car has passed......scary stuff really.

Actually now that I think of it I don't know how I haven't been killed yet.... :-(

Hope you've emailed all your TD's demanding they support the MPDL amendment to Road Safety Bill due to be discussed by Oireachtas Transport Committee on Feb 28th!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

rushfan wrote: »
    But what bothered me was the halfwit driving the thing, chatting away on his mobile. I advised him, as loud as I could, what he should do with said mobile. Doubt he noticed.

Heading home on some narrow 'country' style roads (no footpath, pitch black, walls and trees right beside the edge of the road) I had occasion for the same white van man to attempt an overtake two times during the course of my trip. I noticed him because he was taking care to give me room and wait for an appropriate time to complete the overtake safely. This was a relief from the usual stuff you get (but surprisingly not that unusual on this particular stretch of road).

However, after the van's second overtake some goon following the van decided it would be grand to go for it coming up to a bend with oncoming traffic. The patience of the white van man had pushed this clown into making a rash decision. You could imagine he was caught between deciding whether to go faster, or to go even faster again, never once contemplating that another option might be to slow down a bit.

It wasn't the worst close pass I've experienced, but I was annoyed after the contrast with the efforts of the white van man to be so considerate.

Sure enough, when I rolled past the clown stuck at a level crossing a few hundred metres later he was chatting away on his phone. I slowed down enough to give a baleful stare and a shake of the head in the driver's side window. He kind of shrank a little in his seat, but I kind of nearly wished I'd taken your approach to let off a little steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

I've had a few close calls but this morning's one made me so mad I thought about hurling my bike through his window. Big black opened backed pickup bombed past me and brushed the fabric on my right elbow. He then pulled in against the curb directly in front of me and slammed on his brakes to join the queue of traffic. No idea how I stopped in time. I almost wish I had gone into the back of him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had the Cycling Ireland team car follow behind me today on my commute and patiently wait for me to me on my way before parking up outside it's office near Seville Place. Refreshing, as most often cars cut across me there most days.

Edit: Kinda wish I had a puncture so I could hold up my wheel to them.

Should have held up a bottle to see would they come up and give you a fresh one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

So I'm out on my bike (pedelec :D) and going through Stamullen village. I have a rear facing camera on the chainstay.

For anyone who knows the village this occurred at the car park entrance to the Centra shop.

I'm cycling on main road towards shop on left. I'm two seconds from passing the car park entrance.

Car behind decides to overtake to my right over white line while indicating left (see video) and then immediately pull completely in front of me to access the car park.
    I had to put on the brakes hard and also turn into the carpark myself so as not to crash.

Enjoy.

• Advertisement

The f was that indeed. Was that him doing the beeping ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement