Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

The f was that indeed. Was that him doing the beeping ?

I wasn't able to ascertain that but what I left out on the video was me going up to the car after it parked and asking the two eastern europeans to apologise, I received a blank look.

I actually think now they never even registered me at all :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

2000-2010 era VW Passats - a scourge on our roads

(I know that's getting the wide paint brush out, but I've had many close calls and close passes from them)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Coming down from Christ Church toward College Green today, I had a car tailgating me on the "extreme" left side of the road; I did not understand why, as there is no left turn and usually drivers prefer to take the center to avoid the buses that will stop on the left side of the road.
    Then when we arrived at the junction with exchange street upper, I saw the sign "no left turn", and I understood what was going on... the car behind me turned left, and the one behind him/her turned left as well!!! Is there anything I am missing (signs valid only for a limited period of time) or they are breaking the law quite deliberately there?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3440791,-6.267858,3a,75y,36.68h,74.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snRoH9iVZmnNR_ty5xp3fug!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

So I'm out on my bike (pedelec :D) and going through Stamullen village. I have a rear facing camera on the chainstay.

For anyone who knows the village this occurred at the car park entrance to the Centra shop.

I'm cycling on main road towards shop on left. I'm two seconds from passing the car park entrance.

Car behind decides to overtake to my right over white line while indicating left (see video) and then immediately pull completely in front of me to access the car park.
    I had to put on the brakes hard and also turn into the carpark myself so as not to crash.

Enjoy.

That is *****in mental. Straight down to balbriggan station with the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

queldy wrote: »
    That sign is for Parliament St. which is southbound only. Exchange St. Upper is northbound only, so they were permitted to turn left onto it from Lord Edward St. https://goo.gl/maps/TnTfYjT4jRt

• Advertisement

That sign is for Parliament St. which is southbound only. Exchange St. Upper is northbound only, so they were permitted to turn left onto it from Lord Edward St. https://goo.gl/maps/TnTfYjT4jRt

ops... :D, Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AFAIK, the sign has to be placed before the junction it applies to, not after it.

AFAIK, the sign has to be placed before the junction it applies to, not after it.

Yes yes, it's basic enough. Sorry.
    I did not have enough coffee in the morning

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Classy one this morning, driver nearly took my rear wheel out as they hook turned onto the bus lane after running a red. I realised as they passed, they had one hand, somewhere else, not on the steering wheel anyway and the hand on the wheel was desperately trying to hold their mobile while steering (it nearly fell which caused them to jerk sidewards).

They continued on up the bus lane, oblivious to the world. no one cared.

- running a red light 80euro + 3 points
    - speeding 80euro + 3 points
    - using a mobile phone while driving 60euro + 3 points
    - using a bus lane when not a PSV 60euro (I think)
    - driving without due care and attention court appearance, 5 points

The last one would be harder to prove but without it, that is 280euro + 9 points, with it is 280euro, court appearance and a disqualification. Although in Ireland, probably better off going to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

CramCycle wrote: »
    Classy one this morning, driver nearly took my rear wheel out as they hook turned onto the bus lane after running a red. I realised as they passed, they had one hand, somewhere else, not on the steering wheel anyway and the hand on the wheel was desperately trying to hold their mobile while steering (it nearly fell which caused them to jerk sidewards).

They continued on up the bus lane, oblivious to the world. no one cared.

- running a red light 80euro + 3 points
    - speeding 80euro + 3 points
    - using a mobile phone while driving 60euro + 3 points
    - using a bus lane when not a PSV 60euro (I think)
    - driving without due care and attention court appearance, 5 points

The last one would be harder to prove but without it, that is 280euro + 9 points, with it is 280euro, court appearance and a disqualification. Although in Ireland, probably better off going to court.

Started considering taking any random commute video of mine and editing it to add a tally of penalty points and fines (of objective issues - no speeding or dangerous driving) to see what the total would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Fines and points are concurrent, not consecutive unfortunately.
    So that's most likely EU80 + 3. Possibly 5 and a hefty fine in court.

Personally I'd shove that phone right up....sigh, I digress...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Stupid double posting...

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

https://www.facebook.com/events/148530495866288/

This is a chance to provide direct feedback to our Minister for Transport.

From the event page:
    "Shane Ross, Independent TD for Dublin Rathdown and Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, invites you to attend a public meeting on the topic of drink driving and road safety.

Guests include broadcaster Ray D'Arcy and Donna Price of the IRVA Irish Road Victims Association. Councillor Deirdre Donnelly,
    Cllr Kevin Daly, and Cllr Seamas O'Neill will also be participating.

The meeting will take place at 8pm on Monday 19th February in St. Laurence's Parish Hall, Kilmacud Road Upper.

All are welcome to attend and members of the Dublin Rathdown community are particularly encouraged to make their voice heard on this important local matter."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cjt156 wrote: »
    Fines and points are concurrent, not consecutive unfortunately.
    So that's most likely EU80 + 3. Possibly 5 and a hefty fine in court.

Personally I'd shove that phone right up....sigh, I digress...

Depends on what you count as one incident or many. If parked its all the same place but this could be argued as a series of independent crimes.

cjt156 wrote: »
    Stupid double posting...

Happens when your driving and you accidentally double tap because you hit a pothole or a pedestrian :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Two incidents I saw this over the mornings:

Yesterday a cyclist went straight across the O'Connell Bridge through a red light, causing the car to hit the brakes coming up the quays outside River Bar pub. Very lucky cyclists, inches from an injury.

This morning I saw a cyclist, a luas safety inspector and a guard in talks over something dangerous for cyclists, outcome from the inspector was we put a sign up!! Guard and inspector happy, cyclists a little bit more angry. This is where the luas track and road merge outside trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

while thinking about a near-miss from yesterday evening I almost got knocked off my bike this morning!

yesterday, cycling along Mespil road towards Baggot st bridge, there was a car pulling out of the petrol station on my left. the entire time that I could see him he was looking left for traffic coming against me but was still moving forward, despite me being on his side of the road. I swung out to avoid him, stopped to get his attention and gestured as to what he was doing. he gave a token wave of acknowledgement and continued to move forward, still not having looked back to his right where I had just come from!

this morning while cycling down East wall road towards the port and fondly reminiscing about that incident, I was in the left hand lane moving up inside a long line of traffic on my right. as a car was approaching from behind in the left lane, I filtered into the right lane where the traffic was moving slowly to let him past (the sound thing to do). maybe 30s later I caught up with him while he was stopped in traffic and went to filter between the 2 lanes. cue the rear seat passenger swinging open the right side door to get out without looking. i let a shout along the lines of "woooooaaahh" and managed to avoid the door. I stopped and gestured to the driver who just looked at me really passively, no response whatsoever. I looked at the passenger but he literally never even acknowledged my existence. the other passenger who got out the left hand side waved in apology but the 2 who had responsibility just acted like I didn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Cycling into town via Clanbrassil St a short while ago. As usual, saw a few cars ahead of me driving in the bus lane. I then copped a Guard car moving into bus lane and was thinking great with blind optimism, he will pull a few of these in now surely..

UH UH..(How naive of me).. He just sauntered in behind them and was then followed by several other cars doing the same, one of which, very close passed me to add insult..

What chance do you have when the authorities just so casually break the law and turn a blind eye to another 10 motorists doing the same:(

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Cycling into town via Clanbrassil St a short while ago. As usual, saw a few cars ahead of me driving in the bus lane. I then copped a Guard car moving into bus lane and was thinking great with blind optimism, he will pull a few of these in now surely..

UH UH..(How naive of me).. He just sauntered in behind them and was then followed by several other cars doing the same, one of which, very close passed me to add insult..

What chance do you have when the authorities just so casually break the law and turn a blind eye to another 10 motorists doing the same:(

That's probably because he wasn't a "traffic" garda! Apparently you can break the law in front of any Gardaí (except the ones assigned to the type of crime you are committing) and they won't bother/aren't supposed to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I totally understand how you feel, but have you considered the possibility that the Gardai in question were on their way to a specific crime/event? we hear lots of people complaining that they called the gardai and they took ages to turn up or didn't turn up at all. Sometimes we all have to make judgement calls on whats more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I totally understand how you feel, but have you considered the possibility that the Gardai in question were on their way to a specific crime/event? we hear lots of people complaining that they called the gardai and they took ages to turn up or didn't turn up at all. Sometimes we all have to make judgement calls on whats more important.

I'm sure all the ones you see texting and driving are sending very important crime-related messages too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    That's probably because he wasn't a "traffic" garda! Apparently you can break the law in front of any Gardaí (except the ones assigned to the type of crime you are committing) and they won't bother/aren't supposed to do anything about it.

Can I murder someone in front of a traffic Garda!?

"Hey, hey, you're not homicide, piss off with your handcuffs!"

xckjoo wrote: »
    I'm sure all the ones you see texting and driving are sending very important crime-related messages too :D

Maybe they were posting on boards.ie? I mean I would never use the internet while I’m at work! God no!

07Lapierre wrote: »

Ah yeh, its a possibility I suppose but I would like to think if they(passenger too) were going to a crime there would be a bit more urgency about them, even using sirens etc. I rolled up next to them some 2 mins later as they were stopped halfway on the ASL and ped crossing at the lights going right at Christchurch so they must have cut across two lanes to get there too. At this stage I just figured they were simply just ignorant.

Ah yeh, its a possibility I suppose but I would like to think if they(passenger too) were going to a crime there would be a bit more urgency about them, even using sirens etc. I rolled up next to them some 2 mins later as they were stopped halfway on the ASL and ped crossing at the lights going right at Christchurch so they must have cut across two lanes to get there too. At this stage I just figured they were simply just ignorant.

Example: they don't need Lights/sirens to go to/from the station/court etc. The real issue is that there are insufficient gardai. More gardai = greater enforcement of all laws.

Anyone remember when we had traffic wardens? They wore those awful Brown coats and their hats had a yellow band? Bring back traffic wardens to enforce traffic and parking laws!

What I found most intriguing is simply the amount of cars that just weighed in behind the Garda car in the bus lane. Thinking out loud here, Its not necessarily the guards fault if they are actually going to a crime or court but they are inadvertently implying driving here is not an issue if they are not using sirens etc

Agreed! they should lead by example!

What I found most intriguing is simply the amount of cars that just weighed in behind the Garda car in the bus lane. Thinking out loud here, Its not necessarily the guards fault if they are actually going to a crime or court but they are inadvertently implying driving here is not an issue if they are not using sirens etc

This is why I could never be a Garda. Lets say I was going to something else, so I ignore the people in front. The person behind me though, that is a lack of respect for the position they should hold in society. I would hop out of the car, car reg, license details, fine in the post.

First time in a long time, got buzzed by a motorbike this morning on the N11. His handlebar glove tipped my handlebar. Gave me a bit of a shock TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I also had a motorbike skim past me this morning and had a taxi beeping at me for not cycling in the gutter.
    I hadn't cycled into town via Amiens st in months, now I remember why.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement