Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Yep. It was well red by the time he even reached the top of the junction.

I stand corrected. Either way he deserves to be taken out of the van and be made do oversize parcel delivery on a pushbike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was thinking myself that he did, but it was a yellow, into a blocked junction (traffic waiting to turn right in front) and only gets to turn a bit after red.

Still totally unprofessional driving, and needs reporting.

This light, means stop unless it is unsafe. It's not the Red that you only stop for, it's amber, and too many people think it's okay to carry on through it.

That driving is criminal and should be treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Weepsie wrote: »
    This light, means stop unless it is unsafe. It's not the Red that you only stop for, it's amber, and too many people think it's okay to carry on through it.

That driving is criminal and should be treated as such.

Which is why I also pointed out the blocked junction, in that he could in no way claim it was unsafe to stop, and was playing get through at all costs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It used to be that Yellow = "Floor it"

It's now Yellow = "Carry on"

Now the signal for "floor it" is seeing the light turn red, even if you're still 100m from stop line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there is *constantly* light-breaking going on at that junction - and the light sequences can be rather arbitrary; i've seen - for motorists outbound, turning right onto alfie byrne road - a light cycle take about 30s, and other times take over 3 minutes.
    i wonder if there is a malfunction with the coils which detect the presence of a waiting car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

there is *constantly* light-breaking going on at that junction - and the light sequences can be rather arbitrary; i've seen - for motorists outbound, turning right onto alfie byrne road - a light cycle take about 30s, and other times take over 3 minutes.
    i wonder if there is a malfunction with the coils which detect the presence of a waiting car.

Yes, I think some of them (e.g., the ones out of the Phoenix Park) only turn green if there is something waiting. And sometimes, even as big as I am, I am not seen by the detector. If you happen to be with no cars following you (does this EVER happen??!?!?), it won't turn green.

That van driver is a criminal. He passed way too fast, way too close, and it broke the red.

I have seen too many light breaking lately - also taxi and bus drivers (they are supposed to be educated professionals) do, that's insane.
    I could tell which one are the spots where it always (and I mean always!) happens! Come on, how come the Garda do not give consideration about it AT ALL! It is so obvious.
    Take Leonard's corner: there is not a single time, every time I am there, that I do not see someone breaking the red. Take Merrion Square all around. Take the ones in Baggot.
    It is insane, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

queldy wrote: »
    Yes, I think some of them (e.g., the ones out of the Phoenix Park) only turn green if there is something waiting. And sometimes, even as big as I am, I am not seen by the detector. If you happen to be with no cars following you (does this EVER happen??!?!?), it won't turn green.

If you're on the bike, cycling over the 'seam' of the detector in the road usually works. I pass a junction with the luas near the fruit market where there's rarely other cars and it seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

queldy wrote: »

Most havent been tuned in many years. When correctly calibrated the induction loops will pick up your bike (even crappy Alu's) but many arent. Even within the same LA area.

(Video not mine)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

ED E wrote: »
    (Video not mine)
    Terrifying.

Try a similar situation with a 52 seater bus! The shock didn't set in until several minutes afterward!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

funny one this morning - on the strand road, was behind another cyclist who was sitting a bit further out into the road than me. a motorist decided to overtake, which involved her pulling alongside me but behind the other cyclist, and then started to pull in as the road narrowed as we neared the merrion gates. not particularly scary, i knocked on the side of her car (fairly gently) as a warning but she seemed not to notice.

Link may not work as I dont have enough posts, but I saw this posted today -
    Learn how to act around busses and win a prize :rolleyes:

All education is welcome, yes, but might be worth getting some of their drivers to try out cycling as well as cyclists trying out sitting in the drivers seat.

http://dit.ie/newsandevents/news/archive2018/latest/title,156849,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

All education is welcome, yes, but might be worth getting some of their drivers to try out cycling as well as cyclists trying out sitting in the drivers seat.

That sounds similar to something Dublin Bus did in Trinity last year (or the year before) where they parked a bus and allowed you to sit in the drivers seat to see what they can see. I found it particularly interesting - it confirmed a lot of what I had suspected, but never actually saw for myself.

Also there were plenty of DB drivers around to chat with, and to be fair to them, they were open to conversation and handling of close passes as well as poor cyclist (and more often pedestrian) positioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Yes, education always welcome.
    Makes me thing about the sign on the back of a Dublin bus I saw this morning "Taxi driver! Yes, you - we are hiring, contact us...". Bus driver ran a red light, pretty obviously, 3 seconds later.
    Time to be surprised about this is long past.
    And yes, education always welcome. For everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not a near miss this time.

Chap a few seconds behind me got taken out in a left hook by a non indicating Chelsea tractor on the bottom of the bridge on East Road going north. Of course the driver (stereotype alert, a very middle class woman) was adamant she indicated though she was swiftly quietened by other cyclists explaining she didn't. Thankfully the cyclist was up on his feet soon after and there didn't appear to be any damage to the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

P_1 wrote: »
    Not a near miss this time.

Chap a few seconds behind me got taken out in a left hook by a non indicating Chelsea tractor on the bottom of the bridge on East Road going north. Of course the driver (stereotype alert, a very middle class woman) was adamant she indicated though she was swiftly quietened by other cyclists explaining she didn't. Thankfully the cyclist was up on his feet soon after and there didn't appear to be any damage to the bike.

Casual sexism - nice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Comedy gold from a co worker this morning.

As she came through a junction, a van nearly went through her. They avoided each other but he gave out. So she stopped and asked him what he was at running onto a junction. And he looked at her and said, "but I have a Yield", she pointed out, without thinking, that so had she, and she had already proceeded onto the junction before he got to his. He said "Oh" and away they went.

It was only afterwards she realised, he thinks that Yield signs mean that other traffic must yield to him, rather than that they are asking you to yield right of way to other traffic. They really just need to put stop signs up but FFS, not knowing what a yield sign means.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

CramCycle wrote: »
    It was only afterwards she realised, he thinks that Yield signs mean that other traffic must yield to him, rather than that they are asking you to yield right of way to other traffic. They really just need to put stop signs up but FFS, not knowing what a yield sign means.

If he doesn't know what a yield sign is, he shouldn't be driving.
    While driving recently I had someone coming towards a yield treating it as a merge. They just whacked on their indicator and pushed in in front of me.

They were driving a school bus which turned into the primary school 100m up the road, rather worrying really.

CramCycle wrote: »
    a van

cross-eyed-steve-buscemi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I really love it when a driver signals to me to "go ahead" as if they are being courteous, when in fact they have just driven straight into a yellow box where other traffic has right of way already.

They then proceed to mouth, "sure didn't I stop for you :rolleyes:" when I stared them and their outfaced palm out of it.

In a separate "incident" I was also "almost" left hooked too this morning, I saw the car overtake with the indicator on, thought, they've seen me and will wait, yeah, yeah, yeah, NO. I had significantly reduced my speed but was basically alongside and in their blindspot throughout the braking/turning part of the incident.

In the end, they knew they weren't going to make it so ended up stopped across the cycle lane pointing into the road they intended to go into as I cycled in front of them. Didn't quite get the "go ahead" hand motion that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The driver should lose his/her job over that.

You just can't talk to Dublin bus staff. I was walking across the junction at O'Connell Bridge, green light for me, the bus driver kept pushing towards me and then went through the light, bus inspector was watching it and i had it out with him. At the end of it he goes, light is green for the driver now:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You just can't talk to Dublin bus staff. I was walking across the junction at O'Connell Bridge, green light for me, the bus driver kept pushing towards me and then went through the light, bus inspector was watching it and i had it out with him. At the end of it he goes, light is green for the driver now:mad:

:D Can you imagine they actually cared about this stuff

I'm sure they'll get the usual canned response

Thank you for your email regarding our driver on route [whatever],

We apologise for any upset caused to you.
    The safety of our customers, staff, pedestrians and other road users is our primary concern. We are committed to the highest standards of safety and our Safety Manager monitors and reviews all practices to ensure we provide a safe and efficient service across the network. It is compulsory for all our drivers to attend the annual Road Safety Authority approved Certificate of Professional Competence and we have recently produced a training video that looks at both the driver and cyclists point of view. This is now incorporated into driver training.

All reports regarding unsafe driving are taken very seriously and investigated thoroughly.

We appreciate our customers letting us know if they have experienced an issue with our services and thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention.

I've had more than one of these, word for word.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

this is horrifying. and especially with the big deal Dublin Bus are making this week, educating cyclists on how its all our fault and its too hard for the bus driver to see us. well here it is, a child right in front of the "careful driver" and they DGAF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

and be done for dangerous driving. after the awfulness of the early part of the clip I was still shocked when I saw that the driver clipped the bike at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Had an bizarre one last week with a Dublin bus driver last week.

I'm coming up Camden street out of town towards the contra flow starting at the Bleeding Horse. I've two front lights so am very visible. Two double decker buses are pulled in on the left. So I overtake. As i am overtaking, one of the busses swings out. I am only alongside the back of the bus, so I have time to take measures to avoid. He sees me as his nose is half at out to the outside lane, and stops while I pass giving him loads of room. I don't bother making eye contact as I go by. Sh1t happens, he didn't see me, made a mistake, no need to get involved, right?

So I pull up to the red light at the contra flow and feel the bus come pretty close. So I look around. Driver is taking a photo of me on the bike. I'm confused. So I hop up onto the island beside where he is pulled up and ask him why he is taking a picture of me? He starts giving out to me that I am on the wrong side of the road and I am in the wrong. It doesn't explain the picture, but whatever.

I try to explain that by ant reasonable measure, he was completely in the wrong. I explained that if a bus is pulled in I am perfectly entitled to overtake it. Also, that I needed to be in the right most lane to take the contra flow.

This guy is having none of it. I am stunned. He's still giving out to me, failing to listen. So I tell him that if that's his opinion then he should not be driving a bus. He starts getting antsy now. And starts asking me to tell him that at the next bus stop and he'd show me a thing or two. All I want now is to annoy him, so I tell him he's a moron and should not be driving a bus.

I disengage and roll on when the green light shows. He shadows me sitting inches, well maybe a foot, all the way up to the next bus stop after the contra flow ends, revving the engine. I was scared ****less but was not prepared to give in. Even if I wanted to I would have had to jump up on a keen and that would have meant slowing down, and risked him hitting me, he was so close. Would dearly have loved a rear facing camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Not a near miss or anything, but was in town today, just after turning onto Dorset St from Granby Row and taking the bus lane for myself, I had the standard altercation with a taxi driver shouting at me before speeding past and jamming up brakes at the next red lights 100 yards up.

I stopped beside him at the lights and asked him how much further did it get him by being an asshole like that, and his response was the usual "why are you in the middle of the lane you d***head!". I replied that I took the lane to stop c*nts putting me in danger by squeezing past me and the fact that he got annoyed by that means he is one of said c*nts.

Not proud of using the language I used, but did try civilly first to explain the futility of his getting worked up being behind me for a couple of seconds when he was rolling up to a red light- I honestly despair sometimes that I have the share the road with neanderthals that are so incapable of any sort of reasoned thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Idleater wrote: »
    I really love it when a driver signals to me to "go ahead" as if they are being courteous, when in fact they have just driven straight into a yellow box where other traffic has right of way already....
    Even when they don't block the yellow box, it wears me out when I get that rapid hand gesture as if they are saying 'come on, come on, I'm allowing you to cross in front of me".

It happens to me regularly at one junction in Swords. They seem oblivious to the purpose of the box. (And they are probably wondering why they don't get a 'thank you' gesture from me.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I had a DB tailgate me (2ft max) in Roebuck this evening after he tried to pass me leading up to another stop. When I gestured to driver to pull back he pointed to upcoming stop as the reason for being up my ass. No need for this type of thing at all. He has brakes!

Up in Kilternan coming from Ennniskerry, I was passed close at speed by a car with oncoming traffic that flashed him for crossing into their path. The car then pulled into the garage! I went in and absolutely lost it with the young boy racer driver for putting my life at risk just because he was in a hurry to go shopping. He said it was my fault and he didn’t care because I was not hurt. More worrlng, He had kids in the car ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement