Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Zulu wrote: »
    Cycling today? Really??

It's okay if they had a helmet on though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

The Dublin Bus approach to close passing a cyclist - it's ok to do as long as you put your hazards on afterwards.

https://youtu.be/uhuIBjOougg

I'm wondering if there's any point in even reporting this crap anymore. I reported this guy below on the 15th of December and still haven't heard anything back.

https://youtu.be/0UOM0OmjPaA

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

buffalo wrote: »
    It's okay if they had a helmet on though, right?

i'd be genuinely amazed if any motorist could see you through their snow peepholes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

"Gardaí assisted the driver in clearing the car of snow."

Gardaí should have taken their license off them the absolute stupid....
    If they think it's safe to drive like that I shudder to think about what level of care, competence and consideration they have on the roads every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Muppet. Plenty of others driving like that around the country too. I was only out briefly for a walk and saw a few. Mounds of snow on the roof, only half the windscreen cleared, side and rear windows still covered. Dopes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Coming through Bray there and a child climbing from the back to the front with help from Daddy, while the car was moving. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Type 17 wrote: »

Great proposal, but forgive me for being extremely sceptical about whether this will be enforced and means of enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Type 17 wrote: »

You posted that without any health warning re comments for those with a sensitive soul, weak heart, or high blood pressure but it's ok because the instructions tell those commenting to be civil, constructive and on topic so no issue then:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

After reading this thread I came across a Kickstarter: Cyclevision EDGE - World's First Dual Camera Bike Helmet.

About €300 for a helmet with both a front and rear facing camera.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Coming in on the rock road this morning, work van took a sharp left (no indicating) into Tara towers hotel, cyclist did the most amazing manoeuvring I've ever seen not to go into the side, van didnt even notice, despite the fact an had over taken cyclist about 15 meters prior.

not impressed by the mini or the green car crossing the hatching and disregarding the busy garage exit, but nothing to write home about.

however, got quite a shock when i took the lane to clear the snowdrift

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

nee wrote: »
    "Gardaí assisted the driver in clearing the car of snow."

Gardaí should have taken their license off them the absolute stupid....
    If they think it's safe to drive like that I shudder to think about what level of care, competence and consideration they have on the roads every day.

Not to mention what looks like rope holding up/on the front RH bumper...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Cycling down Pearse street from Grand Canal towards Trinity College, just passed the junction at the Pig and Heifer - the way the road is the cycle lane is more to the left than before the junction. I go through the junction and go to move left but have to stay out a bit longer as there are people finishing crossing the road. A taxi driver squeezes through the bus lane giving me a cm or 2 of space. He stops at the next light. I ask him what he was doing giving me no room. He says he gave me a metre (which is impossible without crossing to the other lane which he couldn't do with traffic there). Then he says he couldn't move over because he had to watch for a car on the other lane. I asked him why didn't he just wait behind me since I didn't hold him up anyway as I was passing him stuck in traffic at the lights. He said road was clear at the time. I said this is why we need a minimum passing distance law. He said what about me, why don't you have to give me 1 meter space, what about my wing mirror. I couldn't believe he was comparing me being knocked down by someone passing closely to his wing mirror so I had to explain to him the difference between me being potentially injured/killed and his mirror getting damaged. He wouldn't accept it though. Unbelievable. If I wasn't on a Dublin bike I would have had a camera :(

I still don't know - is it worth challenging drivers like this? Does it just make them more aggressive or is it a case of if we don't challenge them and explain we just want to get from A to B alive and see our families then they won't spare any thought for close passes etc. I really don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

axer wrote: »
    Cycling down Pearse street from Grand Canal towards Trinity College, just passed the junction at the Pig and Heifer - the way the road is the cycle lane is more to the left than before the junction. I go through the junction and go to move left but have to stay out a bit longer as there are people finishing crossing the road. A taxi driver squeezes through the bus lane giving me a cm or 2 of space. He stops at the next light. I ask him what he was doing giving me no room. He says he gave me a metre (which is impossible without crossing to the other lane which he couldn't do with traffic there). Then he says he couldn't move over because he had to watch for a car on the other lane. I asked him why didn't he just wait behind me since I didn't hold him up anyway as I was passing him stuck in traffic at the lights. He said road was clear at the time. I said this is why we need a minimum passing distance law. He said what about me, why don't you have to give me 1 meter space, what about my wing mirror. I couldn't believe he was comparing me being knocked down by someone passing closely to his wing mirror so I had to explain to him the difference between me being potentially injured/killed and his mirror getting damaged. He wouldn't accept it though. Unbelievable. If I wasn't on a Dublin bike I would have had a camera :(

I still don't know - is it worth challenging drivers like this? Does it just make them more aggressive or is it a case of if we don't challenge them and explain we just want to get from A to B alive and see our families then they won't spare any thought for close passes etc. I really don't know.

I rarely challenge taxi drivers these days. They are so belligerent, I seem to get absolutely nowhere with them and it makes me feel even more frustated and vulnerable. I do sometimes fall back into the trap of 'having a word' with them and realise why I rarely bother now.

I sometimes feel that a nice calm chat with a reasonable driver might actually make them think twice about certain actions, but I don't believe that applies at all to taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

Access to the Grand Canal Greenway from the Newcastle road was a deep snowy mess on Monday so I was using this road to get to Clondalkin instead.

As it's not my usual commuting route, I was following the road markings. Going straight through a roundabout, left lane is for left turn only so I position myself in the right lane.

A car going right comes up behind me and continues, trying to overtake me going onto the roundabout. In trying to deal with that, a Van in the left lane tries to go straight ahead.

It's sad that both drivers show reckless impatience. A few seconds would have seen me safely through the roundabout.

Because there are lots of ignorant drivers like these, I should have sat in the middle of the left turn lane and blocked that instead. Hopefully back to my familiar route tomorrow - and I say familiar as in knowing how other drivers behave around junctions that I pass through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

coward wrote: »
    It's sad that both drivers show reckless impatience. A few seconds would have seen me safely through the roundabout.

Worst part is, in their ignorance, they'll likely come away from that assuming you were "all over the road" :rolleyes:

Had a similar incident sitting in the middle lane of winetavern street waiting to head across the liffey, to then turn right down the quays.

While crossing the bridge, the car behind me tried to undertake on left and van to my right attempted to overtake, with both trying to get ahead of me and into my lane – car wanted to turn right onto liffey and van wanted to go straight past the four courts. Basically an absolute sh*t storm. Van in wrong lane originally, car was wrong to try and undertake. I held my ground, only option, and managed to turn in front of the van, with the car still mid undertake heading for the kerb as I was entering a bus lane. Was brutal.

And after all that - an uninvolved taxi driver pulls alongside and says "You nearly caused an accident back there, you're all over the road". When I asked where he thought I should be "Stay left or get a f*cking bus" :D I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

coward wrote: »
    Access to the Grand Canal Greenway from the Newcastle road was a deep snowy mess on Monday so I was using this road to get to Clondalkin instead.

As it's not my usual commuting route, I was following the road markings. Going straight through a roundabout, left lane is for left turn only so I position myself in the right lane.

A car going right comes up behind me and continues, trying to overtake me going onto the roundabout. In trying to deal with that, a Van in the left lane tries to go straight ahead.

Because there are lots of ignorant drivers like these, I should have sat in the middle of the left turn lane and blocked that instead. Hopefully back to my familiar route tomorrow - and I say familiar as in knowing how other drivers behave around junctions that I pass through.

I know that road well and to be honest you made the mistake.

Its a double lane road for going straight and you went from one lane into the other lane without checking it was clear. Hope you signal for switching lanes also.

The van was totally right in going straight as both lanes are allow straight there.

Yes the black car was wrong.

The big question is why were you in the right hand lane, when the left hand lane here goes straight also?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

I know that road well and to be honest you made the mistake.

Its a double lane road for going straight and you went from one lane into the other lane without checking it was clear. Hope you signal for switching lanes also.  

The van was totally right in going straight as both lanes are allow straight there.

Yes the black car was wrong.

The big question is why were you in the right hand lane, when the left hand lane here goes straight also?
    You're  wrong.  The lanes leading into the roundabout are very clearly marked left lane for left turn only, and  right lane for straight ahead. it's 7 seconds in.

• Advertisement

Steoller wrote: »
    You're  wrong.  The lanes leading into the roundabout are very clearly marked left lane for left turn only, and  right lane for straight ahead. it's 7 seconds in.

Sorry your right, I was thinking it was coming from the exit on his right, where both lanes are open up for going straight. My mistake.

I must be the only exit on that roundabout that has it like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

No need to be sorry to me, everyone gets turned around now and then :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It is one of my major bug bears for roundabouts in this country. There are rules for roundabouts but some councils throw the rules out the window and do what they feel like. Then on busy days, when the road markings are not visible (why are there not bloody signs up to indicate), you have two people doing what they think is right and two people getting rightly annoyed at each other for a mistake which to be honest, is the fault of the local council.

Then the lane markings on the roundabout don't give any indication it is not a typical roundabout.

Grinds my gears

CramCycle wrote: »
    It is one of my major bug bears for roundabouts in this country. There are rules for roundabouts but some councils throw the rules out the window and do what they feel like. Then on busy days, when the road markings are not visible (why are there not bloody signs up to indicate), you have two people doing what they think is right and two people getting rightly annoyed at each other for a mistake which to be honest, is the fault of the local council.

Then the lane markings on the roundabout don't give any indication it is not a typical roundabout.

Grinds my gears

Roundabouts, we could have a whole thread on it !!

Actually for the OP of that roundabout, be very careful on it, cars/vans in the left lane will go all the way round to the 3 exit!! Had a few near misses there with a few nearly going into the side of my car where the kids are!!!!!

And of course no indicators!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I just approach roundabouts with the idea in my head that both the people that designed them and the people who use them have no idea how they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Vel wrote: »
    I rarely challenge taxi drivers these days. They are so belligerent, I seem to get absolutely nowhere with them and it makes me feel even more frustated and vulnerable. I do sometimes fall back into the trap of 'having a word' with them and realise why I rarely bother now.

I sometimes feel that a nice calm chat with a reasonable driver might actually make them think twice about certain actions, but I don't believe that applies at all to taxi drivers.

I know this makes me a snob and a horrible person on general but I never bother engaging with taxi drivers for the simple reason that's its not a job that attracts bright and intelligent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jjpep wrote: »
    I know this makes me a snob and a horrible person on general but I never bother engaging with taxi drivers for the simple reason that's its not a job that attracts bright and intelligent people.

Same, even more so, goes for WVM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Sorry your right, I was thinking it was coming from the exit on his right, where both lanes are open up for going straight. My mistake.

I must be the only exit on that roundabout that has it like that!

Seeing someone admit they made a mistake on the internet is the rarest sight in the world. I had to read your post twice for it to sink into my brain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

This morning about half 8 on the Rock Road heading into town. Myself and another cyclist were the bus lane overtaking some slower riders. Traffic on the right is moving very slowly and we were coming down towards the Blackrock Clinic. Anyone who knows the road will now that it's fairly easy to pick up speed there and I would say we were doing around 40kph.

Chap on a motorbike rides up at speed behind me. He can't get past as we are taking the lane to overtake. This makes him very unhappy so he sits on my wheel (half wheeling according to my fellow commuter) and starts revving like crazy.

Overtake complete I move left back to the middle of the lane, and he shoots past me, skimming me deliberately. 2 seconds later he's stuck behind a taxi and heading to the red lights at Booterstown. The cyclist behind me (who had a much better view of how dangerous this all was) catches up with him to have a word. Chap on the bike doesn't give a F**k, leans the bike towards him, revs at him etc. usual slagging match ensues as we all have to stop at 2 more sets of lights. He vanishes before I can find a Guard.

In the heat of the moment I've managed to forget the reg. More convinced that a front and rear camera on the bike is a good idea.

Thanks to the other cyclist - gent whoever you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

daragh_ wrote: »
    This morning about half 8 on the Rock Road heading into town. Myself and another cyclist were the bus lane overtaking some slower riders. Traffic on the right is moving very slowly and we were coming down towards the Blackrock Clinic. Anyone who knows the road will now that it's fairly easy to pick up speed there and I would say we were doing around 40kph.

Chap on a motorbike rides up at speed behind me. He can't get past as we are taking the lane to overtake. This makes him very unhappy so he sits on my wheel (half wheeling according to my fellow commuter) and starts revving like crazy.

Overtake complete I move left back to the middle of the lane, and he shoots past me, skimming me deliberately. 2 seconds later he's stuck behind a taxi and heading to the red lights at Booterstown. The cyclist behind me (who had a much better view of how dangerous this all was) catches up with him to have a word. Chap on the bike doesn't give a F**k, leans the bike towards him, revs at him etc. usual slagging match ensues as we all have to stop at 2 more sets of lights. He vanishes before I can find a Guard.

In the heat of the moment I've managed to forget the reg. More convinced that a front and rear camera on the bike is a good idea.

Thanks to the other cyclist - gent whoever you are.

Motorbikes can't legally use the bus lane at that time anyway. He had no reason to be there, never mind his aggression and close passing. I actually encounter aggressive motorcyclists with some regularity, similar situations to the above. It's baffling to me, as you often hear bikers talking of "cagers" in cars, you'd think there would be some parallels between us...

As for cameras, this one is good and there is a promotion on at the minute which reduces the price to 29.99stg when you add it to your cart. I paid over twice that and am still happy about a year later. I'm even tempted to get another.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Action-Camera-Sensor-Bluetooth/dp/B00UFFZUO6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520591577&sr=8-3&keywords=xiaomi+yi

Keep in mind, that this is just the camera and charging cable. You'll need to buy the waterproof case and mount for the bike. Both of which can be had cheap enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement