Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Have to say that I very rarely have any issues with motorbike riders - in my experience they tend to be very road aware. This guy was just an idiot. I've seen him before driving his bike in the segregated bike lane on the Blackrock bypass.

Thanks for the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

daragh_ wrote: »
    Have to say that I very rarely have any issues with motorbike riders - in my experience they tend to be very road aware. This guy was just an idiot. I've seen him before driving his bike in the segregated bike lane on the Blackrock bypass.

Thanks for the link!

I bet I know the guy actually... I've seen one chap who would skip up onto that cycle lane when I lived out that way a year or so ago. Never caught him on my camera, I wish I had...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I have encountered similar behaviour on the Rock road, maybe a serial offender?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If you know who it is, try reporting to the Gardai. They might have a word...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jjpep wrote: »
    I know this makes me a snob and a horrible person on general but I never bother engaging with taxi drivers for the simple reason that's its not a job that attracts bright and intelligent people.
    I'm not sure that's a fair generalisation. I've had some interesting chats as a taxi passenger, with drivers who are clearly decent, smart people. There are a lot of dicks too of course.

The value of engaging is not the immediate response you get. You may well get a defensive or abusive response, but it is still worth engaging. There is a chance that your engagement will result in a second thought next time he is in that scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

I'm not sure that's a fair generalisation. I've had some interesting chats as a taxi passenger, with drivers who are clearly decent, smart people. There are a lot of dicks too of course.

The value of engaging is not the immediate response you get. You may well get a defensive or abusive response, but it is still worth engaging. There is a chance that your engagement will result in a second thought next time he is in that scenario.

You are of course completely correct. Its just for me personally I've just gotten tired of doing it. When you make every effort to be polite and friendly (despite the fact the person you're speaking to you has just endangered your life) and all you get back is abuse or stupidity - its too frustrating for me. At this point in my life I feel its either fight fire with fire or just don't engage and fight back other ways i.e report to the gardai etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You are of course completely correct. Its just for me personally I've just gotten tired of doing it. When you make every effort to be polite and friendly (despite the fact the person you're speaking to you has just endangered your life) and all you get back is abuse or stupidity - its too frustrating for me. At this point in my life I feel its either fight fire with fire or just don't engage and fight back other ways i.e report to the gardai etc.

Yep, it is frustrating for sure - though I've had the reverse scenario too. A taxi man blew though a red light with pedestrians waiting to cross recently. I signalled to him to open the window, and asked him what the hell he was talking. He was apologetic, and basically 'talked me down' and I cycled off fairly happy. I think that he drove off with a fair intention not to break red lights again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

As a motorcyclist and cyclist, very surprised at the behaviour of that motorcyclist. But with the way they are riding, rest assured, they will soon get a belt or come off and learn a hard lesson. Driving like a moron on a motorcycle generally comes to one out come at the end, and that's coming off the bike.

Any motorcyclist worth there salt, knows riding a bike is about forward observation and anticipation, not seeing what you where about to do, is to me bad riding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I've seen the same person nearly get killed on two different mornings cycling on Westmoreland Street. Both times they've stuck out their hand to change lanes and done so without looking back. Both times a Dublin Bus Driver has had to slam on their brakes to stop running them down.

They literally stick out their hand and swing across the lanes. Bloody crazy.

Anyone hear what happened this morning at the roundabout close to the KCR? My missus rang me, heard a cyclist had been knocked there. She said the road had been closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Paradicia

Hi All,

I'm new to cycling and I'm always looking for ways to ride safer. I've noticed a common thing for cyclists to do since I've been on the bike around town, is for folk to weave on the inside lane between buses that are nearly stretched to the side of the path. Now, I'm fine with doing that as long as there's enough space but at times where it seems near impossible to fit between the gaps, some people try and stretch through. I'd consider myself confident enough on the bike but at times I just feels there's unneeded risk by trying to fit through a gap that tight.

Has anyone experienced near misses because of the like mentioned above? I'm more than happy just to sit and wait for the traffic to move sitting behind a car, as opposed to risking falling weaving between a massive bus. Am I crazy for thinking this?

It brings into question the lack of bike lanes around some parts of the city.

• Advertisement

Paradicia wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm new to cycling and I'm always looking for ways to stay safer. I've noticed a common thing for cyclists to do since I've been on the bike around, is for folk to weave on the inside lane between buses that are nearly stretched to the side of the path. Now I'm fine with doing that as long as there's enough space but

I'm not too sure I understand what you mean by "weave on the inside lane between buses". Can you explain in more detail?

I'm not too sure I understand what you mean by "weave on the inside lane between buses". Can you explain in more detail?

By that, I mean -- cycling through the gap between a bus and the footpath.

Sorry I should have been more clear on that part of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

I know this makes me a snob and a horrible person on general but I never bother engaging with taxi drivers for the simple reason that's its not a job that attracts bright and intelligent people.

This is probably an issue of  sampling bias - in that the "good" taxi drivers don't drive in a way that you need to engage with them, whereas the "bad" taxi drivers don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Paradicia wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm new to cycling and I'm always looking for ways to ride safer. I've noticed a common thing for cyclists to do since I've been on the bike around town, is for folk to weave on the inside lane between buses that are nearly stretched to the side of the path. Now, I'm fine with doing that as long as there's enough space but at times where it seems near impossible to fit between the gaps, some people try and stretch through. I'd consider myself confident enough on the bike but at times I just feels there's unneeded risk by trying to fit through a gap that tight.

Confidence is one thing but thinking you can fit through a gap when there's a person driving a vehicle that is capable of making a mistake or not noticing you is a different thing.

My view would be that if the bus is moving, then definitely don't do it. If the bus is stopped in traffic, then gauge to see if it's likely to start moving by the time you get to the front of it. If you have to put your foot on the kerb to scoot along beside the stationary bus, then I think there isn't enough room.

I think it takes a bit of experience to build up your own internal rule-set. Hang back and look at what other cyclists do. If you see somebody doing that and you think 'what if the bus driver didn't see them', then it's probably a good way to see that it's a bad idea.

onmebike wrote: »
    Confidence is one thing but thinking you can fit through a gap when there's a person driving a vehicle that is capable of making a mistake or not noticing you is a different thing.

My view would be that if the bus is moving, then definitely don't do it. If the bus is stopped in traffic, then gauge to see if it's likely to start moving by the time you get to the front of it. If you have to put your foot on the kerb to scoot along beside the stationary bus, then I think there isn't enough room.

I think it takes a bit of experience to build up your own internal rule-set. Hang back and look at what other cyclists do. If you see somebody doing that and you think 'what if the bus driver didn't see them', then it's probably a good way to see that it's a bad idea.

Thanks for the insight. My bike is quite large compared to a normal commuter or rented Dublin bike so I think I will wait and see what others are doing before making a decision and hang back in the traffic and wait. I feel a lot safer being in the middle as opposed to the side of the road, as I'm always on the lookout for people walking out onto the street or cars pulling out.

I could hear a scratching noise as I was passing through a pathway on D'Oiler street on Saturday between a bus that was nearly over onto the footpath. I was staying close to the footpath in an effort to avoid any contact with the bus.

After that, I thought I should be way more careful when it comes to trying to get through on the inside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and to add to the above - if you see the bus is within 50m of a bus stop, don't go up the inside, just in case the driver decides to let a passenger out 'near' the stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Also, there's no rule that says you can't overtake the Bus on the outside, you don't have to stay beside the footpath. A lot of the time it's safer to take the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

and to add to the above - if you see the bus is within 50m of a bus stop, don't go up the inside, just in case the driver decides to let a passenger out 'near' the stop.

Stops are often only 150m apart so that is literally 2/3 of the time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

I had one of those interactions today that upon reflection, I did not handle in the best fashion. Sitting at a red light from Hume St onto Stephen's Green, waiting to turn left. Right-turning traffic has a green, I'm standing patiently at the white line in the left-most lane, beside the kerb.

A Dublin Bus came from behind me, with the mirror passing so close to my head I felt the breeze. The driver pulled out into the junction so the white line is about halfway down the bus, and then stops with his left indicator flashing.

I'm now in this awkward position where if I don't move, I could get pinned by the bus. The safest (and probably most mature) option would've been to pull up onto the footpath, but that's for people who don't enjoy endangering themselves to make a point.

As soon as the light went green, I shot up his inside before he started his manoeuvre and made sure I got out in front before he swung around. From his facial expression I think it was more surprise of 'where did he come from?' rather than 'that cyclist should've stayed out of my way'.

I'm torn as to whether to report it. He clearly just did not see me at all despite it being daylight (17.00), but he did seem to learn a lesson from the shock of it, as he stayed well behind me for the length of Earlsfort Terrace. There was no shouting or punishment passing.

Then again, I'm disappointed that's my bar for reporting something - 'well hey, he didn't follow up his complete lack of observation with any maliciousness!'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting one today which had me wondering for a while if i was the one in the wrong. stopped at the lights, heading northbound through this junction:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2889901,-6.1748943,184a,51.4y,1.9t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

i was close to the kerb - close enough to have my left foot on it, while waiting to head straight on, and a couple of metres to my right was a motorcyclist, also waiting at the lights. the light went green, and as i was pulling away the motorbike veered hard across in front of me. i yelled a couple of 'OI's and he ened up veering around the traffic island on the left turn to avoid me.
    i couldn't remember as i was cycling away whether there was an advance stop box there based on what had just happened, but going by the satellite there is. i don't recall if he had his indicator on, but i don't think i paid enough heed to say he did or didn't.

but for a while i was wondering; as he got there first, was (probably) indicating - does his position in the lane matter? did i pull up alongside him and just assume that due to his lane position (in the middle or to the right of his lane i think), mean that he was going straight on?

i think he may have decided he was in the wrong, as i was crossing the bottom of carysfort avenue a few minutes later, he was waiting at the lights and gave me what looked like a conciliatory wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can't say for definite legally - but practically he's crossing your parallel path of travel so should be making sure its clear before moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

a near miss on the coast cycle path on my way home yesterday!

myself and another lad were cycling close together between the causeway and the bottom of the Howth road. we were on the left side of our cycle lane, going along at an ok pace but nothing crazy. a guy on a bike coming against us decided to swerve completely across the cycle lane in order to avoid a few bumps on his side of the cycle lane, this despite the 2 oncoming cyclists and the lack of pedestrians to his left. the guy in front of me swerved hard into the footpath section and let out a roar along the lines of 'JESUS, WOULD YOU WATCH OUT', nothing more explicit than that. the vitriol in the response of the guy coming against us was something to behold.

turned up onto the Howth road about 30 seconds later and there was a car completely blocking the cycle lane so its desperate passenger (male in his 50s) could relieve himself against a fence. good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

buffalo wrote: »
    I had one of those interactions today that upon reflection, I did not handle in the best fashion. Sitting at a red light from Hume St onto Stephen's Green, waiting to turn left. Right-turning traffic has a green, I'm standing patiently at the white line in the left-most lane, beside the kerb.

A Dublin Bus came from behind me, with the mirror passing so close to my head I felt the breeze. The driver pulled out into the junction so the white line is about halfway down the bus, and then stops with his left indicator flashing.

I'm now in this awkward position where if I don't move, I could get pinned by the bus. The safest (and probably most mature) option would've been to pull up onto the footpath, but that's for people who don't enjoy endangering themselves to make a point.

As soon as the light went green, I shot up his inside before he started his manoeuvre and made sure I got out in front before he swung around. From his facial expression I think it was more surprise of 'where did he come from?' rather than 'that cyclist should've stayed out of my way'.

I'm torn as to whether to report it. He clearly just did not see me at all despite it being daylight (17.00), but he did seem to learn a lesson from the shock of it, as he stayed well behind me for the length of Earlsfort Terrace. There was no shouting or punishment passing.

Then again, I'm disappointed that's my bar for reporting something - 'well hey, he didn't follow up his complete lack of observation with any maliciousness!'

I am stopped at those lights, turning left, everyday at around the same time. It's very rare for both the left and right filters to go green together so maybe the driver was new to the route and misstook the right filter for a full green? I doubt it though!

a near miss on the coast cycle path on my way home yesterday!

myself and another lad were cycling close together between the causeway and the bottom of the Howth road. we were on the left side of our cycle lane, going along at an ok pace but nothing crazy. a guy on a bike coming against us decided to swerve completely across the cycle lane in order to avoid a few bumps on his side of the cycle lane, this despite the 2 oncoming cyclists and the lack of pedestrians to his left. the guy in front of me swerved hard into the footpath section and let out a roar along the lines of 'JESUS, WOULD YOU WATCH OUT', nothing more explicit than that. the vitriol in the response of the guy coming against us was something to behold.

turned up onto the Howth road about 30 seconds later and there was a car completely blocking the cycle lane so its desperate passenger (male in his 50s) could relieve himself against a fence. good times.

The surface can be quite bad on that track, and it is narrow enough if you keep between the lines. But I think you both should have returned to single file when you saw another cyclist approaching and allowed them to pass.

That being said, obviously this guy was silly to swerve in to you both given the circumstances. But there was action that both of you could have taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

The surface can be quite bad on that track, and it is narrow enough if you keep between the lines. But I think you both should have returned to single file when you saw another cyclist approaching and allowed them to pass.

That being said, obviously this guy was silly to swerve in to you both given the circumstances. But there was action that both of you could have taken.

Read it that way first myself, but think they were single file and cycling 'together' refers to one in front of the other

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Read it that way first myself, but think they were single file and cycling 'together' refers to one in front of the other

yes sorry, I was on his wheel, we weren't 2 abreast. I wouldn't be giving out if we were!

yes sorry, I was on his wheel, we weren't 2 abreast. I wouldn't be giving out if we were!

Oh! Sorry. He's 100% a numpty so!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Coming home this being through the Phoenix park, just entered the cycle lane at the cricket club heading out of town. Heavy rain, 6.30pm.

Noticed a scobily dressed (hoody, tracksuit, unfeasibly white runners) gentleman on my right as I entered the cycle lane, who made a deliberate lunge towards me in an effort to knock me off the bike. Thankfully 100kg mass and considerable speed brushed him off. Not sure if a confrontation to see if I’d stop. That’s scobes for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

• Advertisement

it's his own fault, he clearly didn't read the sticker on the back of the van.

445818.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement