Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Can’t really read the sign. Doss it say “cyclists - van driven by idiot”?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Where is this MPD law?

I left so much footage in as when I confronted the driver he didn't say much but another taxi driver followed me and said I was all over the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

papu wrote: »
    Where is this MPD law?

I left so much footage in as when I confronted the driver he didn't say much but another taxi driver followed me and said I was all over the road.

A lot of taxi drivers make a point of deliberately clipping cyclists in shared bus / bike lanes. It’s their way of showing we shouldn’t be on their road. The only way this is going to change is if the gardai are bombarded with these videos. Pulse numbers recorded and follow ups done. Time consuming and tedious but at the moment in my own view there’s a lot of nutty taxi drivers out there who clearly don’t give a sh!te about cyclists and that pose the biggest risks to city cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lots of taxis on phones, easy way to get them a nice few points for their insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

This is actually pretty much the opposite to a near miss but thought I would post it to counter some of the negative experiences people are having out there.

Was out on a short ride this morning, Co Dublin rural road, was coming to the end of long straight approaching a somewhat blind bend where I've had many cars charging past me too fast and too close, so desperate not to have to wait a couple of seconds.

I heard a car approaching from behind and I was waiting for them to do the the usual "charge through at all costs". Instead I was pleasantly surprised when they slowed down behind me and waited patiently for me to get through the bend to where there was better visibility before giving me a nice wide overtake.

Gave them a wave as they passed only to realise it was a Garda car. Fair play lads, It was really nice to see gardai setting such a good example on the roads. More of that desperately needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Maybe it’s just the weather and bank holiday, but this thread has quietened right down since the 1.5m ads on tv. I’ve had a couple of close-ish passes in the last week and maybe it’s jusg confirmation bias, but could it be working already? Have noticed more patience out there. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Maybe it’s just the weather and bank holiday, but this thread has quietened right down since the 1.5m ads on tv. I’ve had a couple of close-ish passes in the last week and maybe it’s jusg confirmation bias, but could it be working already? Have noticed more patience out there. I think.

Hopefully it is working. However, I had a taxi (minibus) tailgate me today when he had no hope of overtaking me with on-coming traffic. The lights ahead were red making it even more pointless/aggressive. Then he blasted past beeping and shouting out an open window that I was blocking the road (cars parked on left were the hazard, not me). At the lights. I asked him what he gained from driving just behind my back wheel and he said he gave me enough space and I was delaying him.....(this from a guy stopped at a red light behind lots of other cars while talking to the slow guy he accused of delaying him) Then two idiots in an ice cream van ahead of the taxi on the next lane then joined in and said that I did not pay road tax so what was my problem. I said it’s about respecting all road users not tax...One of them then said something like if he had €25 for every cyclist he met with an attitude like mine they would be rich. Total dicks, rough sounding guys too!

I see no hope for min passing with the likes of these driving on public roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Not my experience anyway. I have felt that over the past year I have been experiencing an increase in close passes, and last Friday I had the most near misses I can remember in one day. I was out on the bike for three hours and had 6! very close passes. Three vans, two cars and one cement mixing Lorry.

The lorry was within a metre, the vans and one of the cars all within half a metre, and the second car dangerously overtook me on a single lane roundabout. The worst part was that the majority of these passes took place on wide sections of the Enniskerry road, where there is more than enough room to give 1.5 metres without moving into the oncoming lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Last night at the Northumberland Rd/Haddington Road junction a cyclist decided to "go" on the pedestrian lights, just as three pedestrians stepped into the road in front of him. Absolute disgrace and the reason why we collectively get such a bad name - cyclists are always jumping these lights but that was the worst I have seen

This morning at UCD/N11 another impatient cyclist decided he could cycle through a red light (parallel to N11) when the lights went green for traffic exiting UCD. The driver pointed at the lights and wagged his finger at the cyclist. Another example of bad behavior that could get the rider/pedestrian injured or killed - come one everyone, we have to do better than this, don't give the other road users an excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

homer911 wrote: »
    ...come one everyone, we have to do better than this, don't give the other road users an excuse!

You can be fairly sure that neither of those people read this thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I just can't be arsed posting about them any more! Yesterday evening two cars overtook me closely while we were all only meters from a junction with red lights, the 2nd guy then closed the gap to the kerb presumably so I couldn't get past him then :mad:. Having said that I think the people who 'didn't realise' they should give a bit more space probably are doing so now, but the ars*holes are still being ars*holes and I guess no advertising campaign is going to stop them!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Last night at the Northumberland Rd/Haddington Road junction a cyclist decided to "go" on the pedestrian lights, just as three pedestrians stepped into the road in front of him. Absolute disgrace and the reason why we collectively get such a bad name - cyclists are always jumping these lights but that was the worst I have seen

This morning at UCD/N11 another impatient cyclist decided he could cycle through a red light (parallel to N11) when the lights went green for traffic exiting UCD. The driver pointed at the lights and wagged his finger at the cyclist. Another example of bad behavior that could get the rider/pedestrian injured or killed - come one everyone, we have to do better than this, don't give the other road users an excuse!

But why do a few give everyone a bad name. There are thousands of crap and dangerous drivers on the road doing silly things every day. There is no large scale tarring of them all though.

Anyway, bus lane on Drumcondra road today. Had a taxi somehow find space to pass me safely, and nice and slow. Followed by an idiot in a VW who decided he'd like to cut ahead of all the patient traffic because you know, their time is obviously more valuable. In his doing so, he came all too close to my elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Yesterday morning 6 (yes 6) cars broke the red lights from Conyngham Road heading to the city, I was coming from the PP waiting patiently for green, had to wait longer to let them through...Today a white coach broke the pedestrian lights at speed around Bachelor's Walk, a red van drove up the bus lane and then proceeded to break a set of lights, two cars blocked a yellow box at the junction of Castleknock Road and Hawthorn Lawn meaning other cars couldn't cross the roundabout.

I could go on......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Tuesday morning a Kia Sportage came very close to clipping me and yesterday morning a Qashqai did the same. Both of them in a massive rush to get stuck at the next set of lights/queue of traffic.

I just can't get over the use of these bloody SUVs for ferrying kids around in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I just can't get over the use of these bloody SUVs for ferrying kids around in traffic.

Why ? What's wrong with driving an SUV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Whats right with it?

droidus wrote: »
    Whats right with it?

It's a car. People use them for transport.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Why ? What's wrong with driving an SUV ?

What is the point in possessing one in an urban environment?

A car ? or a small SUV ? I think your issue might be about the drivers of these cars that close passed you rather than the cars themselves ? It's not like the car models mentioned are actual SUVs. They are actually perfectly suited to an urban environment.

I disagree, they are far too large, they use more fuel because they are generally heavier (comparable to a contemporary saloon or hatchback), they are higher and are sold as offering 'a commanding view of the road' which has a negative effect on driver psychology, some models are extremely dangerous when it comes to reversing and lines of sight, and in many cases they trade the occupants safety for the safety of those in normal cars (another selling point) as in the event of an accident the disparity in size, weight and structure puts the normal car at a huge disadvantage, they also triple the risk of death if they strike a pedestrian and are more likely to kill children due to a combination of driving position and design.

All in all, they have no place in an urban setting and it is a victory for marketing that small trucks which are more likely to kill have somehow become an acceptable means of city transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I disagree, they are far too large, they use more fuel because they are generally heavier (comparable to a contemporary saloon or hatchback), they are higher and are sold as offering 'a commanding view of the road' which has a negative effect on driver psychology, some models are extremely dangerous when it comes to reversing and lines of sight, and in many cases they trade the occupants safety for the safety of those in normal cars (another selling point) as in the event of an accident the disparity in size, weight and structure puts the normal car at a huge disadvantage, they also triple the risk of death if they strike a pedestrian and are more likely to kill children due to a combination of driving position and design.

All in all, they have no place in an urban setting and it is a victory for marketing that small trucks which are more likely to kill have somehow become an acceptable means of city transport.

I agree completely. They contribute to "king of the road" syndrome.

When visiting other european cities, particularly the ones in mediterranean countries I'm often struck by the lack of these ridiculous looking tanks clogging up the roads compared to here. People for the most part seem to be able to happily go about their business using regular cars.

Yup. and don't take my word for it - there's a ton of research on this, especially from the US and Australia, some of it is extremely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I heard someone mentioning chiropractor bill savings and a high boot loading area once as a real reason for getting one of these tractor things. Maybe I'm a bit stupid, but surely lifting something from the ground up to a *lower* boot loading area would be easier. Am I missing something really obvious about the laws of physics here? Maybe the sheer mass of these things changes the physical laws of the universe a bit like the weird stuff that happens near black holes?

An acquaintance once switched from a perfectly good saloon car to some kind of high end and very expensive 4x4 on the *assumption* that it would accommodate three child seats in the back. It didn't. They didn't think they could handle the practicality of a 'mom-wagon' people carrier, or the inexpense of getting the skinnier child seats that come with something like a Multi-Mac bench.

I suspect that the type of person who would go for one of these vehicles doesn't mind losing a lot of visibility out the back as they rarely bother to glance that way anyway, which is alarming considering that you do see a lot of them on school runs and supermarket carparks where rear visibility is actually quite useful/absolutely bloody critical.

As you can see, I'm not exactly enamoured with the all pervasiveness of these bloody monstrosity vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Duckjob wrote: »
    I agree completely. They contribute to "king of the road" syndrome.

I'd thank this post twice if I could.

Great to see the tolerance towards others here in this forum. I hope we remember this the next time someone mouths off about bloody cyclists.

Let's not forget, the example of these huge metal beasts of cars were a Nissan Qashqai and Kia Sportage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Great to see the tolerance towards others here in this forum. I hope we remember this the next time someone mouths off about bloody cyclists.

Let's not forget, the example of these huge metal beasts of cars were a Nissan Qashqai and Kia Sportage.

:rolleyes: Can you offer a reasoned rebuttal to the points argued above?

Great to see the tolerance towards others here in this forum.

Looks like my suv-ophobia has spilled over into something more sinister.
    The Fr. Ted line "I hear you're a racist now, Father." is starting to echo around my head!

buffalo wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Can you offer a reasoned rebuttal to the points argued above?

No. I shouldn't need to. People have a choice as to what they buy to transport themselves around. It's nothing to do with me what other people drive, as long as they drive safely with respect to other people who use the roads.
    I don't agree with driving large cars around the city myself, in fact I recently swapped out of a VW Passat to a seat Ibiza, but neither do I agree with forcing my opinions on others. Especially when the usual rhetoric is used (massive metal boxes, huge monstrosities, etc. etc.). It's not like this is the US where the SUVs are actually huge. We're talking about "SUVs" here that have a smaller footprint than most saloons.

• Advertisement

I hope for a more inclusive world where SUV drivers can be accepted as normal people too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement