Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Interestingly I've noticed a garda at College Green who is insistent on directing you up that cycle lane by the BOI no matter which direction you want to go.

Had a few near misses lately with cars turning right in Drumcondra between the canal and Clonliffe Road as I was going north. Possibly my fault for filtering though, not sure on that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ferris wrote: »
    Looks to me like the cyclist is undertaking here, although the driver should have checked his blind spot.

Same has occurred to me a few times at that junction and I’ve learned to stay back from cars crossing the cycle path, it’s just easier

yeah thats my route in too, its more dangerous when there isnt as much traffic tbh as people floor it to get a second or 2 ahead

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

P_1 wrote: »
    Interestingly I've noticed a garda at College Green who is insistent on directing you up that cycle lane by the BOI no matter which direction you want to go.
    many years ago, i used to cycle through chapelizod on the way into work in the morning (down knockmaroon hill and along the side of the park); and there was a garda on duty in the mornings at that bad junction - and as soon as he saw a cyclist, he'd stop all other traffic, and wave the cyclist through, before resuming 'normal' operations. used to always give him a wave, top bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

that's on my commute. i'm not sure if the bollards have helped or hindered the situation.
    Same has occurred to me a few times at that junction and I’ve learned to stay back from cars crossing the cycle path, it’s just easier

I presume that the bollards were added to prevent motor vehicles from using (and stopping in) the bike lane to skip past the straight-ahead queue when turning left, but I feel that it was better without them because, in faster traffic, you could take the lane to keep left-turners back, if required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i think if a car cuts across you there now, it's going to be a bit more abrupt.
    the bollards were replaced a while back - someone had obviously driven through them - but now, the cycle lane there is filthy from the work going on building whatever monstrosity that is in the frascati centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I posted this on the motors > dashcams, but I think you guys would want to see it.
    Shocking stuff you have to put up with.
    I love cycling myself, but this kind of driving turns me off from cycling to work.

Looks to me like the cyclist is undertaking here, although the driver should have checked his blind spot.

Are you not allowed to undertake if the outside lane is moving slowly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I think you may have mistaken that the garda wanted you to go that way. It was probably for a taxi or car somewhere behind you. I had the same thing but I gestured asking him if he meant me but he gestured, no, the taxi behind me.

It's hard to make out for sure but I can't see any indicator on until the car is already on the bike track. Car driver in the wrong from what I can see. The driver should have been indicating from the start of the bollards.

In that situation, for cyclist positioning, it is better to be well in front or behind the car in such a situation (as in parallel on the bike track) - definitely never side by side as it is on the firing line for bad drivers - can never trust that indicators will be used. This can be difficult when there are a lot of cars on the lane varying speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

axer wrote: »
    I think you may have mistaken that the garda wanted you to go that way. It was probably for a taxi or car somewhere behind you. I had the same thing but I gestured asking him if he meant me but he gestured, no, the taxi behind me.

No he actually called out to me and pointed towards it specifically mentioning the cycle lane. Saw him there again this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ruat Caelum

PaulieC wrote: »
    Talk to anyone about cyclists and they don't mention the 95% of safe cyclists. All cyclists get tarred with the RLJ brush regardless.

I can't agree that 95% cyclists are safe. I commute on the bike everyday, don't drive at all. Every morning I go one of two routes, towards town through harold's cross, and then up the canal ... or when I have to go into town, over the canal and up the south circular road. If traffic lights are at cross roads, I would estimate at least 40% will go through with the pedestrian green light (I'm thinking the crossroads where kimmage road meets sundrive, crossroads at the canal, and crossroads at Leonards corner). At the traffic lights where Kimmage road lower (R817) meets Harold's Cross road (R137) not long before the Hospice, I would say at least 50% of cyclists jump the redlight some mornings.

I know there are plenty of safe cyclists, and I try to be one of them, but I don't think it benefits anyone by ignoring how many unsafe cyclists there are out there either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ruat Caelum

axer wrote: »
    It's hard to make out for sure but I can't see any indicator on until the car is already on the bike track. Car driver in the wrong from what I can see. The driver should have been indicating from the start of the bollards.

Indicator doesn't come on until the chap on the bike has started his kick... I would have thought the car driver is definitely in the wrong there. Scary looking stuff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Indicator doesn't come on until the chap on the bike has started his kick... I would have thought the car driver is definitely in the wrong there. Scary looking stuff.

There’s a new bridge across the N3 on the Blanchardstown North road with these kind of cycles lanes with exit lanes crossing them. Motorists will just speed up and left book you all the time rather than ease off to pull in safely behind you.

I’ve switched my route because that new stretch of cycle lane is too dangerous.

yes, looks like the front wheel of the car is already halfway across the cycle lane when the indicator first comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I posted this on the motors > dashcams, but I think you guys would want to see it.
    Shocking stuff you have to put up with.
    I love cycling myself, but this kind of driving turns me off from cycling to work.

I commute this way every morning and evening during peak hours. When the cycle lanes went in first I was fully expecting all sorts of accidents and incidents. However I have been pleasantly surprised and I would say that incident above is rare enough. The majority of motorists seem to be able to check their wing mirrors and will wait until the cycle lane is clear. There are a number of junctions like this along the Blackrock bypass and they seem to be working, mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had an overall bad week myself. Lots of messing on the road. Had two weird ones happen at the same time yesterday. I was cycling home on the coast road to Portmarnock, which is a bad stretch really. I had a car beep and overtake poorly and once in front slow down to around 30km/h (roughly my pace), and for a prolonged period of time. I was extremely cautious and pulled back, and then while this was going on I had a motorcyclist come up beside me. He was practically on top of me, just so he could have a word. He had an old rant about me being in the middle of the road etc etc. Both driver and motorcyclist left without any more interaction shortly after but what the hell? Part of me wished I said to the biker for him to ride that stretch at 30km/h in the position he would've liked me to ride. He would have changed his perception quick enough.

And there I was thinking that this would be a quiet/easy week with the schools off.

No he actually called out to me and pointed towards it specifically mentioning the cycle lane. Saw him there again this morning.
    That's very strange as it was probably the same garda I came across Wednesday morning and he seemed only interested in taxis/cars but he was pointing and gesturing to what looked like the cycle track. I'd ask him what is he on about since he has no reason to be directing you that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

Not my near miss. Was cycling a few meters
    Behind.
    Bus driver squeezes a cyclist (mother with a child) in the cycle lane (Leeson Street Upper corner with Wellington Place)
    She was in the cycle lane already and he decided he had enough space to overtake her.
    He was barely 20cm from her handlebars at some point, and she was already at the edge of the cycle lane (I was behind her about 10m or less)
    Catched up with the driver at the next lights:
    Me - that was a very close pass with the mother and the child in the bike, have you seen then?
    Driver - it was safe I have seen her.
    Me - safe for who? For her it wasn’t you almost hit her and the kid, are you aware of the new minimum passing distance? The one meter minimum one?
    He - it was saw enough, we don’t have 1 meter available here.
    Reported to Dublin Bus now, likely will just get the standard reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"Please fill out our webform here and we'll pretend that we'll get back to you"

managed to pull a muscle in my arm this morning slapping the bonnet of a car. happened right outside the office.

to be fair, the driver tracked me down to the locker room to apologise. he said 'hopefully no harm done' and i decided it was wise not to blame the pulled muscle on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

bikedude wrote: »
    Not my near miss. Was cycling a few meters
    Behind.
    Bus driver squeezes a cyclist (mother with a child) in the cycle lane (Leeson Street Upper corner with Wellington Place)
    She was in the cycle lane already and he decided he had enough space to overtake her.
    He was barely 20cm from her handlebars at some point, and she was already at the edge of the cycle lane (I was behind her about 10m or less)
    Catched up with the driver at the next lights:
    Me - that was a very close pass with the mother and the child in the bike, have you seen then?
    Driver - it was safe I have seen her.
    Me - safe for who? For her it wasn’t you almost hit her and the kid, are you aware of the new minimum passing distance? The one meter minimum one?
    He - it was saw enough, we don’t have 1 meter available here.
    Reported to Dublin Bus now, likely will just get the standard reply.

Only that you said Dublin Bus, I would've assumed it was the Bus Eireann driver I encountered last night. Whitworth Road - totally clear of oncoming traffic, gives about half a meter as the front of the bus overtakes and then pulls back in so I've about 20-30cm clearance from the middle of the bus.

Passed him in traffic, he did the same but worse on the N2. I went around a parked car, nice straight lines to be visible and predictable. He overtook and pulled in toward the kerb before I'd finished my overtake, and (I believe this is the correct wording) I collided with the bus. Thankfully arm only, but I didn't get his reg I was so focussed on staying upright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Was driving (hurdy hurr, road tax, rabble rabble) on the north circular road the other day and about to turn right onto Oxmantown road here. Coming towards me is a cyclist followed by a Dublin Bus. Just before they draw level with me, the bus squeezed between us. I was right up against the white line, so he didnt leave his lane at all to overtake the cyclist, and it's certainly not a wide road, especially for a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

just joined Eaast wall road this morning coming off Alfie Byrne road, so heading towards Dublin port. at the petrol station there was a truck reversing off the footpath into heavy traffic so needless to say there was a bit of backed up traffic and everyone in the inside lane had to move out to get past the truck.

a guy on a motorbike came up on my left hand side and started moving out without overtaking me, basically squeezing me towards the cars that were overtaking me on my right. I said something like "don't mind me", got the classic "fvck off" in response as he drove off. will check it on the camera tonight to see if it's clear.

Not really a near miss. Had to let a roar at a post man this morning as I rode passed to tell him to get off the phone as he wobbled along one hand on the bars. This was a busy main road and has a few nasty potholes and dips you need to watch for. Few cars behind us had the sense to stay put when they saw him and waited till they could give a wide birth, heard a few beeps once I was up the road so he was likely still on the bloody phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not really a near miss. Had to let a roar at a post man this morning as I rode passed to tell him to get off the phone as he wobbled along one hand on the bars. This was a busy main road and has a few nasty potholes and dips you need to watch for. Few cars behind us had the sense to stay put when they saw him and waited till they could give a wide birth, heard a few beeps once I was up the road so he was likely still on the bloody phone.

An Post drivers love using their phones too. Only a matter of time until they do serious damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭FranklinMint

Biggest problem with an post drivers is them sorting out the mail while driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Was parked stationary with engine off outside the Clontarf Baths this evening at 6.45p.m. adjacent to off road pedestrian pavement. I'm a female solo in the car. Not anywhere near cycle lane all other cyclists continue to traverse the actual cycle lane.

Cyclist I'll wager in his 60s comes over, bangs on my driver window, screaming at me "open the door, open the door, get off my lane, get off my lane." I'm terrified and freeze. A passing woman asks him what's wrong and he screams "she won't engage with me, she won't engage with me". I held up my phone and showed him 999 and sneakily managed to get a good photograph of him. When he saw the 999 he laughed and got back on his bike.

It's no wonder people truly hate cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Was parked stationary with engine off outside the Clontarf Baths this evening at 6.45p.m. adjacent to off road pedestrian pavement. I'm a female solo in the car. Not anywhere near cycle lane all other cyclists continue to traverse the actual cycle lane.

Cyclist I'll wager in his 60s comes over, bangs on my driver window, screaming at me "open the door, open the door, get off my lane, get off my lane." I'm terrified and freeze. A passing woman asks him what's wrong and he screams "she won't engage with me, she won't engage with me". I held up my phone and showed him 999 and sneakily managed to get a good photograph of him. When he saw the 999 he laughed and got back on his bike.

It's no wonder people truly hate cyclists.

Do you really expect people on a cycling forum to engage in a reasonable discussion when you finish with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Felexicon wrote: »
    Do you really expect people on a cycling forum to engage in a reasonable discussion when you finish with this?

I made a statement. His behaviour was appalling and in all likelihood I will contact Gardai. It's not a subject for "debate", but nor should I be expected to keep quiet.

Cyclists wonder why they are disliked, I'm giving you an example why.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I made a statement. His behaviour was appalling and in all likelihood I will contact Gardai. It's not a subject for "debate", but nor should I be expected to keep quiet.

You’re equating an arsehole with all cyclists, which is wrong. By all means report him, as he deserves it. Get off the high horse though. If I was to hate entire groups based on single interactions with single people, I’d hate the whole world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

We’ll put this on the Agenda for the AGM. Us cyclists all meet secretly once a year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement