Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Was parked stationary with engine off outside the Clontarf Baths this evening at 6.45p.m. adjacent to off road pedestrian pavement. I'm a female solo in the car. Not anywhere near cycle lane all other cyclists continue to traverse the actual cycle lane.

Cyclist I'll wager in his 60s comes over, bangs on my driver window, screaming at me "open the door, open the door, get off my lane, get off my lane." I'm terrified and freeze. A passing woman asks him what's wrong and he screams "she won't engage with me, she won't engage with me". I held up my phone and showed him 999 and sneakily managed to get a good photograph of him. When he saw the 999 he laughed and got back on his bike.

It's no wonder people truly hate cyclists.

He sounds like a right prick. Why involve the rest of us though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Video wont upload but this lad got kinda close this evening as I was about to enter the spawell roundabout. I was stopped thankfully, and under the impression I had taken the lane, but Mr Prius decided otherwise. He's moving in this still, and bear in mind it's the GoPro superview, so objects are closer than they appear

447414.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's no wonder why people truly hate over 60s.

It's no wonder why people truly hate men.

Why pick cycling as the hateful characteristic? Can we not just truly hate arseholes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Was parked stationary with engine off outside the Clontarf Baths this evening at 6.45p.m. adjacent to off road pedestrian pavement. I'm a female solo in the car. Not anywhere near cycle lane all other cyclists continue to traverse the actual cycle lane.

Cyclist I'll wager in his 60s comes over, bangs on my driver window, screaming at me "open the door, open the door, get off my lane, get off my lane." I'm terrified and freeze. A passing woman asks him what's wrong and he screams "she won't engage with me, she won't engage with me". I held up my phone and showed him 999 and sneakily managed to get a good photograph of him. When he saw the 999 he laughed and got back on his bike.

Its a fair point, this guy is an asshat. But early in your post you say " all other cyclists", implying this guy is in the minority in regards his behaviour. Do you use this way of pigeon holing members of a group who likely have little in common.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,975 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

managed to pull a muscle in my arm this morning slapping the bonnet of a car. happened right outside the office.

to be fair, the driver tracked me down to the locker room to apologise. he said 'hopefully no harm done' and i decided it was wise not to blame the pulled muscle on him.
    A work colleague? Just curious...
    Do you truly hate drivers every time you hear about a road rage incident involving a motorist?
    Cyclists wonder why they are disliked, I'm giving you an example why.
    Nah, you're really not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I made a statement. His behaviour was appalling and in all likelihood I will contact Gardai. It's not a subject for "debate", but nor should I be expected to keep quiet.

All drivers are hated because I saw one go through a red light today while pedestrians were crossing at a green man.

Am I doing this right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had typed up a smart alec response to this, but thought better of it (it was very witty though, but you'll have to take my word for it, i'm very witty when i don't have to stand over the evidence).
    yes, your experience as you related it was utterly uncalled for and deserves to be reported to the gardai. but as others have pointed out, this does not represent the behaviour of all cyclists, and coming onto a forum comprised of cyclists suggesting this could somehow be representative of cyclist behaviour is not going to be met with much sympathy.
    no more than a cyclist here having a negative experience with a motorist driving an (insert your car brand here) gives him or her the licence to label all drivers of said car to be inconsiderate assholes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

A work colleague? Just curious...
    works in the same company. i pointed him out to a colleague in the canteen and was told he's a decent sort. he was genuinely contrite, the scenario involved a dick move by a van driver and his subsequent reaction was the one which nearly took me off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

works in the same company. i pointed him out to a colleague in the canteen and was told he's a decent sort. he was genuinely contrite, the scenario involved a dick move by a van driver and his subsequent reaction was the one which nearly took me off the bike.

Sit beside him tomorrow, dip your chip in his fried egg, swirl it around and eat it whilst maintaining eye contact.

Prison style.

when i hear 'prison style', i think of this (NSFW):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzeu-7eRNhI

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

when i hear 'prison style', i think of this (NSFW):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzeu-7eRNhI
    Not what I was thinking of, probably less violent and inappropriate then where my mind went.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I made a statement. His behaviour was appalling and in all likelihood I will contact Gardai. It's not a subject for "debate", but nor should I be expected to keep quiet.

Equating one individual with a group isn't all that logical though. For example if you had a similar incident with a chap driving a white Avensis would you make a statement stating your wonder as to why all white Avensis drivers are disliked?

Saw an odd one this morning by the 5 lamps. Cyclist left hooked by a car towing a coffee stand, cyclist understandably remonstrates with driver of said car, a Garda car coming up Guild Street then proceeds to swing the left and pull the cyclist over with full sirens and everything. Not sure if they were calling the cyclist up on holding the traffic up or what.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was driving (hurdy hurr, road tax, rabble rabble) on the north circular road the other day and about to turn right onto Oxmantown road here. Coming towards me is a cyclist followed by a Dublin Bus. Just before they draw level with me, the bus squeezed between us. I was right up against the white line, so he didnt leave his lane at all to overtake the cyclist, and it's certainly not a wide road, especially for a bus.

NCR is awful for cycling on. Very dangerous in both directions. Barely space for two lanes, never mind when there is a bus or cyclist as well.

Where you parked in the bus lane? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Where you parked in the bus lane? :confused:

447463.jpg

Edit/ to add, taken at 18.49 yesterday so I guess this is the well parked poster...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

No, you're giving us an example of a person who's behavior was unacceptable. As others have said not all people who cycle a bike are of the same character. Plenty of asshats who drive motor cars too but you don't see anyone here tarring all car drivers with the same brush do you?

I hope you can see from the comments here that the leap you made from one guy to 'all cyclists' is wrong. And as you came in here to tell us that we're all assholes it is indeed a subject for debate.

#motorist #pedestrian #runner #andacyclist

If it is the car above, I genuinely doubt their version of events. They clearly lied about where they were parked.

I also saw them ignore at least 2 requests to move from cyclist who had difficulty getting past while I took that photo.

As I passed I also called out thay they can't park there but the driver appeared to be texting and either ignored me or couldn't hear.

Every story has more than one side. I didn't witness any harassment of the driver and it's **** if it did happen, but I doubt it did. The driver is clearly inconsiderate to anyone other than themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

site_owner wrote: »
    If it is the car above, I genuinely doubt their version of events. They clearly lied about where they were parked.

I also saw them ignore at least 2 requests to move from cyclist who had difficulty getting past while I took that photo.

As I passed I also called out thay they can't park there but the driver appeared to be texting and either ignored me or couldn't hear.

Every story has more than one side. I didn't witness any harassment of the driver and it's **** if it did happen, but I doubt it did. The driver is clearly inconsiderate to anyone other than themselves

If it is the car then it’s might be worth calling into clontarf Garda with the photo just to show that there is a second side to the story. I doubt mrs shuttleworth will be back to confirm it later though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If it is the car then it’s might be worth calling into clontarf Garda with the photo just to show that there is a second side to the story. I doubt mrs shuttleworth will be back to confirm it later though.

Could be liable for a fine too. Illegally parked there.

These are some of the prohibitions on parking, not merely restrictions
    ( g ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;

( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;

( k ) in a manner in which it will interfere with the normal flow of traffic or which obstructs or endangers other traffic;

Maybe not the first one, as it's not a premises, but the others would hold up I think. The bright orange barriers are in place to tell you, do not park here too you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I do hate the way every single motorist is inconsiderate and selfish and the way all of them stop and park in places where they are blocking progress of other vehicles. Motorists wonder why they are so disliked, this is why.

• Advertisement

I didn't get a reg unfortunately. Only took the photo to email to local council to try get something done about this section as it's going to be a ****show over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

site_owner wrote: »

I didn't get a reg unfortunately. Only took the photo to email to local council to try get something done about this section as it's going to be a ****show over the summer
    I'd suggest copying Councillor Ciaran Cuffe on your email. He was instrumental in getting the alterations done at the Vernon Avenue car park, and is a cycling enthusiast so will be sympathetic towards this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Anyway, getting back to the usual near misses and completely unnecessary close passes.

Heading home this evening, cycling up park gate street past the courts of justice, arm out and turning right to enter the park. I’m center lane.

Some tool in a land cruiser - the long wheel based version must be close on 2 tonnes - decides to overtake me, almost hitting my outstretch arm, on the song side of the road, then swerve again in front of me to avoid oncoming traffic in order to turn right and enter the park.

I did a quick check list as to what would have promoted this reckless move.

Helmet - yes
    Hi-vis - yes
    Lights - yep. Back and front.
    “Road tax” - yep all paid
    Insurance - yep. Car and bike.
    Breaking rules / cycling recklessly / breaking a red light - nope

So basically no reason. Just another idiot on that constant urge to get from a to b without scant regard of humans they may encounter.

Anyway all captured on a rear facing camera. Will look back but it probably warrants reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

A positive story today: there may have been a single near-miss overtake but I can't be certain because it passed in the blink of an eye and genuinely was the exception as a reasonable amount of drivers tend to observe MPDL (or sensible distances at any rate) here in Sheffield. Whilst cycling into and out of work today - the amount of drivers that I've had either give way, wait, or hold back has been quite noticeable. Even a few white van & work-van drivers in there too. But the one bit that I really remember was the lad with the windows down belting out drum & bass who held back behind me until it was safe to overtake. When I caught up with him at the back of a queue of traffic onto a roundabout about 30/40m ahead, there was one of those 'London black-cab' style taxis pulled over by the side of the road blocking me but not the other traffic; he pulled out a bit to allow me through. Gave him a thumbs up as I filtered through.

I don't always get days like this, but sometimes I really do think that Sheffield rules for cycling.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    on the song side of the road
    which song though?

(sorry, couldn't help it)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

WTF is wrong with people that they can’t wait for 30s behind a cyclist.

Lambs Cross this morning, a blue Octavia <snip> decided that waiting the club spin to make their way on the narrow part of the road was too much for him. He was flashing and honking for me to move, I was driving in front of him waiting for the group in front. He decided when we got to the school he had enough and overtook me in the car and the club spin in front, giving a punishment pass to the group leader at the front. Catched him up in Belarmine, stoped to have a “word” with him and He was showing the watch as he was in a hurry.

20 min later, Driving up to the trails in Kilmacanoge climb (we all know is a hard one) 2 cyclists in front of me, I was waiting to overtake when safe. The driver behind me was going mental, flashing the lights and looking if he could overtake me and the cyclist.

WTF is wrong with people that they can’t realize is another human being in front of then and they should respect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Simple , selfish cnuts . Totally self absorbed and borderline hostile. Their driving reflects their personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Not really a near miss but f&#king annoying all the same.

On the way home from work yesterday and had just come through the crossroads at Airside heading towards Swords. Half way down the hill an empty Swords Express overtakes me and gives me plenty of space. He then throws on the left indicator pulls in on front of me and stops about 10 meters on front of me. I was forced to stop and wait for a break in traffic to go around the bus. As I passed I noticed the driver getting out for a smoke so stopped and asked could he not have pulled in behind me if he was just stopping anyway. Just shrugged his shoulders and had that "couldn't give a bollox pal" look on his face.

Surely it is illegal for their buses to stop there while they wait for their next run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Felexicon wrote:
    Surely it is illegal for their buses to stop there while they wait for their next run?

I've often seen them & Dublin Bus's pulled in there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement