Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,972 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Felexicon wrote: »
    Surely it is illegal for their buses to stop there while they wait for their next run?
    rushfan wrote: »
    I've often seen them & Dublin Bus's pulled in there.

Would that be similar to how Ashbourne Connect often have a coach or double-decker parked on the double-yellows outside Treasury Building on Grand Canal St during evening rush hour?

447597.png

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Would that be similar to how Ashbourne Connect often have a coach or double-decker parked on the double-yellows outside Treasury Building on Grand Canal St during evening rush hour?

Could well be. They're usually parked in the bus lane on the way down from Pinnock Hill, always have hazards on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

bikedude wrote: »
    WTF is wrong with people that they can’t wait for 30s behind a cyclist.

Lambs Cross this morning, a blue Octavia <snip> decided that waiting the club spin to make their way on the narrow part of the road was too much for him. He was flashing and honking for me to move, I was driving in front of him waiting for the group in front. He decided when we got to the school he had enough and overtook me in the car and the club spin in front, giving a punishment pass to the group leader at the front. Catched him up in Belarmine, stoped to have a “word” with him and He was showing the watch as he was in a hurry.

20 min later, Driving up to the trails in Kilmacanoge climb (we all know is a hard one) 2 cyclists in front of me, I was waiting to overtake when safe. The driver behind me was going mental, flashing the lights and looking if he could overtake me and the cyclist.

WTF is wrong with people that they can’t realize is another human being in front of then and they should respect them.

It’s really bad around there. And don’t talk to me about mornings when school run is in full flight. Some motorists won’t stop for the traffic wardens and some that do beep and flash for them to hurry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

bikedude wrote: »
    WTF is wrong with people that they can’t realize is another human being in front of then and they should respect them.

Nothing new though, along time ago now a guy was giving out to me one time as an ambulance had blacked the road for the person lying on the ground with a possible spine injury (thankfully not in the end). Some people = sh1t. This is not a new or isolated phenomenon regretably. EMT asked would I go up and just explain that no traffic could come through. He was too concerned he was going to be late for work. This was clearly far more important than the person lying on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

while out on a long spin yesterday I had at least 4 incidents, 2 near miss, 2 almost identical cases of light breaking.

1. on the way up the canal towards Harolds cross bridge, while the ped lights were green a lady who'd been mainly focused on her phone in her lap up to this point while stopped at the red then decided to just drive straight through while still on red for her, green for peds.
    2. descending by the featherbeds and overtaking a cyclist on my left while still well within my lane the motorist coming up the hill against me decided to overtake another cyclist right in front of me. didn't seem at all phased by my eyeballs out, back wheel lifting off the ground while letting out a loud yell reaction. thankfully I was into a headwind so my speed was a good bit lower than it might have been.
    3. back towards Harolds cross bridge from the Terenure side and a dude pulls into the bus lane that I was cycling in about to undertake him. completely oblivious.
    4. while waiting at the lights at the bridge another motorist who was waiting at the red light while ped lights were green just decided that waiting is for fools and drove straight through the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

Unusual one...out yesterday with the club, near home so I trailed off on my own to finish off by climbing a local hill. Was halfway up the hill when a young teenage girl on a horse came out of a gate on front of me completely oblivious as she was staring down at her phone at the time ! The horse actually got a bit of a fright which brought her back to reality pretty quick. Wasn't exactly dangerous (apart from possibility of me getting a kick from the horse) but may have been a completely different ending had I been coming down the hill at the time :ermm:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Coming down by the sugarloaf yesterday. Cyclists coming up other direction, cars just behind them waiting, grand. Car coming out of an entrance to my left...I'd seen it as soon as it came into view and just *knew* (you know the way). As I descend closer (you know the speed you're doing coming down there) - the ****er starts to move out while looking in the other direction. Had to swerve out quickly as he started moving out as I got close.
    Cyclists on their way up could see it happening, I could see it happening. Could see other cyclists wincing. No one could do anything but hope either he stopped or I could move out quickly enough...that would have been a nasty accident.

F*cking dickhead.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Not really a near miss but f&#king annoying all the same.

On the way home from work yesterday and had just come through the crossroads at Airside heading towards Swords. Half way down the hill an empty Swords Express overtakes me and gives me plenty of space. He then throws on the left indicator pulls in on front of me and stops about 10 meters on front of me. I was forced to stop and wait for a break in traffic to go around the bus. As I passed I noticed the driver getting out for a smoke so stopped and asked could he not have pulled in behind me if he was just stopping anyway. Just shrugged his shoulders and had that "couldn't give a bollox pal" look on his face.

Surely it is illegal for their buses to stop there while they wait for their next run?

This sh*t happens all the time. They overtake you just to stop straight after overtaking. WTF..wait three seconds.

45A this morning, overtake was fine but pulled in and slammed on straight away afterwards. So desperate to be in front that he actually missed the bus stop. Would have been quicker to wait behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Kop Idol wrote: »
    Was halfway up the hill when a young teenage girl on a horse came out of a gate on front of me completely oblivious as she was staring down at her phone at the time !
    Was the horse wearing hi-viz and a helmet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

CramCycle wrote: »
    Nothing new though, along time ago now a guy was giving out to me one time as an ambulance had blacked the road for the person lying on the ground with a possible spine injury (thankfully not in the end). Some people = sh1t. This is not a new or isolated phenomenon regretably. EMT asked would I go up and just explain that no traffic could come through. He was too concerned he was going to be late for work. This was clearly far more important than the person lying on the road.

Had one like that many years ago on the N11 north of Kilmacanogue. We were first on the scene and there were two vehicles and at least one person thrown out the window. Directing traffic off the N11 and at least one driver said "sure there's a clear bit, I can go through there"...

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Unusual one...out yesterday with the club, near home so I trailed off on my own to finish off by climbing a local hill. Was halfway up the hill when a young teenage girl on a horse came out of a gate on front of me completely oblivious as she was staring down at her phone at the time ! The horse actually got a bit of a fright which brought her back to reality pretty quick. Wasn't exactly dangerous (apart from possibility of me getting a kick from the horse) but may have been a completely different ending had I been coming down the hill at the time :ermm:

On the horse thing, she 100% should have looked but it would really help if cyclists called ahead. I've lost count of the number of times I've nearly been buried in a ditch because a cyclist "sneaked up" on us at full clip. Not an attack on cyclists but as I rider(I'm both), I'm just trying to let cyclists know what would help :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

elusiveguy wrote: »
    On the horse thing, she 100% should have looked but it would really help if cyclists called ahead.
    in this instance, it doesn't sound like a situation where he was approaching the horse from behind with an opportunity to call out.

On the horse thing, she 100% should have looked but it would really help if cyclists called ahead. I've lost count of the number of times I've nearly been buried in a ditch because a cyclist "sneaked up" on us at full clip. Not an attack on cyclists but as I rider(I'm both), I'm just trying to let cyclists know what would help :o

I gave some poor chap a heart attack last week on way down from viewing point as I arrived beside him and said 'good morning' :pac: Slowed on approach and everything as knew I'd be passing him before a bend.

But if you call ahead, people would have you believe you could spook the horse. In this scenario, the rider was 100% at fault, on her phone on a horse and walking out into traffic without looking, crazy behaviour.

When I come yup behind a horse, I just wait behind patiently until noticed and waved past myself.

in this instance, it doesn't sound like a situation where he was approaching the horse from behind with an opportunity to call out.

No, absolutely doesn't but seemed like a good opening!
    CramCycle wrote: »
    But if you call ahead, people would have you believe you could spook the horse. In this scenario, the rider was 100% at fault, on her phone on a horse and walking out into traffic without looking, crazy behaviour.

When I come yup behind a horse, I just wait behind patiently until noticed and waved past myself.

The horse will have much better hearing than the rider, make some noise WAY back and repeat until rider acknowledges. That's what would be the ideal for me.

Horse will GENERALLY be most weary of the hedges and verges, if they get a spook but aren't sure of the source they can spook away from the verges into whatever is overtaking.

I only mention it as I'm sure most cyclist don't know what's best to do

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife is a horserider too. i've sometimes been banned from cycling up to the side of the arena when they're doing outdoor lessons in case the horse decides i'm some sort of freak and has a spook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A few years ago i was out on my bike. I was very happy with myself because I'd only recently serviced my rear wheel and the freehub was completely silent!
    I came across and horse rider who was in front of me and didn't hear me freewheeling towards the back of the horse. I slowed down and called out "eh hello!", at which point the horse nearly jumped out of its skin with fright!

Lesson learned... My bikes now have the loudest freewheels!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whistle the tune from Kill Bill gently when you're a good way away so you gradually come into eashot.

On the horse thing, she 100% should have looked but it would really help if cyclists called ahead.
    Yup, I was riding up the hill when the girl came out of a gate on my left and rode across my path, continuing down the hill. The horse jumped a bit as it caught sight of me but no real danger, more just commenting on the girl's lack of attention due to her gaze being glued to her phone (its not just car drivers). If I had been descending instead of climbing, it could have come out a lot worse for both of us.
    Appreciate the general tips on approaching horses though, thanks :)

• Advertisement

Horse will GENERALLY be most weary of the hedges and verges, if they get a spook but aren't sure of the source they can spook away from the verges into whatever is overtaking.
    sounds like you guys should be made wear clothing which is highly reflective when out on the roads, and pay a horse tax and insurance too. might even be an idea to tattoo a registration number on the horse's ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

sounds like you guys should be made wear clothing which is highly reflective when out on the roads, and pay a horse tax and insurance too. might even be an idea to tattoo a registration number on the horse's ass.

Hi-vis assless chaps.

Funny you should mention 8-) > UK - Petition Horse owners stables to pay road tax
    Ran for 6 months and only got 8 signatures :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Funny you should mention 8-) > UK - Petition Horse owners stables to pay road tax
    Ran for 6 months and only got 8 signatures :D

Even mentions cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Tight call at the weekend. Was on a fast descent, one I'm reasonably familiar with. The road rises slightly for a few metres resulting in a dip in the road which is in poor conditions with potholes, gravel etc.

Pulled out fairly central on the road to negotiate same. Was doing roughly 60kph, next thing a found a slight dusting to my thigh from a wing mirror. I then brushed off the side of what was a SUV, driven by a lady, who from what I could see was completely unaware of how close she had actually got.

I was with the club, and first down the descent, so i was the last of 6 people she had passed. Quite the scare.

Generally go out something like this.... have on occasion been told we're hard to see

3062-Childrens-Hi-Vis-Safety-Tabard-450x439.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Out of curiosity; what should a cyclist say to let you know of our approach?

Genuine question - I'm never quite sure if there's an expected call. I mean, I could just burst in to a rendition of the theme from Rawhide - Blues Brothers style - but I'm not sure I remember all the words...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

cjt156 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity; what should a cyclist say to let you know of our approach?

Genuine question - I'm never quite sure if there's an expected call. I mean, I could just burst in to a rendition of the theme from Rawhide - Blues Brothers style - but I'm not sure I remember all the words...

Doesn't really matter, its more so for the horses benefit than the rider. The kill bill video might have been a joke but would be ideal :D

Anything at all in a tone that won't lead a flighty prey animal to believe you want to eat it :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

also, i believe the wider the berth you give the horse the better. don't approach directly from behind, give it a better chance of seeing what is making the noise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement