Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On a bike, I generally slow and keep a good distance, waiting for a safe time to overtake. By which time the rider and horse will have noticed me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

CramCycle wrote: »
    On a bike, I generally slow and keep a good distance, waiting for a safe time to overtake. By which time the rider and horse will have noticed me anyway.

If the road is narrow, I'll stop and stand at the verge to allow an oncoming horse to walk by. If I need to pass one in the same direction I'll get the rider's attention and wait for them to inform/guide the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Any of those are perfect lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Just approach quietly and whisper in the horses ear as you go by.

Either that or give a massive lash to a gong just as you are passing.

My father is an avid cyclist. Years ago, he was just about to set off on a cycle as I returned from a hack on an old horse we had. He was spouting off about how dangerous horse riding was. He promptly fell off the bike and injured his elbow right in front of me. Silly bollocks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I am constantly bewildered on group spins by how others think it's ok to approach horses. Slow the fup down, hang back and make a noise way out. I wait until the rider makes a sign it's ok to pass before I go by.
    Many a time in my youth was spent going sideways as a car/motorbike decided to fly up to/past me on a horse. Bit of understanding goes a long way.
    Didn't have hi-viz back then either, it's a wonder I survived :D I think it was coming in in the UK though.

• Advertisement

also, i believe the wider the berth you give the horse the better. don't approach directly from behind, give it a better chance of seeing what is making the noise.

This is right. Horses can't see directly behind them (or in front). You also don't want to be there when they get a fright at ya! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

nee wrote: »
    I am constantly bewildered on group spins by how others think it's ok to approach horses. Slow the fup down, hang back and make a noise way out. I wait until the rider makes a sign it's ok to pass before I go by.
    Many a time in my youth was spent going sideways as a car/motorbike decided to fly up to/past me on a horse. Bit of understanding goes a long way.
    Didn't have hi-viz back then either, it's a wonder I survived :D I think it was coming in in the UK though.

tbh I think you've partly answered your own query there. I've never spent any time around horses and have little to no experience of encountering them on the road, hence I have no idea about their behaviour or what could / would spook them.
    as a result I've found the last couple of pages very informative and it will certainly cause me to be far more cautious the next time I encounter a horse on the road.

my wife is a horserider too. i've sometimes been banned from cycling up to the side of the arena when they're doing outdoor lessons in case the horse decides i'm some sort of freak and has a spook.

It's interesting, horses are afraid of things that are new or foreign to their environment, but ok with things that are usually there.
    For example, if they live in a field beside a train line, or near planes they get used to it and are ok with it, where as as a human you might startle yourself.
    They do however also find new things to spook at on hacks and roads they have been down a thousand times/anywhere. They're very creative that way.

tbh I think you've partly answered your own query there. I've never spent any time around horses and have little to no experience of encountering them on the road, hence I have no idea about their behaviour or what could / would spook them.
    as a result I've found the last couple of pages very informative and it will certainly cause me to be far more cautious the next time I encounter a horse on the road.

Makes total sense. We had a thread before from a rider giving advice to cyclists. It's good that it comes up regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Its even more interesting when you start to train them and you realise that something that's TERRIFYING to walk past can be perfectly acceptable when approached to jump.

In terms of approaching them on the road, a new piece of rubbish or a new hole in hedge can be reason enough to leap to the centre of the road

The reason I brought it up is that I thought any issues I'd had were a result of people not knowing any better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nee wrote: »
    It's interesting, horses are afraid of things that are new or foreign to their environment, but ok with things that are usually there.
    For example, if they live in a field beside a train line, or near planes they get used to it and are ok with it, where as as a human you might startle yourself.
    They do however also find new things to spook at on hacks and roads they have been down a thousand times/anywhere. They're very creative that way.
    if you've not read 'animals in translation' by temple grandin, consider it recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

if you've not read 'animals in translation' by temple grandin, consider it recommended.

Does the film suffice?

Not a near miss, nor did it involve me. Walking down Lower Gardiner Street yesterday, some guy face planted himself onto the road. Smashed his face right off it. His hands were in ribbons too. I called an ambulance for him, he seemed to be sort of conscious.

The armed Gardai came on the scene and they gave him first aid.

I didn't see it, just heard it across from me and saw him sprawled out. Looks like he got flipped right out over the handlebars. No helmet on him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No other person or vehicle involved?

No other person or vehicle involved?

Not that i can make out. There were three guys standing over him when i went across. None of them had rang an ambulance. :rolleyes:

I just heard the wallop. I suspect he might have pulled his front brakes and flipped himself out over. His face was swelling out, a lot of blood in his beard and around his neck. His hands were in ribbons too.

He came around eventually, told the Garda he was Brazilian. He was doing feck all moving. Got a serious rattle.

To the fair to the gardai, they had a first aid kit and started on him patching him up straight away.

Frightening how it happens so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I didn't see it, just heard it across from me and saw him sprawled out. Looks like he got flipped right out over the handlebars. No helmet on him.
    Wouldn't help with a faceplant unfortunately. Been there, done that, got the stitches.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Wouldn't help with a faceplant unfortunately. Been there, done that, got the stitches.

Yeah, i dunno. My auld lad did something similar years ago with no helmet. He came off and hit his forehead. Got knocked straight out. He basically slid on his face along the road. Broke his nose and front teeth. His face was a full friction burn.

He was concussed for over 12 hours as well.

Wouldn't have happened if he had the helmet on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yeah, i dunno. My auld lad did something similar years ago with no helmet. He came off and hit his forehead. Got knocked straight out. He basically slid on his face along the road. Broke his nose and front teeth. His face was a full friction burn.

He was concussed for over 12 hours as well.

Wouldn't have happened if he had the helmet on.
    It's impossible to say really. Might have helped with the concussion but I'm unsure about the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,975 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Would that be similar to how Ashbourne Connect often have a coach or double-decker parked on the double-yellows outside Treasury Building on Grand Canal St during evening rush hour?

447597.png

So it turns out that there IS an official bus stop at Treasury Building for yonks, for the Ashbourne 194 route. And it is double-yellow lines all the way along, with no 'bus stop' markings and no bus stop sign.

Did somebody forget something?

https://goo.gl/maps/pNm7KFXpxCR2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's impossible to say really. Might have helped with the concussion but I'm unsure about the face.

Would it in fact not be the other way round.

Isnt concussion caused by the brain basically banging around/shaking violently in the skull. So with or without a helmet the head is moving at the same speed.

Helmet would help with blunt trauma and other impact injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Weepsie wrote: »
    Would it in fact not be the other way round.

Isnt concussion caused by the brain basically banging around/shaking violently in the skull. So with or without a helmet the head is moving at the same speed.

Helmet would help with blunt trauma and other impact injuries.

Clarification: Concussion is thought to be caused by torsion in the centre of the brain not the brain impacting the skull. So hits the spin your head are worst (Rugby, American Football anyone).

Helmets are rated to protect against skull fractures. Nothing else.

Attempted left hook last night, going straight through, guy not paying attention nipping up the bus lane going 90 slowed right beside me and I just new he hadn't noticed anything. Weird split second call where I knew hauling the brakes would have meant I crashed, so I just let roar as he turned across. I skimmed through going left to avoid the car and right to avoid the traffic island, and just made it out unscathed as the driver stopped.

No idea how.

Taxi driver who pulled up after the other car drove off had that look on his face of, thank f*ck, not sure I could deal with seeing you splattered across the junction.

I just stood there, not sure if I was even annoyed, not sure if I care anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Attempted left hook last night, going straight through, guy not paying attention nipping up the bus lane going 90 slowed right beside me and I just new he hadn't noticed anything. Weird split second call where I knew hauling the brakes would have meant I crashed, so I just let roar as he turned across. I skimmed through going left to avoid the car and right to avoid the traffic island, and just made it out unscathed as the driver stopped.

No idea how.

Taxi driver who pulled up after the other car drove off had that look on his face of, thank f*ck, not sure I could deal with seeing you splattered across the junction.

I just stood there, not sure if I was even annoyed, not sure if I care anymore.

You seen the light but made it out! A lot of plonkers driving these roads! I had a Dublin Bus pass me last night or Wednesday and then immediately drop anchor to let off a passenger. Needless to say I had to take evasive action. I pulled along side, tapped the drivers window and said “that was a stupid and igrorant thing to do. You could have and should have waited” The driver started to say “I indicat...” and I said “I am not staying here to listen to you try to explain your ignorance” and cycled off.

Really nice cycle nearly the whole way in this morning. There were a few DBs within a minute of each other and we seemed to be playing a game but it was all very nice, with the 145 slowing, letting me out, and me repaying the favour and waving thank you. Sun was shining. One shock when Finnegans of Bray laid on the horn for a car that went into the bus lane. I was just in front and it caught me off guard but all in all, lovely. That is until I get to the turn for "The Rise", the one left before the turn for Fosters Ave. I always take the lane here, like alot of other cyclist as if you stay in the cycle lane, you disappear out of the viewing area of many drivers at Fosters Avenue. The turn always has a few cars waiting so you never slow traffic, in fact, you probably speed it up by doing this as other cars are not panicking if they can turn or not (they could look over their shoulder but lets not push the boat out here). So as I wait, Blue Minibus man revs is his engine. I thought that he thought the light was about to change and just sort of revved and clutched when it didn't. As we took off though, he rolled right upto my rear wheel and started clutching and revving. I looked behind to see a man about to sh1t himself with rage, swinging his arms wildly towards the bike lane, roaring to get over. I stopped and turned around (traffic in front anyway) and asked what he wanted me to do, he drove the bus at me and slammed on. I was about to lose my sanity when I seen five faces of innocence pop their heads above the seat to look out and see what is happening. I waved my hand and cycled on. back on the bike lane a minute later, I next see the bus almost a km down the road. There is no traffic, so that's how long he was stuck back there. The last I see of him he is beeping at another cyclist that he swings in at and then he swings back into the main traffic on the N11. What is wrong with people, I really despair. Nearly every other bus driver at this junction knows what you are doing, many wave, slow down or in some way facilitate it as they see the benefit, even if only slight.

Report that lad to the Gardai straight away. That sounds like he is recklessly endangering road users and his passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

within about 300m this morning I had 2 people separately overtake me only for both to immediately indicate and pull in. the first was trying to park, second turning left at a junction. in both cases after indicating and commencing their turns they then stopped to wait for me to go up the inside through the tiny gaps they had left.
    i politely declined and cycled around the outside of both, in both cases the drivers looked confused and I could tell from their reactions that they thought they hadn't done anything wrong. the second one had her window open so I said in a normal tone "please just wait the 2 seconds you just lost anyway"...again with the blank look...

Report that lad to the Gardai straight away. That sounds like he is recklessly endangering road users and his passengers.

Camera turned off on me due to dead battery and I didn't get as reg plate. I think I know what school he was dropping too (well one of two) but unless I see him again, not much I can do. If I get the reg another morning, I might try and let the school know about the language and behaviour in front of their students.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Saw a guy come off the bike on kevin street this morning.

Young lad stepped off the path and the guy on the fixie in front of me jammed on to stop, went straight over the handlebars landing at this lads feet and hitting the deck hard as he was still clipped in.

Crowd of people around to help him up, at this point i realised the lad who walked out in front of him had simply walked away, not even bothering to check if the faller was ok.

Terrible to see,should have just ploughed on through him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

long time lurker first time poster.

i was coming along the bike lane from terenure juntion heading towards rathgar when a commercial van turns left while still rolling half way into the bike lane towards aldi without indicating as I was level at side door. only for me going a pace and a general left propulsion of body and rear wheel (an actual massive shift i did lucky to hold without hitting the footpath), did I miss getting creased.

not so much as a wave of apology as the penny dropped that there may be cyclists approaching on his inside. closest call in traffic on the bike in 11 months of commuting into the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I looked behind to see a man about to sh1t himself with rage,

:D I have to borrow that phrase some time :D

This morning I have a big artic turn across me, he was turning right across the lanes in the opposite direction on the old Airport road. I reckon he thought that because there were no cars he can handle one squishy cyclist. That or he didn't appreciate that bike can go faster than 5kph.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement