Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Not the nearest but closer than it appears and then breezes through a red light. He then ended up stuck in traffic 250m up the road :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had a run in with the Bus Eireann coach heading for Limerick on the south quays earlier. Kudos for him not letting a pesky cyclists delay him on his journey.

Heading down the south quays, taking the lane in the bus / cycle lane and going straight on. The stretch leading up to the turn off left for the hill where the brazen head pub is. Conscious of a coach behind me.

Numb nuts decides to overtake me, then squeeze in left in front of me. I had to brake hard to avoid being hit. All this to roll up to a red light.

It’s a long time since I challenged a bus driver, but this guys total disregard for me an another cyclist who was treated similar required further investigation.

“Did you not see me? I’ve a huge strobe on the back. You overtook me and cut in left in front of me, nearly hit me”

“Yeah, I can’t see cyclists when they’re on my left. You were cycling up the inside of me”. Slid his window shut. I have it all on camera.

It’s hard to know where to start with some one like that. Are the geneuinely stupid? Or just don’t care? Or hate their job? Or hate me? And why are they in command of a 25 tonne vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Are the geneuinely stupid?..And why are they in command of a 25 tonne vehicle?

Smart people don't apply to be bus drivers.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Not the nearest but closer than it appears and then breezes through a red light. He then ended up stuck in traffic 250m up the road :rolleyes:

That’s shocking driving. The speed of him too - totally irresponsible and dangerous. And for what?
    I would be showing that to the Garda just to the right! A bloke near me has a similar van. No NCT, No Insurance and to cap it all, an expired tax disc from a different vehicle (!) and he drives like that nutter too. You would be unlucky to be stopped these days for a traffic violation!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

ED E wrote: »

That's just not true

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »
    That's just not true

It’s more true than it’s false. So many of them don’t seem to realise they are driving a large vehicle rather than a go cart and also forget that they are responsible for the safe transport of their passengers...

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    It’s more true than it’s false. So many of them don’t seem to realise they are driving a large vehicle rather than a go cart and also forget that they are responsible for the safe transport of their passengers...

No, nope it's a lot more false than it's true. I know several bus drivers, none of them intellectually challenged.
    On my day to day cycles buses form a tiny minority of the incidents I experience. Going by the metric described above every motorist is intellectually deficient, as most of the incidents I experience are with regular cars.

There are stupid cyclists. There are stupid motorcycle riders. There are stupid car drivers. There are stupid bus drivers. There are stupid HGV drivers. There are stupid tractor drivers. They do not define the whole of their respective modes of transport.

Attitudes like that are really antagonistic. Being pissed off at a dangerous interaction with a car/bus/moto/tractor/hgv driver is entirely understandable and I frequently feel it myself. Judging all drivers of these modes of transport as less intelligent is dehumanising and only others every other road user, which is pointlessly divisive and just ignorant.

There's no need. There are good and bad in every vehicle on the road. they do not define the whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

ED E wrote: »

A totally unnecessary and blatantly untrue generalisation. Completely uncalled for

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

That’s shocking driving. The speed of him too - totally irresponsible and dangerous. And for what?
    I would be showing that to the Garda just to the right! A bloke near me has a similar van. No NCT, No Insurance and to cap it all, an expired tax disc from a different vehicle (!) and he drives like that nutter too. You would be unlucky to be stopped these days for a traffic violation!

Did the guards do anything when you reported this guy?

No, nope it's a lot more false than it's true. I know several bus drivers, none of them intellectually challenged.
    On my day to day cycles buses form a tiny minority of the incidents I experience. Going by the metric described above every motorist is intellectually deficient, as most of the incidents I experience are with regular cars.

There are stupid cyclists. There are stupid motorcycle riders. There are stupid car drivers. There are stupid bus drivers. There are stupid HGV drivers. There are stupid tractor drivers. They do not define the whole of their respective modes of transport.

Attitudes like that are really antagonistic. Being pissed off at a dangerous interaction with a car/bus/moto/tractor/hgv driver is entirely understandable and I frequently feel it myself. Judging all drivers of these modes of transport as less intelligent is dehumanising and only others every other road user, which is pointlessly divisive and just ignorant.

There's no need. There are good and bad in every vehicle on the road. they do not define the whole.

It takes a certain degree of stupidity and outright recklessness to put your passengers (customers) in danger. As a bus driver you have no right to do that. You are supposed to be professional. No professional in any other walk of life would be allowed to treat customers like that. They can and do get sued for misconduct etc. Bus drivers don’t think they are responsible for lives but they are. It’s their job. The same way a Dr is responsible (though differing codes of practice apply)

All the other examples of stupidity are quite valid, but they do so generally as social domestic and pleasure road users, so a lower standard of competency can apply. It’s not their job to ferry people around for monetary reward.

I see lots of bus drivers, such is their road awareness and respect that they really should not be driving any vehicle. They drive like idiots and lots of idiots are also stupid.

Let’s just end by saying you have your view and I have mine.

• Advertisement

Did the guards do anything when you reported this guy?

What’s the reason for asking? I never said I reported him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

You know the type of people. Always right. Never wrong. They cycle, drive cars, buses and have legs. Some people are just ignorant. I try as much to laugh it off.

We all make mistakes, it's knowing when your wrong. Admitting it, saying sorry and get on with your life. Some people just cannot do this, and lose the run of themselves. As we hear and see, buses HGV driving violently at cyclists. Bus drivers blinding and effing in front of passengers. Car drivers forgetting cyclists do have licences to drive and understand the rules and laws on driving.

And drivers to each other it's hilarious. Beeping and going mental only to get caught in traffic or a red light. Everyone just needs to chill out.

It takes a certain degree of stupidity and outright recklessness to put your passengers (customers) in danger. As a bus driver you have no right to do that. You are supposed to be professional. No professional in any other walk of life would be allowed to treat customers like that. They can and do get sued for misconduct etc. Bus drivers don’t think they are responsible for lives but they are. It’s their job. The same way a Dr is responsible (though differing codes of practice apply)

All the other examples of stupidity are quite valid, but they do so generally as social domestic and pleasure road users, so a lower standard of competency can apply. It’s not their job to ferry people around for monetary reward.

I see lots of bus drivers, such is their road awareness and respect that they really should not be driving any vehicle. They drive like idiots and lots of idiots are also stupid.

Let’s just end by saying you have your view and I have mine.

All dangerous road users endanger other road users. There isn't a hierarchy of victims in that scenario.

There is no one mode of transport proliferated by more 'stupid' people than any other. They're all as good and bad as each other. Any other belief is just prejudice.

We'll have to agree to disagree on it.

I'm equally irritated and endangered by them all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

All dangerous road users endanger other road users. There isn't a hierarchy of victims in that scenario.

There is no one mode of transport proliferated by more 'stupid' people than any other. They're all as good and bad as each other. Any other belief is just prejudice.

We'll have to agree to disagree on it.

I'm equally irritated and endangered by them all :pac:

I'd like to disagree and offer "The Dublin Taxi Driver" as evidence.:P

Felexicon wrote: »
    I'd like to disagree and offer "The Dublin Taxi Driver" as evidence.:P

Nope !

I was only thinking yesterday the reason it feels like there are more incidents with taxis as one close passed me Is because of proximity more than anything else. Incidents with cars increase for me just after 7pm and of a Sunday when normal cars are in the bus lanes, taxis are in with/ beside us there all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Nope !

I was only thinking yesterday the reason it feels like there are more incidents with taxis as one close passed me Is because of proximity more than anything else. Incidents with cars increase for me just after 7pm and of a Sunday when normal cars are in the bus lanes, taxis are in with/ beside us there all the time.

while I've had my share of issues with taxi drivers, I fully subscribe to the view that private cars using the bus lanes are more of a danger. particularly when they use them when the lanes are operational - ie during rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

while I've had my share of issues with taxi drivers, I fully subscribe to the view that private cars using the bus lanes are more of a danger. particularly when they use them when the lanes are operational - ie during rush hour.

There are hours when private cars are not allowed in the bus lanes.

Do motorists know theses rules????:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Nope !

It was a joke.

Felexicon wrote: »
    It was a joke.

Doh!

Doh!

Double ‘Doh’

When is comedy hour over – 7pm ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Driver on her mobile phone started slowly veering into cycle path this morning around KCR. I saw her from far out. I pulled up behind her, she spotted me in her mirror and pulled out again.

I think people pay a lot less attention when they are in slow traffic. I thought she was going to slowly hit the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Heading home yesterday on the R122 after a club spin when a truck close-passed me at speed. There were a couple of cars coming the other way and, rather than slowing, he decided to squeeze through the gap. I've had closer passes but not at 60+kph.

Caught up with him at the lights at Charlestown and explained in reasonable terms what he had done. There was a pause as he contemplated his response before he invited me to go f**k myself. On the basis that this guy urgently needed some re-education, I went to take a photo of his reg plate. In an attempt to prevent this, he edged forward until he was well into the junction despite the red light and crossing traffic. When I got the photo the driver got out of the cab, pushed a phone in my face and told me he could take photos too and that if he ever saw me again he would kick the bo**ix out of me. I headed to Finglas Garda Station.

The Garda there was very helpful and set out the options. I could either make a statement with a view to a possible prosecution or give her the details so that she could call him in for a warning. Without video evidence or a witness I reckoned the former was unlikely to happen so she took all the details and promised to let me know how things went. As the lorry had a big company website address painted on it I was able to send them a full report of what had happened once I got home.

I await developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Heading home yesterday on the R122 after a club spin when a truck close-passed me at speed. There were a couple of cars coming the other way and, rather than slowing, he decided to squeeze through the gap. I've had closer passes but not at 60+kph.

Caught up with him at the lights at Charlestown and explained in reasonable terms what he had done. There was a pause as he contemplated his response before he invited me to go f**k myself. On the basis that this guy urgently needed some re-education, I went to take a photo of his reg plate. In an attempt to prevent this, he edged forward until he was well into the junction despite the red light and crossing traffic. When I got the photo the driver got out of the cab, pushed a phone in my face and told me he could take photos too and that if he ever saw me again he would kick the bo**ix out of me. I headed to Finglas Garda Station.

The Garda there was very helpful and set out the options. I could either make a statement with a view to a possible prosecution or give her the details so that she could call him in for a warning. Without video evidence or a witness I reckoned the former was unlikely to happen so she took all the details and promised to let me know how things went. As the lorry had a big company website address painted on it I was able to send them a full report of what had happened once I got home.

I await developments.

I had a nearly identical issue recently, with the addition of a poorly delivered punch to my head for daring to photo the reg of a lunatic driver who quite literally tried to run me off the road. We'll see where it goes with the Garda. I had no camera on at the time and that will never happen again.

I used to try to police what was going on around me - tell people to get off their phones, shout and gesticulate if someone was doing something crazy but I've realised that it's a loosing battle. The amount of bad driving and sheer aggression towards cyclists out there is terrifying. I would love to not have to commute via bike but it's the only practical option at the moment.

Everyone is on their phone. There are no police about, no checkpoints and zero enforcement of traffic rules. It's essentially a free for all and people will only go as far as they are let, and in this case that's all the way.

Watch yourselves out there. Get a camera. Get home safe and don't bother trying to be a policeman - the Garda themselves are getting paid to do this and even they aren't bothered. While it may chafe to ignore what's going on and let people away with it so to speak, it chafes more to be knocked down, punched, sworn at, threatened and run off the road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cyclist down @ RTE towards UCD.

Wife is on the bus but says it looks serious with a lot of blood on the ground and lots of emergency services at the scene :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Paradicia

Does anyone find people who cycle slowly to be more dangerous than people cycling fast -- especially in bike lanes. If someone is going as slow as you can jog or walk, I find that to be really dangerous as it causes people to push out onto the street where cars are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Paradicia wrote: »
    Does anyone find people who cycle slowly to be more dangerous than people cycling fast -- especially in bike lanes. If someone is going as slow as you can jog or walk, I find that to be really dangerous as it causes people to push out onto the street where cars are.
    This often comes up in the motors forum when talking about slow drivers. The danger comes from a careless overtake of the slower person normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Paradicia wrote: »

If I come up behind a slow moving cyclist then I wait until it is safe to pass before passing.

The slow moving cyclist doesn't push others out into the road, the individual cyclist decides to do this.

Sounds similar to the oft heard motorist saying the cyclist made them overtake dangerously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cyclist down @ RTE towards UCD.

Wife is on the bus but says it looks serious with a lot of blood on the ground and lots of emergency services at the scene :(
    Cyclist seriously injured in Dublin crash
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0418/955509-dublin-cyclist/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I always get even more concerned when I read that the scene has been sealed off. fingers crossed for this man.

• Advertisement

Truck involved according to the RTE piece :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement