Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

I cycle to work 4 days a week......except on Wednesdays. Go through that junction heading into town on my way home.

Seriously hope he's ok.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Caught up with him at the lights at Charlestown and explained in reasonable terms what he had done. There was a pause as he contemplated his response before he invited me to go f**k myself.
    Been in similar situations myself a few times. Best option is to be completely non-confrontational and follow some or all of the following steps:
    • Photograph the number plate and insurance details on the passenger side
    • Move back the vehicle and knock politely on the passenger window - approaching on the driver side could get you a door in the face, plus it's less intimidating for the driver anyway.
    • Explain politely that you were almost run over, pushed off the road, etc, etc - some people will admit driving badly immediately and apologize in which case, just thank them for their honesty, wish them a safe journey and get on with your day.
    • If they bollock you, attempt to drive off over you, then explain that you'll be in touch with the police, see if you can take a picture of the driver but from a safe location.
    • Look around to see if there are security cameras and photo them if there are, also any witnesses.
    • When there, describe the incident carefully, with photos and presence of security cameras, witnesses etc.
    • The cops will give you the options above - either prosecute in which case it's your word against theirs, or request that they get in touch with the driver and ask them to apologize on the understanding that you reserve the right to prosecute if they do not. Most should be happy with that.
    I've found the police helpful with the above and, so far, all drivers have apologized (perhaps six or eight at this point over the last few years). Main thing is to be friendly, non-confrontational, smile as much as possible, even if you're shaking all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

robindch wrote: »
    Been in similar situations myself a few times. Best option is to be completely non-confrontational and follow some or all of the following steps:
    • Photograph the number plate and insurance details on the passenger side
    • Move back the vehicle and knock politely on the passenger window - approaching on the driver side could get you a door in the face, plus it's less intimidating for the driver anyway.
    • Explain politely that you were almost run over, pushed off the road, etc, etc - some people will admit driving badly immediately and apologize in which case, just thank them for their honesty, wish them a safe journey and get on with your day.
    • If they bollock you, attempt to drive off over you, then explain that you'll be in touch with the police, see if you can take a picture of the driver but from a safe location.
    • Look around to see if there are security cameras and photo them if there are, also any witnesses.
    • When there, describe the incident carefully, with photos and presence of security cameras, witnesses etc.
    • The cops will give you the options above - either prosecute in which case it's your word against theirs, or request that they get in touch with the driver and ask them to apologize on the understanding that you reserve the right to prosecute if they do not. Most should be happy with that.
    I've found the police helpful with the above and, so far, all drivers have apologized (perhaps six or eight at this point over the last few years). Main thing is to be friendly, non-confrontational, smile as much as possible, even if you're shaking all over.

Get a cycle cam, after one close pass I called the owner of the haulage firm and directed him to the youtube link.

A few minutes later I got a phone call with an apology and a plan of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Paradicia wrote: »
    Does anyone find people who cycle slowly to be more dangerous than people cycling fast -- especially in bike lanes. If someone is going as slow as you can jog or walk, I find that to be really dangerous as it causes people to push out onto the street where cars are.

I’d consider myself a pretty fast cyclist, I’d pass a fair amount of other cyclists on my commute, some very slow at a jogging pace. Having a small handlebar mirror helps, or recognising their speed from a distance so you’ve more time to signal and move out.

To be fair, as cyclists we hit very little traffic and our commutes are almost identical in time each day bar a few factors like wind, rain, etc. Depending on lights, my commute is within the 26-27 minute range 99% of the time. Slowing down for a couple of cyclists is nothing in the grand scheme of things, considering a bus or car commute varies wildly day by day. My wife’s commute by car is the almost the same route and can be anything from 40 mins to 1.5hrs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Cyclist down @ RTE towards UCD.

Wife is on the bus but says it looks serious with a lot of blood on the ground and lots of emergency services at the scene :(

Fcuk. Hope they're ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,976 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Chiparus wrote: »
    Get a cycle cam, after one close pass I called the owner of the haulage firm and directed him to the youtube link.

A few minutes later I got a phone call with an apology and a plan of action.
    I got two positive responses from businesses in the last 24 hours, one about a driver on the phone, and one about a truck parked in a bike lane.

It is well worth following up with video footage.
    Cyclist down @ RTE towards UCD.

Wife is on the bus but says it looks serious with a lot of blood on the ground and lots of emergency services at the scene :(
    micar wrote: »
    I cycle to work 4 days a week......except on Wednesdays. Go through that junction heading into town on my way home.

Seriously hope he's ok.
    Citizen W0lf regularly publishes video of drivers breaking red lights at that junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

nee wrote: »
    Fcuk. Hope they're ok

Unfortunately he has passed away.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0418/955509-dublin-cyclist/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

RIP. Very sad news to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

RIP poor young man.

Horrific. R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

Isn't it amazing how all these 'near misses' so rarely translate into actual road deaths, whereas by comparison, motorists actually kill three or four people on the road each week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

ah man, RIP to the cyclist, my wife said it was a very grim scene at the time :(:(

Panjandrums please familiarise yourself with the charter before posting again, particularly rule 8 before posting in here again.
    Any questions PM me do not respond in thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

See the cyclist has unfortunately died. RIP. 19 years old, way to young to go. Terrible situation for all.

What is toll so far on road deaths for the year?

Do you think that maybe we should be focusing our analysis on the actual hits rather than the near misses? Which is your priority?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's what this thread is about. Near misses with large, heavy, fast, ungainly vehicles. Look at the videos, some of them are simply shocking. Analyse them. Your anecdotes are perceived near misses with light, manoeuvrable bicycles.

Truly shocking news for that young man and his family in Dublin today. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Paradicia wrote: »
    Does anyone find people who cycle slowly to be more dangerous than people cycling fast -- especially in bike lanes. If someone is going as slow as you can jog or walk, I find that to be really dangerous as it causes people to push out onto the street where cars are.

It’s not dangerous. They are free to cycle at any speed. The onus/responsibility is on the overtaking cyclist to do so safely. If it’s not safe, you wait. Same as driving a car. What’s the hurry that a few seconds waiting matters so much?

Alternatively, get off your bike, and walk/jog on the pavement until you pass them and rejoin the lane ahead. No cars on the pavements. I say that tounge in cheek as they are unlikely to be cycling at 6-8kph (avg walking and jogging pace)

Does he post videos of cyclists going through lights aswell?

Witnessed three close calls this week.
    Cyclist mounted the footpath, hitting his handlebar against a pole in the process, lost balance and narrowly missing a pedestrian.

Cyclist ignores a red light on the quays at O Connell bridge,brushing a pedestrian crossing the road, luckily for the cyclist he regains control.

Cyclist runs red light when crossing from Liberty Hall to Custom House Quay, narrowly missing a bus coming from Tara Street, mounted the footpath. He got an ear full of the air horn.

Somebody on a bicycle was killed at that junction today. Please show a bit more respect.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well the actual outcomes are what lead to stats and should influence decisions rather than emotive anecdotes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You are correct in regards small enclosed populations. Population stats over 20 years though imply that while an annoyance, cyclists are not a threat to life.

And in no way was I implying that cyclists who do act the maggot should be ignored. I for one want them hammered by the gardai. While they pose little risk to those they come near to, they do pose an unquantifiable risk to every other cyclist as tjwu incite hatred.

Targeting limited public funds against a group who have not been seen to cause any harm is reckless when those funds could be used elsewhere.

My comment was a general comment as apposed to directly refering to that specific junction.
    We should not be speculating as to what was the cause of the incident at that junction.

I am not in the slightest bit speculating. Maybe you don’t get how inappropriate it is to then make general comment about cyclists passing red lights when replying to a post that references the site of a fatal incident ?

You come across as not having a clue about what cyclists encounter every single day while obeying the rules of the road. It’s totally shocking and getting worse. I had a motorist nearly drive though me from behind this evening and when I asked he what it was alll about she said they had the right of way. So it’s my fault she has no clue about the rules of the road and that she thinks it’s ok to run someone over if you have the right of way?
    This thread is about, cyclists near misses with motor vehicles that are driven by: ( take your pick) selfish, stupid, arrogant, dangerous, stressed, bored, impatient, aggressive – drivers. One near miss today can be tomorrow’s incident. Analysise that if you wish. The reports here speak volumes for the reality on our roads.
    To conclude, nobody here is going to support or defend cyclists running red lights – it gives us all a bad name and it’s a fools game. If you want to make that point go to the motoring thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Law of averages would suggest that at some point a cyclist is going to have a collision with a pedestrian. Here you are saying they are 'caused' by the cyclist rather than considering that perhaps the pedestrian may attribute some of the blame. The cyclist death in the phoenix park for example a couple of years ago where the pedestrian was on the cycle lane. Now none of us know what happened there, but I would feel safe to assume that the pedestrian attributes some blame here.

I would disagree that the 'vast majority' of drivers are safe. There is far more bad/dangerous/selfish driving out there. I think a lot of people just don't see just how bad it actually is. Perhaps as someone who cycles I'm more aware of it when in the car and notice if more. It's a real bugbear of mine when people put it all down as if it is all equal when talking about 'bad' road users. You only have to look at the huge number of dashcam videos that get posted on youtube and on the motors forum. There is a reason the majority of the vehicles in these are cars and vans rather than bikes and that reason isn't averages/because there are more motor vehicles than pedal cycles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A colleague of mine used to work in the same company as the mother of another cyclist who was killed on the roads this year, he only found out in the last week or so about the death and how it happened etc when talking to an old colleague of his. Apparently the driver of the vehicle had a heart attack the following day when he found out that the cyclist had died and driver passed away himself. We can sometimes forget in here the human side of the person driving the vehicle.

• Advertisement

That is incorrect, they're has been several deaths and serious accidents caused by cyclists in Ireland and the UK.
    A bicycle however simple is still dangerous.

If targeting a particular group saves lives so be it. The vast majority of cyclists are safe but then so are drivers, but there's always going to be a few bad apples. People take more notice of bad cyclist because they are in the minority.

There has been zero pedestrian deaths caused by cyclists in Ireland in the last 15 years. What serious incidents in Ireland are you referring to?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement