Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That is incorrect, they're has been several deaths and serious accidents caused by cyclists in Ireland and the UK.
    A bicycle however simple is still dangerous.

If targeting a particular group saves lives so be it. The vast majority of cyclists are safe but then so are drivers, but there's always going to be a few bad apples. People take more notice of bad cyclist because they are in the minority.

There has been one death attributed to a cyclist in the last 20 years.
    Motor vehicles have killed over 4300 people in the same period, maimed and seriously injured several thousands more.
    To compare the deadly- ness of motor vehicles to cyclists is laughable at best.

I also struggle to see what the point of your argument has to do with the topic of this thread - which is about the near misses cyclists experience.
    Yes there certainly are dangerous cyclists out there, if you spend a bit of time with the stats you'll see they're a danger to themselves. I do not know nor have I ever seen a cyclist crash into the back of a car to prove a point. I'd suggest you spend a bit of time on a bike in traffic to see how ridiculous this is as a proposition.
    Are there cyclists out there that lack self preservation? Certainly. They make up a tiny minority of us out there. They can be found across all forms of transport, the difference being they they are, and have been proven to be far, far, far more dangerous in a motor vehicle than a bike.

Again, this thread is about cyclists sharing their experiences on the road. A quick search will bring up several threads on the 'But cyclists are dangerous and do x,y and z' with all the attendant stats to enlighten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

To get back to what cyclists face each day, no idea of the leadup to this, but here's a lovely bus driver that doesnt want to be photographed

https://twitter.com/teamittens/status/986644469213749249

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

To get back to what cyclists face each day, no idea of the leadup to this, but here's a lovely bus driver that doesnt want to be photographed

https://twitter.com/teamittens/status/986644469213749249

First time I've seen a Dublin bus driver actually notice a cyclist.:P

Slap on the wrist and more training for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

You are speculating that the incident today had something to do with a red light. I did not purposely reference that junction, it was an oversight. I apologize if you are offended.

If she had a right of way, can the blame really be fully put on the driver? Could you done something different to minimise the conflict?

I know some cyclists that would perfer to run into the back/side of a car to prove their point rather than avoiding a collision at all costs.

Sorry, you mentioned red lights, not me.

The vehicle yesterday came from behind me. I will put that another way so you understand it. I was ahead of them. They had no right of way. She barged through almost under my armpit. I had to get out of the way or I was going to be hit. So my awareness and self-preservation saved me here. I don’t go looking to hit cars to prove a point. It’s a moot point if you end up dead.

I hope I never encounter you when I am out cycling, driving or walking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Thankfully for the bus driver the twitter guy does not seem to want to push charges, unless the cyclist tried to hit him first (window closed so doubtful), that looks like assault. I know it is a stressful job but you simply cannot behave like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Tombo2001 wrote: »

My experience of dublin bus drivers is pretty good actually . They have a tough job to do.

The hop on hop off bus drivers though are horrendous

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably as good a place as any to put this:

https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/986870765038505984

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Haven’t had a near miss in a long time as my commute is fairly safe and just 5k. But some arsewipe on Leinster road decided to close pass me on the bend coming down towards Rathmines and the lights. So close that I hit the back of the car two Wallops to alert him. Caught him at the lights obviously! Long story short in his mind he decided I was too far out (I was a car doors width) so that excuses him essentially trying to run me over. Similar to the posters experience above about the right of way. Still fuming here.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

There was a cyclist injured on the North Quays this morning sometime before 8:30 am. Ambulance and guards at the scene. Looks like she was hit by a Kavanaghs Bus. Thankfully the cyclist was conscious sitting on the footpath. It looked as if her arm was hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

treade1 wrote: »
    There was a cyclist injured on the North Quays this morning sometime before 8:30 am. Ambulance and guards at the scene. Looks like she was hit by a Kavanaghs Bus. Thankfully the cyclist was conscious sitting on the footpath. It looked as if her arm was hurt.

I passed her too before the ambulance got there, she had plenty of people with her though. Yes there was a Kavanaghs bus stopped but impossible for us to say what happened. I hate that stretch of road because some buses fly along in the bus lane only inches from you thinking it's okay because there's a dotted line dividing the cycle lane from the bus lane, if you've to swerve out for any reason you'd be done for - not saying that's what happened here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

The cyclelane at that point is in bad condition. It is possible she swerved out to avoid a hole in the road. It is also possible that the bus started pulling into the bus stop and didn't see her. It is bedlam trying to get down the North Quays every morning. The new layout is of no use to cyclists until you pass the pinch point.

Haven’t had a near miss in a long time as my commute is fairly safe and just 5k. But some arsewipe on Leinster road decided to close pass me on the bend coming down towards Rathmines and the lights. So close that I hit the back of the car two Wallops to alert him. Caught him at the lights obviously! Long story short in his mind he decided I was too far out (I was a car doors width) so that excuses him essentially trying to run me over. Similar to the posters experience above about the right of way. Still fuming here.

That's the weird mentality you get from some. They see something that is not in line with their view of how things should be done, typically noticed as a perceived slight, blocking a lane or holding them up (rarely true). This then gives them, in their mind, carte blanche, to do what they want around the other party as that person has given up their right to be treated as another human being. It is a fascinating psychology.

This post has been deleted.
    Please back up your statement with facts, rather than unqualified statements without proof. Deaths involving cyclists/pedestrian interactions is incredibly rare in Ireland. In the last 20 years I know of two, one was the cyclist going the wrong way down a one way street (pedestrian passed away after collision), the other was a pedestrian colliding with a cyclist on a bike path (cyclist passed away).

I see Pedestrians doing stupid illegal **** every day.
    I see Cyclists doing stupid illegal **** every day.
    I see Motorists doing stupid illegal **** every day.

Only one of these groups has been recorded causing death and injuries in the thousands over the past 20 years, but please, regale me with the thousands of deaths caused by pedestrians and cyclists.
    A colleague of mine used to work in the same company as the mother of another cyclist who was killed on the roads this year, he only found out in the last week or so about the death and how it happened etc when talking to an old colleague of his. Apparently the driver of the vehicle had a heart attack the following day when he found out that the cyclist had died and driver passed away himself. We can sometimes forget in here the human side of the person driving the vehicle.
    Indeed, my father in law never recovered completely after his car was hit by a motorbike that attempted an overtake without looking, both rider and passenger died, a friend of my fathers had a pedestrian go under his wheels (ran up the inside while turning an 8 wheeler, tripped and went under the wheels in London). Neither fully dealt with it, the latter person died within a two years as he couldn't face life anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Paradicia wrote: »
    Does anyone find people who cycle slowly to be more dangerous than people cycling fast -- especially in bike lanes. If someone is going as slow as you can jog or walk, I find that to be really dangerous as it causes people to push out onto the street where cars are.

Went to overtake a fellow cyclist on the cycle path/track on the N11 last night. Took a quick glance over my shoulder before maneuvering and quickly decided against it - Bus Eireann X2 bombing up the bus lane, passed within 6 inches of the curb/path and would undoubtedly have hit me in the course of overtaking. I'd love to see all cycle tracks 2m wide!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

the weathers a bit better so its back to normal on the roads again. instead of having multiple dangerous passes in the wind and rain its down to just a few per day. i'm sure there were plenty more but these were 2 memorable ones

had a van really squeeze by me while in the bus lane at clarehall
    LHx5HFJ.png

a car give me a lovely punishment pass for having the nerve to stop at a red light while he was trying to use the bus lane to undertake some cars waiting to turn right. this one wasnt as close as some but driver purposely blasted past me as quick as he could and caused me to wobble
    F63XMIF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Does anyone have any experience of reporting any of these incidents?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

HugoMyBoss wrote: »

I by no means want to discourage anybody reporting them, but I have and didnt get too far. The gardai are stretched and lower priority stuff like this just doesnt seem to pique their interest. You'd want to be seriously injured before they give it any priority. I would however advise people to continue to report. Even if it doesnt result in a warning, it's still a reported incident and I optimistically live in hope that if enough incidents are reported, they may be taken more seriously.

Given that we are already at 5 deaths this year in less than 4 months and the fact we're on track to see more this year than last year (already a massive increase), we can only hope to see some drastic enforcement action by Gardai soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057863736/

I'm not encouraging any cross posting or brigading, just weird to see a thread like that when we discuss the risk to us of driver behaviour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

It's irrelevant weather or not the accident was attitubuted to the cyclist. Bicycles are still a danger to pedestrians.
    Cycling in Dublin City Centre is increasing substantially. So it's likely were going to see more incidents. Figures for the last 20 years aren't worth much anymore.
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/number-of-daily-dublin-cyclists-doubles-to-more-than-95-000-1.3230465%3fmode=amp

A bicycle has the potential to knock someone over and serious injure or kill them.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/woman-left-critical-in-hospital-after-being-hit-by-cyclist-in-dublin-36736431.html&ved=2ahUKEwj2wcuhpMbaAhUK_qQKHVOMCI8QFjAJegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3ihqPrc7kczolbAUwLfS4B

Was there really any need to antagonise the bus driver? Did I hear in the video that it was something about the bus blocking a cycle lane?

300 people a year in the USA are killed by toasters. What are you going to do about that?

I'm failing to see what relevant point you're making here other than as cycling becomes more popular you want to punish cyclists for some perceived and completely unsubstantiated danger?

MOD VOICE: Final warning for relentless negativity. Keep it up and you will no longer be welcome around here. Any questions via PM

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tommythecat

A bicycle has the potential to knock someone over and serious injure or kill them.

All the knives in my kitchen drawer have the potential to stab someone and seriously injure or kill them.

Get some stats or jog on

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

A driving license is an acknowledgement of the hazard. A driving license is not a permit to use a public road, because anyone can use a public road, but a driving license is a permit to operate a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place.

The reason the licensing system exists is because it is acknowledged that mechanically propelled vehicles are dangerous due to their size, mass, materiality, and the extreme forces that they can generate; forces that are fatal to humans and other animals.

A further acknowledgement of the hazards presented by mechanically propelled vehicles is the fact that we don't allow people to operate them publicly until they are at least 17 years of age.

By comparison, we teach our children to cycle at the age of 3, 4, or 5. Nobody in their right mind would teach their child to cycle at that age if they genuinely thought it was as dangerous as operating a mechanically propelled vehicle, just as nobody would teach their child to drive at the age of 5.

Cycling is fundamentally safe, both for the cyclist and anyone they come in proximity with.

Driving is fundamentally dangerous, both for the occupants of the vehicle and anyone in close proximity to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

A colleague of mine used to work in the same company as the mother of another cyclist who was killed on the roads this year, he only found out in the last week or so about the death and how it happened etc when talking to an old colleague of his. Apparently the driver of the vehicle had a heart attack the following day when he found out that the cyclist had died and driver passed away himself. We can sometimes forget in here the human side of the person driving the vehicle.

See that's the thing that absolutely and completely baffles the hell out of me. What do these drivers (who close pass us, cut us off, endanger etc etc) think the consequences will be if they kill someone? I can never understand how they don't think 'oh my god, I could kill someone'. I know that's what's uppermost in my mind when I'm driving. Their own lives would be ruined forever if they had to live with the consequences. I would hate to have someones death on my hands whether they were partly responsible or not, there is nowhere I need to be that is so important that I can't wait a few mins in order to overtake as safely as possible, or drive at a speed where I can slow or stop when necessary. When did we loose sight of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

See that's the thing that absolutely and completely baffles the hell out of me. What do these drivers (who close pass us, cut us off, endanger etc etc) think the consequences will be if they kill someone? I can never understand how they don't think 'oh my god, I could kill someone'. I know that's what's uppermost in my mind when I'm driving. Their own lives would be ruined forever if they had to live with the consequences. I would hate to have someones death on my hands whether they were partly responsible or not, there is nowhere I need to be that is so important that I can't wait a few mins in order to overtake as safely as possible, or drive at a speed where I can slow or stop when necessary. When did we loose sight of this?

I think it's all down to perspective. In a perfect world, I'd love to stick some of those angry motorists out on a bike along the quays, nipping up around Harolds Cross or wherever else there's dangerous places for cyclists. It's all about understanding where each is coming from.

I know that i'm a lot more careful of cyclists whenever i drive now. Which is very rare these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I think it's all down to perspective. In a perfect world, I'd love to stick some of those angry motorists out on a bike along the quays, nipping up around Harolds Cross or wherever else there's dangerous places for cyclists. It's all about understanding where each is coming from.

I know that i'm a lot more careful of cyclists whenever i drive now. Which is very rare these days.

http://road.cc/content/news/182717-video-how-teach-bus-drivers-give-cyclists-space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Yes, I had a video, which helped, guard called to the driver , she was very embarrassed and apologised, doubt she will do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

close passes, no. I am currently working through the system for a collision which was recorded on my camera and which I reported. it's slowly progressing towards a prosecution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement