Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

check out the grey car. takes off a full 3 seconds after the red, 5 after the amber!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hit a van this evening, car to my right waved a van out but it wasn't going into the traffic lane but into the petrol station. Managed to skid stop and turn in but bumped of the van and mirror.
    He apologised completely, Admitted fault and said he seen me but he just messed up. I was OK and he learned a lesson, asked him was he OK as I know you can get a shock and that was that.
    I should have slowed just in case but sin Compared to the driver 300m down the road who pulled out from my side. I let a roar to warn them and the devil eyes I got. Continues to stare at me as they drove out into moving traffic. The full military fatigue ensemble was also quite odd but I ain't the fashion police.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great tweeting from these lads in the UK today, this one though....

https://twitter.com/WMPRHRT/status/988843910557585408

oh wait, and this :pac:

https://twitter.com/WMPRHRT/status/988846090270191616

*wasn't sure which thread this best suited...

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I saw those earlier. It seems the UK police have really started to take a pragmatic approach to the real dangers on the road. Whereas here we still have to deal with the usual calls for hi-vis, helmets and "road tax"

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

And those passses don't even look that bad compared to what most of us see on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Was the bike cycled by a police officer, or were they just using video evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I nearly got hit by a guy on a bike this morning. The same guy has nearly knocked me off a few times. I always encounter him between Harolds Cross and Christ Church. Sometimes in the evening in the opposite direction too.

He's a really big guy, wears three quarter length shorts with a red hoodie. Cycles a mountain bike and has a real sh1tty hi-vis covering a bag on his back. He also has massive cans on his ears, so there has been a few occasions when he hasn't heard me telling him what i think of him. He has no consideration for other cyclists or motorists. When he gets hit or hits another cyclist, he's going to do damage due to his size and the fact that he's usually going at speed.

I've seen him nearly being taken out of it a few times because he overtakes without looking. He was a whisker away from being hit a while back overtaking someone in front of me around St Patricks Cathedral. I nearly puked after it, he didn't even bloody see the car coming up.

He never looks over his shoulder, never indicates that he is turning and sails through every fcuking red light.

/end rant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I nearly got hit by a guy on a bike this morning. The same guy has nearly knocked me off a few times. I always encounter him between Harolds Cross and Christ Church. Sometimes in the evening in the opposite direction too.

He's a really big guy, wears three quarter length shorts with a red hoodie. Cycles a mountain bike and has a real sh1tty hi-vis covering a bag on his back. He also has massive cans on his ears, so there has been a few occasions when he hasn't heard me telling him what i think of him. He has no consideration for other cyclists or motorists. When he gets hit or hits another cyclist, he's going to do damage due to his size and the fact that he's usually going at speed.

I've seen him nearly being taken out of it a few times because he overtakes without looking. He was a whisker away from being hit a while back overtaking someone in front of me around St Patricks Cathedral. I nearly puked after it, he didn't even bloody see the car coming up.

He never looks over his shoulder, never indicates that he is turning and sails through every fcuking red light.

/end rant

Sounds like a candidate for a Darwin award!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

homer911 wrote: »
    Sounds like a candidate for a Darwin award!

These Mr. Magoo fúckers never get hurt it's everyone else who takes evasive action that ends up injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

amcalester wrote: »
    These Mr. Magoo fúckers never get hurt it's everyone else who takes evasive action that ends up injured.

Aye, that's it. I'm constantly looking over my shoulder but this guy comes up fast and doesn't wait to overtake, he just goes through. Like an ignorant dreadnought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Hurrache wrote: »
    Was the bike cycled by a police officer, or were they just using video evidence?

What they do, AFAIK, is send out an officer unmarked, paired with officer on a motorcycle or in a car. The motorist never knows the cyclist by sight. It's much the same procedure as operated for trucks; they hae an unmarked cab driving around motorways so they can see what other truck drivers are doing and radio a paired car to pull said driver over if they're ont he phone, watching a laptop, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yeah, I've seen the truck cabs operations on Traffic Cops before, pretty cool set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

check out the grey car. takes off a full 3 seconds after the red, 5 after the amber!

Who is breaking the lights between the cyclist the walkers. Either the walkers are or two cyclist are!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Not quite related folks, but I witnessed an accident from my car at portobello bridge on the canal Tuesday night just after ten pm- I think it was a pedestrian.

I was waiting to get lights to turn left onto the canal whilst coming from Rathmines, I was a car back from the junction. a white car shot through the junction from my left to right and hit someone at speed - I'm not sure if it was a pedestrian or cyclist, literally after I heard the bang and a girl screaming, the rest of us got green lights. I'd guess that maybe they saw amber and accelerated to make it through - possibly through a red though.

I feel sorry for everyone involved and the images of the aftermath, a person prone in the road, people rushing to help / stop traffic, personal belongings and clothing scattered all over the road and the sharp bang of the impact etc will stay with me forever.

I couldn't turn left due to the accident so filtered right and continued across the bridge before stopping the car and getting out to see if there was anything I could do. The injured pedestrian was prone in the centre of the road and there were many people assisting/calling for an ambulance. Dolphins barn DFB units were amazing and were there in minutes. I'm not sure who really was at fault, but 2 days later I'm still in shock over the whole incident.

I honestly don't know if the person survived although I have searched news stories etc since and thankfully seen nothing about a death or even a serious injury, so fingers crossed that they make a full recovery.

Anyway, I think what I wanted to say was, however, you get about, walk, run, cycle - bicycle or motorbike, drive, take care of yourselves out there because nobody else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

https://twitter.com/WMPRHRT/status/988842302255894528
    Great to see the Irish connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Didnt twig this one coming this morning, scared the bejaysus out of me. Looking back, there was very little attempt made by the driver to leave some room, I think he moves out even further after he'd buzzed past.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Witnessed a close pass/clip this morning shortly after exiting the Phoenix Park. Just after the Infirmary Road junction a white Hyundai bull dozed through dangerously close to the cyclist 50m in front. So close in fact he hit him with his wing mirror which folded inwards, cyclist did well to stay upright. Driver continued on up the keys and only had a partial reg so thought I'd get the rest if caught in traffic. Sure enough he was a few hundred meters further up trying to turn right over the first bridge. I stopped on the left to note the reg and driver left the filter lane to transverse two lanes of traffic to have a go at me. Aggressive driver with no remorse and traffic was light so early in the morning so no need for such dangerous driving.

Incident reported now anyway whatever may come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Fair play for reporting it. Is that the first bridge up towards Thomas St? If so, moving over two lanes is absolutely absurd, it's a fairly wide road.

I hope you emphasised this was a hit and run when you reported it. Just because he wasn't hurt and knocked over doesn't make it any less severe. Scary to think someone could hit a person and go about their business. These people change when they're in cars. You go to point out their lights aren't on or something to be courteous and they have a go at you. It's like a psychotic nerve turns on behind the wheel and they're on the offensive.

Take a picture of a reg and someone would probably get out and push you over then get back in the car and drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Left hook in Bray. A junction I've used hundreds of times without a single issue. What the edited video doesn't show is the close pass a couple of hundred metres previous or the fact that he had to mount the pavement to get where he was.

When he went round the corner his window was already down for confrontation (which he got, obviously!) - he used the usual indicators on routine. so I've no doubt whatsoever this was a deliberate action. It can be seen in the read facing video how late the indicators went on (after I'd checked). It was lucky I had stopped in too high a gear or I'd have been further forward:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

What an absolute w@nker. Stopped at lights, knows he's turning in 50 metres, let's bike get ahead, still overtakes to cut him off.

• Advertisement

Cyclist down at Tickcnock this afternoon being attended to by fire brigade. Group of other cyclists with them and no car around that looked like it might have been involved, so hopefully nothing too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,976 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cyclist down at Tickcnock this afternoon being attended to by fire brigade. Group of other cyclists with them and no car around that looked like it might have been involved, so hopefully nothing too serious.

On the road or on the mountain?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess on the road given the comment about no car obvious to the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It was on the road just before the turn in towards Ticknock, was an old Mondeo with it hazards on parked around the corner from the incident, perhaps someone attending to the person on the bicycle..not sure if it was involved with the incident, DFB responded first, looked bad so hope the person on the bike is ok...

On Blackglen Road. Sorry, realised after I posted possibly unclear. I live in the 'Ticknock' estate there so call the general area Ticknock :)

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It was on the road just before the turn in towards Ticknock, was an old Mondeo with it hazards on parked around the corner from the incident, perhaps someone attending to the person on the bicycle..not sure if it was involved with the incident, DFB responded first, looked bad so hope the person on the bike is ok...

Was sorry I didn't stop after I got in to see if any of the other lads needed anything. Was in the car when I passed and didn't want to get in the way if I walked back up. Hard to know what to do in situations like that as DFB already there so not sure whether to 'intrude' or not. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,976 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hard to know what to do in situations like that as DFB already there so not sure whether to 'intrude' or not. :confused:

In general, if the emergency services are on site, a bystander isn't going to help much, and risks getting in the way, or causing another incident through bad parking or whatever.

In general, if the emergency services are on site, a bystander isn't going to help much, and risks getting in the way, or causing another incident through bad parking or whatever.

Yah thats why I didn't pull into the parking or go back up...I did think afterwards I could have offered to like take the bike somewhere for them or something, or bring it in until someone could collect so they could get off on their way etc. Anyway, I've searched for news on this and no garda presence at the scene so hopefully cyclist didn't come down too hard. Never nice to pass any accident but heart skipped a couple of beats when I realised it was a cyclist down, especially with how dangerous it can be on that stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Happened upon an insane piece of driving this morning.
    Four of us out early and heading for Millstreet,beautiful day.
    Just a couple of km’s from Dripsey on a really quiet country lane/boreen.The road runs adjacent to the Dripsey river,cycling towards an S bend in single file with a hump back bridge over the river (completely blind bend and wide enough for one car)
    Car comes from behind at speed just as we are reaching the bridge and attempts to pass us on the bridge itself and nearly cleans out two of my friends.
    ****íng insane manouvere passenger window down and shouting at us,all this at 8.30 on a Sunday morning.
    I told him to pull over but he just sped off,I have his registration on my rear camera,is it worth reporting?
    A couple of kids car seats in the back (empty) poor sods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Usual nut cases out in their cars this morning. Nearly getting t boned at a mini roundabout on the way to the rathoath gaa Tour of Meath at about 8.15 was an opener for 10. Overtaking on single / double continuous lines, into oncoming traffic and around bends / over bumps in the road. All pretty normal at this stage. Crazy speeds. Close passes. I’m immune to it at this stage.

Had about 3 or 4 drivers in the space of a few minutes overtake us, roll down their passenger windows and roar abuse while passing a group of us heading from Dunshaughlin to rathoath. One motorist thought it’d be a good idea to lean on the horn while overtaking us and swerve in suddenly at the top of the group.

What topped it off was some clown drawing up song side two of us heading home, cycling 2 abreast and causing absolutely no issues at bracetown near clonee. Red faced, veins in his neck bulging with rage while roaring at us, paying little attention to the road in front of us (there’s traffic calming there) and the oncoming traffic. I told him it was legal to cycle two abreast, to shut the fook up and keep driving. His partner / wife looked mortified and didn’t know where to look. This particular example stopped at the red lights at the road works at bracetown industrial estate. He was getting out of his car when I drew along side, but thought twice (I’m a large chap) and got back in, continuing to abuse us from the safety of his vehicle. Pretty amazing display really. I just repeated “its legal” (cycling two abreast). Must have repeated it about 20 times until he eventually shut up. We both waited at the red, then waved him on sarcastically - I’m sure it was something important like a breakfast roll or the Sunday papers that we were delaying him from. Going mad I hadn’t the bike camera with me - it was out of battery this morning.

Sunday morning cycling in Ireland. The new norm in our car dominated society.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement