Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Red faced, veins in his neck bulging with rage while roaring

Working on the heart attack…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Happened upon an insane piece of driving this morning.
    Four of us out early and heading for Millstreet,beautiful day.
    Just a couple of km’s from Dripsey on a really quiet country lane/boreen.The road runs adjacent to the Dripsey river,cycling towards an S bend in single file with a hump back bridge over the river (completely blind bend and wide enough for one car)
    Car comes from behind at speed just as we are reaching the bridge and attempts to pass us on the bridge itself and nearly cleans out two of my friends.
    ****íng insane manouvere passenger window down and shouting at us,all this at 8.30 on a Sunday morning.
    I told him to pull over but he just sped off,I have his registration on my rear camera,is it worth reporting?
    A couple of kids car seats in the back (empty) poor sods

If it's as bad as you make it sound, then yes, do report him.

He could kill someone with that type of driving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Obviously all the nutjobs were out today. After 80 splendid, calm and safe kms yesterday with nothing but good driving to report, today I had a few who overtook at speed, forcing oncoming cars to nearly stop for fear of hitting them. Must have happened at least half a dozen times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Close one this afternoon coming down old long hill at speed. Out in the lane, going about 55/60 and next I hear a massive angry beep, followed by a large blue BMW car right alongside, to scare the crap out of me. Blaring the horn. he passes me at speed with about 50cm(max) to spare. Total idiot to do that. I got a partial reg. Had I caught him I would have needed restraining not to smack him.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Close one this afternoon coming down old long hill at speed. Out in the lane, going about 55/60 and next I hear a massive angry beep, followed by a large blue BMW car right alongside, to scare the crap out of me. Blaring the horn. he passes me at speed with about 50cm(max) to spare. Total idiot to do that. I got a partial reg. Had I caught him I would have needed restraining not to smack him.

That is nuts. Hope you were at least on the new tarmac up there so not hopping potholes like was necessary two weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Happened upon an insane piece of driving this morning.
    Four of us out early and heading for Millstreet,beautiful day.
    Just a couple of km’s from Dripsey on a really quiet country lane/boreen.The road runs adjacent to the Dripsey river,cycling towards an S bend in single file with a hump back bridge over the river (completely blind bend and wide enough for one car)
    Car comes from behind at speed just as we are reaching the bridge and attempts to pass us on the bridge itself and nearly cleans out two of my friends.
    ****íng insane manouvere passenger window down and shouting at us,all this at 8.30 on a Sunday morning.
    I told him to pull over but he just sped off,I have his registration on my rear camera,is it worth reporting?
    A couple of kids car seats in the back (empty) poor sods

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Cyclist down at Tickcnock this afternoon being attended to by fire brigade. Group of other cyclists with them and no car around that looked like it might have been involved, so hopefully nothing too serious.
    On the road or on the mountain?
    i guess on the road given the comment about no car obvious to the incident.
    Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It was on the road just before the turn in towards Ticknock, was an old Mondeo with it hazards on parked around the corner from the incident, perhaps someone attending to the person on the bicycle..not sure if it was involved with the incident, DFB responded first, looked bad so hope the person on the bike is ok...
    On Blackglen Road. Sorry, realised after I posted possibly unclear. I live in the 'Ticknock' estate there so call the general area Ticknock :)
    Was sorry I didn't stop after I got in to see if any of the other lads needed anything. Was in the car when I passed and didn't want to get in the way if I walked back up. Hard to know what to do in situations like that as DFB already there so not sure whether to 'intrude' or not. :confused:
    In general, if the emergency services are on site, a bystander isn't going to help much, and risks getting in the way, or causing another incident through bad parking or whatever.
    Yah thats why I didn't pull into the parking or go back up...I did think afterwards I could have offered to like take the bike somewhere for them or something, or bring it in until someone could collect so they could get off on their way etc. Anyway, I've searched for news on this and no garda presence at the scene so hopefully cyclist didn't come down too hard. Never nice to pass any accident but heart skipped a couple of beats when I realised it was a cyclist down, especially with how dangerous it can be on that stretch.

To hopefully put minds at ease somewhat (@mods, please delete if inappropriate, but hopefully it's ok), if this was around 4pm on Saturday, there's a 99% certainty that it was my partner, as she came off on the descent there. The car was not involved (nor was any other vehicle), and from my understanding a lady who works as a nurse at St Vincents was passing and stopped with them, so likely that was her car as Tenzor07 suggested.

As noted, DFB attended first (and I have to say having had a friend paralysed in a cycling accident a few years ago it was reassuring to be put on the phone to one of them from the scene and be told that she was moving her legs, etc. to kudos to them), and she was taken away by ambulance soon after. The damage as catalogued so far is a fractured mandible, fractures in her eye socket, and a few missing teeth. She may have some other lesser injuries, or less visible fractures, around her body as well, but certainly the outcome could have been a lot worse. She's currently laid up in hospital waiting on a surgical team to get started fixing the damage.

@RacoonQueen, in case you're still worrying about the bike, it was collected by a clubmate's father who lives nearby and is in safe hands also! Not sure if he got it from the scene or from the fire station, but DFB had also offered to take it and store it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

cython wrote: »
    To hopefully put minds at ease somewhat (@mods, please delete if inappropriate, but hopefully it's ok), if this was around 4pm on Saturday, there's a 99% certainty that it was my partner, as she came off on the descent there. T waiting on a surgical team to get started fixing the damage.

Very sorry to hear that, hope she's on the mend soon with no lasting damage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

cython wrote: »
    To hopefully put minds at ease somewhat (@mods, please delete if inappropriate, but hopefully it's ok), if this was around 4pm on Saturday, there's a 99% certainty that it was my partner, as she came off on the descent there. The car was not involved (nor was any other vehicle), and from my understanding a lady who works as a nurse at St Vincents was passing and stopped with them, so likely that was her car as Tenzor07 suggested.

As noted, DFB attended first (and I have to say having had a friend paralysed in a cycling accident a few years ago it was reassuring to be put on the phone to one of them from the scene and be told that she was moving her legs, etc. to kudos to them), and she was taken away by ambulance soon after. The damage as catalogued so far is a fractured mandible, fractures in her eye socket, and a few missing teeth. She may have some other lesser injuries, or less visible fractures, around her body as well, but certainly the outcome could have been a lot worse. She's currently laid up in hospital waiting on a surgical team to get started fixing the damage.

@RacoonQueen, in case you're still worrying about the bike, it was collected by a clubmate's father who lives nearby and is in safe hands also! Not sure if he got it from the scene or from the fire station, but DFB had also offered to take it and store it.

That's exactly it. Thanks for the update. Was hoping someone who was there would see this and let us know how the cyclist was. Glad it's not (too) serious and hope she heals up well. Nearly came off myself in groups with wheels rubbing etc so many things like that can so easily happen and cause nasty injuries. Another reminder of how vulnerable we are out there.

Hope she's doing ok and gets back out on the road soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

https://goo.gl/maps/HqJyYASykB52

Passing through this roundabout this morning. I'm in the bus lane, it merges with the other traffic lane and into a single lane around the roundabout.

Guy from behind ignores my signal (it's clearly visible from the shadow from my camera) that I'm running out of bus lane, proceeds to barge past, forcing me off the roundabout. Nearly came off the bike. It's always easy to catch up with these clowns given the monumental levels of traffic congestion in traffic congestion

I approach the car and tap on the window. He rolls his window down and he's immediately on the defensive.

"Hi, you nearly knocked me off my bike down there. I was signalling to pull out. I have it all on my camera". I also reminded him that if he's going to drive like a tw@t, it's best making sure the person on a bike to whom you're being a tw@t to doesn't have a camera.

"you gave the wrong signal mate, you weren't turning right". An interesting retort. I'm trying to get into his mind at this point. So I was going straight on, but needed to move right to merge. Surely a bus does something similar, or would he cut a bus up in a similar manner?

Driving a Nissan Tilda as well. These cars are obviously getting smarter, they can predict where a cycling in from of them is travelling and what his signal means. Roll on autonomous vehicles, help protect us from these brain deads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

if you were in the bus lane, merging right, then you didn't have right of way and need to allow moving traffic to your right to clear before you merge. you stop at a yield sign until safe to merge.

i'm trying to picture it using the google map you posted so maybe i am wrong.

site_owner wrote: »
    if you were in the bus lane, merging right, then you didn't have right of way and need to allow moving traffic to your right to clear before you merge. you stop at a yield sign until safe to merge.

i'm trying to picture it using the google map you posted so maybe i am wrong.

Traffic was coming from behind. He drew along side me and cut me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

https://goo.gl/maps/HqJyYASykB52

Guy from behind ignores my signal (it's clearly visible from the shadow from my camera) that I'm running out of bus lane, proceeds to barge past, forcing me off the roundabout. Nearly came off the bike. It's always easy to catch up with these clowns given the monumental levels of traffic congestion in traffic congestion

It looks like you need to yield at the end of the bus lane and that the 'normal' lane has right of way. Signaling doesn't give you right of way (as I am tired of telling taxi drivers).

Maybe I am misunderstanding where you were when he drove past you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AK55

Was out on a group cycle in meath saturday morning. About ten of us cycling two abreast on a narrow
    twisty country road . As we were coming up to a blind we were dangerously overtaken by another cycling group
    also two abreast and about the same size.Thought this was very bad form and if a car had of come round the corner there would have been carnage. All because they like motorists couldnt wait a few seconds for a straight run.

PaulieC wrote: »
    It looks like you need to yield at the end of the bus lane and that the 'normal' lane has right of way. Signaling doesn't give you right of way (as I am tired of telling taxi drivers).

Signalling doesn't give you right of way, but there are certain drivers who will speed up to pass someone out and cut them off. Not awfully legal…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Signalling doesn't give you right of way, but there are certain drivers who will speed up to pass someone out and cut them off. Not awfully legal…

That's true, but it's not illegal either. Rude and stupid maybe, but not illegal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yesterday was the worst day we'd had as a group on the road. 4 times we had cars passing with oncoming cars or motorbikes!! We weren't hanging around and the cars were not logged behind us for more than 20 seconds.
    I have the reg of one little muppet but after the experience I had in reporting the one single car I have reported before, its a ball load of hassle to do it, as mad as that sounds.
    What is wrong with people!!!

PaulieC wrote: »

So I've looked back on my camera footage. It's a rear facing camera.

Driver actually was behind me for about 300 - 400 meters. Initially when leaving my own estate. I pulled away from him at the roundabout before. Maybe that could have enraged him. A guy on a bike in front? how dare he.

Where the incident occurred, I indicated with him at least 30 - 40 meters or so behind me. I'm familiar that you have to give way to oncoming traffic, but what's reasonable? If he was 5 meters behind I'd understand, but surely someone on a bike that's well lit and a good 40 meters in front, signally and and visible for a few minutes before would have registered? anyway giving his attitude, seems like he enjoyed the confrontation. Punishment passes is obviously his thing in his little Nissan Tilda.

He still proceeded to ignore my signal, barge past me and continue on his way. His argument as that I was 100% in the wrong, signalling incorrectly (how did he know I wasn't turning right?). Don't have the time at the moment to put footage / pictures up, will try later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Almost a standard thing, a '12 white Prius taxi, sign not on (so not meant to use the lane), driven very close by on Clanbrassil St, ie on the cycle lane with nothing to his right, and I was in that iffy cycle lane. I see the purpose of front/rear camera, and my contempt for that category of motorist is re-enforced, a very high proportion of aggressive, threatening drivers. There are far too many of them. That Mary Harney de-regulation has worked out very badly.

Where the incident occurred, I indicated with him at least 30 - 40 meters or so behind me. I'm familiar that you have to give way to oncoming traffic, but what's reasonable?

thats not on. the way you describe that there was room and he actively made an effort to block you rather than just not easing off to you let you out which is what i had pictured.

i can imagine if it was a car or bus to his left that he wouldn't have moved forward like that and instead left the gap open.

• Advertisement

one of my own encouters, of many at the weekend.
    this annoyed me becuase of the amount of time that had passed since the lights had changed. the white jeep and the goldish saloon also broke the red but silver hatchback really was taing the piss.

amber for 5 seconds, red for 2 more, green for me to go.

i think i missed him in my line of sight while the jeep was running the light, or thought he was going to stop, but i was able to stop on time to avoid getting hit.

Here's the amount Nissan Tilda man had. I'm probably 20 or so meters from merging, indicating right.

https://imgur.com/a/09uGRU2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

AK55 wrote: »
    Was out on a group cycle in meath saturday morning. About ten of us cycling two abreast on a narrow
    twisty country road . As we were coming up to a blind we were dangerously overtaken by another cycling group
    also two abreast and about the same size.Thought this was very bad form and if a car had of come round the corner there would have been carnage. All because they like motorists couldnt wait a few seconds for a straight run.

Shocking, did you get the club jersey? I would report in to their secretary if you did. Very few groups or clubs would tolerate that stupidity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That's insane, even on my own I will sit behind a group until A) I have a clear run and B) until I'm sure that I can clear them and open a gap rather than them having to overtake me again 1k up the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Almost taken out by a taxi this morning here. Taxi appeared to be proceeding straight, I was 2/3m behind him to his left. Taxi did the old signal and turn immediately routine into the square after the bridge at the CHQ building (turn off where the cyclist is in the google maps link above). Grabbed a handful of the brakes, went sliding cause of the wet roads and just about managed to stay upright somehow, otherwise I was going under his car. Close one, had me a little rattled the rest of the way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Almost taken out by a taxi this morning here. Taxi appeared to be proceeding straight, I was 2/3m behind him to his left. Taxi did the old signal and turn immediately routine into the square after the bridge at the CHQ building (turn off where the cyclist is in the google maps link above). Grabbed a handful of the brakes, went sliding cause of the wet roads and just about managed to stay upright somehow, otherwise I was going under his car. Close one, had me a little rattled the rest of the way to work.

Horrible spot around there. Its usually cars or buses trying to pass you while on that bridge type structure where cycle lane disappears that causes most issues. I have also seen cars come out of that turn and take an illegal right over that island in your pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Horrible spot around there. Its usually cars or buses trying to pass you while on that bridge type structure where cycle lane disappears that causes most issues. I have also seen cars come out of that turn and take an illegal right over that island in your pic.

Yeah, I'm pretty comfortable and careful going down the quays but that spot is a choke point that I'm always extra careful of for this very reason. All happened way too fast for me to even process that he was stopping, but it probably would have been pointless me stopping and having a word with him anyway.

The quays are anarchic hell.

Dublin Cycling is having a mass cycle on 3 June World Bicycle Day along the quays (not finalised yet, apparently, but probably by a circuitous route from the Áras to Leinster House.

3 June is a Sunday, the day that half of the cyclists killed off their bikes last year died.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Was passed aggressively by a Fingal County Council van/truck this morning. Too close and approaching traffic on the opposite side of the road meant they pulled in close in front of me. The kicker was seeing a big banner on the back of the van:

"Stayin’ Alive at 1.5M, PASS WITH CARE"

With cyclist/overtaking logo. Feck sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Was passed aggressively by a Fingal County Council van/truck this morning. Too close and approaching traffic on the opposite side of the road meant they pulled in close in front of me. The kicker was seeing a big banner on the back of the van:

"Stayin’ Alive at 1.5M, PASS WITH CARE"

With cyclist/overtaking logo. Feck sake.

hadn't they teamed up with Phil Skelton / the stayin alive campaign a couple of months ago? pretty sure they also started erecting roadside signs with the staying alive campaign graphic on it.
    definitely worth an email to both the council and Phil to highlight it imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement