Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Rechuchote wrote: »
    The quays are anarchic hell.

Dublin Cycling is having a mass cycle on 3 June World Bicycle Day along the quays (not finalised yet, apparently, but probably by a circuitous route from the Áras to Leinster House.

3 June is a Sunday, the day that half of the cyclists killed off their bikes last year died.

Agree that the quays are out of control. The bus lane is heavily ignored by motorists from the four courts on. Tailgated almost every morning there now. Likewise on the southern quays - some fool in a white van yesterday. Taxis seem to take an enjoyment out of skimming cyclists as close as possible as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Was passed aggressively by a Fingal County Council van/truck this morning. Too close and approaching traffic on the opposite side of the road meant they pulled in close in front of me. The kicker was seeing a big banner on the back of the van:

"Stayin’ Alive at 1.5M, PASS WITH CARE"

With cyclist/overtaking logo. Feck sake.

Remember that many people who drive for a living are very, very stupid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That is absolutely untrue, and an incrediby rude and ignorant statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

Unfortunately this is my experience as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

nee wrote: »
    That is absolutely untrue, and an incrediby rude and ignorant statement to make.

In fairness, the poster is saying many which could mean anything from 1% to 99% so they are technically correct. I find most Dublin bus drivers are very good but there are still many plain ignorant people driving buses too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nee wrote: »
    i dunno if the poster intended to imply that they're more likely to be stupid, but i read it as there are stupid drivers, as there are stupid people in all walks of life. except perhaps rocket scientists.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    So I've looked back on my camera footage. It's a rear facing camera.

Driver actually was behind me for about 300 - 400 meters. Initially when leaving my own estate. I pulled away from him at the roundabout before. Maybe that could have enraged him. A guy on a bike in front? how dare he.

Where the incident occurred, I indicated with him at least 30 - 40 meters or so behind me. I'm familiar that you have to give way to oncoming traffic, but what's reasonable? If he was 5 meters behind I'd understand, but surely someone on a bike that's well lit and a good 40 meters in front, signally and and visible for a few minutes before would have registered? anyway giving his attitude, seems like he enjoyed the confrontation. Punishment passes is obviously his thing in his little Nissan Tilda.

He still proceeded to ignore my signal, barge past me and continue on his way. His argument as that I was 100% in the wrong, signalling incorrectly (how did he know I wasn't turning right?). Don't have the time at the moment to put footage / pictures up, will try later.

I know its hard to take, but you were completely wrong. You weren't turning right and you didn't yield as per the markings.

i dunno if the poster intended to imply that they're more likely to be stupid, but i read it as there are stupid drivers, as there are stupid people in all walks of life. except perhaps rocket scientists.

My mistake if this is the intention, but it reads to me like "many many people who drive for a living are stupid" which is so wrong I don't even know where to begin!
    That idiots drive there is no doubt, but there are as many idiots in driving jobs as any other job. It's not profession specific!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Many stupid professional drivers is my experience. Not so much Dublin Bus drivers - plenty of them intelligent, careful and charming - but perhaps jobs that don't have so much human interactions like delivery drivers, long-distance truckers and so on require less keen decision-making skill…

I'm speaking as someone who interacts daily (as do most here) with taxi drivers, van drivers and truckers who "didn't see you, sorry", close-pass, carve up and sometimes swear at the cyclists they pass.

I know its hard to take, but you were completely wrong. You weren't turning right and you didn't yield as per the markings.

I disagree. The motorist approached me from about 30 - 50 meters or so. Plenty of time to see what I wax up to. I indicated in ample time - as a bus or any othe vehicle would merging from this lane - but the motorist chose to ignore my signal and continue to barge through. How was the motorist not to know I was turning right anyway? Or would it be acceptable just to drive into the rear of a motorised vehicle indicting in this situation?

I’ll be taking the footage to the gardai. Let’s see what they come back with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I disagree. The motorist approached me from about 30 - 50 meters or so. Plenty of time to see what I wax up to. I indicated in ample time - as a bus or any othe vehicle would merging from this lane - but the motorist chose to ignore my signal and continue to barge through. How was the motorist not to know I was turning right anyway? Or would it be acceptable just to drive into the rear of a motorised vehicle indicting in this situation?

I’ll be taking the footage to the gardai. Let’s see what they come back with.

Im not going to wade into the debate about who was right or wrong there but in a situation like that where the road markings leave inadequate space to comfortably merge I'd be taking the car lane well before it was an issue.

Merging lanes like that with no lead in or leeway are lethal for cyclists and I make sure I avoid them at all costs. It's sometimes to the annoyance of cars following but I'd rather mildly irritate someone than have them squeeze me off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3wZRdg-Tmo

You might wanna give that a rethink.

benjamin d wrote: »
    Im not going to wade into the debate about who was right or wrong there but in a situation like that where the road markings leave inadequate space to comfortably merge I'd be taking the car lane well before it was an issue.

Merging lanes like that with no lead in or leeway are lethal for cyclists and I make sure I avoid them at all costs. It's sometimes to the annoyance of cars following but I'd rather mildly irritate someone than have them squeeze me off the road.

Thing is though, there’s a good 150 meters run up to this roundabout. Plenty of time for a motorist to see a cyclist and vice versa, So if I “take the lane” without using the bus / cycle lane, I fall foul to motorists complaining I’m “holding them up”, and will probably be undertaken (given my experience in similar situations).

I believe I approached this correctly - the rules of the road state in a yield situation that “you must slow down, but you do not have to stop completely unless you need to wait for oncoming traffic to pass”. So if I was to wait for all traffic to pass, it’d be a long morning there. The driver was being an arse and just couldn’t tolerate waiting less than 5 seconds for me to get through a tight roundabout.

As I said any other vehicle and it wouldn’t be an issue. But a bike “holding someone up” for less than 5 seconds and these dick moves seem justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

any other vehicle and it wouldn’t be an issue. But a bike “holding someone up” for less than 5 seconds and these dick moves seem justified.

i agree with you, if it was a bus/taxi or even a queue skipping car someone would leave room (maybe not this guy, maybe he is an allround jerk) but in this case he made the effort to keep you blocked.

Many stupid professional drivers is my experience. Not so much Dublin Bus drivers - plenty of them intelligent, careful and charming - but perhaps jobs that don't have so much human interactions like delivery drivers, long-distance truckers and so on require less keen decision-making skill…

I'm speaking as someone who interacts daily (as do most here) with taxi drivers, van drivers and truckers who "didn't see you, sorry", close-pass, carve up and sometimes swear at the cyclists they pass.

You are in actuality very, very wrong.
    There are bad drivers in all vehicles, I interact with professional drivers as you do every day, and don't find them any more negligent or brilliant than regular drivers. I have as many interactions with both.

As to your assumptions based on intelligence I actually can't even. It's screamingly obvious that you don't know anyone or very few people who drive for a living. I know a lot. A vast proportion of my family do it. My father drove a lorry for 40 years. I grew up in and around HGV's. None of the hundreds of professional drivers I have met in the course of my life have lacked intelligence any more than the rest of the population. Denouncing someone's intelligence on the basis of the job they do is wilfully ignorant, short-sighted and arrogant at best. There is so much wrong with that assumption I don't actually even know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

That's precisely why you should have taken the lane before the dashed line/yield section. By staying in the bus lane to that point you'd ceded right of way whereas if you'd entered the car lane ten metres earlier it wouldn't have been an issue. If I'm ever in a situation on the bike where staying in the bike lane or bus lane means I technically lose right of way I will never allow myself to stay in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

...and will probably be undertaken (given my experience in similar situations).

I'd agree, and being undertaken a very unpleasant experience. I've a ropey junction on my commute which caused me so many near misses I take an alternative route most days.

Here where the silver car is, lane splits from one into three, two for left and one for right. I wanna head right. Move too early (at the split) and I'll be undertaken. Usually nearly clipped as the motorist realises I'm doing 35-40km/h and there's a line of traffic at the lights they need to get into. Move too late and I have to cross 2 lanes. Road is 60 and very hard to find a decent gap.

There is a ped crossing about 100m back that I'm tempted to hit as I pass, to hold traffic back too :D but in classic irish road design, it's awfully placed and backs traffic back onto a very busy roundabout, and I'm not sure about the legal (or moral) stance on that idea. Alternative route prob best.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

I'd agree, and being undertaken a very unpleasant experience. I've a ropey junction on my commute which caused me so many near misses I take an alternative route most days.

Here where the silver car is, lane splits from one into three, two for left and one for right. I wanna head right. Move too early (at the split) and I'll be undertaken. Usually nearly clipped as the motorist realises I'm doing 35-40km/h and there's a line of traffic at the lights they need to get into. Move too late and I have to cross 2 lanes. Road is 60 and very hard to find a decent gap.

There is a ped crossing about 100m back that I'm tempted to hit as I pass, to hold traffic back too :D but in classic irish road design, it's awfully placed and backs traffic back onto a very busy roundabout, and I'm not sure about the legal (or moral) stance on that idea. Alternative route prob best.

Would you not be better using the cycle lane on the right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Also must agree. I'm sure there are exceptions but the norm is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's one of those lanes that appears out of no where and then disappears shortly after. Makes no sense.

• Advertisement

That leads into a one way cycle track the opposite way I want to go, and need to use 2 ped crossings to get to it and another 2 to return to the correct side of the road to continue onwards. There is an alternative route which is a little longer but safer, it's more just frustrating that many motorists cant look 50 feet ahead to see that an undertake will effectively get them nowhere, never mind it being a dangerous manoeuvre.

jjpep wrote: »
    Also must agree. I'm sure there are exceptions but the norm is stupid.

You are wrong. So very, very, very wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not quite a near miss, but enough for a '****, that shouldn't have happened' moment - coming onto the roundabout at the east link this morning, there's already a flatbed lorry on the roundabout - quick glance at him, he's not indicating which means the way is clear for me, so i proceed; then realise that it's just a slightly slow blinking indicator on the lorry, and he *is* coming towards me. far enough away that i wasn't in any real danger, but enough for a little shot of adrenaline.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seen one this morning, a commuter racing acquaintance was coming up to the roundabout near Loughlinstown. Car merged across me at the bend before the roundabout to go into the left lane, while indicating left at the roundabout. I pulled my brakes and merged into the right lane as I was going right anyway. Crushed him into the edge and then proceeded not to turn left and go round the roundabout. Mental driving, I thought it was intentional but really hard to tell nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

I have seen many, but this is one of the most disgusting ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

My heart sank watching that ^, even knowing no direct harm came from it.

The photos don't do it justice; you have to see the video.

The person filming must have had a close enough shave there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

plodder wrote: »
    My heart sank watching that ^, even knowing no direct harm came from it.

The photos don't do it justice; you have to see the video.

The video is there in the tweet at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

That's horrible

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement