Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Inches from death I would say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

And the usual aul sh1te reply from the lads at DB

https://twitter.com/dublinbusnews/status/991976491427786752

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

And the usual aul sh1te reply from the lads at DB

https://twitter.com/dublinbusnews/status/991976491427786752

Dublin Bus have this on a text expander shortcut, I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Dublin Bus have this on a text expander shortcut, I think!

Yep and they'll get the canned response of "Driver has been interviewed and we take safety very seriously"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've never even received a response to the form.

• Advertisement

They were quick enough to engage with me a number of years back when the bus I was on was involved in a minor fender bender with a truck and wanted a witness statement surprise surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

queldy wrote: »
    I have seen many, but this is one of the most disgusting ever.

It’s really bad! I have seen that guy with the kids. I wonder if he knows ? Seemed oblivious.
    Location is Ranelagh Triangle. No excuse for the driver (horrendous decision to go through) but in my opinion it looks like the cyclist could be more to the right. Lots of traffic filters left there and they can come very close if you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

One of the twitter responses, I hope it’s just a tool trolling.

“To be fair to the driver he couldn't have been expected to see the cyclists given that they weren't wearing hi-vis. In any case, thankfully they were wearing helmets so they would have been fine if the bus hit them.”

Pinch Flat wrote: »

“To be fair to the driver he couldn't have been expected to see the cyclists given that they weren't wearing hi-vis. In any case, thankfully they were wearing helmets so they would have been fine if the bus hit them.”

Must be the Dublin Bus driver or its PR dept trying to explain/justify insane decision making by one of their highly trained and aware professional drivers

I took that comment to be sarcasm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Pinch Flat wrote: »

I read that earlier as if it was dripping with sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I wasn't the cyclist, but I was the driver coming the other way this evening having picked the missus' bike up from a shop in the Peaks district (18 Bikes; they're awesome) for some maintenance work, and approaching the outskirts of Sheffield. Nice wide road (and by wide, I mean two tanks side by side overtaking cyclists at 1.5m sort of wide), feck all traffic - just a girl on a road bike, tosser in a car overtaking her, and myself coming the other way on a big wide straight stretch, albeit I had just come onto the stretch of road from a bend. I was met with watching her have to visibly and dramatically swerve back in towards the side of the road as he overtook like an absolute colossal bell-end. It wasn't even like the other driver was in danger of colliding with my car. He was just being a total d1ck as she had taken primary road position to turn off right, across the road not far up (having her arm out to indicate).

I'm just left wondering what was the point. It's not like she'd have delayed him as there was next to no traffic ahead of him.

Saw another crazy one last sunday in the further into the Peaks district; myself and the missus driving back from mountain biking (funnily enough to drop her bike into said same shop from earlier), to encounter a fool committed to overtaking a single cyclist in the middle of a blind 'S' bend in a 50mph single-carriage road, and having to swerve back in nearly wiping said cyclist out whilst trying to avoid a head-on collision with myself having just rounded one end of the blind bend, all whilst having a bike strapped to the top of his big-black SUV-esque not-quite-a-jeep. The irony of a cyclist, driving a car, nearly causing an accident with another cyclist driving a car, whilst trying to do a dumb overtake on another cyclist is not lost on me.

Generally speaking, my experiences to-date of Sheffield have been mostly favourable; so it's a bit disappointing to see two incidents in such close proximity to each other.

I took that comment to be sarcasm.

100%..There is no other meaningful response to what was posted by the “Hi vis and wearing helmets” troll comment.

Sorry if it’s not your thing!

By the way, I have had multiple close passes by Dublin Bus drivers. One last week on Georges St, practically made contact as they passed and then they pulled into a stop just meters ahead. Had I fallen, hi vis, helmet, jock strap, back protector etc would not have prevented me going under the wheel. Nearly every day a Dublin Bus drops across me and other cyclists as we exit the cycle lane onto Westmoreland St. They impose their right of way (which legally they don’t have coming from behind)

A lot of these DB drivers (not all) are pure ass holes. Such is their driving and social skills, they probably would not get a driving job anywhere else.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    100%..There is no other meaningful response to what was posted by the “Hi vis and wearing helmets” troll comment.

Sorry if it’s not your thing!

By the way, I have had multiple close passes by Dublin Bus drivers. One last week on Georges St, practically made contact as they passed and then they pulled into a stop just meters ahead. Had I fallen, hi vis, helmet, jock strap, back protector etc would not have prevented me going under the wheel. Nearly every day a Dublin Bus drops across me and other cyclists as we exit the cycle lane onto Westmoreland St. They impose their right of way (which legally they don’t have coming from behind)

A lot of these DB drivers (not all) are pure ass holes. Such is their driving and social skills, they probably would not get a driving job anywhere else.

But you have to tell their company! To which you'll get the answer:
    Hi Kaisr, please follow the link to our online webform and we will look into this for you bit.ly/1UQnvcO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The internal bus investigation should be irrevelent. In some other european countries, it would be straight to the police, an almost instant conviction of the driver based on clear evidence of dangerous driving, loss of licence and job, examples made, people change driving behaviour for the better, city gets safer to cycle, everybody gets healthier and happier.

Here the gardai probably won't even bat an eyelid - "Surrre nobody got hurt, whats the problem?"

For a country that beats our chest so much about our education and intelligence we really are the backward, "hills have eyes", island people of Europe when it comes to our backward attitudes towards a healthy positive thing as cycling. It's pathetic and embarassing. :mad:

Don't even get me started on how the ones displaying the worst behavour towards poeple on bikes are probably the ones that will be clogging up our health system with heart conditions, cancers, diabetes etc because they didnt give a flying f**k about their own physical health their whole lives. How far is your precious "road tax" going to go towards paying all those costs ? /RANT

Duckjob wrote: »
    The internal bus investigation should be irrevelent. In some other european countries, it would be straight to the police, an almost instant conviction of the driver based on clear evidence of dangerous driving, loss of licence and job, examples made, people change driving behaviour for the better, city gets safer to cycle, everybody gets healthier and happier.

So true!
    Don't even get me started on how the ones displaying the worst behavour towards poeple on bikes are probably the ones that will be clogging up our health system with heart conditions, cancers, diabetes etc because they didnt give a flying f**k about their own physical health their whole lives. How far is your precious "road tax" going to go towards paying all those costs ? /RANT

I was amazed by how many very fat people were at the meeting in Ranelagh about the Metrolink. It seemed to be an age thing: over-80s were skinny and wiry, under-60s were plump, and increasingly so in many cases down to the 30s. (I'm no sylph myself, by the way.)

It's tragic that the Quietway plan (hated by Ranelagh's motorists) seems to be stymied by the Metrolink - a good cycle route would inevitably get more people in the village riding bicycles to the shops and cafes and maybe even to work, and would do a world of good for their health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Cycling on Friday afternoon, slight downhill , car parked across the cyclelane ,so I pulled out well in advance to pass.

White van comes up behind me at speed and beeps at me twice.
    I caught up with the driver soon after , and asked why he beeped.

"you weren't in the cycle lane!"

Brought the video to the guards , but doubt anything will be done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Some bellend on a bike came out of a side road near Belfield. had to mount foot path or i would have t boned him. then in my rush to get off the footpath i cut off a cyclist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I accidentally went right through the zebra crossing in Roundwood on Sunday. Didn't even notice the traffic on other side had stopped until I saw two women halfway across. Thankfully they were crossing cautiously anyway and were looking around the stopped traffic to see if anything else was coming saw me and stopped. I came to a stop on it and apologised with a "I'm so sorry that was totally my bad'' they said it was alright but I hotfooted it out of there as I was absolutely mortified :o
    Was sorry after I didn't stop properly on the crossing to apologise...but I was so mortified I just wanted to get out of there. Huge freakin big line of traffic waiting on other side of road to get through crossing. Motorcyclist full on turned to look at me as I passed him. :o
    Occurred to me that I've never really 'noticed' that crossing before, probably because I've never been through it on a busy, sunny Sunday. Could have been a nasty accident if they hadn't seen me!

On another note, my sister knocked down a cyclist this evening as she was turning (left I think) into a petrol station. Told me she did look in her mirror but didn't see her...
    Girl went off in an ambulance with her bike snapped in two but is thankfully ok.
    Apparently she said ''I was going full pelt with the wind at my back" Funny how shock can make us almost blame ourselves when someone hits us. Did the same myself once.
    I got very defensive when she told me that the cyclist 'hit her car' - 'no you pulled across her' - 'ah would you stop, I'm upset enough about it' :pac: Whatevs you should have looked closer.
    My sister has a terrible attitude towards cyclists, giving out about them doing nothing wrong. I can't be in a car with her driving (also a terrible driver so..). Hopefully this teaches her a lesson anyway, sadly at the expense of that poor girls cuts and bruises for the next couple of weeks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

from the other day.

• Advertisement

Car gets bonus numpty points for blocking both the path and bike lane there.

And he beeps for the first time just as you were passing the car. Where did he expect you to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Chiparus wrote: »

from the other day.

Looks very much to like he actually sped up so as to 'make a point'.

On the plus side, and I don't know if it was the weather or the 1.5 MPDL news coverage, but the amount of space, courtesy, consideration and patience I was shown by other road users all weekend was staggering.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hopefully this teaches her a lesson anyway, sadly at the expense of that poor girls cuts and bruises for the next couple of weeks though.

Your sister may learn it the expense of a hefty medical bill and insurance claim

Weepsie wrote: »
    Your sister may learn it the expense of a hefty medical bill and insurance claim

Yep. Think she knows that too and she'll be well aware of that as I claimed from one driver back in 2012. Expensive lesson and hopefully not one that puts her off the road if insurance goes up too much...3 kids and all that...but, being honest, I will have no sympathy if it does given previous attitude I've seen from her. Dent in the side of her car too and with frame snapped she and cyclist sound extremely lucky it wasn't significantly more serious.

Chiparus wrote: »
    from the other day.

Poor man left his brain at home; easy to forget things when you're rushing out the door…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

outbound on the frascati road this morning, approaching the junction with seapoint avenue (it's a left turn for seapoint) - i go straight on here. anyway, three cars in front indicate left, so i slow a little to give space, and glance over my right shoulder. white van coming up from behind, and he's got his indicator on too. but he's seen me, yeah? bright orange top, flashing red light, and it's broad daylight. anyway, within a couple of seconds he's alongside me, pulling across the cycle lane.
    fortunately, we'd both had to slow down because of the traffic in front, so i simply raised my hand and rapped on the passenger window and gave him that typical 'what in ****ting crikey are you up to?' look, and he exasperatedly gestured at me to pass on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

outbound on the frascati road this morning, approaching the junction with seapoint avenue (it's a left turn for seapoint) - i go straight on here. anyway, three cars in front indicate left, so i slow a little to give space, and glance over my right shoulder. white van coming up from behind, and he's got his indicator on too. but he's seen me, yeah? bright orange top, flashing red light, and it's broad daylight. anyway, within a couple of seconds he's alongside me, pulling across the cycle lane.
    fortunately, we'd both had to slow down because of the traffic in front, so i simply raised my hand and rapped on the passenger window and gave him that typical 'what in ****ting crikey are you up to?' look, and he exasperatedly gestured at me to pass on.

I live a bit further out that road and regularly see motorists left hook cyclists there and at Monkstown Road just before The Butlers Pantry.

Lovely cycle lanes but they seem to confuse motorists as to who is going where (giving motorists the benefit of the doubt here).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, the one at the butlers pantry is a combined cyclist/pedestrian crossing, which i don't use - i usually swing out into the road and use the proper car lane. i'm outbound before 7:30am so there's usually not much traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Witnessed a close pass/clip this morning shortly after exiting the Phoenix Park. Just after the Infirmary Road junction a white Hyundai bull dozed through dangerously close to the cyclist 50m in front. So close in fact he hit him with his wing mirror which folded inwards, cyclist did well to stay upright. Driver continued on up the keys and only had a partial reg so thought I'd get the rest if caught in traffic. Sure enough he was a few hundred meters further up trying to turn right over the first bridge. I stopped on the left to note the reg and driver left the filter lane to transverse two lanes of traffic to have a go at me. Aggressive driver with no remorse and traffic was light so early in the morning so no need for such dangerous driving.

Incident reported now anyway whatever may come of it.

Never heard anything on this since.

This morning at the first roundabout on the Castleknock end of the Phoenix Park I was coming from the south taking the 3rd exit onto Chesterfield Avenue. Always a disaster junction with drivers not yielding but today was worse, in center of the road already having passed the first exit driver entered with speed. I let a roar at him in case he hadn’t already seen the strong front light, high vis etc and he jammed on coming to a stop near where I had already stopped. I cycled on taking an obvious look back at the reg and he floored it to side swipe me driving over the roundabout. He slowed down further up shouting abuse and veering into the hard shoulder where I was cycling.

As it transpires it’s the same reg and driver as above incident so second encounter reported now also. Hope the cyclist he hit a couple of weeks ago reported it also. A menace on the road and appears to have an obvious problem with cyclists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement