Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

As it transpires it’s the same reg and driver as above incident so second encounter reported now also. Hope the cyclist he hit a couple of weeks ago reported it also. A menace on the road and appears to have an obvious problem with cyclists.

Sounds like he has a problem full stop. Someone like that has no right to be on the road. Hopefully something comes of your second report.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Had my closest punishment pass on Monday for my 2 years on the road. Early morning solo, 2 lane road, no hard shoulders, clear road ahead and behind with a clear line of sight. Can hear car coming up behind and he zips past by with what was no doubt cm's. They never crossed the middle line or altered their speed. Only had time to catch it was an Audi A4/6 he was going so fast didn't catch the number plate. Had to pull in up the road as I thought I was a goner.

Road is extremely popular with cyclists, there has been rumblings in the local rags/politicians this year and I've no doubt it is leading to incidents like this. Thanks for the heads up on the Cycling Bargin alerts, have ordered a Fly6 camera. I'll be more prepared when running into this individual again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Never heard anything on this since.

FYI it took about 2 months for me to get a call from a Garda after reporting an incident with Trafficwatch, it's not a quick process.

well done for reporting though, sounds like awful behaviour from the motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Walking through Citywest this morning, a cyclist on the far side of the road approaches a roundabout here. A pretty large lorry decides to floor it and overtake, right at the pinch point, where the silver car is. I actually thought for a second the cyclist was a gonner as he disappeared behind the lorry.

Thankfully, as the lorry continued on the roundabout, the cyclist had come to a complete halt and was leaning toward the grass.

The mind boggles, it really does :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was running on Kilgobbin Road yesterday evening, teenage boy cycling along towards Stepaside. The amount of cars who overtook (solid white line) giving him no space whatsoever really, really scary. The kid couldn't have been anymore than 16...I mean I could clearly see him from where I was running and could see him well into the distance as car after car after car continued to overtake dangerously most of them barely crossed the solid white line. It gets to a pinch point up towards Stepaside too so god knows how he navigated that safely. Some of the cars were still waiting at the traffic lights when I got there too. Considering how much longer it takes me to run that than them to drive it, shows how pointless their overtake was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I was running on Kilgobbin Road yesterday evening, teenage boy cycling along towards Stepaside. The amount of cars who overtook (solid white line) giving him no space whatsoever really, really scary. The kid couldn't have been anymore than 16...I mean I could clearly see him from where I was running and could see him well into the distance as car after car after car continued to overtake dangerously most of them barely crossed the solid white line. It gets to a pinch point up towards Stepaside too so god knows how he navigated that safely. Some of the cars were still waiting at the traffic lights when I got there too. Considering how much longer it takes me to run that than them to drive it, shows how pointless their overtake was.

See this every morning when I cycle down the Carpenterstown Road. The odd kid who does cycle along it is subject to aggressive tailgating, crazy and irresponsible overtaking. Usually by motorists who insist on ferrying their own kids to the same school by car.

Have to say I’ve zero problem with kids on bikes using the footpaths around my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It's very surprising that there is no campaign by cyclists to change the charges against people who kill or severely injure people while driving.

Due to the kind of charge available to the Gardaí at the moment (and of course the fact that individual gardaí and people in the DPP office may be pro-motorist), these crashes disproportionally end with a suspended sentence.

An online search will quickly confirm how common suspended sentences are.

Why are cyclists not campaigning for a "Driving causing death" and a "Driving causing serious injury" charge that would carry a mandatory lifetime ban from driving (unless the crash was clearly and positively not in any way the driver's fault)?

Ditto road rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I passed by this earlier, a few mins after it happened.

the third car didn't end up on the footpath as described, it ended up on the cycle lane and was blocking it as I passed. hopefully no one was cycling there as it happened.

it looked like one of those crashes where you wonder how on earth people get themselves into the situation where the crash occurs. there was a car way over on the wrong side of the road which had collided with the truck, on a stretch where it's dual carriageway in both directions

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rechuchote wrote: »
    It's very surprising that there is no campaign by cyclists to change the charges against people who kill or severely injure people while driving.

Due to the kind of charge available to the Gardaí at the moment (and of course the fact that individual gardaí and people in the DPP office may be pro-motorist), these crashes disproportionally end with a suspended sentence.

An online search will quickly confirm how common suspended sentences are.

Why are cyclists not campaigning for a "Driving causing death" and a "Driving causing serious injury" charge that would carry a mandatory lifetime ban from driving (unless the crash was clearly and positively not in any way the driver's fault)?

you-must-be-the-change-you-wish-to-see-in-the-world-15.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Dublin Bus nearly took me out of it after Harolds Cross coming out of town. I was in the left lane, looking back and indicating right to go towards Kimmage. Dublin Bus comes flying up on the lane outside me and barges into my lane. I had to swerve into the footpath. If i didn't swerve i would have ended up underneath it.

I hate that spot along there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Not quite a near miss but a taxi slowed down to cut across and force me to a stop against the kerb so he could tell me that I should be on the cycle lane (one of those ones that is only about 10m long) because that stretch of road is very dangerous. I was so pissed off I just gave him the finger which I'm not very proud of and then spent the rest of the spin thinking of all the smart replies I should have given him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

P_1 wrote: »
    Interestingly I've noticed a garda at College Green who is insistent on directing you up that cycle lane by the BOI no matter which direction you want to go.

So I had this Garda this morning that you were talking about on College Street by the Trinity Luas stop asking cyclists to take the cycle track.

While I stopped behind a bus he looked at me and pointed at the cycle track. I looked back at him and pointed to the road straight on. We both danced like this about 5/6 times until the lights went green and the buses started moving. He then called me over as I was passing him and said for me to use the cycle track. I told him I was going to use the road and asked him what law was I breaking and informed him I'm fully legally entitled to use the road. He said he knows that and he was just saying it for safety reasons. I pointed out how I was using the road safely and had all the magic gear such as hi-vis and lights during the day to keep me safe plus good road positioning - middle of the lane etc. He suggested I didn't want to use the bike track because it would take longer so I had to explain to him why it was safer for me to stay on the road (e.g. how stupidly confusing the bike track layout is and people on the wrong side etc). He accepted what I said but I could see he didn't know how to back out of the conversation as he was clearly wrong. I was tempted to re-enforce how wrong he was to pull me aside as if I had done wrong (all the buses probably thought I was being given out to for breaking the law) and how he can suggest and point to the cycle track but should have stopped once I indicated I was staying on the road but it would have looked like the typical cyclist angry at poor Garda just trying to help. Instead I told him I appreciate where he is coming from (what he thinks is a road safety point of view) but that it is safer for me to stay on the road, which he accepted again, and left it at that. I don't know if he will keep doing it but if he pulls me aside again i'll be making a complaint.

Dublin Bus nearly took me out of it after Harolds Cross coming out of town. I was in the left lane, looking back and indicating right to go towards Kimmage. Dublin Bus comes flying up on the lane outside me and barges into my lane. I had to swerve into the footpath. If i didn't swerve i would have ended up underneath it.

I hate that spot along there.

I was going into town along there the other day and counted thirty (30!) cars in the bus lane, before and after Emmet Bridge. Also taxis and buses, of course.

There was a plan related to the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network to break cyclists out at Greenmount Avenue and shoot a cycle bridge across to the back of Griffith College here

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3262221,-6.2789699,332a,35y,39.36t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

(and presumably bring the cyclists through the Tenters along a safer and less trafficky route) but it seems to have been abandoned, stupidly. It would be a great cycle route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    Not quite a near miss but a taxi slowed down to cut across and force me to a stop against the kerb so he could tell me that I should be on the cycle lane (one of those ones that is only about 10m long) because that stretch of road is very dangerous. I was so pissed off I just gave him the finger which I'm not very proud of and then spent the rest of the spin thinking of all the smart replies I should have given him.
    The amount of times i've delivered the ultimate burn (in my head) after some flute has driven off is countless.
    Rechuchote wrote: »
    I was going into town along there the other day and counted thirty (30!) cars in the bus lane, before and after Emmet Bridge. Also taxis and buses, of course.

There was a plan related to the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network to break cyclists out at Greenmount Avenue and shoot a cycle bridge across to the back of Griffith College here

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3262221,-6.2789699,332a,35y,39.36t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

(and presumably bring the cyclists through the Tenters along a safer and less trafficky route) but it seems to have been abandoned, stupidly. It would be a great cycle route.

Same this morning. It was clogged all the way back with cars sticking as close to the kerb as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Not a near miss, but I was travelling south on Leeson Street this morning and stopped at the lights at the junction of Hatch Street. Light goes green for traffic to proceed on Leeson Street, and busses can't go and miss the light as a Garda Road Policing Unit is blocking the way having pulled into the middle of the junction as the light turned from amber to red. If they cant obey the lights, what hope have we with other traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Not a near miss but coming out of UCD across from RTE. Stopped at red light to junction with stilloan dual carriageway.

One car ahead of me wheels tight to the left kerb so expected them heading straight. I stopped behind them but to the right of the lane so as oncoming cars turning right can see there is a cyclist oncoming behind this car.

After a couple of minutes of waiting all while we are making eye contact when the lights go green she turns right without indicating at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Cyclist left hooked by a go-car driver just at the bottom of Rathmines heading away from the city, he was a bit shaken but seemed OK, driver very apologetic.

Not a near miss but coming out of UCD across from RTE. Stopped at red light to junction with stilloan dual carriageway.

One car ahead of me wheels tight to the left kerb so expected them heading straight. I stopped behind them but to the right of the lane so as oncoming cars turning right can see there is a cyclist oncoming behind this car.

After a couple of minutes of waiting all while we are making eye contact when the lights go green she turns right without indicating at any stage.

That's where Harry Boland was killed; a deadly junction that needs a redesign.
    papu wrote: »
    Cyclist left hooked by a go-car driver just at the bottom of Rathmines heading away from the city, he was a bit shaken but seemed OK, driver very apologetic.

Another horrible junction, and the drivers are concentrating on the curve ahead, and often going too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Outside the Talbot Hotel in Mount Merrion on the N11 this evening I saw a Taxi emerging with its bonnet blocking the cycle path and a cyclist standing right in front of it with his bike, making some sort of point. They seemed to be there for a few minutes with the cyclist refusing to move for a while until he had made his point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

homer911 wrote: »
    Outside the Talbot Hotel in Mount Merrion on the N11 this evening I saw a Taxi emerging with its bonnet blocking the cycle path and a cyclist standing right in front of it with his bike, making some sort of point. They seemed to be there for a few minutes with the cyclist refusing to move for a while until he had made his point

Probably giving out about the driver forcing him out of the bike lane. It happens though. Can be hard to see the road clearly without nosing out sometimes and it can just happen at the wrong time. Not a massive one for me when I'm cycling I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

axer wrote: »
    So I had this Garda this morning that you were talking about on College Street by the Trinity Luas stop asking cyclists to take the cycle track.

While I stopped behind a bus he looked at me and pointed at the cycle track. I looked back at him and pointed to the road straight on. We both danced like this about 5/6 times until the lights went green and the buses started moving. He then called me over as I was passing him and said for me to use the cycle track. I told him I was going to use the road and asked him what law was I breaking and informed him I'm fully legally entitled to use the road. He said he knows that and he was just saying it for safety reasons. I pointed out how I was using the road safely and had all the magic gear such as hi-vis and lights during the day to keep me safe plus good road positioning - middle of the lane etc. He suggested I didn't want to use the bike track because it would take longer so I had to explain to him why it was safer for me to stay on the road (e.g. how stupidly confusing the bike track layout is and people on the wrong side etc). He accepted what I said but I could see he didn't know how to back out of the conversation as he was clearly wrong. I was tempted to re-enforce how wrong he was to pull me aside as if I had done wrong (all the buses probably thought I was being given out to for breaking the law) and how he can suggest and point to the cycle track but should have stopped once I indicated I was staying on the road but it would have looked like the typical cyclist angry at poor Garda just trying to help. Instead I told him I appreciate where he is coming from (what he thinks is a road safety point of view) but that it is safer for me to stay on the road, which he accepted again, and left it at that. I don't know if he will keep doing it but if he pulls me aside again i'll be making a complaint.

It would be really interesting to see if he continues to push less educated and less assertive cyclists into the bike lane, despite the fact that you've educated him now.
    The amount of times i've delivered the ultimate burn (in my head) after some flute has driven off is countless.
    I find it's a bit of a 'groundhog day' situation, where you're basically have the same 'chat' with different drivers - whether it is the close pass or parking in the bike lane or whatever. If it didn't work out for you today, consider it a practice run for the next time you run into the same situation.
    VW 1 wrote: »
    Not a near miss, but I was travelling south on Leeson Street this morning and stopped at the lights at the junction of Hatch Street. Light goes green for traffic to proceed on Leeson Street, and busses can't go and miss the light as a Garda Road Policing Unit is blocking the way having pulled into the middle of the junction as the light turned from amber to red. If they cant obey the lights, what hope have we with other traffic.
    Ah here, they couldn't be expected to know that traffic would be busy on Leeson St in rush hour. Who'd have thunk it?
    homer911 wrote: »
    exc.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭andymann

Not a near miss, but at St. Vincent's on the Merrion Road yesterday there was a lad on his bike cycling away looking down at his phone and tapping away, occasionally glancing back up at the road. When I was cycling past him I let a roar at him to get off the phone. Was this the right thing to do, or should I have said nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

andymann wrote: »
    Not a near miss, but at St. Vincent's on the Merrion Road yesterday there was a lad on his bike cycling away looking down at his phone and tapping away, occasionally glancing back up at the road. When I was cycling past him I let a roar at him to get off the phone. Was this the right thing to do, or should I have said nothing?

Are you a guard? or a troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭andymann

Chiparus wrote: »
    Are you a guard? or a troll?

I'm just another cyclist.

andymann wrote: »

Perhaps not a roar, but just as you might tap on a driver's window and point to the phone or do the "I'm on the phone" hand-to-ear-with-thumb-and-pinkie-extended gesture, you would certainly be right to say "Eyes on the road, not on the phone".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I let out a yell once in vaguely similar circumstances, but he was wobbling and being a danger/inconvenience to other cyclists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Heart in mouth moment near the airport coming from Kilshane cross today. Had a truck overtake me at fairly high speed, followed by a car in behind.

They gave me ample room, but the oncoming car had to slow right down. I had tried signalling to them to hold off. 5 seconds is all they had to wait.

As much as I don't want to be injured, i fear the day I witness when one of these maneuvers results in disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

A near miss of sorts by...2 club cyclists!!! So I'm finishing up my 65k spin, not a near miss in sight! tipping along the Old Swords Road heading for home in Santry just opposite the Cheauffer\CarWash place beside Airways Ind Est there's a MASSIVE pot hole in the bus lane, but these 2 decide to pass me right now and leave no room for me to move out..... I had to do my best Sagan impression and try bunny hop over said pot hole.....

Torres09 wrote: »
    A near miss of sorts by...2 club cyclists!!! So I'm finishing up my 65k spin, not a near miss in sight! tipping along the Old Swords Road heading for home in Santry just opposite the Cheauffer\CarWash place beside Airways Ind Est there's a MASSIVE pot hole in the bus lane, but these 2 decide to pass me right now and leave no room for me to move out..... I had to do my best Sagan impression and try bunny hop over said pot hole.....

Grass them up to their club - and report the pothole here http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-road-maintenance-and-street-repair/repair-road-or-footpath (or paint "BOBY SANDS, HERO OF THE I.R.A." on it) to get it fixed fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

close pass Dublin bus today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement