Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Down in Wexford a few days and putting a few hundred kilometres (on the car odometer :( ) travelling around. Great to see the 1.5m signs all over the place, even on very rural roads. Had some young fella in a lowered corolla Tailgating for a few kilometres. I slowed right down at one point to overtake a cyclist, but he just breezed past him without moving out at all and then took his (very poor) opportunity to overtake me too, burnt off into the distance... and right past a speed van.

If you were out for a spin on the R733 near Tintern Abbey today, that guy was a d*ck, but now he’s a d*ck with a fine and points :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Down in Wexford a few days and putting a few hundred kilometres (on the car odometer :( ) travelling around. Great to see the 1.5m signs all over the place, even on very rural roads. Had some young fella in a lowered corolla Tailgating for a few kilometres. I slowed right down at one point to overtake a cyclist, but he just breezed past him without moving out at all and then took his (very poor) opportunity to overtake me too, burnt off into the distance... and right past a speed van.

If you were out for a spin on the R733 near Tintern Abbey today, that guy was a d*ck, but now he’s a d*ck with a fine and points :D

It's nice to think that there may be some sort of karma. My wife and I were waiting to cross at a pedestrian lights yesterday evening and a radio stations large American truck broke the lights, and turned across in front of us as we got the green man. I just pointed at the lights and the driver started gesticulating at me. Karma hit the driver full force as a Garda was just around the corner standing watching it unfold and pulled him in. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Heard of a teenager in surgery today. Car overtook him, then squeezed him to avoid oncoming, causing teenager to collide with the rear of the car. Driver apparently made the kid swap details, then left the lad on the side of the road.

Kid had to call his parents for a lift, who brought him to hospital where he had ****ed up his shoulder.

Driver has been ringing the parents to request payment for damage to his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

site_owner wrote: »
    Heard of a teenager in surgery today. Car overtook him, then squeezed him to avoid oncoming, causing teenager to collide with the rear of the car. Driver apparently made the kid swap details, then left the lad on the side of the road.

Kid had to call his parents for a lift, who brought him to hospital where he had ****ed up his shoulder.

Well, the parents have the driver's details, and their son has suffered a personal injury, so...

Type 17 wrote: »
    Well, the parents have the driver's details, and their son has suffered a personal injury, so...

And te driver left the scene of an accident.

• Advertisement

Jesus wept I've heard it all now :mad:

What was the age range was the drive as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Straight to the gardai with that. Dangerous driving and intimidation etc. Scumbag.

EDIT: Is what the parents should be doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Boilermaker

Straight to the gardai with that. Dangerous driving and intimidation etc. Scumbag.

Well done for jumping to conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

close pass Dublin bus today

Just to save you the hassle of submitting it to Dublin Bus, here is their stock reply.
    The safety of our customers, staff, pedestrians and other road users is our primary concern. We are committed to the highest standards of safety and our Safety Manager monitors and reviews all practices to ensure we provide a safe and efficient service across the network. It is compulsory for all our drivers to attend the annual Road Safety Authority approved Certificate of Professional Competence.

All reports regarding unsafe driving are taken very seriously and investigated thoroughly. From the information you have provided me with I have been able to identify the driver involved. Whatever action is deemed necessary to prevent a recurrence will be taken.

We appreciate our customers letting us know if they have experienced an issue with our services and thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention.

amcalester wrote: »
    Just to save you the hassle of submitting it to Dublin Bus, here is their stock reply.

I lol'd at "We appreciate our customers letting us know if they have experienced an issue with our services and thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention"

Wasn't aware you had to pay for a close pass from a DB , site_owner must have been within leap card scanning range so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I suspected that was the case but have you the law that states it handy?

Google is a great place to search for laws, facts and other great stuff.

Sums it all up. It’s all about the motorist and their previous metal cage.

What a low life!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Perhaps it is just me, but I fail to see the leap in logic that Alanstrainor has made to warrant an accusation of jumping to conclusions? Based on the description available to him (and you and me) in the first quoted post, and the current absence of any contradictory description of the incident, it's a fair assessment and summary.....

You do realise this is a cycling forum? Based on what was posted, the driver caused the incident. If you don’t get that, then maybe you need to read and learn the rules of the road ? Let the GardaÍ decide the facts based on evidence. In any event, the driver seems to have no moral compass!

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    You do realise this is a cycling forum? Based on what was posted, the driver caused the incident. If you don’t get that, then maybe you need to read and learn the rules of the road ? Let the GardaÍ decide the facts based on evidence. In any event, the driver seems to have no moral compass!

There is two sides to every story, simple as. I wouldn't like any of the recent posters to be on a jury.

There is two sides to every story, simple as. I wouldn't like any of the recent posters to be on a jury.

The chances of a teenager crashing into a car and doing in their shoulder while the car is overtaking is zero. You know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Surely we should be looking for a) the return of the Accident Black Spot notices, with strict rules on when they had to be put up (eg three crashes in the same place over a year), but also b) a law stringently enforced and with large fines for councils who don't obey it, but funding to help them to obey it, which would mandate fixing the cause of the Accident Black Spot within a year of the notice being posted up.

There are indeed two sides to every story, but sometimes those two sides are the right one and the wrong one!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I hope the mods let us keep you. You might be fun to play with.

The chances of a teenager crashing into a car and doing in their shoulder while the car is overtaking is zero. You know that.

Was the bike functioning properly? I heard of a case where a cyclist hit into the side of a car when they were going down a hill, the car breaked to turn but the cyclist did not have functioning breaks.
    Had the insurance known the bike didn't have functioning breaks, I'm sure the wouldn't have paid out for the injuries which were substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rake of idiots on the R755 today, everyone else was on good behavior.

• Advertisement

Was the bike functioning properly? I heard of a case where a cyclist hit into the side of a car when they were going down a hill, the car breaked to turn but the cyclist did not have functioning breaks.
    Had the insurance known the bike didn't have functioning breaks, I'm sure the wouldn't have paid out for the injuries which were substantial.

Please stop this stupidness. He was hit by an overtaking car.

Cool story, bro.

Please stop this stupidness. He was hit by an overtaking car.

Sorry I forgot you are a collision investigator, I think I'll wait till your full report before making my mind up.
    You're awfully biased thought, try keep in mind that us cyclists are not always the victim.

I was talking to a guy in a bar and he told me ...(fill in the rest as you wish)...

Sorry I forgot you are a collision investigator, I think I'll wait till your full report before making my mind up.
    You're awfully biased thought, try keep in mind that us cyclists are not always the victim.

The way you presented your made up story makes it sound like the driver was in the wrong. Maybe you should have tried harder to present the imaginary cyclist in a bad light?

The way you presented your made up story makes it sound like the driver was in the wrong. Maybe you should have tried harder to present the imaginary cyclist in a bad light?

I should have stated it was a teenager on a BMX, who think that using their feet as breaks is better than using the breaks on their bike.

Afraid not, pm me your name, address and phone number and I'll put you in touch .

No interest. I honestly don’t think you have a clue what your are saying in your posts. Why would I even want to give you that information ?

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    No interest. I honestly don’t think you have a clue what your are saying in your posts. Why would I even want to give you that information ?

Don't accuse me of telling an untrue story then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I should have stated it was a teenager on a BMX, who think that using their feet as breaks is better than using the breaks on their bike.
    That was in the report was it?

• Advertisement

There is no need for bias, and why would I be? I drive more than I cycle.

When a car is overtaking and a cyclist is hit, it means that the driver could not have made a safe manoeuvre and therefore is at fault. If it was a safe manoeuvre then there would not have been a collision. Think about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement