Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

site_owner wrote: »
    i generally feel that drivers are a bit more cautious when they see the trailer. but not always.
    i have a 2 and a 5 year old in there, its school run time, i just want to get my kids to school.

at a junction, into oncoming traffic, straight into a pinch point.

Thst junctions a pain the backside since they put the filter lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Duckjob wrote: »
    I can normally keep my cool in most situations of me being put at risk by idiots on the road, but them putting my daughter at risk is one thing that I know could incite me to violent acts in a millisecond. For that reason, I deliberately avoid having her out with me anywhere we would be likely to encounter these cretins.

It's an odd one, isnt it? I recently got a hamax seat for my 2 year old and she absolutely loves being out on the bike, but I'm in a completely different mindset when she's with me as opposed to commuting on my own.

Reminds me of the guy on the late late describing how he gave a bike with trailer lots of space but was shocked to see afterwards there was tools in the trailer as opposed to a child - as if he had wasted his time and considered the cyclist's safety irrelevant. My first reaction was "why should he act different in any way", but I too am a completely different cyclist with her on the bike, which now makes me think about self-preservation a bit more and wonder why I'm not as cautious when alone. I'm not wreckless of course, and it's safer (and easier) to pick up a bit of pace without her, but interesting nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

CramCycle wrote: »
    I would say that and move out, they think you are indicating if they don't understand and hopefully won't go for the overtake

I had started to do that two weeks as an experiment ( I was getting way too many close and dangerous passes). It works. I would say some of the drivers get a real shock you are pulling out and it turns the tables on them. Prior that that, as far as they are concerned, it’s their private road....

#suchagoodfeeling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Had a van driver go through a red light this morning at fruit market, not paying attention at all. He was slow moving, not a near miss, but I shouted at him. And then again. And then again. And again. And nothing. Saw red, slapped the side of the van. No reaction. Another shout. Finally got his attention and he was all apologies. Sun was in his eyes, he didn't see me. :confused:

More surprisingly, some fat pr*ck on a fork lift, who had gone through the orange light in front of the van, had decided to pull a U-Turn and come back to interject with "he had the light". Somehow this guy knew that the van behind him had a green light and felt the need to come to the defence of a poor van driver he didn't know. Obviously I was a little riled up at this stage as I shouted "You're not involved, f*ck off" :o

All the shouting attracted some onlookers, and once again someone not involved decides to tell me as I rode away that I shouldnt be cycling with headphones as "you can't hear drivers beeping at you". I wish they were turned up louder and I hadnt heard them, that statement is so utterly stupid.

I'm gonna be in a bad mood all day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Had a van driver go through a red light this morning at fruit market, not paying attention at all. He was slow moving, not a near miss, but I shouted at him. And then again. And then again. And again. And nothing. Saw red, slapped the side of the van. No reaction. Another shout. Finally got his attention and he was all apologies. Sun was in his eyes, he didn't see me. :confused:

More surprisingly, some fat pr*ck on a fork lift, who had gone through the orange light in front of the van, had decided to pull a U-Turn and come back to interject with "he had the light". Somehow this guy knew that the van behind him had a green light and felt the need to come to the defence of a poor van driver he didn't know. Obviously I was a little riled up at this stage as I shouted "You're not involved, f*ck off" :o

All the shouting attracted some onlookers, and once again someone not involved decides to tell me as I rode away that I shouldnt be cycling with headphones as "you can't hear drivers beeping at you". I wish they were turned up louder and I hadnt heard them, that statement is so utterly stupid.

URGH.

I hate encounters like that that you can't help but dwell on.

Just remember, they are the d*cks!

• Advertisement

Cycling through Ranelagh yesterday evening, and the car ahead suddenly veers into the cycle lane. Luckily I was well back. As I passed I looked in to see a young lad of about 18 with no hands on the wheel at all having a great laugh with his passenger as they both looked at their phones. White car with a red logo branded with 'Dooleys' I think. Looked online but couldn't find such a company.

They were probably texting each other rather than speaking, such is life these days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Vel wrote: »
    Cycling through Ranelagh yesterday evening, and the car ahead suddenly veers into the cycle lane. Luckily I was well back. As I passed I looked in to see a young lad of about 18 with no hands on the wheel at all having a great laugh with his passenger as they both looked at their phones. White car with a red logo branded with 'Dooleys' I think. Looked online but couldn't find such a company.

They were probably texting each other rather than speaking, such is life these days!!!

Just did a 5 sec search, first thing that appears when you type Dooley's in, is a car rental company in Dublin!

Just did a 5 sec search, first thing that appears when you type Dooley's in, is a car rental company in Dublin!

Yeah I saw that but his branding is completely different!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Dooley Windows? Dooley Architects? Dooleys of Edmonstown? Hang down your head, Tom Dooley?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Jesus , you really know you’re having a bad day on a bike when a fat pr*ck on a forklift chases you up the road to give you a mouthful .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

So many examples of RLJ and box blocking from my commute.
    This one from yesterday was particularly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

papu wrote: »
    So many examples of RLJ and box blocking from my commute.
    This one from yesterday was particularly bad.

I run that route often and cars constantly break the lights as there is 5 second delay between one is red and the other goes green.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I run that route often and cars constantly break the lights as there is 5 second delay between one is red and the other goes green.

5 seconds seems like a lifetime when in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

5 seconds seems like a lifetime when in a car.

1 - - - 2 - - - 3 - - - 4 - - - 5

Yep...and eternity.

Tonight at Leopardstown I seen vehicles stop at red, only to decide to go again and clearly cross a junction with the red lamp lit. One vehicle was a HGV (skip collection vehicle), and it along with about 5 other vehicles, all went through a pedestrian crossing that had a lamp lit Green, just to stop on the other side at another red light...

...just another abnormally normal sight on our roads

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Must have been a full moon or something today. I stopped to ask one guy why he pulled out across the cycle lane, blocking the bike lane, just as three cyclists (two in hi-vis) came along from his right. An elderly gent walking past couldn't resist saying some nonsense about cyclists and red lights. I asked him if he saw me breaking red lights, and when he said he did, I told him he was a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

The numpties were out today in Brussels. First up was a guy speeding up to try and overtake me before a roundabout when he didn't have enough time to do so. When I looked at him and entered the roundabout first, he rolled his window down and shouted something after me.

Then, as I was turning onto a street from the main road, I go into the path of a motorbike waiting at junction to join main road, forcing him to wait for me to pass. Motorcyclist revved his engine in threatening fashion and mouthed off something.

Finally, a guy pulled out from another street straight in front of me, and we had one of those long stare-offs, and he beeped at me as he was driving away.

They are unbelievable here. No respect for other people on the roads, and they never want to admit fault. I don't even know if they realise what they're doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

nialljf wrote: »
    The numpties were out today in Brussels. First up was a guy speeding up to try and overtake me before a roundabout when he didn't have enough time to do so. When I looked at him and entered the roundabout first, he rolled his window down and shouted something after me.

Then, as I was turning onto a street from the main road, I go into the path of a motorbike waiting at junction to join main road, forcing him to wait for me to pass. Motorcyclist revved his engine in threatening fashion and mouthed off something.

Finally, a guy pulled out from another street straight in front of me, and we had one of those long stare-offs, and he beeped at me as he was driving away.

They are unbelievable here. No respect for other people on the roads, and they never want to admit fault. I don't even know if they realise what they're doing...
    The most dangerous piece of driving I have ever seen in my life was on the Motorway outside Brussels. Three lanes of traffic, all doing 130 or so, all barely giving room, as they do over there, and merging in gaps the width of their car. 
    Then to top it off, this lad in an Audi comes rattling up the hard shoulder, doing at least 30km more than everyone else, weaves from the hard shoulder to the left-most lane, and then back again as he speeds on, never touched an indicator or a brake. And no-one around me seemed in the least bit surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I wonder if that Audi lad is any relation to the Audi fellow I saw yesterday. A van is just ahead of me and it starts to slow as it approaches a right turn for a building supplies yard. Audi dude behind me decides that *now* is a good time to overtake the van *on the right* :eek::eek:

Not smart Audi dude. Not smart at all. A lot of screeching brakes and disaster was averted. Just.

Bear in mind that this was all on the way into a junction with a variety of sequences, so no advantage to be gained overtaking at this point at all (even if it didn't nearly cause a crash). I wonder sometimes how far ahead some people are planning as they tootle around. I'm thinking some people don't think further than the end of their bonnet at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

not me today, but i thought the kid coming through the junction was given hardly any room by the BMW turning left. at least they didnt overtake him, but i reckon they might have if the minivan hadnt been in front seeing how close they were to his back wheel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

not me today, but i thought the kid coming through the junction was given hardly any room by the BMW turning left. at least they didnt overtake him, but i reckon they might have if the minivan hadnt been in front seeing how close they were to his back wheel.

I would have said the van in front was a greater risk, it is hard to tell a cyclists speed or if they plan to yield (maybe the cyclist had yielded) but I wouldn't have went, right of way or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I don't see any issue with the BMW, the minivan though was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

You must be new to this cycling lark. Do you not know we're not supposed to stop at red lights!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Felexicon wrote: »
    You must be new to this cycling lark. Do you not know we're not supposed to stop at red lights!

I have hod local inner city youths run across the road to let me know this, and a van driver once getting out of his van as he thought I stopped at the red light to p1ss him off. I hear many motorist friends who don't cycle who actually believe that cyclists are the same as pedestrians and are allowed break lights if they do so safely ?!? They look at me as if I am a bit simple when I inform them.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

check_six wrote: »
    I wonder sometimes how far ahead some people are planning as they tootle around. I'm thinking some people don't think further than the end of their bonnet at best.

This, a thousand times! The way people are driving, and cycling in the city these days makes it seem like no one looks beyond the car or bike in front of them. Well, almost no one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not a near miss per se, more a WTF moment.
    just about half an hour ago, inbound on the clontarf road - i take a right onto the malahide road.

anyway, i do my usual check and indicate just as i'm passing the bottom of the howth road or thereabouts. there's a white car behind me, but he's a good bit back, so i indicate clearly and pull out of the bus lane, across the middle lane, and into the right turning lane for the malahide road. plenty of time, traffic is light and there were only three or four cars ahead queuing to turn right onto the malahide road. as i'm about 50m from the back of that queue, approaching it and slowing down, the white car came past me - on my right - carrying a stupid amount of speed; he actually overtook me, with oncoming traffic. i was briefly convinced he was going to smash into the back of the car in front of us, but he stood on the brakes hard enough that the car visibly squirreled under braking, and came to a stop just in time.

i realised as i approached that what i thought was an open passenger window was actually the driver's window - it was a LHD car - and gave an incredulous 'are you some sort of idiot?'
    i got an impassioned 'F*** YOU! F*** YOU!' in response, so i decided to keep going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, i've just checked the satellite view; there's a hatched area between the inbound and outbound lanes there, so that's probably the road space he used up overtaking me, rather than the oncoming lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Punishment pass just now on the Hazelhatch Road into Celbridge. Just after the right hand turn passed the roundabout at the train station. Doing about 40km/h, nothing coming on the other side of the road, car pulls up along side me within a few inches, matches my speed, beeps twice and points at the shared path beside us and then slowly continues on his way. If he'd have clipped me at that speed I would have been off to visit Tallaght hospital again! Really need to invest in a camera...

I don't know what it is about that road but it's the only place I ever seem to have any trouble with other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Had a wtf moment this morning, having just set off for work, round about 8.20am. Long fairly straight downhill stretch, with cars parked along the other side of the road leaving enough room for two cars to pass, or one bus + car and not much more room after that. It's a steep enough hill and I can exceed the speed-limit on a mountain bike (30mph/50kph) with not an awful lot of extra effort. So I'm giving it some fair pace down the road and have moved out into the middle of the lane as it's simply not safe to overtake in any way shape or form on a good day. Bus is pulled in on the other side of the road for passengers, with about four, maybe five cars stacked up behind it waiting to overtake when clear or for the bus to move off. Except car #2 decides to swing right out completely into the opposite lane without looking and just floor it up the hill from a dead-stop, directly at me as I'm fast approaching. Not even a "oops, my bad" gesture or anything, just absolute self-entitlement. And for what? She'd only make it to the top of the road which is a rather busy T junction at the best of times, with a pedestrian zebra crossing and a load of school kids all using it every morning. So not going far without having to stop anyway.

Edit: google street view
    I'm round about where the street view is, with the bus stop visible on the right. Not an awful lot of distance bearing in mind I'm near the speed limit already at this point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭randomname2005

De Bhál wrote: »
    I don't see any issue with the BMW, the minivan though was wrong

I think this is one of those situations where there is not enough information to judge either way. Did the minivan indicate before the cyclist got close in which case the cyclist would have to wait? Had the BMW done the same and the cyclist filtered up the inside anyway? Did both indicate too close to the junction? Had they both indicated clearly and early and the cyclist filtered down the inside despite this, and perhaps the light having turned green? Maybe two or three parties did something wrong?

<I stopped cycling to work because of safety and time, so not anti cyclist, but anti cyclists are always in the right>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement