Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ED E wrote: »
    Its amazing how without even putting much attention into it you instantly know the idiot that'll nose out directly in front of you.

And to think in my case above the motorist reckoned there’s no need for a strobe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    And to think in my case above the motorist reckoned there’s no need for a strobe.

I am 6'1, a bald patch that reflects light at just the right intensity for visibility and eyes that would light up the darkest room, if only she'd looked, we both would have had a better morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Coming up Kilinney Hill Road from Shankill. Almost at the village. Some bellend reving the engine as she couldn't pass.

See eventfully passes over a sold white line and I say she missed me by mm. I was collecting myself as there was a bit of a wobble and she clipped an on coming car.

The two people in the car had words. She was blaming me.

I passed her.

She then got back in the car and over took me. Waited at the roundabout and started accusing me of causing the accident. I pointed out she nearly knocked me over, passed on a solid white line and was on the wrong side of the road when she collided with the other car and I just cycled off.

She had a brand new Kona. Scrape damage on the rear door/pack panel. Probably cost thousands to fix. I'd say the car was only off the forecourt.

Tough ****. Learn how to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

site_owner wrote: »
    and a taxi man trying to run me off the road and give me a piece of his mind out his window at malahide.
    according to strava i averaged 43kph from portmarnock to malahide and he was barely behind me at all before he started closing in

sorry for the terrible video editing

That's literally the exact spot where the same thing happened to me - by a guy driving a silver taxi too. I posted about it on here. I wonder if it's the same taxi driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

godtabh wrote: »
    She had a brand new Kona. Scrape damage on the rear door/pack panel. Probably cost thousands to fix. I'd say the car was only off the forecourt.

I thought a "Kona" was a bike? :confused:

Interesting to see an instant karmic feedback loop going on in that incident. Do you think the driver learnt anything from it? I wonder what their version of the event is in their head (they've got to try and justify themselves somehow, right?).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

road when she collided with the other car and I just cycled off.

I'd like to think that I'd have the will to take her details, hand them to the other driver and let her insurer know. Least she'd deserve

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

check_six wrote: »
    I thought a "Kona" was a bike? :confused:
    hyundai make a car called the kona.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

hyundai make a car called the kona.

Thats the one. Brand new 181 with a high reg number.

I had a laugh at her when she said the road wasnt suitable for bikes. Try telling that to the hundreds of cyclists who use it every day!

Road wasnt suitable for drivers like her

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Coming up Kilinney Hill Road from Shankill. Almost at the village. Some bellend reving the engine as she couldn't pass.

See eventfully passes over a sold white line and I say she missed me by mm. I was collecting myself as there was a bit of a wobble and she clipped an on coming car.

I passed her.

She then got back in the car and over took me. Waited at the roundabout and started accusing me of causing the accident. I pointed out she nearly knocked me over, passed on a solid white line and was on the wrong side of the road when she collided with the other car and I just cycled off.

What an absolute moron. Glad you're okay, hopefully they realise their mistake, but I doubt it...

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'd like to think that I'd have the will to take her details, hand them to the other driver and let her insurer know. Least she'd deserve

I wasnt going to stop.

My uncle used to always tell me that if there is an issue between my and a women walk away as if there is any confrontation (or a made up one) due to my size and my neo-nazi hair cur I'd be assumed to be the aggressor. He's a garda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I passed her.

That is simply beautiful. It's exactly how I wished all my close passes ended up

I would have pointed to my lights even if it didn't have a camera and told her I had it all on camera and that both reg's were on there and that I'd pass her's on to the other driver and watch her poop :P

Ah yes the errant motorist who manages to fcuk their car up, but somehow it’s the cyclists fault.

Reminded me of a similar encounter I had while commuting on the strawberry beds a few years back

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057125981/1/#post88490012

Still makes me chuckle

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Ah yes the errant motorist who manages to fcuk their car but somehow it’s the cyclists fault.

Reminded me of a similar encounter I had while commuting in the strawberry beds a few years back

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057125981/1/#post88490012

Still makes me chuckle

I regularly cycle Beaver Row towards Donnybrook and it's the same story. It's a slight downhill so I'm usually bombing along at close to or above 40km/h in the centre of the lane but sometimes some spa HAS to pass only to have to slow right down for fear of going airborne at the next ramp. I have never been slower than a car across the length of that road. It's lovely seeing someone almost tear the arse off their car in those situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

benjamin d wrote: »
    I regularly cycle Beaver Row towards Donnybrook and it's the same story.

Beaver Row isn't a road, it's a car park. I pity the disabled people who need to get wheelchairs or walkers along that road: they have the choice between trying to scrape along between all the cars parked halfway across the southeast pavement or trying to wheel along beside the badly maintained sticky-outy greenery on the northwest pavement, with its high kerb and no dishing, should they wish to take their lives in their hands and try to cross. What a kludge of a road plan.

Though the little metal bridge is truly gorgeous. And the plan for the Dodder Greenway envisages a path along above the entrancing weir and waterfall…

Rechuchote wrote: »

Beaver Row isn't a road, it's a car park.

It's pretty awful alright but I have some sympathy for the residents parking there considering it's a narrow row of probably 200-year-old cottages that has become a fairly major throughway. It would be fairer to remove the through traffic to give over to the parking IMO - maybe by reconfiguring Eglinton Road and rerouting cars that way, which could leave Beaver Row as a lovely quietway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

benjamin d wrote: »
    It's pretty awful alright but I have some sympathy for the residents parking there considering it's a narrow row of probably 200-year-old cottages that has become a fairly major throughway. It would be fairer to remove the through traffic to give over to the parking IMO - maybe by reconfiguring Eglinton Road and rerouting cars that way, which could leave Beaver Row as a lovely quietway :)

Hahaha
    Residents would be more likely to pay barristers to campaign to turn their road into a motorway before a quiet way if the recent situation is anything to go by

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I gave up on Beaver Row years ago. Not pleasant to cycle on it. Eglington Road, though not perfect, is way better.

Hahaha
    Residents would be more likely to pay barristers to campaign to turn their road into a motorway before a quiet way if the recent situation is anything to go by

Yeah I know, which is such a pity as it's a lick of paint and a handful of bollards off being a perfectly logical extension to the Dodder path from Milltown. It could probably be done for a 5 figure sum! It could save a packet for the Dodder Greenway plans.

Hahaha

True but it would make sense, one way from Business park down to the N11, with a short two way stretch for buses, workers and the apartments behind the depot at the N11 end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

it absolutely would be a great thing.

I was making reference to the last weeks quietway council meaning in SDCC that made it sound like quietways would signal the end of the world as we know it.

http://irishcycle.com/2018/05/16/why-did-some-dublin-councillors-vote-against-a-cycle-route/

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

I was cycling down collins ave towards the end of killister 5pm today. Lovely day and a great cylce until I noticed a car was way to close behind me while I was doing 30kpm. I was on basically getting pushed into the double yellows lines and I thought the car would move out to the right to over take.

Nope, car kept going straight. I realised about second before the car was going into me. I manged to move my body and bike slightly more to the left and them the wing mirror hit my leg and handle. Thankfully I saw it coming and prepared for the hit so after a great wobble I stayed on the bike. Gave the car a blast with my air zound and they didn't stop.

Caught up to the car to find a middle aged woman who didn't realise she hit me. I let rip into her as she said I didn't she you and I wasn't paying attention. Haven't got that angry in a while but I haven't been hit in about 3 years and realised she didn't give a **** so cycled away.

Is there anything you can do in situations like this as I didn't come off the bike or there was no damage? :confused:

The positive side is that afterwards the next 30 minutes of the cycle I got done in 20 minutes with the adrenaline rush :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you got her reg, report her to the gardai.

Weepsie wrote: »
    If you got her reg, report her to the gardai.

Only thought of that now, during the adrenaline rush all rational thoughts went out the window. I did say some harsh stuff at the window so I would hope she got the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

moloner4 wrote: »
    Caught up to the car to find a middle aged woman who didn't realise she hit me. I let rip into her as she said I didn't she you and I wasn't paying attention. Haven't got that angry in a while but I haven't been hit in about 3 years and realised she didn't give a **** so cycled away.

Is there anything you can do in situations like this as I didn't come off the bike or there was no damage? :confused:

You can report her to the Gardaí; while you have her you can just say very quietly: "You're really lucky you didn't kill me."

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

it absolutely would be a great thing.

I was making reference to the last weeks quietway council meaning in SDCC that made it sound like quietways would signal the end of the world as we know it.

http://irishcycle.com/2018/05/16/why-did-some-dublin-councillors-vote-against-a-cycle-route/

I saw someone on a Journal comment this evening declare that the next cycle protest he would participate in was going to involve every bike rider leaving the bike at home that day and taking the car out instead. He has a point!

Rechuchote wrote: »
    You can report her to the Gardaí; while you have her you can just say very quietly: "You're really lucky you didn't kill me."

I did say that, she replied that I wouldn't have died if i fell. She was a cow.

I saw someone on a Journal comment this evening declare that the next cycle protest he would participate in was going to involve every bike rider leaving the bike at home that day and taking the car out instead. He has a point!

I said the same to a work colleague who was moaning about his just shy of 3km commute by car the other morning. He reckons it’d be a lot quicker if cyclists behaved like other vehicles and waited behind him, rather than “skipping the queue” up his left and at the advance bike box.

I suggested that he had a point, those cyclists should all jump back in their cars. Those that have “skipped the queue” would now all become 20% full cars in front of him.

The concept seemed to blow his mind.

BTW I agree on the cyclists driving protest. Maybe a big sticker on the back of the car that says “my other vehicle is a bike”.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

I said the same to a work colleague who was moaning about his just shy of 3km commute by car the other morning. He reckons it’d be a lot quicker if cyclists behaved like other vehicles and waited behind him, rather than “skipping the queue” up his left and at the advance bike box.

I suggested that he had a point, those cyclists should all jump back in their cars. Those that have “skipped the queue” would now all become 20% full cars in front of him.

The concept seemed to blow his mind.

BTW I agree on the cyclists driving protest. Maybe a big sticker on the back of the car that says “my other vehicle is a bike”.

3km car commute,bloody hell! It would probably be quicker to walk..

• Advertisement

3km car commute,bloody hell! It would probably be quicker to walk..

Walking at a slow speed he would be 40 minutes, cycling at a slow speed he would be 12 minutes. Unless you live somewhere with zero traffic, driving is an idiotic way to go. All my examples are, barring physical issues, at the extreme side of slow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement