Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

Driving protest would be something now if you could get numbers involved. The ones who don't drive onto the luas or bus etc though I'd not envy them on that as there are better laws for transporting cattle than people on public transport in this country.

EDIT: Could be parking issues too when everyday driver eventually gets in to find his parking spot occupied by a new comer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Sillan coaches driver pulled right across me going southbound over O'Connell bridge when I was on a Dublin bike this morning , he passed me so closely that I gave the side of the bus a few good thumps with an open palm hand.

The maneuver didnt even get him anywhere as he was stopped behind a dublin bus at the bus stop on the bridge. I asked him what the hell he was doing forcing me off the road, only to stop 20m further on, he said he indicated :rolleyes:

I wish I was on my road bike with front and rear cameras and not a dublin bike so I could go to Traffic watch.
    Got a picture of the driver and the coach reg number,and have sent an email complaint to Sillan Coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

papu wrote: »
    Sillan coaches driver pulled right across me going southbound over O'Connell bridge when I was on a Dublin bike this morning , he passed me so closely that I gave the side of the bus a few good thumps with an open palm hand.

The maneuver didnt even get him anywhere as he was stopped behind a dublin bus at the bus stop on the bridge. I asked him what the hell he was doing forcing me off the road, only to stop 20m further on, he said he indicated :rolleyes:

I wish I was on my road bike with front and rear cameras and not a dublin bike so I could go to Traffic watch.
    Got a picture of the driver and the coach reg number,and have sent an email complaint to Sillan Coaches.
    Go to Traffic watch anyway. You don't need footage to make a complaint and they might retrieve footage from the coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

If you wear a helmet you can mount one or even two cameras. I use this occasionally when the drivers seem to be in a crazy mood: cheap 'n' cheerful. If you're going to be wearing it in the rain, get the waterproof case with it, as it doesn't like rain: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobius-Action-Camera-1080P-Sports/dp/B00DP1WYD2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1527067762&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mobius+camera&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Haven't had too much to report in a decent while, but I had a few yesterday. One was especially annoying, the kind of chap that leans on his horn on approach, opens his window and starts shouting mid overtake then hits the brakes as if to stop and confront. Now he didn't, but he did seem like he was going to. I felt it was a close and dangerous one when it happened, but on review of the footage it didn't seem so bad. I was surprised as it was at around 4pm so I thought the roads would be calm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I thought the roads would be calm.

The roads are always calm. It's the eejits on them that aren't.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buzzed by a jerkwad in a jaguar on the stocking lane bridge. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Cycling up to a T junction today. There are 2 lanes going up the 'leg'. A left turn lane and a right turn lane. I was on the left hand side of the left turn lane. The cyclist in front of me indicated and moved into the right turn lane.

I guess the car coming along in the right hand lane couldn't bear losing time sitting behind him so instead of overtaking him she drove between us. Came very close to me, wasn't sure how close she got to the other cyclist until I heard him swearing. The best thing was that of course the light was red, and she had pulled that manoeuvre only to have to stop about 7 or 8 metres later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Got hit today. Car turned right in front of me whilst I was in the cycle lane going straight, managed to avoid getting creamed by braking heavily and turning right, still glanced off the rear quarter of the car and stayed upright. No injuries, no damage to the bike or car.

Driver legged it, caught up with him, told me I should have stopped cause he was "following the flow of traffic" along with calling me every ***** ***** (in front of his kids) then he drove off. Called the Gardai had a chat. I felt they didn't need to send a car out (waste of resources, I was ok after all) so we agreed that I should drop in to my local station. I had the reg, make of car & description.

Did so, penalty points and a fine on his way. Court date if he refuses.
    I'll keep you updated, he's 10 days to produce documentation.

Interestingly, Garda told me to get a helmet cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Got hit today. Car turned right in front of me whilst I was in the cycle lane going straight, managed to avoid getting creamed by braking heavily and turning right, still glanced off the rear quarter of the car and stayed upright. No injuries, no damage to the bike or car.

Driver legged it, caught up with him, told me I should have stopped cause he was "following the flow of traffic" along with calling me every ***** ***** (in front of his kids) then he drove off. Called the Gardai had a chat. I felt they didn't need to send a car out (waste of resources, I was ok after all) so we agreed that I should drop in to my local station. I had the reg, make of car & description.

Did so, penalty points and a fine on his way. Court date if he refuses.
    I'll keep you updated, he's 10 days to produce documentation.

Interestingly, Garda told me to get a helmet cam.

That’s a lucky escape. Glad you are ok.

I had reason to go to a Garda Station yesterday having narrowly avoided being hit by a taxi. I thought I was gone and only by throwing my bike to the left did the wing mirror miss my bars. I had film footage. The Garda was at first interested and then became very uninterested- put legality of cctv as evidence (where owner of cctv has not registered with data protection commissioner (honestly, my camera is a safety device not a surveillance one). I said not true, and outlines the recent Fat Freddy Thompson challenge of cctv evidence in his murder trial, which was deemed admissabe, by a three judge ruling from the special criminal court only two weeks ago. Then he said a Garda has to witness it, it’s not for me to enforce the RTA. I said not true, I can present evidence of an offence and the Gardaí, as evidence gatherers can then follow up based on the evidence. (How strange that AGS seek dashcam footage from the public if it’s no use or not allowed as evidence...?) Would you have to witness an assault or robbery to prosecute or is available evidence used?
    Then he said it’s very hard to secure conviction in court for driving without due care – I said no, there’s a FPN and 3 pts option (court if not paid), and it’s been done before lots of times (and at least once for another incident I reported) He then wanted or purported to have to seize my phone as it contained evidence of an offence (even though I told him it was only a recording of it playing on my laptop screen).
    It was great fun countering his complete lack of knowledge of these things and seeing him thinking of other avenues to avoid doing anything. I now have to burn it to disc and he will see if I was close passed (after being initially shocked at how close the car was)

It really does matter who you get!!Very worrying too

• Advertisement

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    The Garda was at first interested and then became very uninterested-
    It really does matter who you get!!Very worrying too

Hmm. My ****ometer is going ting ting ting. I'd be on to the Ombudsman fast. Could the garda have recognised an informant?

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Hmm. My ****ometer is going ting ting ting. I'd be on to the Ombudsman fast. Could the garda have recognised an informant?

No conspiracy ... just a lack of interest in a mundane aspect of their work I would say. Maybe he will follow up. The thing is, they rarely tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

No conspiracy ... just a lack of interest in a mundane aspect of thier work I would say. Maybe he will follow up. The thing is, they rarely tell you.

Jaysis, that's not great. I think I'd nearly ask when their shift ended and gone back then after all that palaver. That fellow is going to work very hard to avoid working hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

No conspiracy ... just a lack of interest in a mundane aspect of thier work I would say. Maybe he will follow up. The thing is, they rarely tell you.

Agree it really depends on who you get. Had a close call, Traffic watch call went in, first Garda to call was very much talking me out of it (oh you’ll have to go to court, etc), I pressed it and she said ok come in and make a statement when you can, seemed very uninterested. Next day, got a call from another garda, as if he didn’t realise I’d already been contacted. He was like a kid on Christmas morning when he heard I had footage and mentioned he was traffic corps and the incident (close pass in hard shoulder by a traffic skipper) was a pet peeve of his. I wasn’t able to make the statement in the end as my daughter was in hospital, but good to know there’s a decent Garda in the local station should I need anyone. Night and day between the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've done this before and have had results.

You have to go to the Garda station with a SRONG AND HONEST statement printed out with every detail. Time, place, direction, conditions, light, what you were wearing, what lights you had, what speed you were doing, what you said, what he/she said, car reg, make, colour, model etc..

I've my statement done now, even though the Garda has taken the info and has promised a result, I'm dropping it in to him to cement the case.

kaisre. I'll PM you.

You have to go to the Garda station with a SRONG AND HONEST statement printed out with every detail. /QUOTE]

I'm working up a questionnaire for people to use, photocopy, give gardaí a copy and keep one - input and improvements gratefully accepted:
    Cycle crash form
    Your name
    Your address
    Your RSI number

Day of week, date and time of day that crash happened
    Place - exact, marked on map
    Weather - rainy, foggy, sunny, windy

Direction of your travel
    Direction of other vehicle’s travel
    Type of vehicle
    Type of bicycle

How crash happened
    Action of you & driver
    Insurance details (if provided)

Condition of road surface
    Traffic conditions - lots of traffic or not
    Damage to you & bike & vehicle

PULSE number issued by garda
    Garda dealing with case: name, ID number, station and phone
    Please add this crash to dublininquirer.com cycle collision tracker
    Give one copy of this to the garda you report to and keep one for yourself

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Teenager fell out in front of me. Seen it coming a mile away, he was walking behind a young family and he was itching to get past, but also busy on his phone. I slowed down when i seen him and just as I got a metre away he staggered out in front of me. I let out a "Careful now" which seemed to shock the family more. He looked confused.

Later down the road a taxi obviously had a broken left rear view mirror as he swung into the bus/bike lane while I was in it without looking. His centre one is also likely broken as I kept waving at him after he nearly hit me but he did not seem to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Rechuchote wrote: »

You have to go to the Garda station with a SRONG AND HONEST statement printed out with every detail. /QUOTE]

I'm working up a questionnaire for people to use, photocopy, give gardaí a copy and keep one - input and improvements gratefully accepted:
    Cycle crash form
    Your name
    Your address
    Your RSI number

Day of week, date and time of day that crash happened
    Place - exact, marked on map
    Weather - rainy, foggy, sunny, windy

Direction of your travel
    Direction of other vehicle’s travel
    Type of vehicle
    Type of bicycle

How crash happened
    Action of you & driver
    Insurance details (if provided)

Condition of road surface
    Traffic conditions - lots of traffic or not
    Damage to you & bike & vehicle

PULSE number issued by garda
    Garda dealing with case: name, ID number, station and phone
    Please add this crash to dublininquirer.com cycle collision tracker
    Give one copy of this to the garda you report to and keep one for yourself
    Why include the RSI number?

Steoller wrote: »

Presumably for traceability, as your address can change easily. Not really needed though as if your pushing the incident, they will have your contact details. I would have thought email and phone would be more appropriate.

Optional, but handy if people move house.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Presumably for traceability, as your address can change easily. Not really needed though as if your pushing the incident, they will have your contact details. I would have thought email and phone would be more appropriate.

If making a formal statement, they don’t ask for if, so it may be of little relevance. I doubt they would trawl their databases to find someone that reported a near miss incident. It’s hard enough to get them to even enter these on PULSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Stop the video at 8 seconds. Look at the car coming from the side road. Look where the stop line is. Now imagine you're on the bike path doing 43kph coming into that. At 10 seconds, the lane ends with a pedestrian crossing. None of that is safe.

Requirements to be a road planner in this country require a maximum IQ of 50. The lower generally the better. :mad:

Would you drive on a road at 43kph if it had a pedestrian crossing or junction 2 seconds away?

Why do car drivers have to use appropriate speed but you dont think a cyclist does?:confused:

So many examples of RLJ and box blocking from my commute.
    This one from yesterday was particularly bad.

Didn't a bike also brake that light and turn right?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Would you drive on a road at 43kph if it had a pedestrian crossing or junction 2 seconds away?

Why do car drivers have to use appropriate speed but you dont think a cyclist does?:confused:

Good questions but many car drivers seem to think they can. As for appropriate speed, cars have greater mass and can do more damage. It would be wreckless for a cyclist not to cycle at an appropriate speed for a given road layout or situation.

Good questions but many car drivers seem to think they can. As for appropriate speed, cars have greater mass and can do more damage. It would be wreckless for a cyclist not to cycle at an appropriate speed for a given road layout or situation.

Isn't that exactly the whataboutery that you would give out to motorists for...

Its reckless for anyone to move at an inappropriate speed for the conditions, doesn't matter if you are a walker, jogger, cyclist or car.
    You could easily cause someone else to take avoiding action and cause an accident as be involved in one yourself.

Many drivers would, often faster. Not sure of the point though.
    If you are on the road on the bike, these are not issues, they are only issues because of the poor planning.

I am not sure what speed I would do on that bike lane because I would most likely choose not to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Didn't a bike also brake that light and turn right?
    " many examples"

"many examples"

"This one from yesterday was particularly bad."
    :cool:

"This one from yesterday was particularly bad."
    :cool:

Its one example from a junction of multiple vehicles RLJing (3 in total).

• Advertisement

Isn't that exactly the whataboutery that you would give out to motorists for...

Its reckless for anyone to move at an inappropriate speed for the conditions, doesn't matter if you are a walker, jogger, cyclist or car.
    You could easily cause someone else to take avoiding action and cause an accident as be involved in one yourself.
    I don’t know the point you are making here. Motor vehicles are inherently more dangerous than a bicycle for the same speed. Therefore a higher standard of care and attention applies to their divers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement