Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Had a bit of a weird one this morning.

Was cycling up to a red light and about 10 meters before them a car passes me very close and then stops at the lights. When I rolled past him and stopped I turned around to signal that he was very close and give a bit more space. Next of all he starts giving all sorts of hand signals and I can see he is saying something so I roll the bike back to his window and explained that he was very close and it was only a few meters to a red light so was not necessary. He then said that he couldn't give me more room because there were cars in the right lane and what did I expect him to do.

He looked genuinely confused when I told him he should wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Sorry wasn't sure where to put this but - Cyclist down in the roundabout near Bikeworx in Celbridge at around 4pm. Didn't see it myself but my son tells me he was conscious and being attended to by gardai, hopefully it's not too serious and he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Also heard of a cyclist down in Ranelagh this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Saw a cyclist down Wednesday about 10.00 am at the sherzer bridge outside the CHQ building. Bandaged arm and in what looked like a wheelchair thing waiting to be out in an ambulance. Hopefully alright - looked dazed but conscious and talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Not a great day/week for commuting cyclists. Is there a full moon or something?
    With so many near misses every day it’s pure luck there are not more like this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weird ones on the commute home. Beeped crossing a bridge (I slowed coming too a light). Rolled up beside me to say it was an accident. Grand I think. He then said he thought I should be in the bike lane, and asked why I wasn't there (I explained). He then said, oh, and told me how if he floored it from his green (ours) he could make the green light on the other side (would have to break the speed limit to do so). I wanted to point out his stupidity but just smiled and rolled on. He then undertook me (again over the limit) to get caught in traffic. I smiled and waved as I passed by in the bike lane.

There was another person on one of those electric unicycle things who ran a red and luckily the car to his right slowed. Like a tired and grumpy d1ck, I pointed it out and he said no car was there. I explained which one and he said "its OK, I made eye contact". He then fell over when the light went green. It was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

CramCycle wrote: »
    Its one example from a junction of multiple vehicles RLJing (3 in total).

That junction is always one of the worst ones for cars breaking red lights - it's always what I think of when people complain about cyclists breaking the lights. If you were to stand here and video, I'd say that at every single light change, you would get between one and three cars going through a red light - usually going from Tara St across Butt Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

p15574 wrote: »
    That junction is always one of the worst ones for cars breaking red lights - it's always what I think of when people complain about cyclists breaking the lights. If you were to stand here and video, I'd say that at every single light change, you would get between one and three cars going through a red light - usually going from Tara St across Butt Bridge.
    City centre traffic seems to be the most laissez-faire. The majority of times I pass Tara St. there's someone blocking the bus lane because they haven't managed to fully turn left and clear the junction before the lights change. Even busses can't get a proper left turn if the middle lane is backed up. Yellow boxes are hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

City centre traffic seems to be the most laissez-faire. The majority of times I pass Tara St. there's someone blocking the bus lane because they haven't managed to fully turn left and clear the junction before the lights change. Even busses can't get a proper left turn if the middle lane is backed up. Yellow boxes are hard.
    It's like that every day around five. Absolutely lethal. Loads of cyclists go around the bus blocking the junction. It's very dangerous though, as cars coming up on the outside lane are usually flying.

I just stop, even if the light is green until the junction clears up. It's too dangerous. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I just stop, even if the light is green until the junction clears up. It's too dangerous. :(

Unfortunately common sense is not all that common as it is overwritten by the sense of entitlement; "I need to get where I'm going as quick as possible and screw everyone else".

• Advertisement

Unfortunately common sense is not all that common as it is overwritten by the sense of entitlement; "I need to get where I'm going as quick as possible and screw everyone else".

I wish people would practice some mindful commuting.

I don't think there's any need for Tour De France cycling through red lights or grand prix driving on the commute to work. People should bleedin' relax. :D

That reminds me, a guy passed me cycling the other day smoking a rollie. Massive bang of weed off him. I passed him a while later when he was sitting on a bench contemplating lifes deeper mysteries. That's the way it should be done. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Yellow boxes are hard.

I was on the way out of the city yesterday, waiting at a red light by the Hilton Kilmainham. Looking to my right, I see a Roads Policing Unit stopped in the yellow box, one Garda not making any eye contact and shirking in his seat.

Which meant he didn't notice (or didn't want to notice) the two cars sitting in the yellow box behind him. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I wish people would practice some mindful commuting.

I don't think there's any need for Tour De France cycling through red lights or grand prix driving on the commute to work. People should bleedin' relax. :D

That reminds me, a guy passed me cycling the other day smoking a rollie. Massive bang of weed off him. I passed him a while later when he was sitting on a bench contemplating lifes deeper mysteries. That's the way it should be done. :D

Yup. The mode of transport doesn't make the person. The same person that cycles like an idiot would probably drive like an idiot too and vice-versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 NeoVaradkar

Amount of times drivers don't check their rearview mirrors when pulling out and you are flying by. Ugh, happened again today out for spin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Amount of times drivers don't check their rearview mirrors when pulling out and you are flying by. Ugh, happened again today out for spin

Bad habit to assume drivers can see you. But knowing they won't see you and flying by anyway? Seriously? You should be anticipating this.

Pretty standard experience these days, when cycling for me to slow down for a developing hazard, only for another cyclist to Kamikaze into a narrowing gap ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Met a man today - I was canvassing, and we were talking about other things, but then we moved on to helmets. He said a friend had died when she was knocked from her bike last year and hit her head; he said she was on her way to buy a helmet that day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cycling home yesterday, on the roundabout on the northside of the east link. cyclist in front of me decided to cut up the inside of the truck coming off the roundabout, heading north. the driver slammed on, the cyclist casually mounted the kerb and toddled away.

Actually had a truck pass me while back about 100 meters from a red light and he sat there until cars started beeping at him, I was sat behind him and had to shuffle left and wave. Couldn't help thinking to myself once bitten or almost bitten or thoughts to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

buffalo wrote: »
    I was on the way out of the city yesterday, waiting at a red light by the Hilton Kilmainham. Looking to my right, I see a Roads Policing Unit stopped in the yellow box, one Garda not making any eye contact and shirking in his seat.

Which meant he didn't notice (or didn't want to notice) the two cars sitting in the yellow box behind him. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not unusual! Seen them in boxes loads of times, with other cars too. Hardly surprising they do nothing when the pass cars parked in cycle lanes, on pavements, on double yellow etc. Why work hard when you get paid anyway/regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I rode around 140km in NI on Saturday (part of the Carlingford 300). The roads were really busy what with the sunshine and all. To a (wo)man, every single* driver waited behind me until it was safe to pass, on the other side of the road, with a minimum of 3 metres clearance. Climbing the narrow, winding road to the Spelga Dam at 5kph, they waited until they could pass. Nobody blew a horn nor shouted at me or anything.

*There was one exception. One driver thought in was a reasonable idea to overtake me into the path of an oncoming truck. But even then, they gave me loads of room...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Car swung across me on today. They were turning from George's street onto exchequer street. Had to hit the brakes hard to stop.

Gave them roar and some douche walking gave me a "why don't you slow down dude" ...

I was probably doing 22-25ish at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

outta my way, I'm a bus! Note the oncoming driver forced to brake and move into bus lane. Road completely clear behind. Driver says he's a cyclist too and he thought it was loads of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

outta my way, I'm a bus! Note the oncoming driver forced to brake and move into bus lane. Road completely clear behind. Driver says he's a cyclist too and he thought it was loads of room.
    Was the bus out of service? Looks like it might be. My commute passes near Harristown depot and I've had a couple of close shaves at high speed like that with buses returning to the depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Outrageous. Absolutely unforgivable that one, and I presume that was a beep from the bus too?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I had an odd one with Dublin Bus myself earlier. After several carefree KMs around Wicklow - beautiful day and EVERYONE passing with good space and patience - I came into Newtownmountkennedy. A DB passed me very close at the south of the village, in fact it felt like he cut in deliberately on top of me. I passed him at a stop only for him to close pass me again a short time later into the path of an oncoming car. Again I passed him at the stop at Coillte and when I was doing so I signalled to him that he'd done me twice. So on the ramp back up to the N11 I took the lane big time. He got past eventually and went on his way.

But here's the rub. When I reviewed the footage later (front and rear) I noticed he'd actually indicated both times before passing me. So I'm at a complete loss to understand what he was at. No doubt he's away now giving out about the grumpy pr*ck on his bike all over the road....

I haven't put up the footage for two reasons. I'm in two minds what to do as I'm kinda thinking now he just misjudged things. But also, in general I find DB drivers in this neck of the woods to be pretty good generally so I'll probbly just give him the benefit of the doubt ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Outrageous. Absolutely unforgivable that one, and I presume that was a beep from the bus too?

I think that was unrelated on the other side of the road. The bus was a good bit back at that point. Just pulled the fly6 footage and he hardly hesitates in barging oncoming traffic out of their lane, certainly doesn’t slow much. Think the poor chap behind me may have copped an even closer pass.

plodder wrote: »
    Was the bus out of service? Looks like it might be. My commute passes near Harristown depot and I've had a couple of close shaves at high speed like that with buses returning to the depot.

Yep, he was absolutely hooring it up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I think that was unrelated on the other side of the road. The bus was a good bit back at that point. Just pulled the fly6 footage and he hardly hesitates in barging oncoming traffic out of their lane, certainly doesn’t slow much. Think the poor chap behind me may have copped an even closer pass.

Yep, he was absolutely hooring it up the road.

If you can get a reg place number from the video please send in the footage to DB. I know it will get an 'our drivers are the best trained professional drivers in the world, ever' type of response, but they need to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

If it's the stretch of road I think it it is, that was definitely a "there's a perfectly good cycle track going through that estate over there, so **** off out of my bus lane" punishment pass.

buffalo wrote: »
    If it's the stretch of road I think it it is, that was definitely a "there's a perfectly good cycle track going through that estate over there, so **** off out of my bus lane" punishment pass.

That's up around Bushy Park. Other road users get really outraged if you don't use the 'cycle path.' AKA a road with speed bumps and a footpath in a park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

he hardly hesitates in barging oncoming traffic out of their lane, certainly doesn’t slow much.

There's a certain type of driver on Irish roads now with a certain mentality that makes it almost impossible for them to reduce their speed when they see hazards such as a bike or bikes on the road ahead. Instead they simply plough on through a crowded situation at the same speed, creating ridiculous levels of unnecessary danger.

These people are wholly unfit to hold a driving licence - if they acted this way during a driving test would fail their test in a millisecond. However, as their incompetent and dangerous driving goes unchecked, they continue on. The icing on the cake is many of them are probably the ones claiming cyclists are dangerous, a menace etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement