Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Two from the motors forum, from the same driver. Poster was heavily criticised for it with many posters pointing out issues with his driving and attitude in other posts he posted about the incident (he said the cyclist should have pulled in for him). Mods didn't like the discussion around the cyclists, it hadn't even turned into a Cyclists vs Motorists debate, and the mod deleted any post related to the vids.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107126560&postcount=1840

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Hurrache wrote: »
    Two from the motors forum, from the same driver. Poster was heavily criticised for it with many posters pointing out issues with his driving and attitude in other posts he posted about the incident (he said the cyclist should have pulled in for him). Mods didn't like the discussion around the cyclists, it hadn't even turned into a Cyclists vs Motorists debate, and the mod deleted any post related to the vids.

What was the gist of the deleted stuff?

Why did your man even post those videos when he was so clearly wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Seen that, unfortunately it's an attitude that's endemic in some road users, there's no excuse for the "I had no choice" stance that was taken by the OP. Shocking maneuver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I was just about to post this up here, the most frightening thing is the driver thinks he was 100% correct and the cyclist was in the wrong. I hope I don't cycle anywhere near this driver :eek:

The posts that were deleted were from people criticizing the driver that he was in the wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

My fooking god. He seems to be blaming the cyclist for not having eyes in the back of his head????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

My fooking god. He seems to be blaming the cyclist for not having eyes in the back of his head????

Looking at the threads this user has created on boards, it's quite clear they get a kick from confrontation and like to stir the ****..

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=659833&threads=1&sort=newest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I think that was unrelated on the other side of the road. The bus was a good bit back at that point. Just pulled the fly6 footage and he hardly hesitates in barging oncoming traffic out of their lane, certainly doesn’t slow much. Think the poor chap behind me may have copped an even closer pass.

Yep, he was absolutely hooring it up the road.

that's really shockingly bad driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

benjamin d wrote: »
    What was the gist of the deleted stuff?

Why did your man even post those videos when he was so clearly wrong?

Pretty sensible in fairness. All, but one who always sides against cyclists, pointed out the poor level of driving on display from the poster, He countered that there was nothing wrong with his driving and that the cyclist in one example should have moved into the left turn junction to give him more space to pass at "considerable speed". He also said that had he clipped either of those cyclists his life would have been ruined.

I suspected trolling at that point but he continued on insisting he had done nothing wrong at all in any of those videos. Mod then deleted all posts related to that video, handed out bans, and said he doesn't want a cyclist vs motorist argument which was ridiculous as literally every poster bar the video one were critical on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Following this thread for a while now -
    What is a 'punishment pass'?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Near misses:
    I've had a few now on the new river path from Clonmel to Carrick on Suir - lovely evenings- out for a run only to be nearly pushed into the river by cyclists who think they own the path showing no regard for runners or walkers.
    Ironic really seeing as how they so easily take the high moral ground with motorists. It's an ongoing problem on the Waterford greenway as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Esho wrote: »
    Following this thread for a while now -
    What is a 'punishment pass'?

It's a deliberate close pass intended to intimidate or 'punish' the recipient for being in the way. As opposed to close passes done out of recklessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

but yet you let me pass you at considerable speed bearing in mind I had an oncoming car leaving me with sfa clearance and I still had to contend with you 'holding your rd'

The poor driver didn't stand a chance, can't believe the scum cyclist encroached on his right to drive at considerable speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

carter10 wrote: »
    Near misses:
    I've had a few now on the new river path from Clonmel to Carrick on Suir - lovely evenings- out for a run only to be nearly pushed into the river by cyclists who think they own the path showing no regard for runners or walkers.
    Ironic really seeing as how they so easily take the high moral ground with motorists. It's an ongoing problem on the Waterford greenway as well.

Yeah man people are c&^ts. You'll not get any argument about that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Near misses:
    Greenways seem to attract people who have no idea how to cycle properly unfortunately.

I was on holiday recently in Spain and saw something similar. One case in particular, was an elderly lady cycling slowly (thankfully), approached a group of pedestrians from behind and rang her bell. For whatever reason, they didn't move and she just collided with them. Didn't seem to know how to use her brakes at all. There are signs up saying pedestrians have right of way, but she looked like she hadn't been on a bike in about fifty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

Near misses:
    Care to share some examples. Interested as I share a cycleway/walkway with other cyclists, joggers, walkers and their dogs. So far no problem except for dogs not on their leash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

I had a trifecta this morning, punishment pass coupled with beeping and to top it off, a soaking from the driver spraying soapy water from his windshield washer bottle.

Happened as I came down the R135 headed towards town from Finglas - private bus with no company name or anything identifiable on the bus. I reckon he must have his windscreen spray adjusted in some way as there was a too much water coming away from the front of the bus to the passenger side for it to be aiming at the window. Certainly didn't appreciate the mouthful of washing up liquid at that time of the morning.

hesker wrote: »
    Care to share some examples. Interested as I share a cycleway/walkway with other cyclists, joggers, walkers and their dogs. So far no problem except for dogs not on their leash.

Examples: cyclists using the middle of the path and forcing other users into the side- a very regular occurance.
    Cyclists treating it as open road and cycling as such forcing other users off the path ( by a river)
    Cyclists approaching from behind at speed and passing without warning- this particular one resulting in me getting the handlebar in the back and the cyclist unseated.
    People with dogs and young children use such paths for leisure, in my opinion it's no place for fully cycling gear clad cyclists using it as if it's the open road.

I just find it interesting that for a group who make such a big deal out of car users- they act in the exact same manner themselves when they are the ones in the 'bigger' vehicle.

Examples: cyclists using the middle of the path and forcing other users into the side- a very regular occurance.
    Cyclists treating it as open road and cycling as such forcing other users off the path ( by a river)
    Cyclists approaching from behind at speed and passing without warning- this particular one resulting in me getting the handlebar in the back and the cyclist unseated.
    People with dogs and young children use such paths for leisure, in my opinion it's no place for fully cycling gear clad cyclists using it as if it's the open road.

I just find it interesting that for a group who make such a big deal out of car users- they act in the exact same manner themselves when they are the ones in the 'bigger' vehicle.

you're using 'they' to lump all people who cycle into one group and imply that this group as a whole behaves in this way. I'm pretty sure that everyone here would be horrified to hear of cyclists behaving like this, just like most motorists would be horrified to see some of the videos and accounts of dangerous behaviour on the road that are posted on this thread.

as was mentioned on the previous page, there are d1cks who cycle, d1cks who drive and indeed d1cks who walk. it sounds like you've encountered some particularly high level d1cks on bikes.

you're using 'they' to lump all people who cycle into one group and imply that this group as a whole behaves in this way. I'm pretty sure that everyone here would be horrified to hear of cyclists behaving like this, just like most motorists would be horrified to see some of the videos and accounts of dangerous behaviour on the road that are posted on this thread.

as was mentioned on the previous page, there are d1cks who cycle, d1cks who drive and indeed d1cks who walk. it sounds like you've encountered some particularly high level d1cks on bikes.

I suppose the difference is runners/walkers are not constantly moaning about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Again I passed him at the stop at Coillte and when I was doing so I signalled to him that he'd done me twice. So on the ramp back up to the N11 I took the lane big time.

It wasn't with the first two fingers of your hand was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I suppose the difference is runners/walkers are not constantly moaning about it.

As a cyclist (as well as a motorist), I do my best to ride responsibly. However, I'm not responsible for sins of other cyclists, so I don't really give a fiddlers fart what pre-conceived attitudes might have towards me due to my "grouping" (cyclist).

Where I do get tetchy is where some of those road users, because of the attitudes they have, wilfully endanger my life for the sake of a couple of seconds instead of exercising a reasonable duty of care with the life of an extremely vunerable road user.

If you play fast and loose with my safety and my life while sitting pretty in your 2 tonnes of metal and airbag protection, then yes, you can expect to hear me "moan" about that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

coming southbound past sam dennigan's (it's a fruit and veg dsitribution place, for those who don't know it) on the R130, heard a car start to overtake me - immediate spidey senses tingling because a lot of the traffic on this road is people driving to or from dennigans; sure enough, i glance right and the ****er is indicating left already, even as he's alongside me, so i had to slam on. and he completes his overtake and immediately swings left in front of me, in through the entrance.

i let out a fairly gutsy 'YOU ASSHOLE' (just to make sure he could hear me), and about two seconds later, a bunch of about eight riders passed in the opposite direction. i may be imagining it, but i got one or two quizzical looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Near misses:

I cycle on my own often on the Greenway , often I have to stop as pedestrians and runners take up the full width of the greenway rather than walk on the left. Showing no regard for cyclists.

Its just one of those things, just accept it .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

This evening I had the 39 bus overtake and push in on top of me. I really must get a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

2 recent near misses , unusual sources , Sun spin coming up from courtown harbour up drag towards Riverchapel, 2 people on the left hand path ( only path on that road) , facing up the drag , just as I was passing them the guy decided to put bike on back wheel and swivel it around to go back down towards harbour, it's a very narrow path, his airborne front wheel almost took my head off , his lady friend let out an almighty scream as she saw me swerving to avoid his bike.
    Last night on the Belgard road at junction to head left for entrance to Tallaght IT, I came very close to taking a left hook... A Garda car of all things !

I wonder if instead the difference is the number of dangerous incidents experienced by cyclists at the hands of motorists compared to the number experienced by pedestrians at the hands of cyclists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I wonder if instead the difference is the number of dangerous incidents experienced by cyclists at the hands of motorists compared to the number experienced by pedestrians at the hands of cyclists?
    If it came down to it, i suppose i'd rather be a pedestrian getting hit by a cyclist as opposed to a cyclist getting hit by a road vehicle.

Less chance of permanent maiming or fatality. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Went out on the road bike for a change yesterday around Howth, forgot what fun it is on the road...
    Had a bus pass me so close the wheels of the bus were right on the edge of the bike lane paint, was close enough so I could easily tap the side of the bus as it zipped past me doing around 35-40kph...
    Coming down into Howth village to the harbor some clown in a SUV style car decides to take a left hook without indicating even though he could clearly see I was right behind him..
    Coming down to the infamous Clontarf baths/Restaurant had to let a roar at a couple of Taxi's blindly turning in and out of that little entrance road...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

If it came down to it, i suppose i'd rather be a pedestrian getting hit by a cyclist as opposed to a cyclist getting hit by a road vehicle.

Less chance of permanent maiming or fatality. :eek:

My choice would be not to be hit :eek::p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Something i notice when running in this morning along the canal.

At lesson bridge, the amount of cyclists undertaking cars that are at the junction first and with their indicator light on, turning left onto Adelaide road.

Some one is going to seriously get injured there unless some cyclists are more careful.

In fairness from standing at light waiting for it to green to cross, i saw 8 cyclists undertake and 3 waiting. One gave a shout at the other cyclist for undertaking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement