Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Something i notice when running in this morning along the canal.
    At lesson bridge, the amount of cyclists undertaking cars that are at the junction first and with their indicator light on, turning left onto Adelaide road.
    Some one is going to seriously get injured there unless some cyclists are more careful.
    In fairness from standing at light waiting for it to green to cross, i saw 8 cyclists undertake and 3 waiting. One gave a shout at the other cyclist for undertaking.

That area is probably an extreme example of behavior as it's one of the busiest in the city, you have dozens of cyclists and pedestrians all trying to cross an extremely bus section of road way, which is blocked half the time by cars, vans and buses...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

it's an absolute sh1t show of a junction alright, could do with a consistent spell of Gardaí regularly standing on the corners and nabbing all red light jumpers, people who don't clear the yellow box in the middle of the junction etc.

this morning a lady on a cargo bike who was coming along the canal from Harold's cross direction couldn't cross the junction in the cycle lane because the back of a car which had broken the lights was stopped across the lane. so she had to try to move out into the traffic to get around the obstacle and several cars went past without letting her out. eventually the offending car moved forward enough to permit her to cross, just before her light went red.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

it's an absolute sh1t show of a junction alright, could do with a consistent spell of Gardaí regularly standing on the corners and nabbing all red light jumpers, people who don't clear the yellow box in the middle of the junction etc.

this morning a lady on a cargo bike who was coming along the canal from Harold's cross direction couldn't cross the junction in the cycle lane because the back of a car which had broken the lights was stopped across the lane. so she had to try to move out into the traffic to get around the obstacle and several cars went past without letting her out. eventually the offending car moved forward enough to permit her to cross, just before her light went red.

Gardai at O'Connell bridge junction now, taking reg numbers of cars breaking lights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Something i notice when running in this morning along the canal.

At lesson bridge, the amount of cyclists undertaking cars that are at the junction first and with their indicator light on, turning left onto Adelaide road.

Some one is going to seriously get injured there unless some cyclists are more careful.

In fairness from standing at light waiting for it to green to cross, i saw 8 cyclists undertake and 3 waiting. One gave a shout at the other cyclist for undertaking.

Yeah this really gets my goat. I was at the barge junction before where they've upgraded it so the cycle lane sits in between left lane and straight lane. There was a huge truck indicating left but in lane for going straight as he needed the swing. Even better was there was a loud audio recording playing from the back of the truck "Caution, this truck is turning left". I stopped behind him naively hoping others would too, yet cyclist after cyclist squeezed by and formed a line up the side of the truck. Lights go green and the flow of cyclists overtaking me just keep coming and so truck misses the light. God only knows how many light changes he waited through to get a gap.

No room on the tight canal - but I've noticed in some junctions like this they've added the plastic bollards along the cycle lane - think also on junctions where 2 cyclists were killed - but to be honest, I think it makes it a bit worse. Particularly just before templeogue village outbound. Some drivers appear to assume that the bollards guide you left, so if you go left of them, it looks like you may be turning left. Maybe it's just my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Yeah this really gets my goat. I was at the barge junction before where they've upgraded it so the cycle lane sits in between left lane and straight lane. There was a huge truck indicating left but in lane for going straight as he needed the swing. Even better was there was a loud audio recording playing from the back of the truck "Caution, this truck is turning left". I stopped behind him naively hoping others would too, yet cyclist after cyclist squeezed by and formed a line up the side of the truck. Lights go green and the flow of cyclists overtaking me just keep coming and so truck misses the light. God only knows how many light changes he waited through to get a gap.

No room on the tight canal - but I've noticed in some junctions like this they've added the plastic bollards along the cycle lane - think also on junctions where 2 cyclists were killed - but to be honest, I think it makes it a bit worse. Particularly just before templeogue village outbound. Some drivers appear to assume that the bollards guide you left, so if you go left of them, it looks like you may be turning left. Maybe it's just my take on it.

I would question whether that truck should have been on the canal at all. I know you can get a special permit if it's really required but for the most part Buses and Large trucks should not be on the Canal so that kind of incident doesn't happen. There simply isn't enough room.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I would question whether that truck should have been on the canal at all. I know you can get a special permit if it's really required but for the most part Buses and Large trucks should not be on the Canal so that kind of incident doesn't happen. There simply isn't enough room.

With all the construction going on there are loads of trucks within the permit area. I don't understand why they don't need low cabs and sensors for their blind spots in order to be in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I see from google maps there's a sign on the bridge relating to the ban on vehicles with more than five axles.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3320671,-6.2527737,3a,75y,280.01h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sN8g5MEdiD3bf9Smj903EIA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DN8g5MEdiD3bf9Smj903EIA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D286.47314%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Took me a while to see that sign but spotted the lad on motor bike using his phone straight off

Either that or he's examining his flute.

True, there could also be a time limited permit, this was at 8am on a weekday which is obviously busy on the canal with bikes. Out of hours may be better, but if during the night there's noise issues, etc.

In fairness to the company/driver, the truck was kitted with the audible warning and the driver made zero attempt to nudge his way in or anything, he simply waited.

I think that's only a general rule for vehicles without a permit. Not sure how easy it is to get one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

homer911 wrote: »
    It wasn't with the first two fingers of your hand was it?

:D It was but they were facing out a la Churchill (the prime minister, not the dog!)

Just to prove they're not all bad. Leaving Glenealy towards Rathnew this morning a car coming behind showed huge patience where others wouldn't. Waited behind at a distance and no revving of the engine. Even where I felt he could have gone he didn't. When he did move he gave plenty of space so I gave him a wave as he passed. He moved back in and threw on the hazards in acknowledgement. Driving an Audi of all things. The car behind did the same but of course it was ruined by the plonker in the third car.

All in all, cycling in Wicklow has become much more enjoyable in a short space of time. I don't know why, but there's very little I can complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

Passed at speed within about a foot this morning. I could have reached out and touched the car but it was gone by me in a second. Estimate she was doing about 50-60kph. In 3 years of cycling to work that's the closest pass I've had. Yeah, I'm lucky I know. Road is plenty wide enough to give more room but she either couldn't be bothered or didn't have her eyes on the road. Have the reg.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hesker wrote: »
    Have the reg.
    Report her!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Approaching small 4-way roundabout. Scan ahead. No one approaching from 12 o'clock, no one approaching from 3 o'clock on my right so it looks clear for me to proceed. But wait, who's this steaming in from the 9 o'clock entrance on my left? A young fella in a shiny new car with a buddy in the passenger seat with his eyes fixed on his exit point on the other side of the roundabout. Not a hint of a rightways glance.
    "Surely he'll check to see if anyone is coming from his right." is exactly what I did *not* assume.
    Instead, I hauled on the brakes, let out a half-hearted warning, and the young fella finally glanced towards me as he whizzed past my front wheel with a confused look on his face.
    I think I'm getting too blasé about this kind of nonsense.

In another (this time car based) roundabout adventure, I spotted a fella approaching very fast from my right. Naturally, he wasn't using any indicators so I waited to see what he'd do. Turns out, he wasn't too sure himself. He veered right and then hard left almost losing the car. In fact, he turned so hard he had his head and shoulders outside of the car as he struggled to make the turn. Not sensible driving in any environment outside of an action movie. An action movie where this guy is piloting a bad guy car that drives off the side of a cliff, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

I was nearly taken out this am - on bike path approaching canal, passing a left turn.
    I was looking down at my derailleur as it was clicking, and not keeping a defensive eye around me as I usually do.
    Some guy sped from the other direction to take his right-turn, down the road on my left - there was a gap in the stationary cars - and missed me by inches.

I got a fright and we both stopped. I asked him if he was ok and he started off with "You should ....", at which I lost it and told him I didn't have to do anything, as I was on a bike path and he has to give the right of way, and look where he is going as per the rules of the road.
    Then he told me to calm down.
    Why the f**K should I calm down - I shouted at him - you nearly killed me.
    At which point he drove off.

5 seconds of not looking on my part - I have braked before in similar situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that was some reaction by the cyclist. kinda hard to see exactly what he was up to - doesn't quite look like he tried to punch the wing mirror off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

After bus depot on N11 heading towards Donnybrook, cycle lane goes into the middle of the 3 lanes before heading into Donnybrook just before the traffic islands by Donnybrook stadium. Taxi driver must have missed the woman in front of me by no more than 3 inches, she let out a yelp. He was also coming in on top of her during the 'overtake' so if she didn't swerve left she'd definitely have taken a knock.

It was about 7.15am, absolutely no need for it as it wasn't that busy - why not just wait until after the traffic island to overtake safely. The mind boggles, professional driver...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

At least 4 near misses this morning on my 8k commute into Dublin city.

My theory is that due to the lighter traffic on the road, bank holiday weekend and all that, the sh!t drivers have a bit more space to drive faster and 'mentaller'

At least 4 near misses this morning on my 8k commute into Dublin city.

My theory is that due to the lighter traffic on the road, bank holiday weekend and all that, the sh!t drivers have a bit more space to drive faster and 'mentaller'

Always prefer gridlocked traffic to breeze through than the first week of school holidays where drivers let loose.

Grand cycle in for me today, but there were far more trucks/cars parked in cycle lanes than usual, not sure why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

neris wrote: »

Why is there a car stopped in the middle of the road? There is no way you can see what's coming in the cycling lane or from the cycle lane with that car in the way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Why is there a car stopped in the middle of the road? There is no way you can see what's coming in the cycling lane or from the cycle lane with that car in the way

Cars stop on roads when there's traffic. The person is in a pretty high up vehicle, she didn't even look to her left. And when you can't see what's coming, you don't do what she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just someone trying to wave them through no?

This happens all the time, someone trying to turn right across traffic and a 'nice' person stops and waves them through. The person turning then just blindly proceeds. Ultimately the turning car is at fault as they have not made sure the way was clear. But the 'nice' person was also negligent imo.

All that being said I think the video posted above shows someone who was paying some attention and was able to jam on the brakes (unless this was an autonomous system braking...). The reaction of the cyclist was way over the top, but adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

I had a bad morning this morning too. I was late cycling into work, it was around 9ish and traffic was light. But god damn there was tonnes of aggression. Overtaking just before a roundabout, passing too closely, overtaking around blind bends. Madness.

(unless this was an autonomous system braking...)

Not sure why, but that was immediate thought watching the video. It seems to be in sync with the cyclist passing the front of the car, though could be a coincidence. If it is autonomous, it's very impressive technology, have it on my own car but thankfully only got minor alerts from it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

“sorry but Bicyclist at fault for riding without paying attention to traffic,
    he should have seen the car stopped ahead of him - he should of slowed down and not speed by, bike lane or not”

And we wonder why Trump romped it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Assume the video is the rear dashcam of the car in front? So stopped in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not sure why, but that was immediate thought watching the video. It seems to be in sync with the cyclist passing the front of the car, though could be a coincidence. If it is autonomous, it's very impressive technology, have it on my own car but thankfully only got minor alerts from it so far.

The stuff in recent Nissans at least would have caused such a reaction. Collision prevention has come a long way of late.

Cyclist wasn't in the wrong but that doesn't stop you being dead. I suspect a case of tunnel vision as the roof of the SUV would have been 100% visible as it passed into his path of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

In two minds about this one. At the Oatlands/N11 junction - which is always a bit messy - a car stops, then sees a gap he thinks he might fit through, not thinking of cyclists. Obviously the motorist is at fault, but it's an innocent enough mistake I suppose - is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

p15574 wrote: »
    In two minds about this one. At the Oatlands/N11 junction - which is always a bit messy - a car stops, then sees a gap he thinks he might fit through, not thinking of cyclists. Obviously the motorist is at fault, but it's an innocent enough mistake I suppose - is it?

Nope. He entered a lane without confirming it was clear. He wouldn’t have done it if it was a truck in the lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

p15574 wrote: »

Looking at the start of the video the light facing the VW appears to be red already, meaning he broke it or at best amber-gambled, and knowing he did so tried to tuck in somewhere without any consideration for the traffic he was joining (not surprising since he broke the light to get where he was).

There was never a gap for him to move into to make progress, so I don't know what he was at really, but given the aforementioned breaking of the light, he's hardly innocent, and should probably have expected cyclists to start coming through if the lights had just changed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement