Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

p15574 wrote: »
    In two minds about this one. At the Oatlands/N11 junction - which is always a bit messy - a car stops, then sees a gap he thinks he might fit through, not thinking of cyclists. Obviously the motorist is at fault, but it's an innocent enough mistake I suppose - is it?

What's the difference between an innocent mistake and a guilty one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The big coffee mug in the driver's right hand is a nice touch. Just add a shower and a change of clothes and all morning rituals can be completed on a commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

who likes breaking red lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

In two minds about this one. At the Oatlands/N11 junction - which is always a bit messy - a car stops, then sees a gap he thinks he might fit through, not thinking of cyclists. Obviously the motorist is at fault, but it's an innocent enough mistake I suppose - is it?

The cyclist has the green before the car even enters the junction so he's waaaay late. Probably a good 3-5 seconds after the red.

I see there's even a thread in the motors forum about the RLJ epidemic now so you know it's gotten serious!

A pedestrian is going to be killed on the N11 any day now by a car blasting through at 80km/h+ on the green man. The crossings start inches from the driving lane and drivers ALWAYS shoot through them at huge speed so there's just no margin for error.

site_owner wrote: »
    who likes breaking red lights?
    I've nearly been creamed like that on Cloghran roundabout a few times. It's one of the first roundabouts I remember to get traffic lights, and I think it's too small to have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The big coffee mug in the driver's right hand is a nice touch. Just add a shower and a change of clothes and all morning rituals can be completed on a commute.
    I had one young lady who passed me first time with the phone in her hand, and second time she was taking her lip gloss applicator out of the container as she passed. Busy girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mrs WA was knocked off her bike this morning by a passing caravan being towed by a car. She didn' seem too bothered about it - I'd be fucking livid!

(The driver didn't stop but I presume he/she didn't realise what had happened even though a few other motorists sounded their horns).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mate of mine used to work in the toll booths in the west link many years ago. he once told us of a lorry driver who pulled up, with one half of the beginnings of a beard shaved off. his shaver had run out of battery. apart from the idea of someone trying to shave while trying to concentrate on driving - that's weirdly gross. hairs all over the cab.

Jesus :eek:

Hope she's feeling ok now the adrenaline has worn off. Did anyone else stop to make sure she was alright?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Mrs WA was knocked off her bike this morning by a passing caravan being towed by a car. She didn' seem too bothered about it - I'd be fucking livid!

(The driver didn't stop but I presume he/she didn't realise what had happened even though a few other motorists sounded their horns).
    how'd it happen? close pass, didn't realise how wide the caravan was?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jesus :eek:

Hope she's feeling ok now the adrenaline has worn off. Did anyone else stop to make sure she was alright?
    She's fine a few cuts/bruises - they make them tough in Limerick! :)

I was with her but a bit ahead. She got caught at a red light. I pulled over wondering why it took her so long to catch up and it was only when she did that I realised what had happened.
    how'd it happen? close pass, didn't realise how wide the caravan was?
    Luckily it was fairly low speed. She took off at a green light (in Rush) and the car/caravan also moved off but the driver obviously didn't leave enough space due to oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Mrs WA was knocked off her bike this morning by a passing caravan being towed by a car. She didn' seem too bothered about it - I'd be ****ing livid!

Bloody hell, hope she's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

She's fine a few cuts/bruises - they make them tough in Limerick! :).

She'll be sore in the morning. Keep an eye on her, adrenalin's great for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Got overtaken on the left by a motorbike this morning.

Was at a T-junction with a left-turn lane and a straight ahead lane (no right turn). I was at the top of the straight ahead lane with the intention of just crossing the junction and pulling over to the left onto the cycle lane on the perpendicular road and continuing on that road on the next green light.

Light went green, moved across the junction with cars coming behind me, was about to put my arm out to indicate I'm pulling in left and a motorbike flew up my inside (from the empty left-turn lane), overtaking several cars and myself and continuing through the junction. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Hadn't noticed the coffee mug until you pointed it out! Doesn't even look like a travel mug with a closed top. Sudden spillage could cause an accident.

I tried the commuter route outbound through Rathmines the other evening - never again, too full (though good to see the popularity of cycling) and too many 'leisurely' cyclists. Not helped, though, when one of them decides to just jam on the brakes without any warning in the middle of the cycle lane because they've changed their mind about the route to take...

looks to me like they were taking the left but stopped so as not to collide with pedestrians.

a pedestrian (black shorts and tshirt, on the phone) walked out in front of her, what would you expect her to do?

a pedestrian (black shorts and tshirt, on the phone) walked out in front of her, what would you expect her to do?

No fault of the pedestrian there. The turning cyclist should've indicated and noticed the guy about to step into the junction before having to suddenly stop. Of course the filmer and other lady should have been able to stop anyway but sure...

Lack of indication is a common problem I find with other cyclists who seem to think randomly veering across lanes on a whim is acceptable.

• Advertisement

Indicate left with a hand-signal first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

benjamin d wrote: »
    No fault of the pedestrian there.

Are you sure about that?

You're right about the cyclist not indicating, but the phone numpty stepped out onto a roadway without looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I saw 4 cyclists nearly get left hooked by an audi turning off Dorset street today, the bikes were in a line going up the left when the filter light came on and the driver went without looking, luckily the bikes were going slowly and stopped in time.

The driver was completely oblivious

cjt156 wrote: »
    Are you sure about that?

You're right about the cyclist not indicating, but the phone numpty stepped out onto a roadway without looking.

Yep, there was a woman right in front of him already crossing from the other side so vehicles already had no right to pass. Once he steps in the roadway he has absolute right of way as well. You may rightly use the argument that there's no point being right and dead but it doesn't change the fact that the onus was on the cyclist to anticipate pedestrian movements and plan accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I tried the commuter route outbound through Rathmines the other evening - never again, too full (though good to see the popularity of cycling) and too many 'leisurely' cyclists. Not helped, though, when one of them decides to just jam on the brakes without any warning in the middle of the cycle lane because they've changed their mind about the route to take...

Just like driving a car
    1. You're too close if you run into the back of someone
    2. I'd rather 'sunday drivers' drove slowly, what's the alternative? They drive fast?

As daily cyclists we can't have it both ways, we can't be encouraging people to cycle but only if they do it as fast as us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Rechuchote wrote: »

In a similar vain, I'd like to thank the guy in the dump truck who gave me ample space this morning. Could hear him behind while still a few hundred metres from the junction but he just chilled out and matched my speed. I went right, he went straight on and all was well with the world. He even made the green light at the junction :D

Just north of Ashford this morning in what was an otherwise enjoyable spin. Clown:

The videos aren't working for me

I was nearly involved in two* head-on collisions today. The first as I was climbing past Massy's Estate / Hell Fire Club. A car was parked on the other side of the road, and a cyclist had just overtaken it. Another car coming downhill decided to overtake the parked car and squeeze between me and the cyclist to overtake him too. Straddling a solid white line and close passing two cyclists heading in opposite directions at the one time is some feat. Gave the driver a friendly wave, though we could have shook hands we were so close.

The second was leaving Lucan, just before reaching St. Catherine's Park. Three or four cars travelling close together towards Lucan weren't moving fast enough for a guy on a motorbike who decided to overtake them all before the roundabout. He was close enough for me to see his eyes widen when he realised I was there, changing his line at the last second. I let a roar at him as he scared the **** out of me.

* Just remembered a third incident, though not as close as the other two. A car decided to overtake a number of vehicles heading north on the R135 between Ward Cross and Coolquay. I was heading south, though luckily in the hard shoulder. Still gave him a friendly wave to let him know I exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

The shorts man and the cyclist - this is a time when a tinkle on the bell is useful, as is entering a junction at a speed where you don't have to screech to a halt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ok after a stiff whiskey I've just about calmed down from this.

Out for dinner with friends this evening. Cycling home and on West Road and I see a car suddenly overtake the car ahead of it and speed up and literally bomb down the wrong side of the road. I literally jump up on the kerb and give a wtf expression. Next thing he slammes on the brakes and flings the door open and starts roaring abuse at me. He was coked off his head. I'm convinced he was speeding from some failed gangland hit.

Lesson learned I guess is to calm down my wtf reactions. I just froze on the spot. I'm sure if I had of reacted at that point he would have pulled a gun on me.

This city is fúcked up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement