Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had this one on Sunday from a Keelings truck near the airport. Entirely unneccesary as the other lane was completely free and I was clipping along at a fair pace.

This was moments after a private hire Dublin Bus was within inches of me and forced me onto the grass. I hadn't the camera on at that stage, and was nearly going to see if it was going to the Harristown depot to see if I could spot it but I didn't.

Reported the keelings one to them and waiting to hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

On the way from Tara na Ri up to Skryne hill and had a guy overtake me on a blind bend and at the brow of the hill just missing a car by diving in front of me, I hadn't realised he had a trailer too and that was so close to me.

Unbelievable behaviour, the one day I didn't have the gopro on :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Saw this one in London on twitter last night
    https://twitter.com/lxtwin/status/1006206378309029894

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Saw this one in London on twitter last night

Loved this reply

https://twitter.com/MetCycleCops/status/1006533441205276672

Jesus I'd be having a brown shorts moment there :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

SUV left hooker this morning. Saw it as she went past so not a near miss for me, but she wasn't turning into a road, but a "driveway/parking spaces". Again nothing mad, apart from the fact that there's a busy bus stop there and she swings basically straight into the line that had to part to let her through. Obviously her haste to pass me surprised them.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Cyclist within about 1 second of being taken out on Golden Lane this morning by a taxi driver, good thing cyclist had his wits about him. Taxi driver impatiently undertook someone so he could move 20 metres to once again sit in traffic. He didn't want to wait 5 seconds for the car to turn right. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

On the way home this evening heading west on the Clonsilla road when an idiot in a ****ty old red BMW shot past me at speed against oncoming traffic with only millimetres to spare. Caught up with him (typical boy racer twat of course) when he pulled into a petrol station, naturally it wall all my fault...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That should be reported to the gardai

• Advertisement

That should be reported to the gardai

Agreed. Though it got me to thinking have there been many DB drivers before the courts or getting points etc. over the years? The cynic in my suspects not and most get referred for more "Training"

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

Today was one of those mornings. 06:45 just after leaving Blessington and a SuperValu truck over took me with cm's to spare while I was in the hard shoulder. Little futher down the road at the circle k garage just after the citywest turnoff a 4x4 pulled out in front of me without so much as a look. Puncture in harrolds x followed by a lady in an audi q5 turning left right across me with no indicator on eastwall road.

I hadn't even started the working day and I already didn't care about work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Yeah, what was up with people today? First I had a driving instructor start to begin a left hook before thinking better of it. Then I was trying to switch from an right lane into a left lane after a roundabout. I had about 15m gap ahead of the inside traffic. When I indicated we were all going around the same speed. I went to move but the car on the inside decided to put the foot down to cut me off. No amount of waving or shouting from me made them shift their gaze from straight ahead.

Neither of these qualify as a "near miss" in that I could anticipate the stupidity and carelessness before it became a serious problem, but some people need to understand that they need to give driving their full attention all the time and at least read the road directly in front of them a whole lot better (never mind reading the situation a long way down the road and around you like you should).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I was on the iBike Dublin lane protection yesterday and was standing facing the oncoming traffic. It was particularly noticeable that the coach drivers (intercity buses and tour coaches) appeared in a dream, their eyes fixed ahead and never glancing around… or at their mirrors. Except the Viking Splash drivers, who looked around at everything - and one even got his passengers to do a Viking roar at us. (Why don't they teach them the Icelandic football clap? That would be even better!)

Actually, not all of the coach drivers; two gave us a thumbs-up. But a lot of them seemed fixed in a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

gmacww wrote: »
    Today was one of those mornings. 06:45 just after leaving Blessington and a SuperValu truck over took me with cm's to spare while I was in the hard shoulder. Little futher down the road at the circle k garage just after the citywest turnoff a 4x4 pulled out in front of me without so much as a look. Puncture in harrolds x followed by a lady in an audi q5 turning left right across me with no indicator on eastwall road.

I hadn't even started the working day and I already didn't care about work!

Helluva commute!

Helluva commute!

34.8km each way, every day :)

After yesterdays adventure what happened on the way in this morning? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Grand spin in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

From this morning - I would love to know what I'm doing wrong here, this is almost a carbon copy of a video I put up here around this time last year. Driver said I should be on the cycle track and "it's a bus stop". Any ideas? :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Id just be cycling on the road well before that.

On the Drumcondra road when near St. Pats, the cycle lane has a yield sign as you get near one of the bus stops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you have his reg? i'd report that.

No need for that to have happened. All he had to do was ease off the gas a bit on approaching the stop and you'd have been clear and him pulled in at the cost of what 5 seconds?

• Advertisement

From this morning - I would love to know what I'm doing wrong here, this is almost a carbon copy of a video I put up here around this time last year. Driver said I should be on the cycle track and "it's a bus stop". Any ideas? :confused:

I go this way every day in winter time and this has happened to me a couple of times at that stop. The design of the cycling lane and bus stop doesn't help matters at all. What I do is knowing I'm coming up to the stop (and there is another very similar at the GAA club) signal well in advance that I'm moving out and once the cycling path flattens to road level move out into the bus lane. Then I stay on the road through the lights etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

gmacww wrote: »
    I go this way every day in winter time and this has happened to me a couple of times at that stop. The design of the cycling lane and bus stop doesn't help matters at all. What I do is knowing I'm coming up to the stop (and there is another very similar at the GAA club) signal well in advance that I'm moving out and once the cycling path flattens to road level move out into the bus lane. Then I stay on the road through the lights etc...

This is my route too though.

I do similar but I've had taxi drivers try and shepherd me back into the cycle lane so it's lose lose in my experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Coming round the Spawell roundabout yesterday, as I was moving over to take the third exit, 2 cars decided to stop but a moped that had stopped decided to take off again. Done my best to control my braking so I wouldn't face plant. We would have hit front wheels but I managed to fish tail my rear wheel and side ways skid. I let a roar and we skimmed off each other but he just looked at me with confusion. I don't think he even realised we connected.

More annoyed I missed his reg.

Then this morning I had a car pull out in front of me in Shankill, managed to slow and stop but I gave a bit of a dirty look, well what he didn't say. All I could think was, what was the point. I had stopped in time, all you had to do was wave, or say sorry, even looking sheepish, but no, you pulling out in front of me is entirely my fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

No need for that to have happened. All he had to do was ease off the gas a bit on approaching the stop and you'd have been clear and him pulled in at the cost of what 5 seconds?
    Exactly. I look at a lot of these videos and with heavy traffic coming from all directions, sometimes they are down to mistakes made, or fifty/fifty situations rather than badness, but that was just ignorant. There was little or no other traffic around. They wouldn't do that to a car. So, why do it to a bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

plodder wrote: »
    Exactly. I look at a lot of these videos and with heavy traffic coming from all directions, sometimes they are down to mistakes made, or fifty/fifty situations rather than badness, but that was just ignorant. There was little or no other traffic around. They wouldn't do that to a car. So, why do it to a bike?

I had a similar altercation with a bus on the rock road inbound that ended with all the emergency cut outs being triggered on the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cpl593h

First time poster here. Had a minor altercation on the Memorial Bridge this morning. I was cycling in the third lane from the left turning on to George's Quay (there are four lanes there; first two go left, third goes straight/right and fourth right only). I was ahead of all traffic and there were no cars in front of me. Just as I was about to turn right, a car came up behind me, drove past and stopped at the traffic light. I wasn't going fast as I'd seen the red light ahead and had the time to brake so no big deal (annoying and unnecessary though). I looked at the driver which must have set her off. She went "What are you looking at?". I asked her why she couldn't have just waited a few seconds to see whether I was going straight or right, and she told me I was responsible for my own safety and that I should be using a cycle lane (none on that bridge that would allow cyclists to turn right on to George's Quay). There was no point in getting into a shouting match and she didn't seem like she could be reasoned with anyway. Has anyone else had problems on that bridge and what's the best way to turn right on to George's Quay from there? Is it best to take the right-most lane from the beginning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Had one yesterday evening. Was approaching a red light at a fairly large junction with another cyclist in front of me. The junction is 4 way cross-roads, light controlled, with 2 lanes coming on and off at most exits. The road I was on also a slip road to allow cars turn left when safe to do so.
    So myself and the guy in front were approaching the junction in our cycle lane, preparing to stop at the red light. Next thing a car comes flying up passed me, tries to turn left (which would have severely cut me off), spots the guy in front of me, jams on the breaks and leans on the horn. Queue some shouting from him about how it was our fault and we should have been going left on the slip road too for some reason. How he rationalized that to himself I've no idea because we were literally in a bike lane going straight ahead (lane also splits to the left IF you want to go that way). Tosser. Time to get the GoPro out again. Commercial vehicle too with his business name all over the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

cpl593h wrote: »
    First time poster here. Had a minor altercation on the Memorial Bridge this morning. I was cycling in the third lane from the left turning on to George's Quay (there are four lanes there; first two go left, third goes straight/right and fourth right only). I was ahead of all traffic and there were no cars in front of me. Just as I was about to turn right, a car came up behind me, drove past and stopped at the traffic light. I wasn't going fast as I'd seen the red light ahead and had the time to brake so no big deal (annoying and unnecessary though). I looked at the driver which must have set her off. She went "What are you looking at?". I asked her why she couldn't have just waited a few seconds to see whether I was going straight or right, and she told me I was responsible for my own safety and that I should be using a cycle lane (none on that bridge that would allow cyclists to turn right on to George's Quay). There was no point in getting into a shouting match and she didn't seem like she could be reasoned with anyway. Has anyone else had problems on that bridge and what's the best way to turn right on to George's Quay from there? Is it best to take the right-most lane from the beginning?

If you take the right lane - you'll be stuck in the right lane once you go on to the quays.

I'd take the lane completely and signal early - force drivers to either pass you in one of the other lanes. If you don't you leave yourself open to cars going straight passing you when you're going right.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

JazzyJ wrote: »
    If you take the right lane - you'll be stuck in the right lane once you go on to the quays.

I'd take the lane completely and signal early - force drivers to either pass you in one of the other lanes. If you don't you leave yourself open to cars going straight passing you when you're going right.

I'd stay in the third lane and indicate right early enough, possibly taking the lane alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

CramCycle wrote: »
    …but no, you pulling out in front of me is entirely my fault.

You have that power.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement