Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Then there are "Bus lane not in use" signs in some places (around dundrum is one) where they've built them but dont use them.
    benjamin d wrote: »
    I actually agree with the bus lane not in use signs from dundrum towards the m50 because the way the lanes join the roundabouts there is stupid and it would be a complete shambles otherwise. It's not often I agree with letting cars have more road!
    I remember when these lanes were built hearing a story that there was come funding provided by DTO or NTA for the bus-lane bit of the road that wouldn't have been otherwise available - not sure how true it was.

It's handy for the locals at weekends, as the 'tourists' tend to stick to the outside lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

ED E wrote: »
    Its the same with cycle lanes.

If you allow an inch people take a mile.

On this, I was in Howth yesterday and counted 33 cars parked in the cycle lane on the way into the village.

Apparently it's ok once it's sunny...... :mad:

Yeah, it’s becoming the norm on busy or sunny days out there . Seen it quite a bit this year .

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

Idiot pedestrian walking on road in front of me this morning panicked on seeing me taking evasive action, and nearly flew into my front wheel.

Yes literally. Pigeon :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Taxi flew past me on the Ballyowen road this morning. Scared the bejaysus outta me.
    Caught up with him when he was stopped at lights at Griffeen Ave and, somewhat un-diplomatically of me, told him what I thought of him and his driving! He was completely oblivious to me and I know that he had no idea what I was ranting about.
    Professional driver me arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Taxi flew past me on the Ballyowen road this morning. Scared the bejaysus outta me.
    Caught up with him when he was stopped at lights at Griffeen Ave and, somewhat un-diplomatically of me, told him what I thought of him and his driving! He was completely oblivious to me and I know that he had no idea what I was ranting about.
    Professional driver me arse!

He will eventually get caught on that road, plenty of speed checks on that road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭downtheroad

dreamerb wrote: »
    Idiot pedestrian walking on road in front of me this morning panicked on seeing me taking evasive action, and nearly flew into my front wheel.

Yes literally. Pigeon :D
    Last weekend on the Royal Canal I was going under the bridge near Croke Park and a rat ran across in front of me and jumped into the canal. It could have easily been me that ended up in the water :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Shame on me this morning, left hooked by a car. I slowed to let the indicating cars turn and the car beside me flicked on the indicator as they turned. I stopped and let out a "f*ck s*ke". Then promptly turned to the Lollipop lady at the side of the road surrounded by kids and apologised profusely.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Heading towards St. Stephen's Green on Kevin St. yesterday morning when a man, fully engaged with his phone, steps into the cycle lane to cross between the stopped cars. I was pretty far away from him but I nearly came off the bike with the laughing as he walked into the jib of a mini digger on the back of the city council truck he was crossing behind but not bothered to look at. No helmet on him either, gave himself a right whack on the noggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭comanche_cor

Clipped by another cyclist this morning, traveling at a decent pace, while I was stopped at a red light for a pedestrian crossing on the north strand road!

If they made the conscious decision to break the read light but couldn't see me, not sure how they could see any pedestrian crossing!! Think this good weather is bringing out all the nutters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Last weekend on the Royal Canal I was going under the bridge near Croke Park and a rat ran across in front of me and jumped into the canal. It could have easily been me that ended up in the water :D
    I had to cycle across Paris at 4 am once to get a bus to the airport, good cycle lanes but I was like Moses parting a sea of rats in some places, that city is infested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Nearly brown bread today after a very close call with a Johnson Mooney 40 foot lorry after it overtook me just before the bend on Barnhill road heading towards Clonnee.
    He nearly hit the oncoming car coming around the corner so he had to pull back in before he had completely overtook me and the trailer nearly creamed me.
    I'm blessed as that road is in bits with the double man hole covers all the way up the road so their is no room for a mistake.
    I chased after him but he floored it knowing i was after him and didn't get the reg but i rang them straight away and i assumed that he was on his way back to the yard which isn't far away so hopefully they know who it is.
    The lady took my number and details and said someone would ring me back and said the lorries have GPS fitted.
    Its going to take more than a few burger buns for me to let this go.

I did get 3rd overall on the segment chasing him and that was into a headwind(confirmed by windsock) so it would be nice if i could use rage like that more often.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah, but you had the benefit of drafting a lorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

ah, but you had the benefit of drafting a lorry!

It was just too far away otherwise it could have been a KOM.
    Wish i had got the reg number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Approaching my parents house this evening on this road, called Loughlinstown Road locally. White van behind me tries to overtake me ~150m from my parents house but has to back off because of oncoming traffic. The view of the driveway is slightly obstructed so I always signal earlier than normal and get into a defensive position centrally in the (unmarked) lane. I'm signalling that I'm turning right for maybe 5 seconds of so. As soon as I take my hand down and begin to make my turn the white van (nothing against white vans) behind me starts to try to overtake me :eek: He jams on and swerves up my left narrowly missing me as I turn into the driveway.

Was pretty shaken after it and didn't catch his reg, but I never realised how many variations of the word f*ck could be fit into the one (roared) sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

On this, I was in Howth yesterday and counted 33 cars parked in the cycle lane on the way into the village.

Its the "cars take precedent over all else" mentality. It sucks :mad:

Reminds me of the Father Stack (Brendan Grace) in Fr Ted - "I've had my fun, and thats all that matters". It was funny because it was nail on the head as regarding certain mentalities in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I think it's OK as well, if occupants are going to divine service

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Two close passes in castleknock this morning. Taking primary and had some ball bag in a builders van skim me, forcing the oncoming car to swerve into the bus lane. Fifty meters on an not to be outdone had a second van does the same thing. Except he just seemed to do it for the craic - no oncoming vehicles. I guess my life is worth less than someone’s en suite or a new kitchen.

Had a taxi undertake me in the bus / cycle lane from O’connell bridge yesterday evening. Stupid move as he had to swerve out again to avoid the parked bus. Also travelling well in excess of the 30 kph limit. But sure he’s a taxi. Wouldn’t expect less from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Had recently moved to Smithfield, so instead of commuting the canal (which I thought it was the worse), I need now to commute part of the river, college green, Candem street - whatever I try, it is a mess. During pick hours it is almost a suicide. So it is a few weeks that I have decided (and I am not very happy with it, but I live with it) to walk or use a small foldable bike to use some inertia (instead of walking only) and make my commute slighlty shorter.
    The idea is, or was until today, to cycle at no more than 10km/h (due to small gears and weird manouvrability) - take my time, enjoy the viewing around, smile at people, stop everytime it becomes uncomfortable and push the bike until it is safe to cycle again. It implies use sometimes the footpath - I have decided to finish work later so that I can avoid rush hours and just take a breath, going home slowly. I (when I drive, ride or walk) give always right of way to pedestrians, I have never got into dangerous situation for others (for me yes, falling a few time from my racing bike, but that was dangerous for me only). Long story short, I try to make my life and the others on the road better. It never works of course, but I work on myself at least.

Today (like half an hour ago) the funniest of the things happened. The funniest ever.

So I was going home, so slow you cannot even imagine, I am on Kildare street. On the cycling path, very slow, 2 taxis passing at speed - I don't feel safe,, it's very narrow there. Bus roaring ready to pass, I move left, it is very very narrow, roaring again, he decides to pass. Danger... ok, it happens. Not the first time in Dublin.
    I see the footpath is completely free, so due to my very limited speed (it is really, like walking but with some inertia), I take the footpath.
    I cycle so slow, I forgot already about taxis and bus, I take my phone to check a message (yes, I shouldn't I agree), as soon as I arrive in front of the Archeological Musweem (is that what is it? there are always two guars in front there), I see a guard moving from left to right, I approach closer and he steps jumping in front of me. I put my leg down (mind, I didn't need to break, I just put my leg down... it was very slow!).
    I ask sorry, surprised, I go back a bit to change route - he steps in front of me.

So guard **** decided tonight to be the cowboy!
    After all this he starts "what is that? the road? or a footpath?"
    I took the arrpoach "I am sorry, accept my apologies I will step down on the road and continue there - I was going walking slow, not endangering anyone. I apologise"
    He insists "this is a footpath, and you shouldnt cycle on it and watching your phone"
    So I insist calmly (and I know here the cowboy is provoking me) "I apologise, I was not endangering anyone and I will continue on the road". I added a "I wish you were so strict with taxi drivers, bus drivers, car drivers and everyone else, I was not endangering anyone and it looked to me you first gently gave me space and the you stepped in front o f me to create a false danger"

So there he goes, proof of identification, addrrees, fine issued for incorrect behaviour to public official. I pointed out sometimes it is safer for cyclist to go on the path, at sloe speed without danger for others,because 95% of the time the cycling paths are occupied by vehicles. (wait for it...)

I reply to all his questions, I get the fine. I tak ehis number and I thank him for his services (no really, I really said "thank you", and not in a sarcastic way).
    I start moving on the cycling path, car passes me at speed at stops on the left, occupying the FULL cycling path.

I gently slow down, and I queue behind the car. Another police man gets out of the car "are you ok???". I reply that I am ok, and I am just waiting to have space on the cycling path to proceed on my way.
    He starts in a very rude attacking way "get out of the way, I need to park on the left there. Get out of the way and that's all"
    So I say "I just have been told to cycle here from one of your colleagues, which issued me a fine for not cycling on this path. I am patiently waiting for free way, I am not in a rush and I don't mean to offend you in any way"
    The asnwer was "get out of the way plus a few other sentecnes I couldnt get - strong Irish accent iis difficult for us sometimes.
    In the meanwhile the a third police man came there suggesting me to shut up and go away.

The cowboys tonight. A full new experience to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its always fúcking beamers......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Wish the gardai were more vigilant on the blatant abuse of the bus lane at arran quay the other morning. Three of them parked on their mountain bikes on the path outside the spar there. Private cars whizzed down the bus lane without a jot of attention. Maybe it was the start of a Garda group spin?

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Wish the gardai were more vigilant on the blatant abuse of the bus lane at arran quay the other morning. Three of them parked on their mountain bikes on the path outside the spar there. Private cars whizzed down the bus lane without a jot of attention. Maybe it was the start of a Garda group spin?

I realise that would be the ideal scenario but to be fair, they were probably assigned to other duties. It is one of the main reasons I would have made a terrible Garda, I wouldn't be able to hold back my ego from the blatant up yours the cars are giving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cyclist vs Coach in town.
    In the city centre, emergency services are dealing with an incident on Dame St at the Trinity St jct blocking one lane towards Christchurch, with delays both ways.
    Collision on Dame st at trinityt st outbound Coach and cyclist delays to both outbound and inbound please drive with care.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

Close call on O'Donovan Rossa Bridge this morning. Took the middle lane as I was turning right down the Quays. Black Merc in the right hand swerves out to within inches of me. Had the swerve left to avoid been taken out. Of course caught up with him due to the usual traffic on the Quays. Told him he was way too close back there. Wouldn't even look at me, just kept staring straight ahead.
    Middle-age men in Merc's.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

ED E wrote: »
    Cyclist vs Coach in town.

Was the driver injured?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No cyclist involved - according to the journal, it was a pedestrian.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dame-st-crash-4098689-Jun2018/

I think the Tweet is actually to say there are delays for both Coaches and Cyclists.

Some of the comments wuold make you wonder...
    @Chris Hammond: How many deaths each year are caused by the arrogance of cyclists?

Surprised this is the first time this summer of that. Cyclists mount paths and weave in and out of traffic and pedestrians just dash across the road from behind cars. The driver probably didn’t see them but I hope they’re okay
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Some of the comments wuold make you wonder...

:confused:
    Apart from the DCC tweet, did the article originally reference a cyclist instead of a pedestrian? I've noticed sneaky edits in the Journal before, makes the comments even more confusing.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Apart from the DCC tweet, did the article originally reference a cyclist instead of a pedestrian? I've noticed sneaky edits in the Journal before, makes the comments even more confusing.
    I was thinking more about the dickheads who blame the incident on the cyclist because they once a cyclist on a footpath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I think given the comments of Charlie Flanagan the other day I'm going to start bombarding the Garda Twitter account with screenshots of blackspots for parking in the cycle lanes.

this will of course involve a good bit of effort and also signing up for Twitter but I'm willing to make that sacrifice! will be interesting (read disheartening) to see what happens as a result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement