Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

People have been prosecuted for that in the UK. Did you see how it was done - bottle or water pistol or what? How old was the son?

I think it was the contents of a bottle the ( 14 year old?) cyclist was pretty shook up, I caught up with the car about 5 miles away. There were 4 boys about 14/15 in the car along with the mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Chiparus wrote: »
    I think it was the contents of a bottle the ( 14 year old?) cyclist was pretty shook up, I caught up with the car about 5 miles away. There were 4 boys about 14/15 in the car along with the mother.

Doesn't sound accidental or unavoidable really.

Doesn't sound accidental or unavoidable really.

oh she admitted it was deliberate, and that she had "chastised" the boy for doing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I don't think autism is an excuse for that. I mean I've a fairly limited knowledge of autism but I don't think that is the kind of thing an autistic kid would do, sounds like the kind of thing a little sh*t would do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I don't think autism is an excuse for that. I mean I've a fairly limited knowledge of autism but I don't think that is the kind of thing an autistic kid would do, sounds like the kind of thing a little sh*t would do though.

There is no such thing as a bold child anymore... just children with ADHD, on the spectrum etc.. etc..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭The Kop

If you have a fairly limited knowledge of Autism,maybe you shouldn't be making comments like that about Autism.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The Kop wrote: »
    If you have a fairly limited knowledge of Autism,maybe you shouldn't be making comments like that about Autism.

???? I'm saying I don't think a kid with autism would do it but a little sh*t who doesn't have autism would. What's wrong with saying that? :rolleyes:

I work with a number of autistic people and my cousins kids are autistic and none of them would behave like that.

To be fair there are a lot of blame for "personality disorders" on "autism spectrum"- which is unfair on autism.
    I actually believe the mother was duplicitious , she made no attemp to stop and apologise to the cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

and yes, that's nothing to do with a driver being distracted, that's a driver cutting past stationary traffic (into the oncoming lane) and swinging a left. it's bad driving full stop, not distraction.

I wouldn't even call that "poor" or "careless" driving. It was an illegal and outright dangerous manuevre fuelled by the wrong selfish attitude that's too prevalent on the roads now and it could easily have resulted in the deaths of 1 or both of those cyclists. If the timing had been 1 second off what it was, the taxi could have hit them full on with the front of the car, rather than them going over his bonnet.

Sorry, but if I had my way, instant revoking of his PSV licence and a six month driving ban. I've said it on another thread, but until the authorities wake up and start making examples, selfish and dangerous people will continue making the roads more dangerous for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

Close one for this morning, one cyclist Tboned by another - https://youtu.be/Dts5F9tBEpU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

ewc78 wrote: »
    I think everyone needs to look out for their own safety as well as be mindful of others.

So yes I do think cyclists should be advised to watch out for stupid drivers.

:confused: So what should the two cyclists in the video have done? Before approaching a junction where they have right of way, car traffic is queuing behind them and there is no approaching traffic, come to a complete stop and check behind them for drivers on the wrong side of the road that might possibly turn at the junction without indicating? How can you be vigilant for that sort of stupid driver?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

buffalo wrote: »
    :confused: So what should the two cyclists in the video have done? Before approaching a junction where they have right of way, car traffic is queuing behind them and there is no approaching traffic, come to a complete stop and check behind them for drivers on the wrong side of the road that might possibly turn at the junction without indicating? How can you be vigilant for that sort of stupid driver?
    I meant in general everyone needs to look out for their own safety. Obviously accidents happen that no matter how careful or vigilant you are will still happen because of the stupid actions of others. I really don't know what you find so hard to understand by what I said. I wasn't even talking about the video in question I meant in general. Are you saying you disagree with me and cyclists shouldn't look out for themselves and they should leave their own safety completely in the hands of others and not be vigilant for stupid drivers?

Try1ng wrote: »
    Close one for this morning, one cyclist Tboned by another - https://youtu.be/Dts5F9tBEpU

Pesky motorists causing accidents to cyclists again..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

I meant in general everyone needs to look out for their own safety. Obviously accidents happen that no matter how careful or vigilant you are will still happen because of the stupid actions of others. I really don't know what you find so hard to understand by what I said. I wasn't even talking about the video in question I meant in general. Are you saying you disagree with me and cyclists shouldn't look out for themselves and they should leave their own safety completely in the hands of others and not be vigilant for stupid drivers?

You say it's a general warning, but the message to 'be more vigilant' was in direct response to that video. I'm wondering how much vigilance do you expect cyclists to practice?

The over-riding message should be to all road users, especially those driving powerful motor-driven vehicles, to obey the rules and be vigilant of more vulnerable road users. Muddying it with a call for the victims to be more careful is worse than useless.

buffalo wrote: »
    You say it's a general warning, but the message to 'be more vigilant' was in direct response to that video. I'm wondering how much vigilance do you expect cyclists to practice?

The over-riding message should be to all road users, especially those driving powerful motor-driven vehicles, to obey the rules and be vigilant of more vulnerable road users. Muddying it with a call for the victims to be more careful is worse than useless.

No it wasn't in direct response to that video. I didn't even see the video in question until you mentioned it above . I don't read every post on here. I saw a post where someone said cyclists should be more vigilant of stupid drivers and I agreed with it and wrote a post myself,that's it,nothing else. No agenda no cyclists bashing nothing.
    You seem to have gone off on a rant here that has nothing to do with what I said. I completely agree that everyone needs to follow the rules of the road.I also think everyone needs to look after their own safety first and not leave it in the hands of strangers. You seem to be really struggling with that opinion for some reason.
    If I'm driving a car I'm vigilant of stupid drivers, cyclists, pedestrians. If I'm cycling I do the same.
    When my kids are old enough to go out on their bikes on their own I'll tell them to do the same. It's a pretty simple thing to understand, I'm not sure what you're not getting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Wasn't too sure of where to post this, but had a strange interaction with a garda car this morning. I cycle daily from finglas to town via the R135/Finglas Road, always in the bus lane as the cycle lane is shared with pedestrians, including school kids and frequent bus stops.

This morning a garda car was behind me, so i was making sure to indicate that i was pulling out around man hole covers etc.
    After 30 seconds sitting behind me i hear the siren so i prepare to move in to the kerb to let them by. At this point they pull alongside and ask me to stop.

3 garda in the car, the one in the front passenger seat speaks to me.

Garda: why aren't you using the cycle lane?
    Me: because its shared with pedestrians and children, its dangerous when i cycle at 40+ kph so i use the bus lane instead
    G: you cant use the bus lane, its mandatory to use the cycle lane
    Me: it isn't mandatory, its optional. It isn't a cycle lane, its a path with a line in it and school kids, and dogs are being walked across the full path there *points* its just not safe
    G: you need to get off the road now and into the cycle lane, you're obstructing busses
    Me: i havent held up any busses and it isn't mandatory to use the cycle path. The road sign there for the bus lane shows a bus and a cyclist. *points again*
    G: get off the road and use the bus lane
    Me: im going to continue as i was, if im breaking a law, ill take a ticket.

He rolled up his window, i cycled on in the middle of the lane and they stayed right behind me until i moved around a fire brigade taking up the whole road seeing to a car crash that had taken place, but no more sirens and no pulling in.

I find the whole thing bizarre that a garda is telling me something that is blatantly not true. I felt i was being cheeky in arguing, but doing so in a confident and respectful tone, it never got heated or anything. Still.it doesnt sit right with me for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

No it wasn't in direct response to that video. I didn't even see the video in question until you mentioned it above . You seem to have gone off on a rant here that has nothing to do with what I said. I completely agree that everyone needs to follow the rules of the road.I also think everyone needs to look after their own safety first and not leave it in the hands of strangers. You seem to be really struggling with that opinion for some reason.
    If I'm driving a car I'm vigilant of stupid drivers, cyclists, pedestrians. If I'm cycling I do the same.
    When my kids are old enough to go out on their bikes on their own I'll tell them to do the same. It's a pretty simple thing to understand, I'm not sure what you're not getting about it.

I agree with you on this. Years and years ago when I had driving lessons my instructor told me to assume that everyone else on the road will make mistakes. Don't assume that other car will stop at the junction etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

VW 1 wrote: »
    Wasn't too sure of where to post this, but had a strange interaction with a garda car this morning. I cycle daily from finglas to town via the R135/Finglas Road, always in the bus lane as the cycle lane is shared with pedestrians, including school kids and frequent bus stops.

This morning a garda car was behind me, so i was making sure to indicate that i was pulling out around man hole covers etc.
    After 30 seconds sitting behind me i hear the siren so i prepare to move in to the kerb to let them by. At this point they pull alongside and ask me to stop.

3 garda in the car, the one in the front passenger seat speaks to me.

Garda: why aren't you using the cycle lane?
    Me: because its shared with pedestrians and children, its dangerous when i cycle at 40+ kph so i use the bus lane instead
    G: you cant use the bus lane, its mandatory to use the cycle lane
    Me: it isn't mandatory, its optional. It isn't a cycle lane, its a path with a line in it and school kids, and dogs are being walked across the full path there *points* its just not safe
    G: you need to get off the road now and into the cycle lane, you're obstructing busses
    Me: i havent held up any busses and it isn't mandatory to use the cycle path. The road sign there for the bus lane shows a bus and a cyclist. *points again*
    G: get off the road and use the bus lane
    Me: im going to continue as i was, if im breaking a law, ill take a ticket.

He rolled up his window, i cycled on in the middle of the lane and they stayed right behind me until i moved around a fire brigade taking up the whole road seeing to a car crash that had taken place, but no more sirens and no pulling in.

I find the whole thing bizarre that a garda is telling me something that is blatantly not true. I felt i was being cheeky in arguing, but doing so in a confident and respectful tone, it never got heated or anything. Still.it doesnt sit right with me for some reason.

Should have asked for his badge number, that usually shuts that type of Guard up.

mloc123 wrote: »
    I agree with you on this. Years and years ago when I had driving lessons my instructor told me to assume that everyone else on the road will make mistakes. Don't assume that other car will stop at the junction etc..

Thank you. And that basically in a nutshell is what I mean. Some however seem to take issue with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

context is key.

• Advertisement

Pesky motorists causing accidents to cyclists again..;)
    did the motorists stopped in the yellow box contribute to accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Thank you. And that basically in a nutshell is what I mean. Some however seem to take issue with that.

The issue is that while it's a good idea to be vigilant and defensive in your cycling and driving, there are limits. If you're overly worried about stupidity, you would never, for instance, over-take a vehicle on a motorway in case it swerved into your lane. So there are clearly times when you just have to hope that someone isn't going to do something silly.

When someone does do something incredibly irresponsible - say going to the wrong side of the road in stopped traffic and cutting back across the yellow-box and cycle lane without looking or indicating, colliding with 2 cyclists in their lane - the main message shouldn't be: people need to be more vigilant and defensive. It should be that people who wilfully risk other people's lives shouldn't be allowed to drive again.

I appreciate there's a balance but, too often, people say that cyclists should be more vigilant when they really should be saying that dangerous driving is unacceptable. That's why you're getting a reaction.

I appreciate there's a balance but, too often, people say that cyclists should be more vigilant when they really should be saying that dangerous driving is unacceptable. That's why you're getting a reaction.

I would be more inclined to say cyclists(and drivers, pedestrians) should be more vigilant AND dangerous driving/cycling is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

long post about gardai...

That is atrocious. Definitely report that behaviour. It sounds like 3 boyos out to wave their dicks around and intimidate a "bloody cyclist". None of them knowing a basic law between three Gardai deserves a report in itself. I'm sure the local station to where it happened can track who was in that area at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

benjamin d wrote: »
    That is atrocious. Definitely report that behaviour. It sounds like 3 boyos out to wave their dicks around and intimidate a "bloody cyclist". None of them knowing a basic law between three Gardai deserves a report in itself. I'm sure the local station to where it happened can track who was in that area at that time.

I think I most likely will report, raging I didn't take note of the badge number. I'll pop into Finglas Garda Station this evening to speak to them and see what can be done.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think I most likely will report, raging I didn't take note of the badge number. I'll pop into Finglas Garda Station this evening to speak to them and see what can be done.
    Ask for a reference number also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

While reporting it sounds like a good idea, the only problem is that it can be turned around to you "not following the directions of a Garda". You not cycling in the cycle lane is no longer an issue as soon as they stop to to you.

Last time I didn't let a car past in the buslane (due to narrow gap and lane position of a truck, he ("unmarked") turned on the siren and I moved into the main lane after the obstruction. He got 50m up the road and got blocked by a bus and shouted at me not to block traffic :rolleyes:
    I told him I moved aside when safe to which he replied the siren meant to get out of the way immediately as he had been behind me "for ages". I disputed his obvious desire to get home while stuck behind the bus, and proceeded on my way.

For some, there's little that can be done and arguing with a third party will at best be met with a shrug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Idleater wrote: »
    While reporting it sounds like a good idea, the only problem is that it can be turned around to you "not following the directions of a Garda". You not cycling in the cycle lane is no longer an issue as soon as they stop to to you.

The Guard would have to have a reason for giving those instructions in the first place before one could be done for not following the instructions.

Chiparus wrote: »
    did the motorists stopped in the yellow box contribute to accident?

It's possible one of the motorists was wearing a Golf jumper and spooked the cyclist, causing him to cycle in front of the other cyclist.

• Advertisement

It's possible one of the motorists was wearing a Golf jumper and spooked the cyclist, causing him to cycle in front of the other cyclist.
    Might have been surfing on his phone and did not realise he had stopped in the yellow box, happens a lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement