Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Steam still coming out my ears. Was going right at the roundabout (3rd exit) and took the correct road position on the roundabout (green line). Car coming from the direction of my first exit (red line) starts flying up my inside on the roundabout taking her 2nd exit (my 3rd). I have to go to the left hand side coming out of the roundabout to assume my correct road position coming off the roundabout (with arm out indicating at point 1) but had I not done my lifesaver she would have creamed me on the inside, point 2. :eek: She started waving her hands giving out then started getting aggressively close to my back wheel and eventually overtook, looked straight ahead and put the foot down. I shouted "ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?".

Me Green line, her Red line.

455581.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Steam still coming out my ears. Was going right at the roundabout (3rd exit) and took the correct road position on the roundabout (green line). Car coming from the direction of my first exit (red line) starts flying up my inside on the roundabout about taking her 2nd exit (my 3rd). I have to go to the left hand side coming out of the roundabout to assume my correct road position coming off the roundabout (with arm out indicating at point 1) but had I not done my lifesaver she would have creamed me on the inside, point 2. :eek: She started waving her hands giving out then started getting aggressively close to my back wheel and eventually overtook, looked straight ahead and put the foot down. I shouted "ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?".

Me Green line, her Red line.

455581.JPG

Very annoying, there's arseh0les everywhere.
    I was cycling in this morning at a fair clip and a fellow cyclist decided to overtake me and then freewheel right in front of me. I had to overtake them again which made me feel a bit of a dick!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Maddening thing is there looks to be a parking space across the street that van could be in.

Van is parked opposite a traffic island and depending on time of day is in a clearway. 100m away is a clearway 24/7. DSPS drive passed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Not trying to be smart here, two things I witnessed in the last couple of days in a busy country village. First a guy on a mountain bike with a small terrier dog on a lead running a long side him as he cycled on the road. Has to be looking for trouble. The second the next evening while sitting in the car outside a garage a car turning in left and had clearly indicated and slowed down to a crawl a guy on a big bike came along a hit the passangers door and fell off the bike and was very lucky only grazed his knee and arm, the bike was easily travelling at 30 to 40km and the guy was down in racing position and never seen the car or attempts to brake or slow down and proceeds to attack the young girl for being in the wrong and how valuable his bike was and she would pay for all damages. Two of us witnessed the whole thing and helped the rider up and cleaned his cuts and told him how lucky he was and all he wanted was her insurance details for his bike and did not want the guards called. The guards arrived and did not want to get involved as no body was hurt. The damage to the bike was small and the guy was lucky to get no break of bones. Sorry for the long post but these two guys were not helping cyclists and don’t get me wrong see so many bad drivers on country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭CircleofLife

I have to ask, as a pedestrian, have you guys noticed an increased amount of idiots (mainly cyclists and pedestrians which is why I'm saying it here) in Dublin city lately? I have seen so many incidents since the sunny weather started. I've also had quite a few incidents where cyclists have decided to jump onto the pavement right in front of me, to the extent where I've had to stop or sidestep quite a bit to avoid being hit. That said, one of the worst that I've seen is when a mother, crossing against the lights at College Green, pushed her pram straight out in front of a cyclist and proceeded to tell him that if he hadn't stopped she would have killed him... In short the sunny weather has brought out the twats.

Edited: just removed a bit about lights that I had in. I don't want to talk about cyclist behaviour (or pedestrian) in general, I was just making an observation about the lack of general awareness I have seen since the sunny weather started from some in both groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I have to ask, as a pedestrian, have you guys noticed an increased amount of idiots (mainly cyclists and pedestrians which is why I'm saying it here) in Dublin city lately? I have seen so many incidents since the sunny weather started. I've also had quite a few incidents where cyclists have decided to either break the lights when I was crossing at a green light or jump onto the pavement right in front of me, to the extent where I've had to stop or sidestep quite a bit to avoid being hit. That said, one of the worst that I've seen is when a mother, crossing against the lights at College Green, pushed her pram straight out in front of a cyclist and proceeded to tell him that if he hadn't stopped she would have killed him... In short the sunny weather has brought out the twats.

Cant say I have noticed this as such . There would be more people cycling on the road been summer anyway so an increase in numbers would bring about more chance of misdemeanors by the law of averages. I have noticed more pedestrians stepping out of roads around town without looking and having to take evasive action though which again prob comes with more people walking due to good weather. Both scenarios are an improvemnet anyway then people in cars, vans, buses hitting pedestrians

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Taxi turned across me last night in Batterstown, pulled alongside me and started to slow and the turn was only 5 metres away so i knew what was happening. Indicator came on as he turned and I had already hauled on the brakes and turned with him. I let a roar but he didn't even slow or stop.

I was travelling at 45kmph, he would have lost less than a second.

Part of me, feeling idiotic, wishes i had just hit the car and be done with it. Professional driver me hole.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The second the next evening while sitting in the car outside a garage a car turning in left and had clearly indicated and slowed down to a crawl a guy on a big bike came along a hit the passangers door and fell off the bike and was very lucky only grazed his knee and arm, the bike was easily travelling at 30 to 40km and the guy was down in racing position and never seen the car or attempts to brake or slow down and proceeds to attack the young girl for being in the wrong and how valuable his bike was and she would pay for all damages. Two of us witnessed the whole thing and helped the rider up and cleaned his cuts and told him how lucky he was and all he wanted was her insurance details for his bike and did not want the guards called. The guards arrived and did not want to get involved as no body was hurt. The damage to the bike was small and the guy was lucky to get no break of bones. Sorry for the long post but these two guys were not helping cyclists and don’t get me wrong see so many bad drivers on country roads.
    In fairness the car would either have passed the bike seconds before it approached the filling station and would have known it was approaching and it then turned left into the path of the cyclist. Alternatively the car turned right into the filling station into the oncoming cyclist.
    I'm not saying that the cyclist should not be aware of what's ahead but to me it sounds like the car caused the incident and is the one at fault.

Still, which bit is a negative for cyclists? The guy pissed off with the poor girl or that he had the tenacity to get knocked down? You certainly portray it as being the cyclists fault but I dont think it was.

Nonetheless you claim to know the speed of the cyclist (with a 33% variance in your opinion). How is that relevant when a car turns in front of you?

Maybe you haven't given us all the information. Was the cyclist on the road or hard shoulder? How slow was the driver going when they went into the garage (you were able to take a wild guess at the cyclists speed)?
    How far from the car was the cyclist when the car started to turn?
    Who had right of way?

Also, you cleaned his cuts??? WTF?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭The Kop

Not trying to be smart here, two things I witnessed in the last couple of days in a busy country village. First a guy on a mountain bike with a small terrier dog on a lead running a long side him as he cycled on the road. Has to be looking for trouble.

Lol that's a new one.Never seen that before.

I've noticed lately some people cycling with those trailer for kids attached to the bike. I can't for the life of me understand how any responsible parent could even think of going out on a public road with kids in one of those contraptions.
    This is not about who would be right or wrong if someone hit the trailer, this is about putting your kids in the firing line.
    Seen one guy sail through a set of red lights in Lucan the other day with one of those trailers and kids inside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I have to ask, as a pedestrian, have you guys noticed an increased amount of idiots (mainly cyclists and pedestrians which is why I'm saying it here) in Dublin city lately? I have seen so many incidents since the sunny weather started. I've also had quite a few incidents where cyclists have decided to either break the lights when I was crossing at a green light or jump onto the pavement right in front of me, to the extent where I've had to stop or sidestep quite a bit to avoid being hit. That said, one of the worst that I've seen is when a mother, crossing against the lights at College Green, pushed her pram straight out in front of a cyclist and proceeded to tell him that if he hadn't stopped she would have killed him... In short the sunny weather has brought out the twats.

There is a cycle path in front of the LUAS stop at St Stephen's Green.

Apparently it's more fun to drive alongside it if you are going down York St - weave it and out of the lilac planters on the pavement and then go haring down the pavement in front of RCSI.

Oh and in the case of the idiot yesterday - tell the person they nearly knocked over to "f**king get out the way b**ch".

Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It appears that the weather has also affected some of the recent posters on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Kop wrote: »
    I've noticed lately some people cycling with those trailer for kids attached to the bike. I can't for the life of me understand how any responsible parent could even think of going out on a public road with kids in one of those contraptions.
    This is not about who would be right or wrong if someone hit the trailer, this is about putting your kids in the firing line.
    How many kids die in cars each year compared to how many kids die in cargo bikes each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How many kids die in cars each year compared to how many kids die in cargo bikes each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lol that's a new one.Never seen that before.

Seen one guy sail through a set of red lights in Lucan the other day with one of those trailers and kids inside.

Cycle much yourself?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Cycle much yourself?

Yeah quite a bit actually. Log about 100miles a week to work and back.

Talk about a straw-man.
    What's the point you're making with that question or are you looking for someone else to go off and do the research for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I have to ask, as a pedestrian, have you guys noticed an increased amount of idiots (mainly cyclists and pedestrians which is why I'm saying it here) in Dublin city lately?

Welcome to the cycling forum where we loved to be called idiots. Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Talk about a straw-man.
    What's the point you're making with that question or are you looking for someone else to go off and do the research for you

Car accidents are responsible for 37% of childhood deaths annually. goo.gl/1ZKnye
    Cargo bikes are responsible for 0. Statistically, putting your child in a car is the single most irresponsible thing you can do to them.

So it's not a strawman to claim in response to someone who only came on here to say "that's dangerous because I think it looks dangerous", when the evidence shows the opposite is true. Would that person claim a driver is a bad and irresponsible parent? Unlikely, but on the weight of evidence that's where they should be directing their moralistic posts.

benjamin d wrote: »
    Car accidents are responsible for 37% of childhood deaths annually. goo.gl/1ZKnye
    Cargo bikes are responsible for 0. Statistically, putting your child in a car is the single most irresponsible thing you can do to them.

So it's not a strawman to claim in response to someone who only came on here to say "that's dangerous because I think it looks dangerous", when the evidence shows the opposite is true. Would that person claim a driver is a bad and irresponsible parent? Unlikely, but on the weight of evidence that's where they should be directing their moralistic posts.

It's crap statistics. How many people die flying a kite across the road? 0? Must be safe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

It's crap statistics. How many people die flying a kite across the road? 0? Must be safe so.

Ok then let's ignore the cargo bike (since it's so safe there are literally no death stats)

How about that 37% of childhood deaths figure? Is that a crap statistic? If cycling stats were within an ass's roar of that figure bikes would have been banned years ago. Will I expect to see you outside Leinster house calling for an end to motor vehicles? Because if you're concerned about child safety that's exactly what you should be doing.

In fact all the stats point towards banning cars - law breaking, pollution, cost to taxpayers, public safety... all vehicle and driver issues that are hugely detrimental to society.

So will I meet you at the Dail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

In fairness the car would either have passed the bike seconds before it approached the filling station and would have known it was approaching and it then turned left into the path of the cyclist. Alternatively the car turned right into the filling station into the oncoming cyclist.
    I'm not saying that the cyclist should not be aware of what's ahead but to me it sounds like the car caused the incident and is the one at fault.

According to the initial post, the car was turning left. If it had been turning right, the driver would certainly have been wrong.

The initial poster would need to clarify but it certainly doesn't automatically follow that the car had passed the bike seconds before turning left. As I read it, the cyclist should give way to a car turning left in front of him (again assuming that car hadn't just overtaken him and cut straight across him).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

benjamin d wrote: »
    Ok then let's ignore the cargo bike (since it's so safe there are literally no death stats)

How about that 37% of childhood deaths figure? Is that a crap statistic? If cycling stats were within an ass's roar of that figure bikes would have been banned years ago. Will I expect to see you outside Leinster house calling for an end to motor vehicles? Because if you're concerned about child safety that's exactly what you should be doing.

In fact all the stats point towards banning cars - law breaking, pollution, cost to taxpayers, public safety... all vehicle and driver issues that are hugely detrimental to society.

So will I meet you at the Dail?

I think you need to clarify what this statistic actually means. Are you really saying that 37% of all children (U18?) who die in a given year are killed in a car accident? That seems unlikely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They are really safe and have excellent protection. I'd have no issue using one and know several who do.

What's that got to do with anything I said?
    You have a habit of turning everything back to cars. You need to change the record mate.
    I personally wouldn't put my kids in one of those contraptions. I think parents who do are irresponsible. It really has nothing to do with cars or the amount of kids who are killed in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

I personally wouldn't put my kids in one of those contraptions. I think parents who do are irresponsible. It really has nothing to do with cars or the amount of kids who are killed in either.

361343.jpg

Had to be done.

CramCycle wrote: »
    They are really safe and have excellent protection. I'd have no issue using one and know several who do.

Good for you. I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Good for you. I wouldn't.

I'm confused; could you possibly elaborate on the difference of outcome between having kids in one of those cargo attachment thingies vs. the family cycling train with kids following their parents on bikes? Both are on the road with their parents, behind their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

What's that got to do with anything I said?
    You have a habit of turning everything back to cars. You need to change the record mate.

doesn't it? you're calling trailers dangerous and parents who use them irresponsible but then ignoring people's comments about observable safety relative to other transport options. why start a debate and then refuse to engage with it?

I'm one of those parents that you think is irresponsible btw. I could go on all day about the benefits of using the trailer but I doubt you care - however I personally feel safer on the road with the trailer behind me than I do when cycling solo. my personal experience (as well as that of plenty of "irresponsible" parents posting on other threads on this forum) is that motorists give more space when overtaking the bike + trailer. that's a fairly shocking reflection on motorists who either consciously or subconsciously demonstrate their increased willingness to endanger me when I'm cycling on my own.

the below quote from here is really horrifying. this was only published this year so I can't see equivalent stats for years since 2013. don't for a second think that having children in your car is some sort of magically safe way to transport them.
    Forty-three children were killed on the State’s roads in 2013, compared with 163 in 1996, the study published in the Irish Medical Journal says.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Martin567 wrote: »
    I think you need to clarify what this statistic actually means. Are you really saying that 37% of all children (U18?) who die in a given year are killed in a car accident? That seems unlikely.
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2015/TRAFFIC-COLLISIONS-LEADING-CAUSE-OF-CHILD-MORTALITY-IN-IRELAND/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

The solution is obvious, we need to either ban roads or children.

Or both.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement