Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Think it’s marked by the black diamond on a yellow back ground

Tunnel is fully open now according to Garda Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Think it’s marked by the black diamond on a yellow back ground

There's a few such routes, there's one between the N2 and N3 to avoid large parts of the M50, and I've seen others around the Tallaght/N7/Lucan area. Can't remember which sign is which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Work is down by The Point so they were everywhere from lunchtime on. NCR wasn't too bad after Phibsborough but was heavier than usual from D1 to there. Incident free spin home though, which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i came home over the eastlink, northbound. traffic wasn't *too* bad on approach from the south, but heavy going north from it; not a single garda to be seen directing traffic despite the jams. not sure if the HGVs already have instructions on the route to take in case the tunnel is closed, whether there's a preferred route to get to the M50 for them.

I noticed that too, no Gardaí anywhere and obviously people decide they can take a liberal approach to the ROTR just because traffic is so mental...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Just back from three weeks in France, on holidays.

I was particularly struck by how much more slowly they drive in urban situations.

Also there are two key differences:

(i) there are very regular signs showing speed limit. 30k speed limits were the norm in urban areas.
    (ii) there are very regular breaks in the road, either speed bumps or roundabouts.

By contrast, I'm back here and looking at cars in my area - Clonliffe Road, Drumcondra Road, Richmond Road - urban residential streets where they are hitting 50k per hour within the law; and probably edging over it towards 60k and highly likely to get away with it. Its just too fast.

The other thing -

Having taken a spill from the bike (to avoid car), and having had two bikes stolen recently, and having met too many people this year who've had bike accidents - I've decided to give up cycling for commuting purposes. Going to walk instead, it takes longer, but I'm not worrying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 victor17

After weeks of generally hassle-free cycling, I had two close passes within seconds of each other earlier this week (date and time on the camera are wrong). https://youtu.be/wBxYiOzsg3s The second one by the BMW was particulary frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

you're right about the 2nd one but neither are good.

if I were you I'd take a more assertive / defensive position in the road, keep out another couple of feet from the gutter. that prevents the option to dangerously squeeze past you when there's oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

victor17 wrote: »
    After weeks of generally hassle-free cycling, I had two close passes within seconds of each other earlier this week (date and time on the camera are wrong). https://youtu.be/wBxYiOzsg3s The second one by the BMW was particulary frightening.

You have to move out in the lane. I cycle this route daily and know the drill. Honestly, if you cycle as close to the left as you are in that clip people will definitely attempt to squeeze passed. I would consider staying out 1 meter from the kerb, especially given that the road you're on ends in a pinch point just after the end of this clip.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

chapeau to the cyclist i saw today on the merrion road, who cut across traffic to get into the lane to cross at the merrion gates, without looking or indicating. the chapeau is for managing not to die and having the gall to curse at the car behind who beeped at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Maybe he used his Magic Wand* and couldn't figure out why it didn't work.

*Cyclists people on bikes who think that sticking your arm out for a hand signal makes traffic magically disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Micra gave me less than a foot passing.
    Pointless, passed him at lights 30 seconds later, you can guess the Micra driver profile. Was just missing the white cane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

site_owner wrote: »

Micra gave me less than a foot passing.
    Pointless, passed him at lights 30 seconds later, you can guess the Micra driver profile. Was just missing the white cane.
    But sure you had that white line protecting you!
    Bloody whinging cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Not a near miss but cycling home just now, in the bus/cycle lane up the Malahide Road to Artane Roundabout, wearing helmet, hi vis, 2 rear lights and 1 very bright front light. As I exited the roundabout at my exit I got shouted at by a random driver, who I wasn't blocking or in the way of and he used a completely different exit, "use the cycle lane you stupid pr!ck".

What a hero.

Not a near miss but cycling home just now, in the bus/cycle lane up the Malahide Road to Artane Roundabout, wearing helmet, hi vis, 2 rear lights and 1 very bright front light. As I exited the roundabout at my exit I got shouted at by a random driver, who I wasn't blocking or in the way of and he used a completely different exit, "use the cycle lane you stupid pr!ck".

What a hero.

I could nearly put money on you being able to quite rightly shout back use your indicators you stupid prick when he was exiting the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 victor17

You have to move out in the lane. I cycle this route daily and know the drill. Honestly, if you cycle as close to the left as you are in that clip people will definitely attempt to squeeze passed. I would consider staying out 1 meter from the kerb, especially given that the road you're on ends in a pinch point just after the end of this clip.

Thanks, I’ll try that. FWIW, I actually rang Traffic Watch and reported that second close pass. The guards rang me and requested to see the footage. Didn’t expect much would come out of it so wasn’t disappointed! Was told there was nothing they could do (as the minimum passing distance legislation is still not in effect).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hurrache wrote: »
    Apparently there is, don't know if it's common knowledge amongst drivers that's rolled out to them by their employers
    https://twitter.com/LiveDrive/status/1034806609384497152?s=19

Hmm, there was a 5 axle truck driving through the IFSC yesterday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    (ii) there are very regular breaks in the road, either speed bumps or roundabouts.

We have this too. We call them Potholes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Just a quick query regarding scooters. I was cycling over new broombridge Wednesday morning and the traffic was crawling due to kids being back in school. As I just got over the bridge, a scooter came up behind me in the bike lane. Obviously there was no room for him/her to pass for another two or so minutes but it got me thinking is it okay for scooters to be in bike lanes? I’ve only started cycling to work so I’ve never come across this before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just a quick query regarding scooters. I was cycling over new broombridge Wednesday morning and the traffic was crawling due to kids being back in school. As I just got over the bridge, a scooter came up behind me in the bike lane. Obviously there was no room for him/her to pass for another two or so minutes but it got me thinking is it okay for scooters to be in bike lanes? I’ve only started cycling to work so I’ve never come across this before.

What sort of scooter, a kid (or adult) on a push one or a moped. Yes to the former, no to the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

CramCycle wrote: »
    What sort of scooter, a kid (or adult) on a push one or a moped. Yes to the former, no to the latter.

It was a retro/vintage style moped. Thanks that’s good to know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I typically don't mind it as its not that common but being a judgemental ass, those fake vintage mopeds spook me a little because they are typically riders with no experience or consideration (he says with no proof), flying around the place like they are on a BMX in a skatepark. Legally, no, morally, depends on whether they are being a douche bag or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

AKA hair dryer on wheels.

I think it would be the ultimate insult to be knocked off and badly injured by someone driving a moped or smart car.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Motor pacing?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bob b

Kav0777 wrote: »
    Motor pacing?

One of the funniest experiences I've had in Dublin has been with one of these. The teenage-ish rider pulled up next to me at some lights, turned round and for no reason started swearing at me. The lights changed and he gunned the engine...the lights were at the top of a hill so I was easily able to keep pace with him, which obviously annoyed him. So he's going down this hill with the engine screaming, doing 45/50 kph, with me sat behind him hardly peddling.

The ultimate insult was a group of girls on the side of the road pointing and laughing at him (I presume:)).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thanks, I’ll try that. FWIW, I actually rang Traffic Watch and reported that second close pass. The guards rang me and requested to see the footage. Didn’t expect much would come out of it so wasn’t disappointed! Was told there was nothing they could do (as the minimum passing distance legislation is still not in effect).
    erm, do we not have:
    • Driving without reasonable consideration
    • Careless driving
    • Dangerous driving

erm, do we not have:
    • Driving without reasonable consideration
    • Careless driving
    • Dangerous driving

Very true. But from experience the gardai have little appetite for this kind of scenario. Unless the pass was millimeter close, or an actual hit I just don't see them doing anything. My own experience of trafficwatch and garda response was pretty good, although the garda did tell me he couldn't see a judge convicting for a close pass. My incident was resolved by the garda calling to the house of the close passer and ultimately getting him to come to the station and apologise to me directly...

Now, the apology was sincere, but the scenario was just bizarre. I felt like I was in the principal's office with the school bully.

Now, the apology was sincere, but the scenario was just bizarre. I felt like I was in the principal's office with the school bully.

What?? You had to do it in person? Did you shake hands and then the ref gave him a yellow card?

What?? You had to do it in person? Did you shake hands and then the ref gave him a yellow card?

It was terribly awkward. We did shake hands, but there was no yellow card. Initially the garda thought the video of the pass was outrageous and was asking me whether I'd go to court over it etc. But the next time we spoke on the phone he had calmed his mood. This was the pass btw, excuse the overdubbed music to cover the swearing...

• Advertisement

It was terribly awkward. We did shake hands, but there was no yellow card. Initially the garda thought the video of the pass was outrageous and was asking me whether I'd go to court over it etc. But the next time we spoke on the phone he had calmed his mood. This was the pass btw, excuse the overdubbed music to cover the swearing...

OUTUBE]UE0YZ-y6hKA[/YOUTUBE]

Christ, he nearly took you, himself and a bus out of it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement