Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I know I've seen that on here before and I knew he didn't hit you but I still sat back in my chair almost bracing for the hit when watching the rear view of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Very true. But from experience the gardai have little appetite for this kind of scenario. Unless the pass was millimeter close, or an actual hit I just don't see them doing anything. My own experience of trafficwatch and garda response was pretty good, although the garda did tell me he couldn't see a judge convicting for a close pass. My incident was resolved by the garda calling to the house of the close passer and ultimately getting him to come to the station and apologise to me directly...

Now, the apology was sincere, but the scenario was just bizarre. I felt like I was in the principal's office with the school bully.

If that pass isn't classified as mm close, I wouldn't like to see what is. Shocking shocking driving from a 'professional' driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Cycling on a main road today, just about to pass a junction - truck moving slowly and decided to keep going and come out in front of me onto the main road.
    Luckily I wasn't going too fast but had to stop.

Realised it was a left-hand drive truck and obviously had a fairly big blind spot to his right that I was in - luckily I wasn't a couple of metres up the road or I'd be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It was terribly awkward. We did shake hands, but there was no yellow card. Initially the garda thought the video of the pass was outrageous and was asking me whether I'd go to court over it etc. But the next time we spoke on the phone he had calmed his mood. This was the pass btw, excuse the overdubbed music to cover the swearing...
    Awkward and all as it was, it sounds like a fairly decent idea. Am I right in thinking that it is called 'restitutional justice' or similar? I've heard of it being done before on burglaries, where the perpetrator is brought face to face with the victim, and has to listen to the impact. I wouldn't mind the same opportunity for dodgy drivers - requiring them to actually listen, in an environment where they can't just sulk off or roll up the window when they hear something they don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Headed out on the Sunday spin this morning. Audi blasted through the roundabout at the end of my road, happens all the time so I just kind of expect it now.

Anyway continued out past clonee. There’s road works at brace town - new water main. The road is narrowed with cones near other side for about 300m - 50 kph limit - narrow and not safe to pass a cyclist. So the motorist directly behind me held back - I was going along at 40kph - then overtook me when the road works ended, plenty of room when he eventually overtook me, I gave him a wave and a got a beep back.

All short lived though - dickwad in the second car decided to skim me. Very close. I guess that’s my punishment for daring to “hold him up” at 10kph below the speed limit for 300m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Awkward and all as it was, it sounds like a fairly decent idea. Am I right in thinking that it is called 'restitutional justice' or similar?

You're almost there. It's restorative justice and a very highly thought of procedure. Personally, I'd prefer that to the other party getting a fine, particularly if they're genuinely contrite

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

I posted on Reddit asking for advice on buying a camera, basically asking how to keep the camera permanently attached and secure. Advice welcome:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BikeCammers/comments/9cgdqn/gopro_session_prepurchase_mountscases_antitheft/

I've been considering the GoPro Session but am open to advice on alternatives.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BikeCammers/ is pretty good for those who read this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Seems like it's dark enough in the mornings at 7.45 to start using the front light again, or it may have been my lack of hi-viz...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Had a guy on a bike almost collide with me on Friday. He was cycling the wrong way up Francis St., on his right hand side of the street.
    When I stopped and had a word, he was pretty aggressive and informed me that one way road rules don't apply to bicycles, only cars.
    I guess cycling on the left hand side of the road only applies to cars as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

mdae the 5km journey out to portmarnock beach at the weekend from baldoyle.
    had the kids so not a hope of bringing them on that road so forced to use the car.

at least 3 close passes from my view, by oncoming cars buzzing cyclists.

in expectation of catching up to a cyclist or meeting someone headon i drive around 45kmh, rather than the 60kmh limit, but well below the more common 80kmh on the road and dont overtake on blind bends so i have cars hanging off my bumper the whole way to encourage me to go faster.

as comon enough, we catch up to a cyclist (lone, ~15-20kmh) so will pass when ready (i generally dont pass groups, or cyclists going 30+) there are only about 3 or 4 spots on that road that i consider safe to pass so i'll hang back until then and if i miss it due to oncoming cyclists or cars i'll just wait it out.

anyway, overtake this guy after maybe 20 seconds of holding off, of course 2 or 3 cars follow me, long after its safe :(
    and then we get to portmarnock village where we all just sit in mass traffic anyway.

from red arches roundabout to portmarnock roundabout is 2.1km
    thats 6mins at 20kmh vs about 2 mins at 60kmh.
    if i was stuck behing a cyclist from end to end, it wouls cost me 4 effing minutes. am i such a prick that i cant wait 4 mins?

i honestly cannot wait until they build the greenway but i really think they could do something about that stretch. maybe one of them signs they have in europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

buffalo wrote: »
    Seems like it's dark enough in the mornings at 7.45 to start using the front light again, or it may have been my lack of hi-viz...

Stupid driving altogether. I feel bad for the bus drivers who have to deal with that ****e almost every 30 seconds. I've taken to using a front flashing light all year round. It doesn't have to be anything terribly powerful, but I think it helps. As for the reg, I reckon it's a 2008 or 2009 reg, that model car wasn't out on 2003. The original video clip will have better clarity, youtube compresses things.

As for the reg, I reckon it's a 2008 or 2009 reg, that model car wasn't out on 2003. The original video clip will have better clarity, youtube compresses things.

I'll post a screenshot later, but the reg number looked like it was drawn on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I had a near miss this morning, the guy behind me got knocked over and i think the person in front of me got tipped too.

Coming up the hill towards Christ Church where the cycle lane splits, i looked over my shoulder, indicated right to get into the lane for straight ahead and saw a white berlingo type van coming up behind me. He wasn't going at any great speed, but he came up from behind, cut across me and two other cyclists. We were already in the lane to go ahead at this stage.

I think he may have tipped the person in front of me, he definitely hit the guy behind me and knocked him over. It was one of those ones that happened in slow motion. I lashed the side of the van to get him to stop. It was if he didn't see us at all (which is probably the case).

The lad behind me definitely got hit, I'm not sure if he fell over fully, but as i left he was giving him a piece of his mind. I let a few 'fcuks' out of me at him as well, but i was a bit gassed from the hill. :D:D

Fcuking left me a bit rattled.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I had a near miss this morning, the guy behind me got knocked over and i think the person in front of me got tipped too.

Coming up the hill towards Christ Church where the cycle lane splits, i looked over my shoulder, indicated right to get into the lane for straight ahead and saw a white berlingo type van coming up behind me. He wasn't going at any great speed, but he came up from behind, cut across me and two other cyclists. We were already in the lane to go ahead at this stage.

I think he may have tipped the person in front of me, he definitely hit the guy behind me and knocked him over. It was one of those ones that happened in slow motion. I lashed the side of the van to get him to stop. It was if he didn't see us at all (which is probably the case).

The lad behind me definitely got hit, I'm not sure if he fell over fully, but as i left he was giving him a piece of his mind. I let a few 'fcuks' out of me at him as well, but i was a bit gassed from the hill. :D:D

Fcuking left me a bit rattled.

Hate that junction, it’s on my route as well. It’s awful from Kevin street onwards as you’ve got two lanes merging to one because of the bus lane, then one lane suddenly becoming three lanes after the traffic lights and the left lane catering for both straight on & left turning traffic. The cycle lane layout is poor there too. All that aside if someone’s just not paying attention the road layout doesn’t matter much.

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Hate that junction, it’s on my route as well. It’s awful from Kevin street onwards as you’ve got two lanes merging to one because of the bus lane, then one lane suddenly becoming three lanes after the traffic lights and the left lane catering for both straight on & left turning traffic. The cycle lane layout is poor there too. All that aside if someone’s just not paying attention the road layout doesn’t matter much.

Yeah, i really hate it too. It just seems like a bit of a free for all coming up that hill. Drivers are always really aggressive when they are trying to get into that left lane.

I think that's a junction that'd really benefit from an advance green for cyclists. Give everyone a chance to get into the correct lane and then up the hill. It's a pain if you're trying to turn right onto Dame St unless you get lucky with the light sequence.

one of my pannier clips broke this morning and my bag got sucked into the rear wheel. brought me to a pretty abrupt stop.
    luckily there was no one behind me and it was a wider section of road so the cars could ignore/laugh at me me in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I posted on Reddit asking for advice on buying a camera, basically asking how to keep the camera permanently attached and secure. Advice welcome:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BikeCammers/comments/9cgdqn/gopro_session_prepurchase_mountscases_antitheft/

https://www.reddit.com/r/BikeCammers/ is pretty good for those who read this thread!

There's no way you're going to be able to leave the camera(s) on the bike. Just as you would with a garmin/light, you'll have to take them off when going into the shops. The under-saddle screw-on mount will allow you to remove the camera with a thumb screw, and the session is tiny.

I do think the Session is a good camera, with plenty of mounts/larger battery options. Just so long as the price is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm with Al here - this is a non runner. Even if you can secure the camera its presence will attract attention. Scrotes love to kick wheels in to return for bikes later when the owner can't ride home etc. Not fun.

Use a Session myself. The cage mount is about 10x faster than a full size waterproof clamper on regular GoPros. Takes about 1.5s to pull and pocket the GoPro. Yes it'd be nice to not have to but its really not an issue.

Innnnn any case - you can't dump GoPro over USB or the dates get messed up on your files. Gotta use a card reader to get it right. That means pulling the camera at home.

heading down Haddington road last night I got left hooked for the 2nd time in about 2 weeks at the same spot. just after the lights at Baggot st bridge a car overtook me then cut left straight away to turn into Percy place. once again no acknowledgement or seeming interest when I shouted after him.

it was getting dark and I was running 2 bright lights on the back, maybe he had his hi-hiz filter on and would only have seen me if I was wearing that? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Saw a fella in front of me nearly get wiped out on Cypress Grove Road inbound this monring, the road was gridlocked so both he & I were using the cycle lane, one which I would normally avoid. As he approached a junction he nearly got creamed as he proceeded through the crossing as a car turned left at the same time. He should have yielded and got off lucky, but that's one of the main reasons I try not to use that cycle lane, you lose priority at every junction. I'd say he'd have been neither the first nor the last to get hit in that manner along that stretch.

tedpan wrote: »
    Close one for the cyclist..

Stolen from the car forum dashcam thread.
    I'm sure they'll dissect the cyclists lack of flashing headgear and foghorn in due course

site_owner wrote: »
    Stolen from the car forum dashcam thread.
    I'm sure they'll dissect the cyclists lack of flashing headgear and foghorn in due course

Not sure it comes across in the video but it's a slight down hill there so can do a decent clip along there. Guy might have been lucky he wasn't going faster.

Saw a fella in front of me nearly get wiped out on Cypress Grove Road inbound this monring, the road was gridlocked so both he & I were using the cycle lane, one which I would normally avoid. As he approached a junction he nearly got creamed as he proceeded through the crossing as a car turned left at the same time. He should have yielded and got off lucky, but that's one of the main reasons I try not to use that cycle lane, you lose priority at every junction. I'd say he'd have been neither the first nor the last to get hit in that manner along that stretch.

That's a dodgy spot there. The cycle lane lends itself to people zipping onto the roundabout. Anyone turning left isn't checking for cyclists either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nearly seen an e-bike getting taken out of it yesterday evening in Bray. I was about 10m back and I seen the car indicating for awhile. It was close to the turn but it really wasn't clear if he was letting people past or just not clear to go yet. I slowed down anyway, you never know and as I pulled out right to go round the car, it turned in on the e bike that didn't take the more cautious line. He let a roar, and to be fair to the biker, he acknowledged he should have not gone with the indicator on but it really was a hard call from where I was. Glad I chose the more cautious route.

At the next lights, I heard him and the other e bike talking about how much their bikes cost, jaysus.

i should have just kept the lane, i didnt expect the car hanging out in the cycle lane or the mondeo to be inches off my wheel. got a proper fright.

passed the mondeo 40m ahead (along with plenty of other cars) and didnt see it again until the hill, when i lost some steam

that rear view is hard to watch tbh.

Quality wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Quality wise?
    Pucker-factor wise.

• Advertisement

Quality wise?

sorry no, not that at all.
    I have the same trailer for my 2 1/2 year old and am watching that almost as if it was my own. I always think of the trailer as safer for a multitude of reasons, primarily the extra space that cars tend to give us when we're using the trailer. the mondeo pretty much shaves the wheel in that clip.

it shows as well though the dangers of people causally occupying cycle lanes - the car parked in the lane forces you out into traffic where the mondeo driver then drives way too close to you than any reasonable person would consider to be safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement