Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

However, you have to realise that your road positioning can invite people to pass. I would say you were far too close to the kerb and should have been out more. Once you realise that most motorists don't give cyclists a single thought, and consider any pass without touching a successful one, you realise that you have to take whatever measures you can to make yourself stand out.
    You konw I only just realised this from this thread, and put it into practice myself this mornig with great success.

I commute from Portmarnock, and the stretch between Portm. and Baldoyle was, on a daily basis, giving me at least one scare. I used to cycle where a 3rd yellow line would be (if you know what I mean), but this morning, following someones post earlier I cycled where the left wheel of a car would usually be. No scary squeeze-past maneuvers today (although I was bricking it, assuming the worst, when I saw on coming traffic).

All cars needed to properly overtake me.

It'll take some getting used to, as I still feel like I'm being a bit of a dick. But by god it was lovely not to have a close pass at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Zulu wrote: »
    You konw I only just realised this from this thread, and put it into practice myself this mornig with great success.

I commute from Portmarnock, and the stretch between Portm. and Baldoyle was, on a daily basis, giving me at least one scare. I used to cycle where a 3rd yellow line would be (if you know what I mean), but this morning, following someones post earlier I cycled where the left wheel of a car would usually be. No scary squeeze-past maneuvers today (although I was bricking it, assuming the worst, when I saw on coming traffic).

All cars needed to properly overtake me.

It'll take some getting used to, as I still feel like I'm being a bit of a dick. But by god it was lovely not to have a close pass at speed.

Yeah that's my route daily! And it there's a learning curve to it! The feeling of being a dick goes pretty quickly, as really you're not. You are just taking a safe position on the road. It's only a 2km stretch, and there are points where people can overtake, so just keep you position and pedal on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I think when you cycle like this most motorists are quite happy to have the decision (of whether to pass or not) taken for them and will wait patiently behind.

Those that aren't, are the ones who'd probably dangerously pass you anyway, so better they wait behind and be annoyed that pass dangerously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

amcalester wrote: »
    I think when you cycle like this most motorists are quite happy to have the decision (of whether to pass or not) taken for them and will wait patiently behind.

Those that aren't, are the ones who'd probably dangerously pass you anyway, so better they wait behind and be annoyed that pass dangerously.

I find the same applies if you take a strong line when over taking a car that is parked in a cycle lane. I always take a strong line out in the middle of the road, a good distance before i've even overtaken the parked car. Obviously after having indicated and checked to make sure there's nothing coming up behind me.

Getting caught in two minds or being ginger about overtaking an obstacle like this has nearly caught me out before. The more confident the line, the safer it is (IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It helps if you give a wave of thanks when you're able to let them pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I find the same applies if you take a strong line when over taking a car that is parked in a cycle lane. I always take a strong line out in the middle of the road, a good distance before i've even overtaken the parked car. Obviously after having indicated and checked to make sure there's nothing coming up behind me.

Getting caught in two minds or being ginger about overtaking an obstacle like this has nearly caught me out before. The more confident the line, the safer it is (IMO).

If a car is illegally parked in my bus/cycle lane I take an almost theatrical amount of the road to pass it - right out to the middle line if needs be. Every time the cars behind get the implication and I get a huge amount of room and never get a close pass or impatient tailgating. Everyone immediately sees what the problem is when I make it stupidly obvious. As you say if you show hesitation or try to skim by, people will chance their arm. The exception is an odd taxi but that's par for the course with those lads - chances are it's a taxi causing the issue to begin with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

As for the pass. Ridiculous. Pure madness passing there. However, you have to realise that your road positioning can invite people to pass. I would say you were far too close to the kerb and should have been out more. Once you realise that most motorists don't give cyclists a single thought, and consider any pass without touching a successful one, you realise that you have to take whatever measures you can to make yourself stand out.

First thing I thought to myself too..watching it I'd said to myself op was cycling way too close to inside and actually "inviting" the pass...

Often see the phrase "take the road" but more relevant is "take or utilise your lane where and when necessary"
    It's as much yours to use as theirs...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

this morning, sitting in an advanced stop box waiting for the lights, a guy in a car squeezed up alongside me and past me. which was a dick move, but what i found more interesting was that the entire left hand side of his windscreen was smashed. looked like something about the size of - or bigger - than a basketball had smashed into it.
    regardless of the cracking that had to have spread across to the driver's side (i didn't really see from the angle i had how bad it was), there's no way the left side of the windscreen could have been seen through.

Ace-Ventura-5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

benjamin d wrote: »
    If a car is illegally parked in my bus/cycle lane I take an almost theatrical amount of the road to pass it - right out to the middle line if needs be. Every time the cars behind get the implication and I get a huge amount of room and never get a close pass or impatient tailgating. Everyone immediately sees what the problem is when I make it stupidly obvious. As you say if you show hesitation or try to skim by, people will chance their arm. The exception is an odd taxi but that's par for the course with those lads - chances are it's a taxi causing the issue to begin with!

That's my default behaviour also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

I don't cycle so I don't really know why im here but from reading some of the comments it sounds like a nightmare . Both in cities and on rural roads.

What are the couple of main sticking points that cyclists would like to see that would make things safer for you on your commute or as part of your hobby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Autochange wrote: »
    I don't cycle so I don't really know why im here but from reading some of the comments it sounds like a nightmare . Both in cities and on rural roads.

What are the couple of main sticking points that cyclists would like to see that would make things safer for you on your commute or as part of your hobby?

No taxis in bus lanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

De Bhál wrote: »
    No taxis in bus lanes

Start small, no private vehicles in bus lanes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Enforcement of existing road traffic laws would be a quick win.

De Bhál wrote: »
    No taxis in bus lanes

to be honest i always thought taxis should be allowed in bus lanes. It clears congestion on the road for other drivers.

Obviously its not a good thing for cyclists though.

Unfortunately i dont think wholesale enforcement is possible. Gardai cant be everywhere etc.
    They are not capable either but that is a different story.
    Anyway stay safe im out before it all inevitably goes wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah here - ask a question and then decide you're not going to hang around for the answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

If we're talking pure wishes - I wish motorists would realise how little time is saved by doing one of dangerous dick overtakes I experience at least once every single journey.

On a related note, I also wish they would realise the futility and the irony of :
    1) Losing the head because of finding themselves behind a cyclist
    2) Overtaking that cyclist in a reckless fashion
    and then
    3) Have a "discussion" with that cyclist about his/her positioning on the road, and having plenty of time to have that discussion while sitting at a red light 50 yards up from where they did 1) and 2).

In short, people raising up their own blood pressure and others unnecessarily, and making the roads an unpleasant and hostile place when they don't need to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

This. Absolutely. Should be a given really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Autochange wrote:
    Unfortunately i dont think wholesale enforcement is possible. Gardai cant be everywhere etc.
    They don't have to be. Anpr cameras for tax/ insurance/ nct/ licences drivers. Far more cameras for speeding, including average speed. Cameras for bus lanes, cycle lanes, red light jumping, yellow boxes etc.

Accept and act on dashcam and bike cam footage.

We're so backward, that the use of technology isn't even on the agenda for police force, government or our supposed road safety authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You should contact Mannix Flynn, he was ranting about the danger caused by seagulls a few weeks ago.

He's not too fond of cyclists either so it'd be interesting to hear his thoughts on these wantonly diving seagulls.

It is possible that Mannix would spontaneously combust trying to work out who to blame or who to hate the most. So definitely don't send it to him.

Motorists opening up their small minds and realising that it is in THEIR best interest to encourage cycling and cyclists as much as possible, to reduce the size of THEIR traffic jam.

• Advertisement

Well thats possibly the most random thing I've seen round here.

EDIT: Awwww mods deleted it now I look silly :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well thats possibly the most random thing I've seen round here.

EDIT: Awwww mods deleted it now I look silly :o

They were posting all over the place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

+1 a simple win win situation. For those that can be automated via red light and average speed cameras, do it now. Maybe look into a Garda Traffic only corps. As in not falling into general Garda training, they would be almost like traffic wardens. No power other than to record and issue fines. Pay etc. would be equivalent to the decrease in knowledge, and work related risks.
    Close to wholesale enforcement is very close to possible in the modern world, not 100% but not as far off it as you might think.

As for cycling being a nightmare, it is really not, your just more aware (in my opinion) of the danger. The near misses I see between cars every day, I wonder why anyone would drive in or near a city centre like Dublin. This said, if my mind took the very real dangers to my life seriously every day, I simply would not leave the house.

The knock on effect of ANPR camera's, some other automation, a Garda Traffic only corps and some civilian staff looking after the issuing of anpr fines etc is that it should then free up Gardaí to do some of the other policing that is badly required.

It's not just about improving road safety, their is a wider benefit to be gained if the whole picture was looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

to be honest i always thought taxis should be allowed in bus lanes. It clears congestion on the road for other drivers.

taxis do nothing to reduce congestion - half the time it's just the driver in the car so they're literally transporting no-one; even if they have one passenger they're no better than a single-occupant private car.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Just had a near miss an hour ago - have footage on the gopro, reg plates easily seen etc. If I send this to the Gardai, would they do anything about it or no point in doing so whatsoever?

og2k7 wrote: »
    Just had a near miss an hour ago - have footage on the gopro, reg plates easily seen etc. If I send this to the Gardai, would they do anything about it or no point in doing so whatsoever?

Ring TrafficWatch, tell them you have footage if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

og2k7 wrote: »

Report it, worst case scenario is you are exactly where you are now. Best case, someone talks to the driver and scares them into improving their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It is possible that Mannix would spontaneously combust trying to work out who to blame or who to hate the most. So definitely don't send it to him.

Motorists opening up their small minds and realising that it is in THEIR best interest to encourage cycling and cyclists as much as possible, to reduce the size of THEIR traffic jam.

So narrow minded. There is more to the problem that just motorists, its all road users that are the problem and all road users need to open their small minds to encourage cycling, because the behavior on the road by all is gone beyond stupidity now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

That's not how enforcement works. You can't have a garda in every house in case someone breaks in either. Enforcement works if a decent proportion of criminals are busted for a particular crime, and people hear about it.

This is why bicycle theft is a recurrent problem: police - and not just in Ireland - rarely bother enforcing the law, and almost never prosecute people for receiving stolen goods, if those goods are bicycles.

There's also a need for technology to be developed and used. If insurance companies offered a much cheaper rate for people who linked their phone to their handbrake so it would switch off when you're in the car and the handbrake not engaged, this would effectively stop one crime. (Of course there would be people gaming the system by having a second phone, but a few well-publicised fraud convictions for doing so would stop this.) When a cheap electronic tracker is finally invented that's small enough to hide in a bicycle and track it, bicycle theft will disappear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement