Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It really does take a nose dive i regards driver behaviour once the schools and colleges start back, it is just insane out there.

Favourite bit this morning was getting buzzed by a taxi, presumably for being in the bus lane. I was in the bus lane because two broken down buses thought, instead of just blocking the bus lane, we will mount the cycle path and block it and the bus lane. I do despair, no buses or taxis can get past them without moving into regular traffic, so they just block the bike lane for no real reason. I swear some people are mentally detached from their surroundings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

CramCycle wrote: »
    It really does take a nose dive i regards driver behaviour once the schools and colleges start back, it is just insane out there.

Favourite bit this morning was getting buzzed by a taxi, presumably for being in the bus lane. I was in the bus lane because two broken down buses thought, instead of just blocking the bus lane, we will mount the cycle path and block it and the bus lane. I do despair, no buses or taxis can get past them without moving into regular traffic, so they just block the bike lane for no real reason. I swear some people are mentally detached from their surroundings.

Yeah, i'm seriously considering not cycling anymore in Dublin. It just seems too unsafe. I don't think it matters how careful you are, it's going to happen where some gobsh1te isn't paying attention or just doesn't care and will end up giving me a bad tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

https://twitter.com/coconutlulz/status/1041788421252022272

This guy simply needs to have his license taken off him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

CramCycle wrote: »
    Overtook by a guy moving across to a filter lane, tipped my front wheel as he pulled across mid overtake. Lucky to stay upright. I let a roar but he ignored me. I got the plate but no camera today. I really wanted to take my lock and throw it like a tomahawk at his car but took the better path and just went on to do the school run.

Had a similar thought yesterday evening as a dimwit pulled out in front of me from Rugged Lane into standstill traffic on Porterstown Road. She saw me coming with the strong front light but still decided to pull out, let a roar at her and had to jam on swerve in behind her but really wish I had a paintball cartridge to fire at her side window

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

This guy simple needs to have his license taken off him

Definitely straight to the guards with that one.

It's ridiculous that we have come to a point where people going about their own business on 2 wheels are subjected to abuse like this from aggressive monkeys that somehow have learnt basic car controls and managed to secure a licence.

In an ideal world, this monkey gets slapped down, taken off the road permanently, and this serves as an example to other monkeys that might be tempted to act out with the same misbehaviour.

Unfortunately in the current culture cyclist abuse seems to have become socially acceptable, and so large ignored by the state,these idiots have been emboldened to act out their thuggish instincts with impunity.

• Advertisement

I hope that got reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Big time. That's off the scale tbh. Don't just inform the Gardai, there's also the taxi regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

He gave a version of the old classic 'I know where you live.'

Nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

He gave a version of the old classic 'I know where you live.'

Nice.
    he also said 'you're a ****ing dead man' at about 2:17.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I hope that got reported.

Looking at replies in tweets, it will be reported. Interesting one to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

rushfan wrote: »
    Big time. That's off the scale tbh. Don't just inform the Gardai, there's also the taxi regulator.
    If you weren't a paying customer in the taxi then the taxi regulator don't want to know IME. Worth an email anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The taxi regulator will do nothing. They will direct you to the gardai, which is correct really.

I don't know if I could keep my cool if someone pulled that on me, that's beyond ridiculous.

I had a much less interesting close pass today, by a neighbour, she lives a bit up the road in my estate. She was waiting to pull out of her drive when I passed, it's a narrow housing estate, lots of parked cars left and right so I'm in the middle of the lane. Next I hear her close behind me, and she pushes passed. I sound my horn before she manoeuvres and she sounds hers. I'd say she was millimetres from hitting me and the parked car to her right. And I caught up with her then at the T junction about 15 seconds later. Dumb bint.

The taxi regulator will do nothing. They will direct you to the gardai, which is correct really.

From my occasional interactions with the regulator through work I would definitely say they'd be interested. I'd certainly be informing them anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Looking at replies in tweets, it will be reported. Interesting one to follow.
    but he seemed to palm it off to someone else to do it - how seriously will traffic watch take it if someone reported something they saw on a video online?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Traffic watch is very easy to use. I reported a car driving dangerously recently. Turned out it wasn't taxed or insured. I don't know if they prosecuted the driver, but they told me the car is off the road, which seems to be the case, as he used to drive into the same park as me. Anyway, that taxi above needs to be reported by the person who took the video. No point in complaining about behavior like that if they aren't willing to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

From my occasional interactions with the regulator through work I would definitely say they'd be interested. I'd certainly be informing them anyway.

If you report the sort of behaviour in the video they'll tell you to take it to the Gardaí, they're not interested.

buffalo wrote:
    If you report the sort of behaviour in the video they'll tell you to take it to the Gardaí, they're not interested.

Ok, we'll agree to disagree so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

he also said 'you're a ****ing dead man' at about 2:17.

Don't know how the cyclists on here are able to take such crap off drivers.
    <snip>
    Can't believe more cyclist don't back each other up, I'd be in there like a flash if I seen it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

italodisco wrote: »
    Don't know how the cyclists on here are able to take such crap off drivers.
    <snip>
    Can't believe more cyclist don't back each other up, I'd be in there like a flash if I seen it happen

While it pains me to say it - you're right. When someone cuts you off like that and then gets out of the car throwing shapes, you are in a fight or flight situation whether you want to admit it or not. That's a direct threat. If you hadn't the camera on I wonder if it would have been a different result.

This guy simply needs to have his license taken off him

Jesus Christ. What a moron. I haven't seen shapes like that in a while - both physical and verbal (I'll find out who you are!!!!!). He must have a really ****ty outlook on the world with that behaviour. I hope you pursue this to the bitter end.

• Advertisement

steamsey wrote: »
    While it pains me to say it - you're right. When someone cuts you off like that and then gets out of the car throwing shapes, you are in a fight or flight situation whether you want to admit it or not. That's a direct threat. If you hadn't the camera on I wonder what if it would have been a different result.

I'm not a believer in violence in general but in situations like that I am, <snip>

I'm sorry for coming across aggressive but I'm sick to death of hard men in cars mouthing off.

Funny thing is when I dismount the bike and square up to them 99% back off straight away.

Cyclists need to back each other up. No need to even say a word but at least pull over and observe if you see such incidents occurring. Youd be surprised how much of a difference it makes, idiots like that taxi driver though, pray to God I meet him and he does that to me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Dublin north quays this morning. Taxi man was't just going to accept me indicating and moving in front of him to get to the left side of the road where the bike lane is - it was previously blocked by buses. He just kept nudging ahead despite me indicating. All in a 24/7 shared bike / bus lane at the Millennium Bridge. He managed to make contact with my bike from behind at low speed. Going to bring the footage to Pearse Street Gardai - I'm just across the way from them.

I'm not a believer in violence in general
    mod note - guys - please leave the threats of violence out of it. any further comments supporting violence will be deleted.

suggesting cyclists engage with physical violence as a reaction to verbal abuse is a very stupid thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Ok, we'll agree to disagree so.

I've tried it on a few occasions. If you've got a contact in the office, I'll pull out my backdated report list and you can send it on, maybe get a few struck off? :D

mod note - guys - please leave the threats of violence out of it. any further comments supporting violence will be deleted.

suggesting cyclists engage with physical violence as a reaction to verbal abuse is a very stupid thing.

Fully agree when it's just verbal abuse without a physical threat. Getting into a physical altercation based on someone mouthing off is silly.

However - when someone cuts you off to stop you, gets out of the car, throws shapes and approaches you (right up to your person) in an aggressive way, then you are in a potentially dangerous situation and people should recognise this for what it is.

There are 3 options - a) stand there and do nothing b) fight or c) peg it. I won't go with a) when this happens to me again. Last time I did, I got a punch before the coward jumped in his car and sped off. I'd give anything to go back to that moment and go with one of the other options.

steamsey wrote: »
    Fully agree when it's just verbal abuse without a physical threat. Getting into a physical altercation based on someone mouthing off is silly.

However - when someone cuts you off to stop you, gets out of the car, throws shapes and approaches you (right up to your person) in an aggressive way, then you are in a potentially dangerous situation and people should recognise this for what it is.

There are 3 options - a) stand there and do nothing b) fight or c) peg it. I won't go with a) when this happens to me again. Last time I did, I got a punch before the coward jumped in his car and sped off. I'd give anything to go back to that moment and go with one of the other options.

Unfortunately the mod would prefer option A so be very careful what you post.....

Annnnnnnd I'm banned in 3, 2, 1......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Unfortunately the mod would prefer option A so be very careful what you post.....

Annnnnnnd I'm banned in 3, 2, 1......

MOD VOICE: The other mod did not say it, just no advocating violence. Most people would quite sensibly go with option C. Lets leave the discussion there or continue via PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

but he seemed to palm it off to someone else to do it - how seriously will traffic watch take it if someone reported something they saw on a video online?

Did you miss the bit where he said he'd had no joy from 2 previous reports to the Gardaí? He then said he would report it.

Did you miss the bit where he said he'd had no joy from 2 previous reports to the Gardaí? He then said he would report it.
    yes, i did miss that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Hopefully 3rd time lucky! That colourful individual doesn't deserve to be a "professional" driver.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement