Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Totally agree.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Looking at replies in tweets, it will be reported. Interesting one to follow.

There's a Garda station about 500 metres from where it happened, I'd have been straight in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Weepsie wrote: »
    There's a Garda station about 500 metres from where it happened, I'd have been straight in there.

And I'd have made bloody sure he saw me going in too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Did you miss the bit where he said he'd had no joy from 2 previous reports to the Gardaí? He then said he would report it.

I suppose if a vehicle gets a string of reports, something happens, well I hope so.

And from reading this thread, camera for the bike might be a wise thing, even just to improve my roadcraft, but also to hopefully note vehicles whose drivers just don't want to be courteous and reasonable.

Also I cannot help noticing that the more threatening the driver, the more doughy and out of condition he is once out of his metal box. Yet in the box he or she is a threat. Thankfully the lunatic driver is rare, the careless one (Facetiming while driving say) is prevalent, and can be as dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Such a pain in the a$$ reporting though. Following my incident yesterday, I Went to Pearse Street garda station twice and queued up. Also on hold to Traffic Watch for well over half and hour, rang them twice. I;m making a report of reporting my mate from yesterday though - he deliberately bumped me with his taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Also I cannot help noticing that the more threatening the driver, the more doughy and out of condition he is once out of his metal box. Yet in the box he or she is a threat. Thankfully the lunatic driver is rare, the careless one (Facetiming while driving say) is prevalent, and can be as dangerous.

Back in the late 1980s or early 1990s I read about an early social use of biofeedback in one of the eastern European cities - can't remember which or what country. They gave biofeedback watches to taxi drivers and taught them to use them, so they could learn to put their brains into alpha waves - what's called mindfulness nowadays, I think - when confronted with stressful situations.

As far as I remember, heart attacks dropped dramatically among taxi drivers, and blood pressure results improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Such a pain in the a$$ reporting though. Following my incident yesterday, I Went to Pearse Street garda station twice and queued up. Also on hold to Traffic Watch for well over half and hour, rang them twice. I;m making a report of reporting my mate from yesterday though - he deliberately bumped me with his taxi.

Who needs enemies wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Back in the late 1980s or early 1990s I read about an early social use of biofeedback in one of the eastern European cities - can't remember which or what country. They gave biofeedback watches to taxi drivers and taught them to use them, so they could learn to put their brains into alpha waves - what's called mindfulness nowadays, I think - when confronted with stressful situations.

As far as I remember, heart attacks dropped dramatically among taxi drivers, and blood pressure results improved.

The next time a taxi driver buzzes me i'll kindly ask him to live in the now and practice some mindfulness. :D:D:D:D

Who needs enemies wha?

Could have got a nice Mercedes star as a souvenir as well. Maybe next time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Was hit by a car at the Artane Roundabout on cycle home from work this evening. Came off the bike, in a bit of shock. Had a flashing cat-eye front light and hi vis jacket on. Driver admitted complete fault. Called the Gardai down and reported the incident. No injuries to report and not sure if there's much damage to the bike but as I told the driver and Garda I just want the whole thing on record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Was hit by a car at the Artane Roundabout on cycle home from work this evening. Came off the bike, in a bit of shock. Had a flashing cat-eye front light and hi vis jacket on. Driver admitted complete fault. Called the Gardai down and reported the incident. No injuries to report and not sure if there's much damage to the bike but as I told the driver and Garda I just want the whole thing on record.

Make sure there's no damage to your bike, and if there is, ensure that you're compensated.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Hope your ok. Check your bike thoroughly and don't be surprised if your a bit sore tomorrow.

Had a close one myself on malahide road opposite maypark around 5.15. A white bmw in the bus lane leaves a gap of approx 6 inches as he speeds past. Closest I've had in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Saw this one, early morning, words exchanged, yet another Taxi driver, they really are lethal and to be avoided as much as possible:

RrFOJrOYDnU

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Saw this one, early morning, words exchanged, yet another Taxi driver, they really are lethal and to be avoided as much as possible:

Fixed. Just put the bit at the end in the youtube tags:

RrFOJrOYDnU

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Holy crap that's bad. That's beyond a hit and run, it's assault. And then all the rest added on top. He should lose his license over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The next time a taxi driver buzzes me i'll kindly ask him to live in the now and practice some mindfulness. :D:D:D:D
    Taxi drivers are really bigging up their fine upstanding reputation this week:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....attempted murder.

That creature should never be allowed on the roads of Ireland if pulling stuff like that.

Such moves could cause life changing injuries or death in an unskilled or novice cyclist.

This is how it should be judged.

How was he to know how long you were cycling or what stage of life you were at???

Is this even relevant?

Any road user should be prepared to allow for less skilful users on the road.

Not that the cyclist in this case was unskillful, but the taxi driver was being an asshat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That was nasty. if the cyclist passed away it would be murder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

A positive case of Dublin bus actually responding to a request for video:

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cyclist-dublin-bus-video/

That has my blood boiling. 6 o'clock in the f'n morning and he's at that ****. Thats got nothing to do with being a taxi driver and wanting to use the bus lane when it's busy and every thing to do with I'm going to mess with this easy target because of all the ones that got in my way rush hour yesterday. Plus I think the poor lad was actually in the bike lane when he was hit. The sneak in me knowing I had it on camera would have stayed down at that point regardless and wait to be bused to hospital and had him for leaving the scene etc. but with added drama for the Gardai who'd have to respond to the scene.

Throw the book at the dirty cnut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I dont understand how anyone that is driving for a living can do that and expect to get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Taxi drivers are really bigging up their fine upstanding reputation this week:

That's absolutely horrendous. Hope you're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I would have called the Gardan the spot. That's absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pinch flat and the two videos makes three in a week....

ED E wrote: »
    Pinch flat and the two videos makes three in a week....

6 One news tomorrow cyclist collides with taxi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The driver of the taxi was uninjured..

Being honest I’ve had a lot worse with taxis and caught it in video. In the past few weeks, the following have happened to me. All on the shared bus / bike lanes on the north and south quays in Dublin:

1. undertaking me on the south quays, well in excess of the 30 kph limit

2. Tailgating me, laying in the horn for 300 meters plus.

3. Overtaking me on my the right, skimming by, even when there’s space to over take in the other lane.

4.barging to the top of the lights, pulling along side me and straddling their cars across the advance bike box

There’s definitely a mantra there among a sizable minority if taxi drivers against cyclists. Some absolute scumbags in taxis out there. That guy in the video above the worst I’ve seen in a while, but nothing shocks me with them anymore.

But as pointed about above, I’m making a point of principle in reporting the toe rag that bumped me deliberately on Monday. Tried traffic watch already, but they can’t take a report as there was physical contact. They’re telling me straight away there’s an offence committed. If Matey from Monday gets a €80 fine and 3 penalty points I’m a happy camper. But definitely following it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Being honest I’ve had a lot worse with taxis and caught it in video. In the past few weeks, the following have happened to me. All on the shared bus / bike lanes on the nieth and south quays in Dublin:

1. undertaking me on the south quays, well in excess of the 30 kph limit

2. Tailgating me, laying in the horn for 300 meters plus.

3. Overtaking me on my he right, skimming by, even when there’s space to over take in the other lane.

4.barfing to the top of the lights, pulling along side me and straddling their cars across the advance bike box

There’s definitely a mantra there among a sizable minority if taxi drivers against cyclists. Some absolute scumbags in taxis out there. That guy in the video above the worst I’ve seen in a while, but nothing shocks me with them anymore.

But as pointed about above, I’m making a point of principle in reporting the toe tag that bumped me deliberately on Monday. Tried traffic watch already, but they can’t take a report as there was physical contact. They’re telling me straight away there’s an offence committed. If Matey from Monday gets a €80 fine and 3 penalty points I’m a happy camper. But definitely following it through.

There's definitely a shared consensus among many taxi drivers to bully cyclists even when it's completely unnecessary and out of their way to do so. The behaviours are too similar for them to not be discussed and almost planned amongst them at the rank. Taxi driver behaviour in Dublin is appalling in general and I'm actually reluctant to get in one even when I need to as I feel like I'm condoning it in some way by using their services. They're accommodated far too much in Dublin and the new bus connects together with the college green pedestrianisation plans are an opportunity to stamp out some of their outrageous carry on IMO.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But as pointed about above, I’m making a point of principle in reporting the toe tag that bumped me deliberately on Monday. Tried traffic watch already, but they can’t take a report as there was physical contact. They’re telling me straight away there’s an offence committed. If Matey from Monday gets a €80 fine and 3 penalty points I’m a happy camper. But definitely following it through.
    It was a deliberate and intentional hit and run. Report the bastárd before he is successful in killing someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

rushfan wrote: »
    That's absolutely horrendous. Hope you're ok.

Not my video - just thought it was worth sharing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement