Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Not my video - just thought it was worth sharing

It was absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    But as pointed about above, I’m making a point of principle in reporting the toe tag that bumped me deliberately on Monday. Tried traffic watch already, but they can’t take a report as there was physical contact. They’re telling me straight away there’s an offence committed. If Matey from Monday gets a €80 fine and 3 penalty points I’m a happy camper. But definitely following it through.

Surprised with Traffic Watch not taking a report, I rang them a few months back when I witnessed a driver hit a cyclist (below post) and they'd no issue taking my report. I never heard anything since about it however despite reporting the same driver a number of weeks later for a separate and unrelated incident. In 20 years of cycling in Dublin that's the only times I've reported a driver so fairly serious incidents and thus not enamoured with the effectiveness of Traffic Watch for such incidents.
    Witnessed a close pass/clip this morning shortly after exiting the Phoenix Park. Just after the Infirmary Road junction a white Hyundai bull dozed through dangerously close to the cyclist 50m in front. So close in fact he hit him with his wing mirror which folded inwards, cyclist did well to stay upright. Driver continued on up the keys and only had a partial reg so thought I'd get the rest if caught in traffic. Sure enough he was a few hundred meters further up trying to turn right over the first bridge. I stopped on the left to note the reg and driver left the filter lane to transverse two lanes of traffic to have a go at me. Aggressive driver with no remorse and traffic was light so early in the morning so no need for such dangerous driving.

Incident reported now anyway whatever may come of it.

Surprised with Traffic Watch not taking a report, I rang them a few months back when I witnessed a driver hit a cyclist (below post) and they'd no issue taking my report. I never heard anything since about it however despite reporting the same driver a number of weeks later for a separate and unrelated incident. In 20 years of cycling in Dublin that's the only times I've reported a driver so fairly serious incidents and thus not enamoured with the effectiveness of Traffic Watch for such incidents.

The Gardai use Hyundai cars now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Shocking driving, criminal in fact.

Having said that the cyclist should have manoeuvred better

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

The Gardai use Hyundai cars now?

for at least 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Henryhill2 wrote: »

Is that you Dermot?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

FO

He could have swerved to save himself

Could’ve driven, would’ve been grand then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There it is. Good old victim blaming. Watch it again, the taxi swerves in suddenly and quickly, there was no chance to stop and little chance to swerve. It's easy to sit here and say "oh you could have just swerved", but in reality your reaction times are different. You might need a second to realise what's happening and another to action it, but by then it was all over and the cyclist was on the deck.

• Advertisement

rain seems to be bringing out the absolute worst in everyone. i've seen some **** this week. mainly cars pulling across me or flying past me at way above the speed limits. more red light jumpers. cars driving up inside of other cars, mounting kerbs to squeeze past. just mad stuff altogether.

this one last night nearly knocked me off. around 9.40pm (clocks are out of sync) dark, slippy, pissing rain.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To where? The cyclist was moving in traffic and had right of way until the taxi swung into him.

Cyclist seemed to hold his line when the car moved in

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Jesus that's a shocking video - blood is boiling. Very glad that the cyclist had a camera and I hope this is pursued aggressively.

As a cyclist I've shut my mouth in the past year. I have taken a lot of the stress out of cycling by accepting the bad driving and bad attitudes of drivers and I don't get worked up about it anymore. I try my best not to take it personally although there is very little more personal than someone putting your safety and life at risk. This has worked in so far as I haven't had a serious encounter with a driver since I shut up. I used to roar - I was pretty vocal. It's hard to do but it seems to be working. I just don't react - I'm not a Garda and it's not my job to police other road users - that's my view these days.

Also - GET A CAMERA. Very few cyclists have one on my route in and out of town every day. We need a critical mass of both cyclists and further, cyclists with cameras. The expectation from drivers should be that every cyclist will be recording so they had better behave. Won't work on everyone - this taxi driver toe rag clearly didn't care but at least with that footage, the courts and the taxi regulator will have something tangible to chew on. Cameras work best on the person - helmet or bag strap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    But as pointed about above, I’m making a point of principle in reporting the toe tag that bumped me deliberately on Monday. Tried traffic watch already, but they can’t take a report as there was physical contact. They’re telling me straight away there’s an offence committed. If Matey from Monday gets a €80 fine and 3 penalty points I’m a happy camper. But definitely following it through.
    i assume that means it's no longer a traffic offence punishable by an FPN, but attempted assault or some such charge?

Motorist pulls in at 1:16 and cyclist is falling by 1:17, that’s less than 2 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

"I didn't punch him; he failed to move out of the way of my fist."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

amcalester wrote: »
    Motorist pulls in at 1:16 and cyclist is falling by 1:17, that’s less than 2 seconds.

the first reaction should always be hit the breaks, by swerving you could end up in a worse situation

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

amcalester wrote: »
    Is that you Dermot?
    There it is. Good old victim blaming. Watch it again, the taxi swerves in suddenly and quickly, there was no chance to stop and little chance to swerve. It's easy to sit here and say "oh you could have just swerved", but in reality your reaction times are different. You might need a second to realise what's happening and another to action it, but by then it was all over and the cyclist was on the deck.

If you really want to see victim-blaming, check out the views of our taxi-driving friends on the matter;

http://intaxi.org/forum/index.php?topic=9194.0

It was all a deliberate attempt to get some compo, apparently.

ganmo wrote: »
    the first reaction should always be hit the breaks, by swerving you could end up in a worse situation

Agreed, my point was that less than 2 seconds isn’t really long enough for the cyclist to make a conscious decision to “hold his line”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mc Love wrote: »

i hope the driver is ok. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Mc Love wrote: »

Those blo** cyclists they don't pay the road tax, where's there insurance! Sure it was clearly the cyclists fault, he could have damaged that poor car's paint!! They should make all them cyclists take the driving test and give them a licence!

Signed: "A typical Journal.ie commentator"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Utter scumbag. He should see some time in the 'joy for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If you really want to see victim-blaming, check out the views of our taxi-driving friends on the matter;

Interesting to note a couple of the comments do find fault with the driver though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Interesting to note a couple of the comments do find fault with the driver though.

Only 25 comments so far, give it a few more mins....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Lord jaysus that such a place exists. Some of those guys can barely spell their name by the looks of it.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Lord jaysus that such a place exists. Some of those guys can barely spell their name by the looks of it.

A bunch of real 'witty' salt o' de eart Dubs in there, this poster would opine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

:) thats some quality trolling right there. Fair play.

Considering it was the taxis second attempt, I'd say it's safe to say he'd have kept trying until he knocked the cyclist off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement