Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I can think of a few, but they’d show up as asterisks.

Hope he follows through on this.

More on this in the near misses thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its far from a near miss, it is a taxi deliberately knocking over a cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s not a near miss , it’s an actual hit. I’d push for an attemptive murder charge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

That taxi driver should never be allowed near a car again. Ever.

That's after he gets released for attempted murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭dermob

Attempted assault, murder, whatever. Using a vehicle as a weapon. That drivers in trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Zulu wrote: »
    :) thats some quality trolling right there. Fair play.

Considering it was the taxis second attempt, I'd say it's safe to say he'd have kept trying until he knocked the cyclist off.

It's a very clear form of assault. One would hope that the taxi driver would get a criminal record and his licence revoked.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

dermob wrote: »
    Attempted assault, murder, whatever. Using a vehicle as a weapon. That drivers in trouble

Really? I hope your right, but IF this even got to court I suspect the driver would be very unlucky to walk out with a fine and few penalty points! I do hope the cyclist does press charges as i would follow the case with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Really? I hope your right, but IF this even got to court I suspect the driver would be very unlucky to walk out with a fine and few penalty points! I do hope the cyclist does press charges as i would follow the case with interest.

Gardai are aware of it at least:

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-bike-taxi-collision-north-strand-4247701-Sep2018/

Beware journal.ie comments....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Can't even think of any words to comprehend what I've just seen in that video. I was knocked off my bike yesterday by a driver who was paying no attention, but this incident is so much worse. I cannot understand how that taxi driver has such little consideration for another person's life. As I explained to the driver who knocked me from my bike yesterday, I have a family I was cycling home to, and his 1,000kg car vastly outweighs me and my bike at a combined 100kg. Why are drivers in such a rush these days, slow down and we will all get to where we want to go in a safe manner.

And from a Taxi drivers view? (Warning..not pleasant reading)

http://intaxi.org/forum/index.php?topic=9194.0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I think its funny when people bawk at the idea of driverless cars saying "oh what if it makes a mistake and it does such and such..." - like the current standard of human driving is a high bar to get over.

With the rate autonomous driver technology is advancing I'll gladly take my chances with a computer driver over having to share the road with the psychopaths behind the wheel we have right now.

My expectations clicking in there weren't high and even still.....
    I hate c**ts on bikes, cyclists I respect but c**ts on bikes are vermin.
    :confused:

Duckjob wrote: »
    I think its funny when people bawk at the idea of driverless cars saying "oh what if it makes a mistake and it does such and such..." - like the current standard of human driving is a high bar to get over.

With the rate autonomous driver technology is advancing I'll gladly take my chances with a computer driver over having to share the road with the psychopaths behind the wheel we have right now.

A computer wouldn't be checking their facebook, having an auld chat on the phone, doing their makeup or just have a totally psychopathic view towards cyclists (maybe with Skynet).

My expectations clicking in there weren't high and even still.....

:confused:

I like this one: :)

"Just when we thought the public couldn`t detest us any more, Dermot has to go and upend a cyclist ! No wonder me arse is in two halves !!"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A computer wouldn't be checking their facebook, having an auld chat on the phone, doing their makeup or just have a totally psychopathic view towards cyclists (maybe with Skynet).
    To be fair my understanding is that Skynet starts with the Traffic system, I wonder which road user it would terminate first once it takes over completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I'm thinking Skynet could be quite alright with the whole half man-half machine cyborg element of a rider and bike combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ted1 wrote: »
    It’s not a near miss , it’s an actual hit....
    If you nearly hit someone, you miss them. Therefore if you nearly miss someone, you hit them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Can't even think of any words to comprehend what I've just seen in that video. I was knocked off my bike yesterday by a driver who was paying no attention, but this incident is so much worse. I cannot understand how that taxi driver has such little consideration for another person's life. As I explained to the driver who knocked me from my bike yesterday, I have a family I was cycling home to, and his 1,000kg car vastly outweighs me and my bike at a combined 100kg. Why are drivers in such a rush these days, slow down and we will all get to where we want to go in a safe manner.

I hope you (and the bike) are okay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I hope you (and the bike) are okay?

Thank you. I feel grand, no noticeable injuries and I walked away from the incident. Haven't looked at the bike since, am going to drop it into the shop for an inspection and service and the bill will be going to the driver that knocked me down. Am trying to get a case number from the Garda that attended, I just want it on record as a statistic more than anything. Email to Shane Ross and Charlie Flanagan to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I like this one: :)

"Just when we thought the public couldn`t detest us any more, Dermot has to go and upend a cyclist ! No wonder me arse is in two halves !!"

Surprisingly the comments in teh journal are pretty much universally siding the the cyclist. Why do I find myself saying "surprisingly" though..... :(

Fian wrote: »
    Surprisingly the comments in teh journal are pretty much universally siding the the cyclist. Why do I find myself saying "surprisingly" though..... :(

The people who carry out this type of thing need a fookin wake up call that doesn't involve killing an innocent person on a bike.

Hopefully this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Taxi driver will likely get a slap on the wrist. The judge will tell him he has a family to support and can't he without his license or some bollocks they usually say.

Had a near miss of a different kind yesterday. Shame I only had a rear camera. Scared the bejaysus out of me :D

Fian wrote: »

Probably because it's hard to defend the indefensible?

Edit...too late: "Of course the cyclist is ok, he got off and walked on to have an argument with the taxi driver, doesn’t look hurt to me, taxi driver won’t get a prison sentence, they’ll call it a moment of madness, the video is heavily edited, I would say the driver listed gently into the cyclist, cyclist could have avoided, went for the pay day. Far far worse drivers out there, this was very tame"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Jaysus!! :eek: What a disastrous representation of a body of professionals! Public as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Had a near miss of a different kind yesterday. Shame I only had a rear camera. Scared the bejaysus out of me :D...]
    Junction 4 subway (Donabate)?? That T junction is very 'blind' with no indication which side has right of way. I've met a few cyclists going through it at speed from the Donabate direction - not wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Jaysus!! :eek: What a disastrous representation of a body of professionals! Public as well.

Professional in terms of it being someone's profession to earn a living only. No skill or expertise required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Hurrache wrote: »
    Professional in terms of it being someone's profession to earn a living only. No skill or expertise required.

Professionals?

Being able to drive and have racist opinion with a touch of entitlement makes you a professional?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement