Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Junction 4 subway (Donabate)?? That T junction is very 'blind' with no indication which side has right of way. I've met a few cyclists going through it at speed from the Donabate direction - not wise.

Yep thats the one. I never really thought about not having right of way - I guess because the path through from Donabate is straight and the one from the Belfast road joins on to it pretty much at a right angle.

Also, apart from yesterday I've never seen a single soul in there when passing through. It was just after the storm had died down so I guess the last thing I was expecting was to be charged by a guy in an agricultural 4 wheeler :D

Anyway I'll definitely be a little bit more circumspect when going through there in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Duckjob wrote:
    Had a near miss of a different kind yesterday. Shame I only had a rear camera. Scared the bejaysus out of me

Had a slightly strange miss once whilst using that particular part of the tunnel. Came across a photographer taking pictures of a female who was in a sort of "beat the streets punk " type appearance. Nothing sleazy mind. You should have seen their eyes, wide as saucers, as I hurtled in their direction, letting a "Jaysus!!!" out of me. I've since taken to calling out in advance, although that guy in the video wouldn't have heard anyone shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Duckjob wrote: »
    .... I never really thought about not having right of way - I guess because the path through from Donabate is straight and the one from the Belfast road joins on to it pretty much at a right angle....
    Another thing to bear in mind is that's it's two way. Many cyclists presume that's it's one way (as there is another on the other side) but signage when coming from Swords indicates that northbound cyclists/pedestrians may use it (i.e. the one in your link) to travel to Donabate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Duckjob wrote: »
    Had a near miss of a different kind yesterday. Shame I only had a rear camera. Scared the bejaysus out of me :D

Holy shet!

Real footage of a council worker actually working lol!

I thought they just ate sandwiches in the van all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

italodisco wrote: »
    Holy shet!

Real footage of a council worker actually working lol!!....
    Contractor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

Mc Love wrote: »

West Midlands Police are to be applauded for their efforts.

Don’t quite understand though how the sentence is not more severe. Due care and attention? The driver was very attentive and deliberate in what he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How many decades will it take for An Garda Siochana to do this? Be proactive, recognise risk to cyclists, make it easy for people to report sh1t like this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'driving without due care and attention'? you're having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The judicial system in Ireland when it comes to handing down such sentences is obviously not unique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

How many decades will it take for An Garda Siochana to do this? Be proactive, recognise risk to cyclists, make it easy for people to report sh1t like this?

Given that a lot of police stations don’t even have a computer or internet access, I wouldn’t expect much too soon.

Having a portal would be great. It’s a complete pain in the ar$e having to go to a Garda station

Politicians need to legislate for a new separate charge of "deliberate endangerment" on the road, to categorise these actions differently from plain careless and inattentive driving.

This new charge needs to carry very hefty penalties up to lifetime driving ban and imprisonment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the taxi driver should be treated the same as if he had hit the guy with a baseball bat or used a knife

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

buffalo wrote: »
    If you report the sort of behaviour in the video they'll tell you to take it to the Gardaí, they're not interested.
    rushfan wrote: »
    Ok, we'll agree to disagree so.

If you look at the taxi complaint form, should you try to submit a complaint to TFI for either of a road traffic offence involving a taxi, or allegations of a criminal nature, they refer you to the Gardai, so they couldn't be much clearr about their remit here.

FWIW, I submitted a complaint about a taxi refusing a fare based off the destination (Castleknock to Coolmine) when hailed recently, and I was pleasantly surprised when I got a call a few weeks or maybe months later advising that the driver was interviewed and cautioned, so I don't doubt they take interest in matters within their remit, but these offences just aren't in that remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Given that a lot of police stations don’t even have a computer or internet access, I wouldn’t expect much too soon.

A lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

I'd love to know what the issues the Garda have with it are or how WMP resolved them, seems to revolve around possibility of video being tampered with by the person making the complaint. Issues re resources are easily solved if the will is there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

<Mod Note> It's been noted that the taxi incident is being investigated by the Gardaí (how could it not be), so for now please refrain from commenting on it for now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd love to know what the issues the Garda have with it are or how WMP resolved them, seems to revolve around possibility of video being tampered with by the person making the complaint. Issues re resources are easily solved if the will is there

I don't think that technical/legal issues are the real road blocks. I suspect it is a more fundamental issue - that cyclist safety counts for diddly-squat in Garda culture. They just don't want to hear these reports, so they're not going to make it easy.

hesker wrote: »
    West Midlands Police are to be applauded for their efforts.

Don’t quite understand though how the sentence is not more severe. Due care and attention? The driver was very attentive and deliberate in what he was doing.

This follow-up case is much more satisfying. The gob****e denied it and wouldn't accept the points first time round. Watch the video to see what happened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Fian wrote: »
    Surprisingly the comments in teh journal are pretty much universally siding the the cyclist. Why do I find myself saying "surprisingly" though..... :(

The only person hated more by motorists than the cyclist is a taxi-ist.

• Advertisement

Another day, another needless altercation with a monkey masquerading as a professional driver and a human.

At the airport roundabout again, coming from Swords direction, only this time I was turning right into the airport, so took the right lane coming into the roundabout.

Taxi gent coming up well behind, also going into the airport. First of all tries to pass me on the left to muscle in front of me behind another car that was waiting at the red light. Then he tucks in behind me. The lights go green, I go into the roundabout in the middle of the right lane. As the lane is quite wide, he then tries to muscle pass me on the right, before pulling back, beeping and yelling "F**k off!" from his beautiful Avensis.

We then pull up at lights at the other side of the roundabout and he starts roaring about how I'm not allowed to be on the "motorway". I told him the "motorway" is about 2k away over there and what he is on is called a "roundabout".

Comical and depressing in equal measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I was coming over the bridge yesterday just about to the right turn to go up by Tara Station yesterday evening. Taxi driver up tight behind me. I could feel him nearly touching the wheel. I was holding my position in the lane. He overtook me on the outside lane then and cut in right in front of me to get into the bus lane.
    Nearly skimmed my handlebars. Then stopped about ten yards away in traffic.

Fcuking dipso.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I was coming over the bridge yesterday just about to the right turn to go up by Tara Station yesterday evening. Taxi driver up tight behind me. I could feel him nearly touching the wheel. I was holding my position in the lane. He overtook me on the outside lane then and cut in right in front of me to get into the bus lane.

Fcuking dipso.
    I know that spot well and experienced the same and as you say you have to hold the lane..On the plus side you were home, showered and having your dinner and he was probably still on quays looking for his next fare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I know that spot well and experienced the same and as you say you have to hold the lane..On the plus side you were home, showered and having your dinner and he was probably still on quays looking for his next fare

True enough. The whole infrastructure is sh1te though. The Quays are mental with buses, taxis, normal traffic and cyclists all vying for space. Ridiculous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Nearly took out what I can guess was a drunk/junkie this morning, coming up N Strand road and as traffic was backed up hopped into the "Cycle Lane". and the guy stepped out from behind the post box. was not expecting it swerved and missed him but he's lucky to be alive still. didn't stop just kept powering up the hill, gave me a fright. think I'll stick to the road.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3571317,-6.2432772,3a,75y,69.45h,94.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssb1ZZ7BI_6xzfaelP5j8VQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Nearly took out what I can guess was a drunk/junkie this morning, coming up N Strand road and as traffic was backed up hopped into the "Cycle Lane". and the guy stepped out from behind the post box. was not expecting it swerved and missed him but he's lucky to be alive still. didn't stop just kept powering up the hill, gave me a fright. think I'll stick to the road.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3571317,-6.2432772,3a,75y,69.45h,94.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssb1ZZ7BI_6xzfaelP5j8VQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

just opened your link and saw this
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3566585,-6.2438173,3a,75y,204.69h,62.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLom62YDKh-16jJcrDHbu6A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

that's interesting. Is it a bridge for bicycles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

De Bhál wrote: »

I've no idea. no markings to indicate. perhaps they will widen he road at some point..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've no idea. no markings to indicate. perhaps they will widen he road at some point..

Yes, it's part of the Royal Canal Greenway route, which seems to be taking forever to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Fcuking dipso.

Close to there, a while back I was heading north on Tara St, in the right-hand lane to go over Butt Bridge and turn right at the Customs House. I was being tailgated by a taxi driver who eventually undertook me and cut in in front of me, shouting out his window that I wasn't allowed in that lane - "cyclists had to keep to the left kerb". I'm sure he would have had something else to say if I turned right across 4 lanes of traffic.

• Advertisement

p15574 wrote: »
    Close to there, a while back I was heading north on Tara St, in the right-hand lane to go over Butt Bridge and turn right at the Customs House. I was being tailgated by a taxi driver who eventually undertook me and cut in in front of me, shouting out his window that I wasn't allowed in that lane - "cyclists had to keep to the left kerb". I'm sure he would have had something else to say if I turned right across 4 lanes of traffic.

Based on my recent couple of interactions with "taxi drivers", I'm come the the conclusion that either:

a) Despite being "professional" drivers, their knowledge and understanding of the rules of the road is really poor and the intricacies of traffic flow are actually well beyond their mental capacity.

- or -

b) They know they're spouting complete sh*te but don't care because any sense of logic or reason in their head is being overrun by irrational hatred on soon as they lay their eyes on a cyclist, so in their eyes it doesnt really matter if you're right or wrong - once you're on 2 wheels and you are in front of them - you're wrong because you shouldnt be there.

The sad reality I think is, as Homer Simpson would say, a little from column A and a little from column B.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement