Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Negotiating a two lane roundabout the other day. I'm heading for the 3 o'clock exit and the road is clear all around.
    But wait, what is this? A car approaches along the road leading to the 9 o'clock entrance with great alacrity.
    I'm on the roundabout. I have the right of way, but I just don't like the look of this fellow, or the way he is approaching the roundabout.

I slow to see what he is up to.

Not slowing down is what he is up to.

I continue with caution but assertively enough to get the motorist to come to judder to a stop about a car length past the entrance to the roundabout and just short of my path on the my way round.
    I manoeuver around the front of the car and head for my exit.

So far so good.
    Then the fellow puts the boot down again, swerves across the two lanes of the roundabout, and exits in the same direction as myself.

I'm happy enough that I haven't been rammed by this dude, but the dude still has something to say. As he is passing me he opens his passenger window, leans across the lady who is his confused looking passenger, and roars "Hurarrgh do blearrgh thragh!" at me.

So my question to the forum is what do you think these words of wisdom could be? I'm fairly sure that there were 4 maybe 5 distinct words. I couldn't discern any of them to be from any particular language. I don't think they were a form of apology either, but I may just be basing this on the fact that they looked like a demented wild-eyed skinhead.

All guesses welcome to solve this mystery!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

check_six wrote: »
    roars "Hurarrgh do blearrgh thragh!" at me.

My Guess:

"Sorry about that mate! my mistake. I hope i didn't scare you with my reckless driving?"

Too many words maybe? :D

Likely neanderthal dialect for "Have you seen my club pal?"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"Hurarrgh do blearrgh thragh!"
    ="Excuse me but would you mind awfully using the cycle path like the law states because you don't pay road tax or insurance you awful lycra clad person?"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It was 'excuse me, your saddle colour and bar tape colour clash' I think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

"Non Euro socks" is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

p15574 wrote: »
    Close to there, a while back I was heading north on Tara St, in the right-hand lane to go over Butt Bridge and turn right at the Customs House. I was being tailgated by a taxi driver who eventually undertook me and cut in in front of me, shouting out his window that I wasn't allowed in that lane - "cyclists had to keep to the left kerb". I'm sure he would have had something else to say if I turned right across 4 lanes of traffic.

You do realise that as cyclists we need to find a route to our destination without turning left or right?

I work on Tara street and am amazed how a 4 lane road through the heart of the city can have zero provision for cycling.
    So my question to the forum is what do you think these words of wisdom could be? I'm fairly sure that there were 4 maybe 5 distinct words. I couldn't discern any of them to be from any particular language. I don't think they were a form of apology either, but I may just be basing this on the fact that they looked like a demented wild-eyed skinhead.

All guesses welcome to solve this mystery!

“An IQ test would keep me off the road” perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

That driver was a time traveller from the 18th century. What he was shouting was the traditional battle-cry of the Wild Geese: "Fághaim bealach!"

This battle-cry is in fact today the central philosophy of all drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

I continue with caution but assertively enough to get the motorist to come to judder to a stop about a car length past the entrance to the roundabout and just short of my path on the my way round.
    I manoeuver around the front of the car and head for my exit.

So far so good.
    Then the fellow puts the boot down again, swerves across the two lanes of the roundabout, and exits in the same direction as myself.

I'm happy enough that I haven't been rammed by this dude, but the dude still has something to say. As he is passing me he opens his passenger window, leans across the lady who is his confused looking passenger, and roars "Hurarrgh do blearrgh thragh!" at me.

I had something similar happen to me a few years back, driver came in from the 12 o'clock and I didn't think he was going to stop. All I could do was stick my foot out sole-first to take some of the impact instead of him ramming my leg. He managed to brake enough so that he just lightly hit my foot and I toppled over.

His first words as he came over to me lying on the ground?

"I stopped just in time."

I reckon he was the same guy, taking full credit for his elite driving skills which avoided a nearly-inevitable accident. You should be grateful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

buffalo wrote: »
    I had something similar happen to me a few years back, driver came in from the 12 o'clock and I didn't think he was going to stop. All I could do was stick my foot out sole-first to take some of the impact instead of him ramming my leg. He managed to brake enough so that he just lightly hit my foot and I toppled over.

His first words as he came over to me lying on the ground?

"I stopped just in time."

I reckon he was the same guy, taking full credit for his elite driving skills which avoided a nearly-inevitable accident. You should be grateful!

I was hit by a motorist on a roundabout and I'm not sure how it happened but instead of ending up on the ground I was knocked on to my feet and after a bit of a slide I ended up running in front of and away from the car for about 10 feet.

Not really relevant but your story reminded of it.

It was 'excuse me, your saddle colour and bar tape colour clash' I think?
    CramCycle wrote: »
    "Non Euro socks" is my guess

Jaysis, lads! That's very close to the bone!

Do we cross paths on the daily commute? Getting paranoid here!

amcalester wrote: »
    I was hit by a motorist on a roundabout and I'm not sure how it happened but instead of ending up on the ground I was knocked on to my feet and after a bit of a slide I ended up running in front of and away from the car for about 10 feet.

Not really relevant but your story reminded of it.

I had a similar but self-inflicted incident in Dublin city centre once. Coming down one of the hills away from Christchurch the road surface is a bit slippy. I must have gone over a road marking or manhole and "BANG!" the bike hits the deck... but I don't. Somehow, I miraculously ended up skidding down the road in a kind of skiier type position sans velo. The bike and I came to a stop, I picked it up and went on my merry way.

Be kind of handy to be able to repeat that feat at will, but I think it was just a freak once-off thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

We've all had similar I guess. Mine was a bit sillier. On an MTB and was coming to a barrier carrying a bit of speed. Over confident I said I'd make the tiny gap no problem. I didn't. Caught the corner somehow managing to flip in the air and landed on my feet the other side of the barrier. Dent in the handle bars where I caught it and still have the scar on my finger, I'd say I wasn't far off chopping it off.

Fortunately I had an audience to witness my amazing feat, otherwise nobody would have believed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'd have stopped but for the guy behind me

Apologies for the audio - have to figure out how to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Been cycling only 6 months mainly to lose weight and for fun.  Generally driver behavior around Limerick city and the nearby suburbs of Clare is pretty good.  Except today.  Some <snip> decided for my added enjoyment and entertainment, that it would be a good idea to give me a dose of dangerous driving, intimidation and assault all in the one package.  Very efficient of them I must say.  I know why too as I had a run in with the same crowd of scum last month in the same spot!!   This was obviously revenge in their twisted minds.

Dragging myself up past Caherdavin, approaching the LIT round about.  I'm nearly out of breath by time I get there.  There are 2 lanes.  And there  are 3 exits : left for LIT, 2nd exit for the student houses , and 2  O'Clock for Limerick city. I'm in the right lane for Limerick city. A few cars are behind me.  It's all relaxed.  When there is nothing coming from the right of me and roundabout it clear, I set off.  Next thing a Ford transit comes flying out of the first exit on the left, blowing the horn.  The car behind me stops.  At this point I'm past the 2nd exit but the <snip> in the Ford decide to swerve around me, pushing me into the kerb.  At the same time the passenger nails me on the head with a half empty can of red bull, followed up with an empty long neck heino bottle.  I ducked after the red bull, so the glass bottle missed me and smashed against the path.

Luckily I didn't fall over. And after I recovered from the shock I gathered up the neck of the bottle which was still in tact and the red bull can. Put them into my back pack. Evidence  I suppose.  I also got the reg, and recognized the passenger from an incident with the same vehicle last month.  Except he was the driver that time and I didn't get the reg so didn't report it.  

Last month the same scum intimidated me by driving inches near my back wheel on the same roundabout, while leaning on the horn. He waited at the first exit  till I was past him and very purposefully pulled in behind me to scare me. When I caught up at the lights and asked what he was at, I got some <snip> speak and all I could make out was 'Cycle path' (there is none) and 'I'll make you dead'.  About 20 minutes later on my route home saw the same van parked inside a halting site and recognised the scrote in question.  Too far away and bad position to make out the reg with my eyesight.

The story doesn't end there.  I went to the cops today and made a statement. The reg belongs to a red VW Bora.  So stolen, cloned, whatever.  I knew this beforehand too as I checked online. The cop I spoke with said they will investigate but without video evidence it's their word against mine.  I handed him the can and bottle and asked if they could get fingerprints from it and match it to the scobe who I described to them in detail.  I got comical looks.  

Anyway will chase this to see what can be done.  These scum should not be on the road.  I think I will get some cameras soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

His word against yours, without evidence or independent witnesses I can understand that, but the car is on dodgy plates, the van belongs to a halting site and I guarantee you the owner has previous convictions. On top of that, you're hardly going to go down to the station to make a statement for the craic. There's obviously merit there.

Hopefully it leads somewhere for you, and hopefully you can cycle trouble free for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Flaccus wrote: »
    The cop I spoke with said they will investigate but without video evidence it's their word against mine.

Garda talk for "I couldn't give a **** following up on this"

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

mloc123 wrote: »
    Garda talk for "I couldn't give a **** following up on this"

Don't jump to conclusions, the Guard is correct. Unfortunately it is one word against the other. What do you want the Guard to do, promise him the sun, moon and stars but then come back and tell him he can't do anything about it because pal and his cronies have denied any such incident took place?

Unfortunately, the 'comical looks' the poster got, however irritating they may have been, are simply telling him that no prints can be got from either object.

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeals, they sound scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Hopefully the scum will be done for driving with cloned/illegal plates.  Was hoping they could use the description I gave them and reg of the van to question aforementioned scum and cross reference its prints (assuming it has a record) against those on the can.  Probably in the realms of CSI so asking a bit much.  In any case I'm taking the same route tomorrow.  This is the only aggro I have ever had in 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Unfortunately, the 'comical looks' the poster got, however irritating they may have been, are simply telling him that no prints can be got from either object.
    How do you know no prints could be got? If this had been a garda's 18 year old daughter, who was attacked while walking home late at night on her own, and handed in a knife, the butt of which she was smacked on the head with as it was thrown at her (blade folded away) -then I bet there would be no comical looks -and that prints would have been taken.

Be it theft of their vehicles or physical attacks it often seems to me the garda treat bicycle related crime like it is some "schoolyard crime" and just brush it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

. Unfortunately it is one word against the other.
    Most court cases and Garda investigations are 'one word against the other'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Camera time. Front and back.

And if it was me I'd change my route. No point getting into a vendetta with people like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

ED E wrote: »
    A cyclist is in a critical condition in hospital after she collided with another cyclist outside Bandon in west Cork this morning.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/woman-seriously-injured-after-bicycle-crash-in-co-cork-1.3646391
    The woman received serious head injuries when her bicycle hit a pothole a Gurteen Cross near Bandon shortly before 9am.

Hit a pothole and then came down with a cycling buddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

buffalo wrote: »

Would that warrant a forensic investigation?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ganmo wrote: »
    Would that warrant a forensic investigation?

Forensic = Significant chance of a fatality. Suppose its worth collecting evidence even if there's no original collision per say as the family/victim may end up taking a case against the LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This was one of the worst I've experienced. I would say there was a couple of millimetres in this:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Clown is riding the ass of the car infront of him, and it looked like he/she made a tight pass of the other car before getting to you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bloody hell!
    11-D-50828
    Dangerous overtaking not just almost hitting you but also hitting the oncoming car.
    Report the bugger!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement