Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No contact details for the Traffic Corps, and the Garda phoned from a private number.

Yes, that's it. There's even a sign at the bus stop https://goo.gl/maps/iEQWVQxk7EM2

I was blared out of it along there, the one time I cycled there about 4 years ago by a driver not happy I was on the road (and we were all sitting at a red light at the time). I think I know someone who drives that route actually...

This thread has just taught me that I'm glad I don't commute by bike anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Someone from Craigavon PSNI, not only cycles but has a fairly hefty amount of common sense and respect for everyone. They get my thumbs up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

mp31 wrote: »
    Ring Dublin Bus to make a complaint even if you don't have your own video footage. Tell them the route, the bus number, the time of the incident and they will be able to locate the driver and hopefully the video footage from the on-board video cameras. Get them to ring you back with a case number and make a call to Traffic Watch with that case number to report the incident to the Garda.

Posted here about an incident at the end of February where a Dublin Bus driver cut in on me on a combined bus/bike lane along by Glasnevin Cemetery. He was pissed off that I hadn't gone on the alternative bike lane on the footpath. This is regularly blocked by illegally parked cars so I stay on the road.

I complained with details to both Dublin Bus and the Gardaí. Dublin Bus issued a very courteous reply and stated that they had identified the driver and that "whatever action is deemed necessary to prevent a recurrence will be taken". Despite two reminders, all I have heard from the Gardai in that a member from Finglas GS will be in touch. I'm no longer holding my breath.frown.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The phone business is beyond a laughing matter now. Cycling today I saw two people reading their phone at lights; both of them were still reading it (one as she leaned over to put it down, so not even her face was facing forward) as they drew away from the lights.

Dublin Bus issued a very courteous reply and stated that they had identified the driver and that "whatever action is deemed necessary to prevent a recurrence will be taken".

I got the same from BE, and it is just unacceptable IMO. It is the weirdest thing. I didn't want to press charges, I did not want him fired, I wanted either a Sorry (I would have shaken his hand and said no worries) or for him to see a picture of my kids (not fair, not all cyclists have kids and that does not make me more important, but we all have friends or family) and just accept that, it was not worth it.

That's what gets me in the end, I have made mistakes, reacted incorrectly or inappropriately but I would like to think, I realised afterwards (I might not have, which is harder to admit, I often do not realise till I have ranted here and someone points it out to me). They may not realise and that to me is oddly, far more upsetting or annoying than the incident itself.

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    The phone business is beyond a laughing matter now. Cycling today I saw two people reading their phone at lights; both of them were still reading it (one as she leaned over to put it down, so not even her face was facing forward) as they drew away from the lights.

Your getting complacent if you only saw two (no offence intended). I have a longer commute than some but I probably see two on mobiles before my first traffic light (under two minutes from my door). 20 in the first five minutes, after that it actually gets noticeable. I have even gotten to the point where I only notice the bad ones after I get half way in, and wonder how much less traffic would be if everyone could tolerate no phones or make up for 30 minutes in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In about 20 mins of a homebound route I'll see a minimum of 20 phone zombies, but normally more like 40. Less in the mornings.

ED E wrote: »
    In about 20 mins of a homebound route I'll see a minimum of 20 phone zombies, but normally more like 40. Less in the mornings.

It's quite incredible how little this is policed. Fish in a barrel, or maybe, since it's so deadly, piranha in a barrel. A US study:

http://blog.zendrive.com/distracted-driving/

415021.png

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Two near misses on a spin the other day

First as I was heading up the ramp at the Pitch and Putt course just before you drop down to Johnny Foxes, Ballyedmond road? it's a narrow twisty road and a taxi passed, but just as I was thinking it was on the silly side rather than dangerous side of things another car followed, this one was definitely dangerous as they had no sight line at all apart from just following the taxi in front who was a couple of seconds ahead of them. Inevitably a car was coming the other direction around the blind bend, couple of tenths of a second and it'd have been carnage. Given the standard of driving of the second car passing I've little doubt in my mind that if a decision had to be made to either have a head on collision or take out the two young lads from the club who had just passed me, it'd be the young lads would have paid the price.

Second one was as I was descending past the Mick Wall memorial on stocking road, there was a car literally blocking the entire road at the entrance to the house there. Dropped the anchors and stopped in plenty of time. All the while the driver looking at me like a rabbit in the headlights. I stopped and waited for them to complete what ever stupid maneuver they were attempting but when they stalled I just went around them via the driveway. On the plus side I got to test the braking to the limit on some new wheels, had to feather the rear bake a bit to stop it locking up and fishtailing.

I should put the cameras back on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Coming in to work today, I was alerted by some guy beeping his horn. This started at the hill approaching the junction of Bridge Street / High Street, just at Christchurch. The roads are quiet these mornings, and I tend to take the lane anyway. Plenty of room to pass me on my right. The beeping was constant and sometimes continuous. It was happening perhaps 100 meters or so behind me. It got my attention a few times, I glanced around and could see a car behind a cyclist, travelling at the cyclists speed. There was plenty of room to pass on the right - three lanes as you approach Christchurch, then effectively a dual carriageway to St. Patrick's cathedral.

Anyway, the horn blaring continued around through Jury's down the hill at Patrick Street and around the corner to the junction of Kevin Street. The cyclist behind me (the subject of the horn blaring) caught up with me at the lights and said some nutcase had tailgated him, horn blaring, all the way from the quays to the junction at Kevin Street, where the driver now got caught in traffic. Personally, I would have found it hard to inquire as to what exactly the problem was, given the roads are quiet and there's plenty of room to pass, but he let it go. Mentioned reporting it to the guards, but not sure if he got any details. I pass the cyclist regularly on my commute, so would be happy to go as a witness to this.

Cars send people mad people, be careful out there.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Coming in to work today, I was alerted by some guy beeping his horn. This started at the hill approaching the junction of Bridge Street / High Street, just at Christchurch. The roads are quiet these mornings, and I tend to take the lane anyway. Plenty of room to pass me on my right. The beeping was constant and sometimes continuous. It was happening perhaps 100 meters or so behind me. It got my attention a few times, I glanced around and could see a car behind a cyclist, travelling at the cyclists speed. There was plenty of room to pass on the right - three lanes as you approach Christchurch, then effectively a dual carriageway to St. Patrick's cathedral.

Anyway, the horn blaring continued around through Jury's down the hill at Patrick Street and around the corner to the junction of Kevin Street. The cyclist behind me (the subject of the horn blaring) caught up with me at the lights and said some nutcase had tailgated him, horn blaring, all the way from the quays to the junction at Kevin Street, where the driver now got caught in traffic. Personally, I would have found it hard to inquire as to what exactly the problem was, given the roads are quiet and there's plenty of room to pass, but he let it go. Mentioned reporting it to the guards, but not sure if he got any details. I pass the cyclist regularly on my commute, so would be happy to go as a witness to this.

Cars send people mad people, be careful out there.

Time for more people to have cameras. I've noticed drivers behaving rather more carefully in the couple of days since I put the camera on. When they see it, they suddenly start behaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Chuchote wrote: »
    Time for more people to have cameras. I've noticed drivers behaving rather more carefully in the couple of days since I put the camera on. When they see it, they suddenly start behaving.

I have a dual light on my bike - one's as strobe, the other a flood light. It's a kind of odd looking thing. The odd time' I'll point at it like it's a camera and it seems t work. It's a bit like those fake CCTV camera you put on your house.:pac:

But yeah, a proper one would be a worthwhile investment. It's going to be crazy next week when the schools go back......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Thank you for all your comments re my near miss yesterday. I sent in a complaint to Dublin bus so lets see what happens. I don't hold out much hope of them doing anything other than pay lipservice to the complaint based on others similar experiences but lets see.

Over a day on and I still feel the adrenaline from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

Posted here about an incident at the end of February where a Dublin Bus driver cut in on me on a combined bus/bike lane along by Glasnevin Cemetery. He was pissed off that I hadn't gone on the alternative bike lane on the footpath. This is regularly blocked by illegally parked cars so I stay on the road.

I complained with details to both Dublin Bus and the Gardaí. Dublin Bus issued a very courteous reply and stated that they had identified the driver and that "whatever action is deemed necessary to prevent a recurrence will be taken". Despite two reminders, all I have heard from the Gardai in that a member from Finglas GS will be in touch. I'm no longer holding my breath.frown.png

Please don't let that stop you from reporting incidents in the future. As for the current complaint I'd suggest ringing Traffic Watch again and telling them that no one has called you back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Was an interesting post on Dash cam thread in motors this morning, general gist was some guy listed a load of things that annoy him about cyclists and that they're a hazard on the roads and there should be a penalty point system. The list was the usual - breaking lights, no high viz or helmets, etc.. The post, along with my reply, have since been deleted because it's "not the place", but his attitude seems in line with what everyone is reporting in this thread tbh.

A bunch of cyclists not playing by the rules giving all of us a bad name, along with poor interpretation of the rules, along with just downright ignorance, resulting in not giving a sh*t about cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

The trouble with it is that motorists only ever notice the bad ones. If you were to ask a motorist to tell you how many cyclists they passed on the way to work this morning, they wouldn't have a clue, unless of course one of them broke a red light, took the lane or so on.

Really, as cyclists we only really pay attention to the bad drivers too, but the bad drivers have tonnes of vehicle around them, which can do even more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Danbo! wrote: »
    A bunch of cyclists not playing by the rules giving all of us a bad name, along with poor interpretation of the rules, along with just downright ignorance, resulting in not giving a sh*t about cyclists.

Firstly though, who's "all of us?" I mean.. bicyclists are one of the most diverse group of people out there.. kinda like.. society really!

Also respect from motorists towards cyclists(many of whom are motorists also) should not have to be earned it should be a given!

The trouble with it is that motorists only ever notice the bad ones. If you were to ask a motorist to tell you how many cyclists they passed on the way to work this morning, they wouldn't have a clue, unless of course one of them broke a red light, took the lane or so on.

I pondered that one...in a lot of near misses or close passes, the common response by the motorist is "Sorry mate I didn't see you"... therefore, how are bicyclists noticed when they go through a red traffic signal? :confused::D

Really, as cyclists we only really pay attention to the bad drivers too, but the bad drivers have tonnes of vehicle around them, which can do even more damage.

This was the basis of my, now deleted, reply. In a car, you might see hundreds of cyclists pass you, but only a limited number of cars around you. On a bike, you will see hundreds of cars but only a few cyclists around you.

Either way, the majority of cars behave well and are therefore unremarkable, but you'll remember the bad ones. But for some reason cyclists are an easy target for some people to write off as "all the same".

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Firstly though, who's "all of us?" I mean.. bicyclists are one of the most diverse group of people out there.. kinda like.. society really!

Anyone who uses a bike. Can I not categorise cyclists into a collective group?
    Also respect from motorists towards cyclists(many of whom are motorists also) should not have to be earned it should be a given!

I never said it should be earned. I'm saying that there is a minority of road users out there that believe this respect, whether earned or given, can be revoked from all cyclists based on their own experiences or ignorance of the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have to say that the narrative surrounding bad drivers, at least here, is just that there are SOME terrible drivers out there. Despite the claims may by blow-ins, nobody very often says anything like "I hate motorists". It would be silly anyway, as you'd hate most or a very substantial minority of all the adults you know.

Either way, the majority of cars behave well and are therefore unremarkable, but you'll remember the bad ones. But for some reason cyclists are an easy target for some people to write off as "all the same".

Sorry, but the majority break speed limits daily, so much so that casual speeding is almost socially acceptable! (though not widely publicised)
    Also such things as use of a mobile phone, it's an epidemic, figures put the rate of which people look at there smartphones as being around 110 times a day, even a 2 second glance at 80kph is enough to leave you essentially blind for almost 2 basketball court lengths!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Either way, the majority of cars behave well and are therefore unremarkable, but you'll remember the bad ones.
    82% of motorists break urban speed limits, according to the RSA Speed Survey.

So that's 18% who behave well.

And parking on the footway is endemic. In fact, motorists frequently eschew the legal option (parking fully on the road), to climb up on the footway (which is illegal) as a "courtesy" to other drivers.

I suspect that that's the closest analogue to red light breaking by cyclists. Speeding has a disproportionately high effect on road injuries and fatalities. Footway parking is just uncivil and sometimes places vulnerable people in hazardous situations, or just makes their life that bit worse. Sometimes it's unbelievably dickish.

"Eschew" seems to be my new favourite word.

Anyone who uses a bike. Can I not categorise cyclists into a collective group?

that would be an ecumenical matter! ;)

Though it's a bit like saying everyone from X country or X race behaves in a certain manner.. It's just too broad a statement to bunch a group of very diverse people into one group and just re-enforces the "Them and us" cyclist Vs. Motorist debate that the media love!

that would be an ecumenical matter! ;)

Though it's a bit like saying everyone from X country or X race behaves in a certain manner.. It's just too broad a statement to bunch a group of very diverse people into one group and just re-enforces the "Them and us" cyclist Vs. Motorist debate that the media love!

That is exactly my point though. A few people on bikes behaving badly results in some people losing respect for all cyclists.

That is exactly my point though. A few people on bikes behaving badly results in some people losing respect for all cyclists.

Yea sorry, just don't get how two people, say a cyclist and a motorist who have never met, just happen to "lose respect" for each other, despite never having met?
    How can the driver have determined whether a cyclist had or had not “earned” sufficient respect?

Not saying it's your exact opinion but "bikes behaving badly" seems just like an excuse not to admonish bad or potentially dangerous behavior by motorists..

I don't think a few people behaving badly results in other people losing respect. The others just seize on the bad behaviour to rationalise their dislike.

It's the unfortunate position of being in a minority or out-group. Individuals are treated as representative of the whole in a way that never happens with the majority.

Ian Walker writes about this a fair bit:
    https://thepsychologist.bps.org.uk/volume-25/edition-9/interview-vulnerable-road-users

See especially the section that beings:
    A report from the Transport Research Laboratory and University of Strathclyde a few years ago led by Lynn Basford (PDF via tinyurl.com/7qk877b) suggested that there’s some classic social psychology at work here – cyclists represent an outgroup such that the usual outgroup effects are seen, particularly overgeneralisation of negative behaviour and attributes – ‘They all ride through red lights all the time’. It’s hard to escape the conclusion that something of this sort is going on.

• Advertisement

Yea sorry, just don't get how two people, say a cyclist and a motorist who have never met, just happen to "lose respect" for each other, despite never having met?
    How can the driver have determined whether a cyclist had or had not “earned†sufficient respect?

Not saying it's your exact opinion but "bikes behaving badly" seems just like an excuse not to admonish bad or potentially dangerous behavior by motorists..

I was just saying that the general gist of the post in the motors forum had tones of that, and that I could not understand why someone would decide to decide to disrespect all cyclists based on their interactions with some. Basically, I see motorists driving poorly daily but do not all of a sudden have the opinion all motorists are a hazard, so I'm wondering why it (at least seems to) happen with cyclists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement