Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This was one of the worst I've experienced. I would say there was a couple of millimetres in this:

What position were you on the road? - You seem quite central? Could you have moved a little nearer the path?

Looks like the driver was trying to avoid a head on collsion! Dangerous driving indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

What position were you on the road? - You seem quite central? Could you have moved a little nearer the path?

Looks like the driver was trying to avoid a head on collsion! Dangerous driving indeed.

You don't cycle much do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

This was one of the worst I've experienced. I would say there was a couple of millimetres in this:

Please report that to Traffic Watch, if you have the time and energy. That is lethal behaviour and that driver is a danger to everyone on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thats dangerous driving, tailgating the car in front. Must have been in a rush somewhere important

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Moflojo wrote:
    Please report that to Traffic Watch, if you have the time and energy. That is lethal behaviour and that driver is a danger to everyone on the road.

100%. Report this danger to society. 11-D-50828.

Not just for everyone else including your and our families but also for that person. Might be a wake up call

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Shocking stuff. But at least they go to their destination 10 seconds quicker than if they waited behind you and considered your life, family and friends.

amcalester wrote: »
    You don't cycle much do you?

Explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hurrache wrote: »
    Clown is riding the ass of the car infront of him, and it looked like he/she made a tight pass of the other car before getting to you.

Actually the close-passer double overtook. They were well behind and passed at least 1 car and me in one motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Big shout out to the hero taking her dog for a walk yesterday at 6pm along the coast at Clontarf.

I saw her with her head buried in her phone, approaching the cycle track.
    I watched as she let her dog (which appeared to be off the lead) run across the cycle track without lifting her head from the phone.
    I let a shout at her to "watch out" as she followed after her dog, stepping onto the cycle track, without looking up from her phone.
    But her crowning achievement was her use of a near invisible retractable lead, which she now had stretching across the cycle track, which I didn't see. Fu/ckin class A moron.

By the grace of god the cable caught me at my elbows and not my neck. And thankfully it snapped before it slide up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mod Note: If you want to victim blame, do it elsewhere. This is as clear a cut example of dangerous and inconsiderate driving as you can find.

• Advertisement

Explain?

He was cycling where he was to encourage the motorists behind to only overtake when there was no on-coming traffic i.e. when it was safe.

By cycling more towards the gutter some drivers will try and squeeze past, whether it is safe to do so or not.

And some others, just don't care either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Explain?

Cycling closer to the path is a recipe for disaster. It encourages more dangerous overtakes like in the video shown, and gives you nowhere to go in the event of sudden and unforeseen obstacles in your path.

Roughly 1 metre from the path is a good distance to keep, for your own safety.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Mod Note: If you want to victim blame, do it elsewhere. This is as clear a cut example of dangerous and inconsiderate driving as you can find.

Victim blame ? I watched the video and apart from the obvious dangerous driving - my takeaway was that the cyclist was very central on the road. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Victim blame ? I watched the video and apart from the obvious dangerous driving - my takeaway was that the cyclist was very central on the road. Apologies.

The cyclist is in the exact part of the road that he/she should be. It is not the cyclist's job to be as far left as possible so cars can overtake quicker. It is the responsibility of cars and other overtaking traffic to wait until it is safe to overtake.

The driver overtook more one car and decided to plough through behind the Nissan Note who was overtaking me (The Nissan was already dangerous given the approaching traffic on the right). Rather than pull in behind me the black golf carried on the overtake despite the oncoming traffic. They are obliged to yield to oncoming traffic when overtaking, to not do so would be anarchy.

My position was not even central to the lane, I was less than 1M from the kerb. Moving a few cm to the left does not make it safe for people to overtake in this circumstance.

I'll be calling traffic watch after lunch.

yop wrote: »
    Shocking stuff. But at least they go to their destination 10 seconds quicker than if they waited behind you and considered your life, family and friends.

There was a tractor in front doing about 30km/h, I caught up with the passer about 20 seconds after this. They gained nothing.

There was a tractor in front doing about 30km/h, I caught up with the passer about 20 seconds after this. They gained nothing.

As is usually the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I'm glad, that was disgraceful, thankfully you are ok. Could have ended up way worse.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did you say or do anything to make them aware that they are a dangerous idiot?

Did you say or do anything to make them aware that they are a dangerous idiot?

I caught up behind them, wasn't going to try and pass to make a point and look like an nutter. Hopefully the gardai calling to their house will be enough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

Roughly 1 metre from the path is a good distance to keep, for your own safety.

I had posted a video of dangerous passing (couldn't call them overtakes!) earlier in this thread and the advice here was to keep further out from the left. Can't +1 this advice enough! My adventures along the New Nangor Road have been very pleasant and incident free since.

It won't prevent dangerous stuff like Alanstrainor had but it cuts out passing within the same lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Mc Love wrote: »
    Just saw this on twitter

The driving on that video is so ludracrisly bad it's begging to be sped up in a forward/backward loop with Benny Hill music.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

I cycle this route most days myself with a camera. I’ve had a few of these . I reported one to traffic watch near there and heard nothing for two weeks

Then malahide station came back to me . They informed me they would call up to the house .
    I then got another call a few days later from the guard in question. I didn’t take it any further but at least I got the satisfaction of the guard calling upto the house and telling her what she did . Of course she didn’t even know she nearly hit me , well that what she said to the guard anyway .

So definitely worth ringing traffic watch

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭BikeRacer

The red yaris must of flashed to let them out, the silver golf flashes the hazards to say thanks just before it hits him. Wasn't even looking for anyone in the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I don't know... the silver car is in the wrong here but the cyclist does nothing to avoid the follow up incident (turning into the petrol station).

Drivers are idiots, doesn't matter if you are on a bike or in a car... If a car pulled out in front of me like that I would not chance passing somebody that makes such poor decisions at speed on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Duckjob wrote: »
    The driving on that video is so ludracrisly bad it's begging to be sped up in a forward/backward loop with Benny Hill music.

The driver was in the wrong for pulling out, but the cyclists should of never undertook him again while the indicator was still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I've always wondered at what point do these rules of the road apply in a scenario similar to above?
    (b) “A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

It seems very vague. Is it the case, if a vehicle is indicating left and a cyclist is behind, then they've right of way and woe betide the cyclist; or does the vehicle have to complete the maneuver before the cyclist passes through - absolving the cyclist of all blame in an incident such as this.

For me, when I see a car indicating left, I'm not going up the inside.

So while in the above situation the initial turn by the car was terrible - I'm conflicted by the turn into the petrol station, and I'd consider the cyclist as having to bear an amount of responsibility (albeit quite small).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The driver overtook more one car and decided to plough through behind the Nissan Note who was overtaking me (The Nissan was already dangerous given the approaching traffic on the right). Rather than pull in behind me the black golf carried on the overtake despite the oncoming traffic. They are obliged to yield to oncoming traffic when overtaking, to not do so would be anarchy.

My position was not even central to the lane, I was less than 1M from the kerb. Moving a few cm to the left does not make it safe for people to overtake in this circumstance.

That's crazy over taking. Just careless for the cyclist and traffic coming towards him/her. If he/she had hit the other car, the cyclist and the other car driver would of have the potential for serious injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The driver was in the wrong for pulling out, but the cyclists should of never undertook him again while the indicator was still on.
    JazzyJ wrote: »
    if a vehicle is indicating left and a cyclist is behind, then they've right of way and woe betide the cyclist; .......

For me, when I see a car indicating left, I'm not going up the inside.

462883.JPG

The hazards were on, the car wasn't indicating to go either direction by the looks of it.

I reckon what happened is that it was indicating left as it was exiting from Ballymount, left the indicator on, but also hit the hazards which disguised the fact the indicator was already on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement