Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can't see it posted in here....seen on social media today. Holy crapballs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Jesus Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Bloody hell, damn lucky the car behind him didnt just take you out there, they’d no chance of seeing you.

Taltos wrote: »
    Bloody hell, damn lucky the car behind him didnt just take you out there, they’d no chance of seeing you.

Not me, thankfully. Poster has put the full 10 min video into one of the youtube comments and funny (?) thing is that all the other cars seem to have no trouble seeing him and giving plenty of space. This moron however, will kill someone. I've watched the video so many times tonight and I still jump a little each time.

• Advertisement

F me. You could have put a lump of coal up my bum and I'd have pooped a diamond after that one. Christ.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Aah now, if the cyclist were wearing their high vis stuff that wouldn't have happened!

F me. You could have put a lump of coal up my bum and I'd have pooped a diamond after that one. Christ.
    Well there is a phrase I am stealing

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

PMSL at that Enfilade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Not me, thankfully. Poster has put the full 10 min video into one of the youtube comments and funny (?) thing is that all the other cars seem to have no trouble seeing him and giving plenty of space. This moron however, will kill someone. I've watched the video so many times tonight and I still jump a little each time.

Wasn’t commenting on the riders visibility, meant that the first car would have hidden the cyclist from the 2nd car. If intentionally done by the first motorist they could have been setting up the 2nd one to hit the cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Explain?

You’re right actually. Should have hugged the kerb. There’s plenty of space on that road to accommodate a bike, a car overtakibg it and an oncoming car passing safely. Sure what can go wrong? :rolleyes:

I know you weren't commenting on the visibility. I was just adding that point about the whole video as can't see the behaviour of other drivers from that snippet. I thought the same thing about second car when I first watched it. Pity its so hard to read the licence plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

We don't know who's behind the wheel of any vehicle, or what state they're in -

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bus-driver-was-nine-times-over-limit-and-slumped-over-wheel-37383423.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Rechuchote wrote: »
    We don't know who's behind the wheel of any vehicle, or what state they're in -

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bus-driver-was-nine-times-over-limit-and-slumped-over-wheel-37383423.html

In my time, I arrested two bus drivers for Drunk Driving, one a Bus Eireann driver with about twenty passengers aboard, the other, at about 9.00am, a school bus driver with four children on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,285 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

another Dublin taxi driver who will be made famous , absolute loon , crosses a main road to go after a cyclist

https://twitter.com/ArranBolger/status/1047744273339338752

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Breaks a red light, through a junction, mounts a footpath, down the wrong way, and on and on.

There's no standards at all for Irish taxi drivers, some amount of assholes who think a yellow plate on their roof gives them the same powers of blues and twos.

Direct link here in full screen and HD
    https://streamable.com/amp_player/2i9gy?__twitter_impression=true

Edit, and there's this also, some witness to an assault on a cyclist by another taxi driver.
    https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/status/1047770464255442945

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

he needs jail

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The driver overtook more one car and decided to plough through behind the Nissan Note who was overtaking me (The Nissan was already dangerous given the approaching traffic on the right). Rather than pull in behind me the black golf carried on the overtake despite the oncoming traffic. They are obliged to yield to oncoming traffic when overtaking, to not do so would be anarchy.

My position was not even central to the lane, I was less than 1M from the kerb. Moving a few cm to the left does not make it safe for people to overtake in this circumstance.

I'll be calling traffic watch after lunch.

Sorry to drag this up again. Plenty of other madness on this thread since yesterday morning. I just reported this to traffic watch. They were really lovely on the phone, and completely professional. I'll see what happens in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I see some of the news websites have picked this up and asking permission to use the video in articles.
    Sorry to drag this up again. Plenty of other madness on this thread since yesterday morning. I just reported this to traffic watch. They were really lovely on the phone, and completely professional. I'll see what happens in the coming weeks.

As others have mentioned around here before, any my own experience, you may hear nothing for a long time and think nothing will come of it, and get a phone call from a garda out of the blue one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hurrache wrote: »
    I see some of the news websites have picked this up and asking permission to use the video in articles.

As others have mentioned around here before, any my own experience, you may hear nothing for a long time and think nothing will come of it, and get a phone call from a garda out of the blue one day.

Yes. This isn't my first rodeo, I just thought it was worth mentioning that the people who man the traffic watch line are brilliant. My last experience with this, it was 2 weeks later that I got a call. Having this on video should jog the memory of the driver no matter what happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

silverharp wrote: »
    another Dublin taxi driver who will be made famous , absolute loon , crosses a main road to go after a cyclist

The cyclist should have stopped at the first set of lights.

Mc Love wrote: »

Both cyclist and driver should have. Are you under the impression that the driver is engaged in backseat modding, rather than leaving it to the Gardaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

:eek: What the duck is wrong with people? You know he spent the day bitching to everyone about the cyclist too.

I don't know if it's over-use of cars, but something has made Irish people (by which I mean, in this case, people living in Ireland) crazy with mind-others'-businessness and busybodyness and the inability to walk 10 feet if they can park beside whatever they desperately need, and… just general shrieky crazyness.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    In my time, I arrested two bus drivers for Drunk Driving, one a Bus Eireann driver with about twenty passengers aboard, the other, at about 9.00am, a school bus driver with four children on board.
    A bus driver from my local town driving for BE, used to stop at every stop and run into the pub, for what we thought were toilet breaks. Man probably had some issues so no one thought anything of it. Turns out he was so punctual they had a pint pulled and settled in every pub on the way. He got nine in on each drive. Not sure if he was arrested but he was reported and never seen again. Bus typically had 70 on a 52 seater as it was the Sunday night college run.
    Without the prior though, it really is hard to tell, was he already legging it from the taxi driver? You are of course right but if I thought someone was trying to kill me, I might let my over zealous love of the rules fade away for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

I think the dashcam only captured the tail end of whatever was going on between the two of them. The taxi driver was not slow in following him through that red. That makes me think he had been having a go at him for a while.
    Going by how the cyclist moved to the other side of the road, and then up onto the footpath at the end, to lose the taxi,  I think running the red was an attempt at getting away from the taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

It looks like he did it to get away from the taxi, like he crossed the road afterwards and went onto the footpath for the same reason.

BTW yesterday I caught a driver with headphones on, phone on the dashboard watching a movie. Very reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

juanjo wrote: »
    It looks like he did it to get away from the taxi, like he crossed the road afterwards and went onto the footpath for the same reason.

BTW yesterday I caught a driver with headphones on, phone on the dashboard watching a movie. Very reassuring.

There seems to be a bit more info on that here https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/9l4ixt/taxi_vs_cyclist_take_2/

The dash cam owner said he could hear beeping coming from behind before they both reached his car then the video takes over. Not sure I'd have been as calm as that cyclist was TBH, that's the most frightening thing I've seen in a long time*.

*well since RQ's post earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,285 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

possibly trying to avoid him, if I had a loon behind me I'd keep going too

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

possibly trying to avoid him, if I had a loon behind me I'd keep going too

He was literally trying to kill him. There has to be more to it though. I wouldn't think the footage we saw was the start of it???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement