Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

Thanks for the reddit link, found out there that there is an app called driver check to get the details from taxi, hackney and limo drivers. Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

He was literally trying to kill him. There has to be more to it though.
    I've little doubt there was, and no doubt it warranted the taxi running a red light through the junction, driving down the wrong side of the road, and up onto the foot path to get the cyclistba$tard.

</sarcasm>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Zulu wrote: »
    I've little doubt there was, and no doubt it warranted the taxi running a red light through the junction, driving down the wrong side of the road, and up onto the foot path to get the cyclistba$tard.

</sarcasm>

The cyclist probably had the neck to lightly slap the body of his 2 tonne metal box or something equally murder-worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

CramCycle wrote: »
    Without the prior though, it really is hard to tell, was he already legging it from the taxi driver? You are of course right but if I thought someone was trying to kill me, I might let my over zealous love of the rules fade away for a bit.

That is true, but he would have been putting his life in danger crossing a junction with a red light, I would have probably dismounted and went on the pavement if someone was trying to kill me.
    Rechuchote wrote: »
    Both cyclist and driver should have. Are you under the impression that the driver is engaged in backseat modding, rather than leaving it to the Gardaí?

Yeah but I was expecting better of the taxi driver, I shall know in future
    Steoller wrote: »
    I think the dashcam only captured the tail end of whatever was going on between the two of them. The taxi driver was not slow in following him through that red. That makes me think he had been having a go at him for a while.
    Going by how the cyclist moved to the other side of the road, and then up onto the footpath at the end, to lose the taxi,  I think running the red was an attempt at getting away from the taxi.

But if someone looks at that, they'll throw the book at both of them, taxi driver for dangerous driving, and cyclist for driving without due care and attention, driving on the wrong side of the road, and then mounting a footpath. No-one comes away from this looking good tbh.
    juanjo wrote: »
    BTW yesterday I caught a driver with headphones on, phone on the dashboard watching a movie. Very reassuring.

Was behind a driver yesterday watching a TV show on their dash mounted phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

If someone is trying to hit me with a car not a hope in hell am i dismounting and standing on the path risking an assault.

You're condemning of the cyclists actions is laughable tbh.

If someone came at you with a baseball bat would you wait for the pedestrian crossing to go green before running away?

• Advertisement

VW 1 wrote: »
    If someone is trying to hit me with a car not a hope in hell am i dismounting and standing on the path risking an assault.

You're condemning of the cyclists actions is laughable tbh.

If someone came at you with a baseball bat would you wait for the pedestrian crossing to go green before running away?

Fine dont stand there, but it doesnt look as if he was in a mad dash tbh.

my condemnation is based on the video evidence, the taxi driver doesnt have a leg to stand on either, especially mounting the footpath at the end.

If someone came at me with a baseball bat i'd run around the corner, not run blindly into the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Mc Love wrote: »

my condemnation is based on the video evidence, the taxi driver doesnt have a leg to stand on either, especially mounting the footpath at the end.

If someone came at me with a baseball bat i'd run around the corner, not run blindly into the road.

Was the cyclist blind?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

But if someone looks at that, they'll throw the book at both of them, taxi driver for dangerous driving, and cyclist for driving without due care and attention, driving on the wrong side of the road, and then mounting a footpath. No-one comes away from this looking good tbh.

So from watching that you picked one sanction for the taxi driver and 3 for the cyclist?

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sometimes when your scared you do stupid things. As someone said we don't know what happened before the lights, but it does look like the taxi driver was on a mission to harm the cyclist.

Taxi driver should be off the road for this and more

Felexicon wrote: »
    So from watching that you picked one sanction for the taxi driver and 3 for the cyclist?

Jesus wept.

Get off your high horse, this is the cycling forum is it not? I have pointed out that the taxi driver has committed numerous offences, yet you chose to ignore those posts.

I'm a new to commuting by bike, but I'm able to see all sides of the argument.

Did the driver act appropriately? No.
    Did the cyclist act appropriately? No.
    Do we know the whole backstory? No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Did the cyclist act appropriately? No.

When being chased by a ****ing headcase in the car, I find no issue at all with what the cyclist did.

You suggest dismounting and getting onto the footpath. Did you miss the bit in the video in which the taxi driver mounted the footpath and tried to chase after the cyclist?

Get off your high horse, this is the cycling forum is it not? I have pointed out that the taxi driver has committed numerous offences, yet you chose to ignore those posts.

I'm a new to commuting by bike, but I'm able to see all sides of the argument.

Did the cyclist act appropriately? No. I have no idea as I have never had a car deliberately trying to knock me down. I assume I would adopt the "stay alive" mentality.

Are you using this as some kind of qualifying mark for why you're point should be taken more seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

No way would I get off my bike, that's just an open invitation for someone to take a baseball bat to you, keep going and find a route he cant follow you. the cyclist was spot on

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Are you using this as some kind of qualifying mark for why you're point should be taken more seriously?

By cycling slowly? Come off it. Didn't look like he was in a mad rush to get away from the taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

By cycling slowly? Come off it. Didn't look like he was in a mad rush to get away from the taxi.

How the hell do you know how big of a rush he was in? You have no idea how long the taxi was chasing him or how tired he was at that point. Also, he probably wasn't expecting the taxi to follow him through the lights.

How the hell do you know how big of a rush he was in? You have no idea how long the taxi was chasing him or how tired he was at that point. Also, he probably wasn't expecting the taxi to follow him through the lights.

Neither do any of us.

Jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Neither do any of us.

Jesus wept

But yet you continue to criticise a cyclist being chased by a car who is willing to drive the wrong way towards junctions and mount footpaths with pedestrians walking on them.

Hurrache wrote: »
    But yet you continue to criticise a cyclist being chased by a car who is willing to drive the wrong way towards junctions and mount footpaths with pedestrians walking on them.

I criticised both participants. Both of them are in the wrong, there's no right person in the video.

I criticised both participants. Both of them are in the wrong, there's no right person in the video.

Ah there is to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

If an axe wielding maniac ever breaks into your house in the middle of the night I hope you're prosecuted for disturbing the peace with your screams. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that, you'd both be in the wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Very silly comment in my opinion. What did the cyclist do that you can see in the video. Nothing except try avoid the lunatic taxi driver hitting him.
    Taxi driver is completely in the wrong. If someone does something wrong on the road you beep them to tell them they're an idiot and you keep driving. You don't try and kill them.

Ah there is to be fair.

Yep the person with the dash cam

Very silly comment in my opinion. What did the cyclist do that you can see in the video. Nothing except try avoid the lunatic taxi driver hitting him.
    Taxi driver is completely in the wrong. If someone does something wrong on the road you beep them to tell them they're an idiot and you keep driving. You don't try and kill them.

You cant see anything the cyclist did wrong in the video? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Neither do any of us.

Jesus wept

2 points here..

1- there is no 'jesus'

2-even if a cyclist punched me through the car window I still wouldn't drive across a main street to try run him over and proceed to a footpath where pedestrians are.

I would, however, as a cyclist, absolutely anhialate any clown in a car that tried a stunt like that on me or another cyclist on the road ahead of me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The cyclist should have stopped at the first set of lights.

Maybe ihe was being chased for a while by the taxi. Look at the video. Would you hang around with a psycho like that after you?

Went through a red light. To get away from the taxi. Nothing wrong with that.
    Then switched sides of the road, again to get away from him.
    He was never going to injure anyone on his bike, but the taxi could have. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Mc Love, stop digging. What you are attempting to do is so pathetically stoopid it's beyond farcical.

You're wrong. Everyone knows you're wrong. Deep down, you know you're wrong.

Zulu wrote: »
    Mc Love, stop digging. What you are attempting to do is so pathetically stoopid it's beyond farcical.
    You're wrong. Everyone knows you're wrong. Deep down, you know you're wrong.

Let me spell it out for you:
    No-one on this thread knows what happened before they showed up on the cam.

What we do know:
    Cyclist followed by insane taxi driver break the red light (both in the wrong in the eyes of the law), taxi driver encroaches on the cyclist in the cycle lane (taxi driver displaying dangerous driving), cyclist drives on the other side of the road (luckily no oncoming traffic & wrong in the eyes of the law), insane possibly drunk taxi driver crosses to the other side of the road to cause harm to the cyclist (wrong in the eyes of the law), cyclist mounts pavement (also wrong in the eyes of the law) followed by the insane taxi driver who also mounts the pavement (wrong in the eyes of the law)

The fact of the matter is we dont know what happened between the two prior to the video, but what we do know is that both broke the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

False equivalence summed up in one post right there...

• Advertisement

Let me spell it out for you:
    No-one on this thread knows what happened before they showed up on the cam.

What we do know:
    Cyclist followed by insane taxi driver break the red light (both in the wrong in the eyes of the law), taxi driver encroaches on the cyclist in the cycle lane (taxi driver displaying dangerous driving), cyclist drives on the other side of the road (luckily no oncoming traffic & wrong in the eyes of the law), insane possibly drunk taxi driver crosses to the other side of the road to cause harm to the cyclist (wrong in the eyes of the law), cyclist mounts pavement (also wrong in the eyes of the law) followed by the insane taxi driver who also mounts the pavement (wrong in the eyes of the law)

The fact of the matter is we dont know what happened between the two prior to the video, but what we do know is that both broke the law.

Yes, wrong in the eyes of the law. But do you think any court would turn around to the cyclist and say what you done was wrong, you should never have crossed to the wrong side of the road to try and get away from this mad man over here. What were you thinking?
    What the cyclist done was perfectly fine. If someone was chasing you down the road trying to rob you, you aren't going to stop at the pedestrian crossing, hit the button and wait for the little green man are you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement