Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

It's impossible to know, but I'm intrigued at how the cyclist would have broken the driver-side mirror? That area of town is short on one-way streets etc where it could have happened. Even right turns are at a premium? I'm just struggling to see how the cyclist would have ended up in that position.

If the cyclist did damage something, the passenger side mirror is so much more "accessible".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

His taxi licence should be revoked immediately on foot of that video, followed by his driving licence and a stint in prison after an appearance in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

His taxi licence should be revoked immediately on foot of that video, followed by his driving licence and a stint in prison after an appearance in court.

Ah but he was having a bad day yer honour, He needs his licence to make a living yer honour, Not condoning but he was provoked yer honour etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Duckjob wrote: »
    Ah but he was having a bad day yer honour, He needs his licence to make a living yer honour, Not condoning but he was provoked yer honour etc etc

Tough luck. Could have killed or injured someone.
    Go do an anger management course and then look at giving his licence back.
    Surely they cannot take the chance of letting him back out on the road after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Duckjob wrote: »

and the 'Do Gooders' and the 'Always Outraged' activists would make a case of his nationality if he was summonsed and received any jail time ..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

crisco10 wrote: »
    It's impossible to know, but I'm intrigued at how the cyclist would have broken the driver-side mirror? That area of town is short on one-way streets etc where it could have happened. Even right turns are at a premium? I'm just struggling to see how the cyclist would have ended up in that position.

That's the junction of Belvedere Place and the NCR. To get onto BP and be facing that direction, you must come from Mountjoy Square Nth. If you were leaving town and heading that direction, there is a split in the traffic for those heading left down BP and right, down Fitzgibbon St.

I've often been on the bike in between two lines of traffic heading in both directions, plenty of driver's side mirrors accessible.

Here is where I'm talking about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think video was from 3rd October but here's another taxi driver story...
    https://www.facebook.com/cyclist.ie/posts/1876428559100591

screenshot of post attached for anyone not on FB

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think video was from 3rd October but here's another taxi driver story...
    https://www.facebook.com/cyclist.ie/posts/1876428559100591

screenshot of post attached for anyone not on FB

I would've been going down Clonliffe road around that time myself. Must have a look at the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Dublin north quays this morning. Taxi man was't just going to accept me indicating and moving in front of him to get to the left side of the road where the bike lane is - it was previously blocked by buses. He just kept nudging ahead despite me indicating. All in a 24/7 shared bike / bus lane at the Millennium Bridge. He managed to make contact with my bike from behind at low speed. Going to bring the footage to Pearse Street Gardai - I'm just across the way from them.

5zOP6RZ.png
    Video: https://streamable.com/2i9gy

DoptIv9W0AA0u9i.jpg
    On the 1st of October at around 17:30 a male cyclist, greyish hair, was close-passed and assaulted by a taxi driver (his details are below) on or around Clonliffe Road. There is a witness trying to get in touch with this cyclist to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

How professional who are? Who's the quote from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Holy sh*t.

Two nasty incidents above, particularly the ****** hopping out of the white taxi threatening to knock the cyclist's head off.

That is absolute madness. I hope both get put behind bars because that is the only place they belong.
    I got knocked off my bike by a delivery van about 4 years ago now, got pushed straight in to a bus stop pole. 2 broken fingers and a broken rib. There taxi drivers think they are being funny and just warning people, but in fact they can cause serious damage.
    Idiots!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

ED E wrote: »
    43114715_2135375766475372_5603441727110119424_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&oh=ab287aa8fbb2921021b505f5089e9462&oe=5C5CBD39

Ah that explains it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how does that explain it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

how does that explain it?

Well he broke the drivers wing mirror, this explains why he tried to kill him. The taxi driver clearly believes this was a reasonable response.

I presume Conny was being too sarcastic for some.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well he broke the drivers wing mirror, this explains why he tried to kill him. The taxi driver clearly believes this was a reasonable response.

I presume Conny was being too sarcastic for some.

Perfectly valid reason to try and murder the lad.

Perfectly valid reason to try and murder the lad.

A reasonable response NSFW

Reading between the lines of the article:

Felix dives left to drop passenger
    Cycle then passes on the right - presumably - cut off, whacks mirror in frustration
    Felix begins his charge of the light brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Cycle then passes on the right - presumably - cut off, whacks mirror in frustration

In the video, the driver mirror looks fine,
    (actually looks pushed forward)
    463061.JPG

and the passenger side one looks bent towards the car....
    (or maybe that's it's normal position)

463062.JPG
    in the photo in the paper is the driver side mirror cover missing
    463063.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

papu wrote: »
    In the video, the driver mirror looks fine
    It looks pushed forward to me, though we can't see if the housing is missing/damaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

my guess is possibly pushed mirror forward to annoy driver, I doubt it would be that easy to tear a cover off with your bare hands while perched on a bike and the driver right there.

Driver goes mental, cops on the gardai are going to be onto him as he is easily identifiable. Goes home and breaks the mirror off thinking its a reasonable excuse.

Other witnesses would have seen it. Wonder if he will put a claim in for it, could be up for insurance fraud too!

I know brands are different but the two times I have replaced those covers, they were not easy to pop off and required a bit of squeezing and tugging (on a Saab and a Toyota). I imagine you would have bent the mirror back/forward before popping it off if it was a random angry strike. Not sure of his taxi but some are made only to bend one way, towards the driver, that would have been believable that they bent it the wrong way and damaged the hanger but while not impossible, I find it hard to believe what is seen there is what damage was done. This said the damage I am describing is more costly to repair than the damage the driver is showing but less dramatic to look at.

This ^

Took me some effort to get one off a Golf once. So I'd imagine what ever knock allegedly did that would have done a bit more than just damage the cover.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think the driver was completely overreacting: It's not as if any taxi driver actually uses their mirrors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I think the driver was completely overreacting: It's not as if any taxi driver actually uses their mirrors!

:D

Wasn't there a video clip a few months back showing an enraged woman hopping off her bike and smashing the mirror of a driver - which later turned out to have been made by a TV crew and to be totally fake, after cyclists demonstrated that she'd have needed to be Bionic Woman to do this with her bare hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Interesting it is reported that the incident happened in July- I wonder when Mr Taxi man said it happened?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Chiparus wrote: »
    Interesting it is reported that the incident happened in July- I wonder when Mr Taxi man said it happened?

I think the timestamp on the dashcam is just incorrect. The post on reddit states it happened on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It looked very quiet for a Wednesday at this time of year.

Article reports Wednesday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

Had my handlebars clipped by the wing mirror of a passing car on Church street on Wednesday night. I was in the cycle lane but Church street is one of those brilliant ones where it alternates between being 2 lanes and 1.5ish lanes, and I guess the driver was in a hurry to be somewhere. I wasn't wearing a helmet (was on a Dublin bike... don't hate me) but fortunately it was only a slight clip so it didn't knock me off. Unsettling though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement