Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If that was the case then you would think Matthews or at least their insurance company would look for better driver standards?

As is always the case, it will be when a claim is made that they will start looking harder.
    I won't give my view on Matthews as it would be libelous but alot of co workers use them and they provide a service that is needed, but if half of the things that I hear are true, they need alot of work at all levels.

Used them a bit over the years, their drivers don't seem aware of speed limits for buses on motorways and like CramCycle I could say far worse about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

TooObvious wrote: »
    As already alluded elsewhere on this thread there's no such thing as jaywalking in Ireland..
    Not sure what you read, I would like to see the quote. We certainly do have "jaywalking" type laws here.

Whenever I bring it up 50% of the time it is questioned as to whether they exist. I am not surprised you are completely ignorant about it, not just unaware but confident enough to be certain there is none. It is hugely tolerated by other road users and the gardai. I only know of 1 person who was done for it, and even then I am not sure if he was done under that specific law.

MOST AGREE WITH FINES FOR JAYWALKERS

I think we really need safe cross code adverts again. I have never seen it as bad in my life, mindless phone gazing morons strutting out onto the road like it is their god given right. And many probably do think it is they are legally in the right. Some amongst the same type of cnut who would describe a cyclist as "mad" for not wearing a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

TooObvious wrote: »
    As already alluded elsewhere on this thread there's no such thing as jaywalking in Ireland. The pedestrian is at the top of the pecking order when it comes to vulnerable road users and the cyclist should have been able to stop on time - or if not then take the blame.

Well all it what you will.
    Pedestrians are prohibited from crossing a road within 15 metres of a pedestrian crossing, without using the crossing.

benjamin d wrote: »
    Playing devil's advocate here it was probably a good idea to wait until everyone was sure that any damage or injuries are sorted or info shared, however I'm sure the braying mob saw a bike and immediately decided Hitler himself was on a murderous rampage through town on his two wheeled death machine. Presumably while the good citizen drivers blissfully parked arseways and ignored every traffic light on the street - the rules of the road are strictly optional for vehicles on Camden Street.

Ya I’m kind of undecided on I myself to be honest.

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    the 'mob' was right to stop him if they were unsure if the pedestrian was injured.
    look at it from the opposite way, if a pedestrian knocked a cyclist off their bike would it be ok for the pedestrian to walk away? You'd hope others present would stop them too

Agreed but he did stop. He did lift him. He asked him was he ok.
    He said are you sure ? Your man said ya I think so.
    Then bike dude went to leave. Then dude freaked out and mob formed.
    He didn’t just leg it ..

CramCycle wrote: »
    Another devils advocate, you didn't see it so we will never be sure but if it happened the way you describe, my opinion would be that the cyclist is at least partially responsible. There is a reason other than dooring why you do not cycle close to parked cars or buses and this would be the reason. I say this knowing full well that alot of cyclists do this because that is where the cycle lane puts you. If I am overtaking a truck, lorry, bus that has pulled in or is parked, I give much more room on the way by as I don't know who might come out from behind it. Much the same way as you are not allowed overtake pulled in buses in other parts of the world.

So I saw the pedestrian on the ground and the dude lifting him in to te ground.
    Yours is a good nuanced point but in this instance there was lunited space because you have parked vehicles in the bus lane but also traffic beside that so the space between the two is limited .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

rubadub wrote: »
    motorist's lobby organisation publishes motorist friendly poll shocker.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Budawanny wrote: »
    So I saw the pedestrian on the ground and the dude lifting him in to te ground.
    Yours is a good nuanced point but in this instance there was lunited space because you have parked vehicles in the bus lane but also traffic beside that so the space between the two is limited .

I know what you mean, and I understand how cyclists end up there. I am just saying what I would do. I'd pull out into the main traffic lane and hold it if I couldn't see over or around the parked vehicles. Regrettably design and bullying by others mean that alot of cyclists build poor habits they don't even realise are poor.

To make it a simpler view, imagine the parked bus/truck is a building with no windows. Would you cycle at your normal speed hugging the wall as you reached the corner or would you pull out from the wall to give anyone coming from the other side in the same situation as you a chance, be they walking or cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

CramCycle wrote: »
    I know what you mean, and I understand how cyclists end up there. I am just saying what I would do. I'd pull out into the main traffic lane and hold it if I couldn't see over or around the parked vehicles. Regrettably design and bullying by others mean that alot of cyclists build poor habits they don't even realise are poor.

To make it a simpler view, imagine the parked bus/truck is a building with no windows. Would you cycle at your normal speed hugging the wall as you reached the corner or would you pull out from the wall to give anyone coming from the other side in the same situation as you a chance, be they walking or cycling.

People walk out from behind vans and buses and trucks, though.

I'm constantly passed by cars really gunning it because I'm "taking the lane". What's their hurry? Is there a monster chasing all the drivers of Ireland? They're only rushing to the next crossroads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rechuchote wrote: »
    They're only rushing to the next crossroads!
    Or more specifically, to the back of the next queue of cars at the next crossroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Had a guy pass so close on the way up Dundrum hill this morning that I felt the wing mirror brush my leg hair. Gave him the universal "WTF" hand signals and at the next lights found him stopped at an angle in the lane several seconds after the rest of the traffic had pulled away.

Thought he was stopping to "have a chat", but then he pulled away as I approached, and proceeded to keep drifting leftwards in the road while driving slowly, even hitting the kerb at one point.

So, probably drunk rather than trying to wind me up. Unfortunately by that stage there was another vehicle behind him so I couldn't get the reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

seamus wrote: »
    Had a guy pass so close on the way up Dundrum hill this morning that I felt the wing mirror brush my leg hair. Gave him the universal "WTF" hand signals and at the next lights found him stopped at an angle in the lane several seconds after the rest of the traffic had pulled away.

Thought he was stopping to "have a chat", but then he pulled away as I approached, and proceeded to keep drifting leftwards in the road while driving slowly, even hitting the kerb at one point.

So, probably drunk rather than trying to wind me up. Unfortunately by that stage there was another vehicle behind him so I couldn't get the reg.

That's not very reassuring :eek:

I'd say we'd terrified how many drivers on the morning commute are still banjoed from the night before. Especially Monday mornings. There's no way you can go out drinking the night before, get home at 1am, get up for work at 7, and be sober enough to drive.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

seamus wrote: »
    I felt the wing mirror brush my leg hair.
    Was he in a low sports car or are you on something like a Penny Farthing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I'm in work atm but you're right, schoolboy error on my part :o

Will post as soon as i figure it out.

Never figured how to post that video from your made up story? Lol

It was certainly an older car, the roof was around shoulder height.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Was he in a low sports car or are you on something like a Penny Farthing?
    my road bike saddle is about the same height as my car mirror. car is an octavia, and i'm not madly tall. given i'd be sitting *on* my saddle, my hip would probably be slightly higher than the wing mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Rechuchote wrote: »
    ...I'm constantly passed by cars really gunning it because I'm "taking the lane". What's their hurry? Is there a monster chasing all the drivers of Ireland? They're only rushing to the next crossroads!
    Yesterday, a motorist behind me leaned on her horn while I was going around a blind bend. A few seconds later, she was stopped at traffic lights. Rolled up and asked her what the problem was (Indian lady in traditional sari etc).
    "You were in the vay".
    I pointed out that it was a blind bend with a continuous white line but she was having none of it.
    "When you hear a car you must get out of the vay".

There's no reasoning with some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Yesterday, a motorist behind me leaned on her horn while I was going around a blind bend. A few seconds later, she was stopped at traffic lights. Rolled up and asked her what the problem was (Indian lady in traditional sari etc).
    "You were in the vay".
    I pointed out that it was a blind bend with a continuous white line but she was having none of it.
    "When you hear a car you must get out of the vay".

There's no reasoning with some people.

Should’ve told her you couldn’t hear the car over the horn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Cycling through Sandymount this morning while overtaking another cyclist he decided he didn’t have to signal turning right. Thankfully I had a bit of acceleration built up. Luckily I wasn’t an electric car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Startled a woman walking on the Bayside section of the Dublin Bay cycle path today. We were both heading towards Howth, I was in the middle of the cycle lane avoiding the stuff growing at the wall and she was to the right of the white line. It was quiet so I had a good long view of her as I approached from behind, she wasn't drifting left and there were no gaps in the wall for her to go through.

At the exact moment I reached her it seemed like she turned 90° left and stepped into the cycle lane. I didn't have time to react either consciously or subconsciously and held my line, but she felt really close. I think she made a startled noise, and as I looked back she was looking after me holding her chest (in a startled way, not a heart attack way :p). Still can't fathom her sudden change in direction, she didn't look like the wall hopping type.

Bloody cyclists, buzzing pedestrians!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

I've taken to freewheeling as I approach pedestrians and my loud freewheel is enough most times to alert people to my presence. I think the onus is on us to make people aware that we are coming up behind and to expect sudden movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

hesker wrote: »
    I've taken to freewheeling as I approach pedestrians and my loud freewheel is enough most times to alert people to my presence. I think the onus is on us to make people aware that we are coming up behind and to expect sudden movements.

How hard is it to walk in a straight line? I hate the ones that swerve along straddling the dividing line between the bike/walk lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mloc123 wrote: »
    How hard is it to walk in a straight line?....
    I hope you don't spot me walking home from the pub! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

mloc123 wrote: »
    How hard is it to walk in a straight line? I hate the ones that swerve along straddling the dividing line between the bike/walk lane.

Yes it annoys me too but you have to realise people can be lost in thoughts and not 100% focussed on where they are all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

hesker wrote:
    Yes it annoys me too but you have to realise people can be lost in thoughts and not 100% focussed on where they are all the time.

Don't forget the dopey teens with their earphones in gawking at their smartphones stepping off footpaths without looking ..................

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

amcalester wrote: »
    Should’ve told her you couldn’t hear the car over the horn.

Should have just stopped in the middle of the bend and stared her down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

rushfan wrote: »
    Don't forget the dopey teens with their earphones in gawking at their smartphones stepping off footpaths without looking ..................

I see more dopes not in their teens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Poor driver behaviour is normalised. Cyclists are at fault for everything.

Was at a wedding at the weekend and talking to a truck driver (shudder...I know). Of course, when I mentioned being a cyclist...he said 'break red lights'
    So, I went through a big list of what motorists do...break red lights, illegal left turns/right turns/u-turns, park anywhere lights, park on footpaths, drive in bus lanes, drive up right turn lanes when they want to turn left to skip the big line of traffic turning left then squeeze back in up the top thus blocking both the right and left lanes, motorway driving..., park in disabled spots, park on double yellows, block junctions, stop on yellow boxes, roundabouts, squeeze through an already blocked junction when their light goes amber even though it is clear they won't get through and block the traffic whose light has just gone green, go through ped crossings, stop on ped crossings, drive up one way streets, reverse up one way streets, straddle two lanes because they're incapable of driving in a straight line, brake hard on bends, drive on wrong side of road, speed, on the phone while driving, texting while driving, facebook while driving, watching movies while driving, putting on makeup while driving, eating bowls of cereal while driving...

I mentioned most of these (got a bit carried away typing them out there and added more though), think he was gobsmacked :D but you could almost see realisation wash across his face.

...but some cyclists break red lights sometimes. The devils.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement