Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I had a nice little feel good moment this evening!

Funny you should say that, I was coming northbound out of Ashford the other morning and in the distance I saw a little lad (about 10) cycling in the opposite direction on a BMX type bike - bear in mind these are relatively rural roads with only a hard shoulder. Anyway, towards me he comes and next thing I got the 'cyclists wave'. Naturally it was reciprocated and off I went with a stupid grin on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭De Bhál

That was a country wave. Everyone waves at one another whether you know them or not.
    I'm a culchie myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Anyway, towards me he comes and next thing I got the 'cyclists wave'.
    Been doling out 'cyclist nods' liberally to people I spot regularly enough on my commute on semi-backroads style roads. Have I got any responses? Not so much as a snot sent in my direction, ever! C'mon people! I'm only the same oddbod that nodded yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

check_six wrote: »
    Been doling out 'cyclist nods' liberally to people I spot regularly enough on my commute on semi-backroads style roads. Have I got any responses? Not so much as a snot sent in my direction, ever! C'mon people! I'm only the same oddbod that nodded yesterday!
    Try the raised forefinger of the right hand. Now it must be raised quickly, as in a sudden jerk, and then allowed to fall slowly.

For the record, I've gone out in club gear and have met other club mates in club gear and failed to get a response from my nod/wave/raised finger. I can understand when someone had their head down and lost in the effort but some have looked over and stared at me as if I've 3 heads. It takes all sorts I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Had an Audi dive in beside me this morning leaving only a few cm on Portland Row just before the Five Lamps. It's kinda tight there as is but there was no need for him to charge in and get as close to me as he did, light were green so I kept going but said to myself if I get the chance I'll have a chat with him. Lights were red at Seville Place so hung back for him. Was actually a really nice conversation, I pointed out that he nearly hit me and if he could be a bit more careful with how he uses his car as we're all road users trying to get somewhere. He was very apologetic but to be honest, I don't think he even knew what had happened. Some days I'm convinced we all wear invisibility cloaks!

Edit: Also, got chased by a massive dog this morning near Peamount Hospital was dark still and so was the dog so didn't even see it. Personally very scary for me as I was attacked by a dog 2 years ago and have some pretty bad scarring on my face as a result. Can see on strava that my heart rate took a massive leap as well. Didn't chase me too far but still left me pretty shook. If that happens again might have to look at adjusting my route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I commute on the N11 so not rural but old habits and all that, I often wave and nod at people I see regularly enough. Often get a nod or wave back. It's completely pointless but I oddly feel a bit better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Edit: Also, got chased by a massive dog this morning near Peamount Hospital was dark still and so was the dog so didn't even see it. Personally very scary for me as I was attacked by a dog 2 years ago and have some pretty bad scarring on my face as a result. Can see on strava that my heart rate took a massive leap as well. Didn't chase me too far but still left me pretty shook. If that happens again might have to look at adjusting my route.

Not a million miles away, but back when Saggart was a quite country village there was a house at the bottom of the hill up to Slade Valley with a bunch of dogs living there. When we went by we'd try to be quiet as we knew we'd get chased, I think more so out of fun rather than viciousness as there would be few people around and the dogs were all excited to see someone. But there was this one guy who would always hesitate, sometimes even stop, while the rest of us booted on through while he was their distraction.

Not making light of your experiences, just something your story and the location reminded me of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

I think I know the house you're talking about!

Was a near miss of sorts, for me at least, and the last thing I was expecting a 7am! The dog (a mastiff I think) blended in to the dark so the first thing I knew about it was it growling beside me. Scared the sh!t out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

CramCycle wrote: »
    I commute on the N11 so not rural but old habits and all that, I often wave and nod at people I see regularly enough. Often get a nod or wave back. It's completely pointless but I oddly feel a bit better for it.

There's a bit of a blind bend on my commute and instances like this morning with the fog, i've a better view than the car behind, so I normally wave them through and get the odd flash of the hazards. Its nice to be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Edit: Also, got chased by a massive dog this morning near Peamount Hospital was dark still and so was the dog so didn't even see it.

He should’ve been wearing hi-vis!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    He should’ve been wearing hi-vis!

Might need to put a helmet on the dog too. In case a lorry or bus flattens him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mc Love wrote: »
    There's a bit of a blind bend on my commute and instances like this morning with the fog, i've a better view than the car behind, so I normally wave them through and get the odd flash of the hazards. Its nice to be nice
    I'd never do that. It's known as 'misplaced courtesy' and frowned upon by motoring organisations etc. Much safer to let the motorist behind make their own decision regarding any manoeuvre. (It used to be an automatic failure in a driving test. Not sure if it still is under the new system).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

video isn't mine, saw it on shared on facebook.
    it's of a motorist driving contraflow on a cycle lane in the phoenix park and nearly hitting the cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd never do that. It's known as 'misplaced courtesy' and frowned upon by motoring organisations etc. Much safer to let the motorist behind make their own decision regarding any manoeuvre. (It used to be an automatic failure in a driving test. Not sure if it still is under the new system).
    I sometimes do it if I'm on my own, if the driver is hanging back/ being respectful. Would never do it if I was back of a group, which I have seen (not in my current club I may add!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

it's of a motorist driving contraflow on a cycle lane in the phoenix park and nearly hitting the cyclist.

Bloody cyclists on the wrong side of the road :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, holy f**k that's nuts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I sometimes do it, or more often put a hand out to signal them to slow down or stop as a car is coming. It's at least once prevented what might have been a very serious accident and the driver look a bit shook and appreciative.

That park one is shocking. It's not remotely possible to think that it's anything other than 1 way anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I've seen cyclists look angry when I stay behind them after them waving me on around bad bends, I'm quite happy to stay till I can see for myself

It's totally up to the motorist/cyclist behind you, I get that. I'd rather wait myself but once passed I'd acknowledge it!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ganmo wrote: »
    I've seen cyclists look angry when I stay behind them after them waving me on around bad bends, I'm quite happy to stay till I can see for myself

The only time our club would be annoyed is if the car waiting to pass sits RIGHT on our tail with no hope of stopping if something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Crazy. What's the odds the driver does the same route the same way every evening?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Crazy. What's the odds the driver does the same route the same way every evening?

Unlikely as all there are beyond there in the park is 2-3 car parks and dead ends. I'd say they turned into the park from chapilizod road, or they were parked somewhere along military road doing whatever. There's no trough access for cars, and anyone driving would find it pointless to come into the park in the first place to do it as it would be slower

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Morning commute. In the bus lane at Roselawn, Castleknock. Driver passes me in the regular traffic lane, then left hooks me to join the 20 or so other lemmings in the bus lane. Ah well. Here’s hoping those 4 or 5 seconds left hooking me made some difference to his time in grid locked Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Cycling through Howth village on a weekend... one could say, "I should've known better...", and a fool steps out from behind a parked van into the street in front of me - wearing a very large backpack - and I narrowly missed her (while yelling, "OH ****!").

The Cycliq Fly12, which was on "clearance" at chainreaction, has just arrived. I already run a Fly6, and this is welcome additional protection. I've now ordered additional mounts for the mtb and all my "n+1" bikes in the shed.

Not necessarily a near miss, but could have been a disaster for someone. There was a lad driving one of these forklifts down the canal this morning with an unsecured load of scaffolding boards, which had spilled into the road. This was at about 7.45 so plenty of cyclists around.

A guy wearing a 'traffic management' high vis vest was out stopping cyclists and reloading it. He was suprised when I suggested he throw a strap around the boards before they hit someone.

I was down in Limerick for work a few weeks ago. There seems to be zero cycling infrastructure there.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Cycling in at 6:30 am, a 181 T (didn't get the rest of the reg) sees my light in his mirror and swerves in towards the left to cut me off at the lights.

He slows down and then indicates and swerves left so I have to brake, twice.

White short-wheelbase low white Transit.

Tried to go after him to get the rest of his reg and report him but couldn't catch up with him - not amused.

I was down in Limerick for work a few weeks ago. There seems to be zero cycling infrastructure there.

There is very very little Ray! And severly disjointed/unconnected where there is some!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

Cycling along the road towards the Grand Canal Greenway this morning. Couple of caravans parked on the path / cycle lane. Notice one door being held open out onto the road. It's a quiet road - a cul-de-sac. Just a little too dark for me to notice the stream of p*ss from out the door onto the road before it was too late. The f**ker squeezed harder as I was passing. Perhaps the only time I'll find myself wishing for rain on my way in. :P

• Advertisement

coward wrote: »
    Cycling along the road towards the Grand Canal Greenway this morning. Couple of caravans parked on the path / cycle lane. Notice one door being held open out onto the road. It's a quiet road - a cul-de-sac. Just a little too dark for me to notice the stream of p*ss from out the door onto the road before it was too late. The f**ker squeezed harder as I was passing. Perhaps the only time I'll find myself wishing for rain on my way in. :P

FFS, the last thing anyone is expecting in the fcuking morning is a golden shower.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement