Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

coward wrote: »
    Cycling along the road towards the Grand Canal Greenway this morning. Couple of caravans parked on the path / cycle lane. Notice one door being held open out onto the road. It's a quiet road - a cul-de-sac. Just a little too dark for me to notice the stream of p*ss from out the door onto the road before it was too late. The f**ker squeezed harder as I was passing. Perhaps the only time I'll find myself wishing for rain on my way in. :P

LOLOL that sounds like a scene from a Neil Jordan movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

One could call it a 'near-piss.'

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

been relatively drama free for the past while.

actually thought i was going to die this morning when i felt this car cutting in.
    anyone familiar with the road will know the way cars take this bend and i thought they were going around with me.

apologies to the parents whos kids had to hear my shouting :(

i had indicated left, took a few feet of the lane to give myself some room to avoid the kerb and this is **** takes that as a cue to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm sure some will have seen this already, but this could come in handy
    http://irishcycle.com/2018/10/21/how-to-request-cctv-from-dublin-bus-using-gdpr/

The author is taking part in a discussion on it here
    https://twitter.com/IrishCycle/status/1053996425011453953

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

coward wrote: »
    Just a little too dark for me to notice the stream of p*ss from out the door onto the road before it was too late.
    Between this and the dog shite story -forget the high viz & helmets, you need to be wearing biohazard suits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭downtheroad

This evening and last week I've had near misses at the junction of Collins Avenue and Howth Road. Both times I've been in the cycle lane with helmet, hi vis jacket and plenty of flashing lights. Last week it was a driver rushing to get into a gap and turn right inbound, this evening it was somebody turning left who had to have seen my bright flashing front light but thought they'd pull halfway out and then stop while looking at me open mouthed. Had a similar incident in North Strand outbound this evening too.

Lack of awareness or lack of care by the drivers I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

This evening and last week I've had near misses at the junction of Collins Avenue and Howth Road. Both times I've been in the cycle lane with helmet, hi vis jacket and plenty of flashing lights. Last week it was a driver rushing to get into a gap and turn right inbound, this evening it was somebody turning left who had to have seen my bright flashing front light but thought they'd pull halfway out and then stop while looking at me open mouthed. Had a similar incident in North Strand outbound this evening too.

Lack of awareness or lack of care by the drivers I wonder.

I find that drivers become suddenly as courteous as an 18th-century beau - "No, you first… no, you first…" when I wear an obvious camera on my helmet…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Close pass by a car in the bus lane from my commute yesterday, all to skip a few cars in traffic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a poor design there, there's a narrow enough bus lane, and a bike lane painted in it, rather than it being a bike lane plus bus lane.

i don't know why they bother painting bike lane lines in that scenario, the bus lane is a de facto bike lane anyway. and it's not as if a bus (or taxi or car) can pass a cyclist without leaving the lane. unless they're doing it dangerously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

If anything I find that this gives cars etc. carte blanche to close pass once they don't cross the dotted line, even though the 'cycle lane' is only ~1m wide and we cycle in the middle of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Ferris wrote: »

Close pass by a car in the bus lane from my commute yesterday, all to skip a few cars in traffic.
    Report that. Misusing a bus lane. Undertaking. Proceeding straight through a junction in the left filter lane. Possibly speeding, too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Ferris wrote: »

That used to be part of my commute. Close passes at speed (usually by large black executive saloons) are common there. I ignore the cycle lane and cycle way out in the bus lane, it solved the problem for me. You get the odd horn but that means they see you and can't close pass you, always good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a certain irony about that being published by a facebook page dedicated to warning drivers about garda checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

No indicator visible on the truck at all, how was the car in the left turn lane expected to know where the truck was going? I hate that junction and that whole road, there's always cars parked on the bend opposite the unbroken white line on Marrowbone lane. No to mention delivery trucks double parked in the bus lane outside Centra with their hazard lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

No hi vis on the car, cant really blame the truck for not seeing him there all in black on a grey morning.

Hopefully he was wearing a helmet and will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Just read a journal article there about the trial of a dublin bus driver who killed a cyclist on Burlington road by not seeing here while turning the corner because "he could not have seen her" due to a broken road light. Despite her wearing a hi-viz (:rolleyes:) and having front and rear lights. He also cut the corner and didnt stop for 2 metres after he first hit her.

Even the language in the article is disgusting, talking about a collision between two vehicles, not a bus weighing several tonnes hitting 15kg of metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Encountered all sorts of gobsh!tes this morning, had a ped step out in front of me (onto the cycle track) only missed them by mm's, braking heavy and trying to get their attention (totally oblivious to me existence). Nearly lost the bike under heavy braking after a car pulled out in front of me coming down hill at the Mater, could feel the bike fishtailing under me.

Then I rear ended a fellow cyclist who didn't understand the concept of green lights meaning go! Taking off from the lights, initially he took off but then jammed on to a stop for no apparent reason, whilst I was signalling a left hand turn, I hit him and got tangled up in his bike and was almost rear ended by the cyclist behind me, was all very sudden. Very low speed so no damage done but it's hard to stop suddenly when you've only one hand on the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

If this had been a cyclist, they would be dead now.

If that had been a cyclist, they would've made the turn, gone about their business and might never know that the truck turned left too!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

'68 wrote:
    If that had been a cyclist, they would've made the turn, gone about their business and might never know that the truck turned left too!

A lot of cyclists would have been going straight ahead at that position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

If I was the driver in that car i would have filled my trousers.

Thankfully on my commuting route, i don't have to deal with any type of HGV's usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

A lot of cyclists would have been going straight ahead at that position.

Yeah, but AndrewJRenko said that if the car that was turning left was a cyclist, then that cyclist would be dead. I think that a cyclist would've been alot quicker off the mark and would've been long gone before the truck began to turn. Because bikes are better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If a truck has to go to the outside lane to turn a left hand turn then they shouldn't be doing it without a co driver to get out and stop traffic/cyclist/peds.

The streets around town are just not suitable for a artic truck.

The only way again that is ever safe for a truck is for someone to get out. Otherwise it's all blind guessing by the driver he can't see down the side of the truck once he starts the turn or see to his side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Or the driver can indicate early and wait for the left lane to clear, although a co driver would also be handy, but in this modern world of cheap goods and labour, it simply won't be done until it is a legal requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Or the driver can indicate early and wait for the left lane to clear, although a co driver would also be handy, but in this modern world of cheap goods and labour, it simply won't be done until it is a legal requirement.

the co driver has no legal standing, if he tells the driver its clear and he hits something its the drivers fault
    a co driver can't get out and stop traffic so there's not much benefit as it stands to having a co driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

ganmo wrote: »
    the co driver has no legal standing, if he tells the driver its clear and he hits something its the drivers fault
    a co driver can't get out and stop traffic so there's not much benefit as it stands to having a co driver

Your correct, I still think however it's better than blindly swinging a left with no indication of what's going on down the side of the truck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I know this, I was just saying it would still be a beneficial idea. No different than the person they have at the entrance to a site, unless they have a road closure order, they have no legal standing, it is still done though and often part of the safety statement.

A similar thing came up recently here where a poster was giving out about a guy in Hi Vis halting warning traffic while a truck reversed out. He had no legal right to do this but there has to be a bit of common sense at a certain point. It will also be something agreed to with the local council that if they don't have someone there doing this, they won't be allowed do their job. So they may have no legal standing but they do have a job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Encountered all sorts of gobsh!tes this morning, had a ped step out in front of me (onto the cycle track) only missed them by mm's, braking heavy and trying to get their attention (totally oblivious to me existence). Nearly lost the bike under heavy braking after a car pulled out in front of me coming down hill at the Mater, could feel the bike fishtailing under me.

Then I rear ended a fellow cyclist who didn't understand the concept of green lights meaning go! Taking off from the lights, initially he took off but then jammed on to a stop for no apparent reason, whilst I was signalling a left hand turn, I hit him and got tangled up in his bike and was almost rear ended by the cyclist behind me, was all very sudden. Very low speed so no damage done but it's hard to stop suddenly when you've only one hand on the bike!

Know you weren't in the wrong on these, but brave man going down that Mater hill at any speed!! Road surface is brutal and all sort of turns for cars to turn into/come out of esp with the hospital there... I always have a hand on the brakes on that stretch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Know you weren't in the wrong on these, but brave man going down that Mater hill at any speed!! Road surface is brutal and all sort of turns for cars to turn into/come out of esp with the hospital there... I always have a hand on the brakes on that stretch..

Traffic is usually light at the time I'm going down there so I normally take the lane and hover over the brakes (that's probably what saved me from hitting the back of him), just happened to be invisible this morning at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He doesn't need legal standing to look out the window and tell his mate when there is a car or cyclist or pedestrian about to be crushed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement