Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ballyboughal this morning. Travelling up a narrow country lane, five of us. One of those ones with grass in the middle. As we rounded the corner, we saw a tractor coming against us. He was about 50 meters away. It was a massive one - taking up all but about 2 feet of the road. We immediately singled up.

Guy in the tractor continues towards us, not even making an effort to slow or brake. Having those massive wheels pass you with inches to spare is a bit unsettling. He knew what he was doing though, as he passed us he stopped and roared from his rear window “you don’t own the fcukin road you know” and continued on.

I’m sure he had something important like a field to plough that was far more important than the safety of the 5 people he almost hit. What an absolute cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ballyboughal this morning... he stopped and roared from his rear window “you don’t own the fcukin road you know” and continued on.

Hard to remember at the time, but you should have shouted back something like “…and neither do you - think about that!”

People who shout obvious cr4p at you should have it reflected back at them, as 99% of the time it works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

He knew what he was doing though, as he passed us he stopped and roared from his rear window “you don’t own the fcukin road you know” and continued on.

The irony.

On the flip side, while out cycling in the past month I have met a bunch of tractors out hedge trimming. All but one stopped completely (including the trimmer) as I passed to avoid throwing trimmings out at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Seeing as this is the near miss thread is anyone using the Fly 6CE rear camera/light on their commutes.   I've read it decent enough but is plagued with issues from not holding charge to water ingress to firmware issues. Then again you only always read on forums from the people who are unhappy with a purchase.  Just wondering if any boardsies are using it and does it stand up as a good rear light especially in the day ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ballyboughal this morning.
    what are the bets he was flinging mud and stones over the road and neglecting to clean up after him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Flaccus wrote: »
    Seeing as this is the near miss thread is anyone using the Fly 6CE rear camera/light on their commutes.   I've read it decent enough but is plagued with issues from not holding charge to water ingress to firmware issues. Then again you only always read on forums from the people who are unhappy with a purchase.  Just wondering if any boardsies are using it and does it stand up as a good rear light especially in the day ?

I got the first gen version on sale recently. It’s an excellent light, multiple strobe and brightness settings. It records in avi so can be a little temperamental with Mac, but overall very good. I do find the price of the newer model and the fly12 a little steep, but if you can find the 6 on sale I’d go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Pinch Flat wrote:
    Ballyboughal this morning. Travelling up a narrow country lane, five of us. One of those ones with grass in the middle. As we rounded the corner, we saw a tractor coming against us. He was about 50 meters away. It was a massive one - taking up all but about 2 feet of the road. We immediately singled up.

Had a similar experience with an oil tanker in the same locality on Saturday. He could have inched in slightly to a driveway to allow me pass but no, he kept on coming. Bit of a hairy experience with a ditch to my left. Met him again when I was doing a loop around Ballyboughal and stared him out of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

At about 2:20,

Pardon the language a few seconds later

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

CramCycle wrote: »
    At about 2:20,

Pardon the language a few seconds later

Are you going to contact the company and report the driver? (I would)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Are you going to contact the company and report the driver? (I would)

deffo needs reporting no need for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

deffo needs reporting no need for that

Happens on a daily basis...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

main difference is u can clearly see his tyres on the inside of the cycle lane at 2:26

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

buffalo wrote: »
    You would have deliberately hit a 13-14 year old girl to teach her a lesson? Maybe say that sentence out loud and see how it sounds.

Hey hank, next time maybe put the age in the post so, am I psychic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

italodisco wrote: »
    Hey hank, next time maybe put the age in the post so, am I psychic?

I'm just guessing. I'm interested though - at what age do you think it's okay to hit a stranger in the street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

buffalo wrote: »
    I'm just guessing. I'm interested though - at what age do you think it's okay to hit a stranger in the street?

The answer to that seems to depend on the mode of transport of those involved.

amcalester wrote: »
    The answer to that seems to depend on the mode of transport of those involved.

If an adult steps out and pulls a stunt like that being smart then I'm not swerving out of the way.

Is that alright hun

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

If an adult steps out and pulls a stunt like that being smart then I'm not swerving out of the way.

Is that alright hun

but you need to protect the vulnerable road user! :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is that alright hun
    that's gonna hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

that's gonna hurt.
    What's that phrase again? Something like, better to be right and dead... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TheChizler wrote: »
    What's that phrase again? Something like, better to be right and dead... :rolleyes:

I know plenty who'd have it chizelled onto their tombstone with foolish pride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is that alright hun
    There's a good chance that you will take the brunt of the collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

There's a good chance that you will take the brunt of the collision.

People do stupid things on bikes on foot and in motors. Punishing this with a collision is just about the stupidest most callous thing I've heard today. Where do you think punishment passes come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

People do stupid things on bikes on foot and in motors. Punishing this with a collision is just about the stupidest most callous thing I've heard today. Where do you think punishment passes come from?
    I gave a fuller response first time round

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108475885&postcount=6352

Yes that's wonderful we know we know, good lad good lad top shout xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If an adult steps out and pulls a stunt like that being smart then I'm not swerving out of the way....
    I doubt very much that anyone pulled "a stunt' or was 'being smart'. It's just an unawareness of what going on around them. People do it all the time and you need to learn to accept it and react accordingly. Hopefully you don't drive on public roads.

very friendly motorist this morning, who was cheerfully persistent in bringing to my attention my mistake that i hadn't spotted there's a bike path on leopardstown road. at one point he pulled in in front of me, clearly concerned that i was misunderstanding his beeping, gesticulating, and shouting. if only all motorists could be as conscientious.

Yes that's wonderful we know we know, good lad good lad top shout xxx
    mod note - stop with the antagonistic posts, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Is that alright hun

So if a bike pulls out in front of car, its ok for the car to hit the bike, that's what your saying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Have to be so wary of peds, because an avoidance manoeuvre can put a person in the path of a car, and a lot of motorists think it their sovereign right to go as fast as the road allows, posted speed limit, slower or law-abiding drivers, bicycles, whoever, be damned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Had a driver attempt a close yesterday evening on my way home. It happened on the Rosbrien Rd outbound which is a narrow enough road and probably my own fault for not taking a primary position. Motorist couldn't have been behind me for more than a minute or so, decided to pass me so much i could have put my hand on the bonnet. I raised my arm and he backed off but when he had space, he pulled up beside me to tell me he gave me plenty of space.

Lesson to take, be more confident in staying the lane

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement